Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash

Average price: $7.21

Brand: Neutrogena

Most helpful review

By Anonymous on 10/23/2012

When I first got this product, I liked it. I thought it smelled very fresh, it felt like it was working at first.However, it made my face feel very tight after I used it. After about a week, my skin started to dry out and chap. It was also very itchy. It helped clear the acne slightly, but it's still there. So I wouldn't recommend this..

Pros:
  • Helps clear acne slightly.
  • Smells good.
Cons:
  • Dries out and chaps skin.
  • Makes skin feel tight after applied.
  • Makes skin itch.

10 out of 14 people found this review helpful

Water, Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Cocamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Propylene Glycol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Extract, C12-15 Alkyl Lactate, Peg-80 Sorbitan Laurate, Disodium Edta, Benzalkonium Chloride , Yellow 5, Red 40, Fragrance.

Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash, 6 Ounce (Pack of 3)
updated: 04/17/2014 14:53 UTC
Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash, 6 Ounce
updated: 04/17/2014 14:53 UTC

Member reviews

“Best salicylic acid wash for me”
By on

I've been using this product for 3 months now and i must say that it works well; once used religiously.The salicylic acid MUST dry out the acne, as that is its purpose so a moisturizer would definitely be needed. So give it a try, once you don't have sensitive skin.

Pros

• Dries out acne
  • Inexpensive
  • Pleasant scent

Cons

• Dries out skin
  • Makes the skin surrounding your lips become ashy
  • for a few months
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Don't recommended if you're on various topicals”
By on

It claims that it's a gentle cleanser, and since I use Epiduo and Clindamycin, I decided to give it a shot. About 2 days into using it my face was becoming very dry and would burn for at least an hour after I applied my topicals. One day, it went so far as to practically burn the first layer of skin on my chin raw. I asked my derm about it and she told me that while it is generally a good cleanser, she doesn't recommend it for someone, such as myself, that uses various topicals. So make sure to look up if your topicals have harsh interactions with this cleanser before you try it out!

Pros

[not submitted]

Cons

• Dries out skin
  • Irritates when used with other topicals
  • for about a week
  • $ 6
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“Not very good”
By on

First of all, I have been using this wash long before I started The Regimen, and I did not experience any skin tightening, dryness or irritation at all. But then again, it didn't really help clear any breakouts and my skin was still shiny and oily, so it doesn't really work. I didn't want to spend money on a new wash when I started the Regimen so I continued using this as my face wash. I will switch to the Acne.org cleanser once it's gone.

Pros

• Smells good
  • Relatively cheap

Cons

• Doesn't clear acne
  • May irritate
  • $ 6.5
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“I Don't Recommend.”
By on

the pros and cons tell all…not a very effective acne cleanser AT ALL.

Pros

• Smells okay
  • Kinda gets rid of acne

Cons

• Makes your skin REALLA dry!
  • Your skin feels extremely tight!
  • If you have a darker skin tone, it makes you ashy around your lips!
  • for about a week
  • $ 5
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“Stay away!!!”
By on

I picked this up at the store by accident thinking it was a different product. I have combo dry skin. I used this one time at night to clear up two little pimples and the next day my skin was so red and dry and painful to the touch! I've been applying my regular moisturizer Embryolisse with Josie Maran argan oil for the past few nights and it's been helping but my skin was not even this dry when I was on Accutane and I only used this cleanser once! I will say that the little pimples I had went away so maybe this is ok for EXTREMELY oily skin but even then only use it sparingly because this stuff is scary!

Pros

[not submitted]

Cons

• Dries out skin
  • Flaky burning skin
  • Irritates and reddens skin
  • for a day or two
  • $ 6
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“Do not buy”
By on

First time I used it, it caused all my blemishes to get red, irritated, and itchy. It was on sale so fortunately I didn't pay as much as others did, but I'm sad because it's still a waste. Bought it on a whim and realized after that I should've checked the reviews. Never making that mistake again.

Also think I'm allergic because it's made my skin itchy all over.

Pros

[not submitted]

Cons

• Reddens skin
  • Irritating
  • Expensive
  • for a day or two
  • $ 5.5
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“Best salicyclic acid wash for me”
By on

I went from using zapzyt and persagel benzoyl peroxide treatments (not at the same time) to using this product and neutrogena's aha/bha astringent and my moderate acne (and cystic acne) has improved 100%! I no longer have acne... just some scars which finally have time to improve since no new pimples have formed.

Pros

• Face is very clean
  • Foams like soap
  • Smell is pleasant

Cons

[not submitted]
  • for about a month
  • $ 7
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“WORST FACE WASH EVER!!!!”
By on

This is the worst face wash I have ever used! It has burnt and peeled my skin red raw, also I've been off school because my skin looks that bad! I 100% do not recommend this product to anyone, it ruins your skin! I'm only young so very self conscious and this has literally ruined my life at the moment, do not try this product, you will regret it! I wouldn't even give it one star but it's not letting me do none!

Pros

[not submitted]

Cons

• Peels skin
  • Makes skin really really really dry
  • Everything
  • for about a week
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“not a very satisfying product”
By on

This product was the first acne treatment that i have used and about 2 weeks into using this product it worked then after a month or so i started to breakout alot even when not close to my memstrual cycle ,it definitely dried my face alot and i have oily skin! I figured it was a bit too harsh and it stopped working after 2 months it seemed that it "seti in" and my skin got accustom to it.

Pros

• works for about 2 weeks
  • inexpensive
  • can be found anywhere

Cons

• unevens complexion (im fairly dark skinned and i had discoloration)
  • dries face
  • irritation
  • for a few months
  • $ 49
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“No.”
By on

I was excited to use this when it came out. Everyone was raving about it in magazines, and it even had awards for best facial cleanser. I beg to differ. First off, it smells horrible. Almost too medicated. Secondly, it dried me out so bad! I don't see why it's getting awards. I haven't seen anyone use this that I know of. Neutrogena is a little overrated in opinion. Most of their products are harsh or don't work at all. Instead of clearing my face, it dried my face and made me breakout more.

Pros

• Pump bottle

Cons

• Smells
  • Terribly drying
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 8
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.