Neutrogena Naturals Purifying Facial Cleanser reviews

3.5/5 - 17 reviews

Brand: Neutrogena

Purified Water, Cocamidopropyl Betaine (coconut derived), Decyl Glucoside (corn/coconut/palm kernel), Vegetable Glycerin, Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine (coconut/palm kernel derived), Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate (coconut/palm kernel derived), Salix Alba (Willow Bark) Extract (White Willow Bark), Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride (Guar Bean derived), Sodium Benzoate (*), Fragrance (*).

Neutrogena Naturals Purifying Facial Cleanser, 6 fl oz
updated: 11/22/2014 00:26 UTC

Slightly too drying
Reviewed on July 30, 2013

This left my face feeling clean and fresh immediately after washing, but later in the day my face would begin to feel tight even without having put on benzoyl peroxide (I am on the Regimen). I think the drying agent must be the salix alba extract, which I had no idea was a natural form of salicylic acid. I chose this product because it was "natural" (not really all-natural) and didn't have any comedogenic ingredients, and also because I usually like Neutrogena products. But I could easily buy a cleanser that is less drying, smells better (the smell was too fruity for my taste), and lathers better as well.

Really like it
Reviewed on July 17, 2013

My skin is usually very red and bumpy, and this cleanser completely smoothed it out. My skin is very oily and this cut through all the oil and makeup, and even made parts of my skin dry, which no other product has been able to do. When used with a light moisturizer, this is perfect for my skin.

Reviewed on March 2, 2013

This product looked attractive for its "natural" qualities. However, it did not feel natural. This product left my face tight, red and irritated which broke me out.

Reviewed on July 1, 2012

When I wash my face in the shower, my entire bathroom becomes consumed with this cleanser's scent and it lingers for a while. I had to stop using it after 2 days because it absolutely parched my skin - it was as if i put rubbing alcohol on my face... very tight and dry. Went back to my old cleanser.

Reviewed on December 10, 2011

I'll admit it gets every last pigment of make-up off my face which is impressive. But it's successful in that because it's so harsh! Gave me dry, red, bumpy patches that I'd never had before. Also smells like some sort of terrible synthetic fruit punch.

It's really not as natural as Neutrogena claims.

For example: "To make cocamidopropyl betaine one reacts coconut oil with 3-dimethylaminoproplylamine (DMAPA) producing cocamidopropyl dimethylamine, which is then allowed to react with sodium monochloroacetate to get CAPB (cocamidopropyl betaine)."

"Cocamidopropyl hydroxysultaine (CAHS) is a synthetic amphoteric surfactant from the hydroxysultaine group"

Also includes mysterious unlisted "fragrance" chemicals.

Reviewed on September 5, 2011

I had high hopes , was very exited when I was about to purchase this item but sadly it didn't work. I only used it for a week and I know maybe I should have given it a shot for more longer but my skin was just horrible . It made me break out and it was a bit drying too. I had yo give it to another family memeber . I didn't like it whatsoever .

Reviewed on August 30, 2011

I've been using this product for about 3 weeks, in conjunction with the Purifying Pore Scrub. At first, it worked great and i was really excited. But then I started getting little bumps on my forehead, and a few cystic zits. Now, 3 weeks later, I have a LOT of small bumps on my upper forehead, and I've never developed anything like that before. Also, this product does help prevent whiteheads, but now when I do get a pimple, it tends to be a huge, cystic, painful one that won't go away for weeks. On the plus side, the skin that doesn't have acne on it looks very nice.

Reviewed on August 27, 2011

I really like this product. I am post Accutane almost two years ago, and have been on maintenance Retin-A with a moisturizer. I wasn't quite as clear as I wanted to be, and decided to try a Salicylic Acid wash instead of the sensitive skin wash I was using (Retin-A works on a deeper level, whereas SA stays closer to the surface, helping to clear blackheads and clogged pores). I liked this wash b/c the ingredient list is simple (I've found less is more with acne) with no harsh sulfates, and it has Willow Bark extract as a source of Salicylic Acid. Natural SA from Willow Bark is supposed to be less irritating than synthetic SA, and has antiseptic properties. I did have an initial breakout for around a week and a half, but i knew what it was and I stuck with it. Any retinoid (Differin, Retin-A, Alpha Hydroxy Acid, Salicylic Acid) is going to cause an initial breakout as it increases the rate of skin turnover and anything deep comes to the surface. This wash has complimented my Retin-A and lotion regimen very well and added the 'boost' I needed for my skin to be clear. I'm not sure about it's effectiveness in clearing acne when used on it's own though. I listed in "cons" that it can by slightly drying b/c the very first time I washed with it, my face did feel a little tight afterward. However, this could have been due to the fact that my regular use of Retin-A makes my skin more prone to sensitivity, and/or the SA use along with Retin-A was dryng at first. It has not made me dry since, but I do use a lotion.

Reviewed on August 23, 2011

Got this when I forgot my glycolic cleanser on vacation. I use this 3x a day, in the morning to freshen up, in the afternoon to wash off chlorine, and then in the evening. The first thing I noticed was that I had no zits on my face! Only a spot or two on their way out. My skin also feels very smooth and soft, which is exciting because few cleansers completely even out my complexion. I'm only giving 4 stars to make room for error since it's so soon. I use this with neutrogena 2.5% bp and origins a perfect world moisturizer.