Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser

Brand: Neutrogena

Most helpful review

By Dionlai, Hong Kong on 06/10/2011
thumbnail

i am suffering from serious breakouts for a month, and everyday after i go to school, my whole forehead is like itchy and full of red acne, but i just use it for two days, and is swear i see a difference , my redness are gone and the acne is less itchy. Actually i try this product before, but after i used it up, i think it is too expensive so i didn't use it again, but somehow it is the best cleanser i have used.

Pros:
  • it is really good for day to combination skin
  • good at healing acne
Cons:
  • kinda expensive to teenagers

130 out of 231 people found this review helpful

Water (Purified), Glycerin, Capric/Caprylic Stearic Triglyceride, Cetyl Ricinoleate, Isohexadecane, TEA Cocoyl Glutamate, Methyl Glucose Sesquistearate, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Alcohol, PEG 40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, PEG 20 Methyl Glucose Sesquistearate, Bisabolol (L-Alpha), Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate (Licorice Root), Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Acrylates/C10 30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Triethanolamine, BHT, Geranium, Dipropylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Propylparaben, Methylparaben.

Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser, 6.7 fl oz
updated: 04/16/2014 12:03 UTC
Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser, 6.7 Ounce
updated: 04/16/2014 12:03 UTC

Member reviews

“Simple, gentle”
By on

This is a nice cleanser for sensitive skin! It didn't make my face red/burn

It doesn't really help with getting rid of acne though..I saw no difference

Pros

• Gentle

Cons

• Doesn't help acne
  • Expensive
  • for a few months
  • $ 12
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Not what I had expected.”
By on

While others may be sucessful when trying this cleanser, I found it to be irritating to my senesitive skin. It burned upon application and did not have any moisturizing affects at all. However, everyone's skin is different

Pros

• Relatively inexpensive
  • Non-overdrying

Cons

• Irritated Acne
  • Burns
  • Redness
  • for about a week
  • $ 6
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“My favorite non-foaming cleanser”
By on

This product looks like a sort of thick milk when it is dispensed. It has a fantastic milky texture which is ultra-gentle and kind to the skin. It washes off well and leaves the skin nice and moist. The formulators at Neutrogena did a bang up job on this product. It can be a little harder to find on store shelves, but it's worth the effort. As far as non-foaming cleansers go, this one is my favorite. I prefer it to Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser.

Pros

• Ultra-gentle
  • Moisturizing - great for super dry skin
  • Milky texture feels "kind" to the skin

Cons

• Not great to use as a "shave cream", although it will work in a pinch
  • More expensive than Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser per ounce
  • for about a month
  • $ 8
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I like this cleanser a lot. I finally realized that gentle cleansing is key when you have acne :) So far no breakouts, which is definitely the goal here.

Pros

• gentle
  • no fragrance
  • no irritation so far

Cons

• none so far
  • moderate
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 7
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I used this product a few times, and I've realized that it breaks me out along my jawline -- at first, not in acne, but more like an allergic reaction. Then, it breaks me out in acne. I'm really disappointed because I love how it doesn't dry my skin out...but it just isn't going to work out, I suppose.

Oh, well. I hope it works out for others :)

Pros

• does not dry my skin out, at all, and is in fact very moisturizing

Cons

• breaks me out, minutes after using it :(
  • very light
  • inconsistently
  • $ 6.99
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I think this is one of Neutrogena's better products. Although it might not be the best at eliminating acne (gel or foaming gel cleansers are more effective, in my opinion), it's still a great cleanser if you have minor, minor blemishes that appear around that time of the month or just very small whiteheads. If you have those bigger, more severe red breakouts on the side of your cheeks, this will not clear it. Sometimes, I make the mistake of purchasing harsh products or I have a reaction to a product I try. This cleanser will always calm my skin down. If I use it for a couple days after an offensive product irritated my skin, my skin will look noticibly less red and feel more comfortable. This does not help with oil production whatsoever so don't get your hopes up about that. Overall though, this is an adequate product for everyday use but not very good if you have oily skin like I did. I do love that it doesn't have sulfates because those can really irritate sensitive skin. But I am disappointed that they have parabens. But best of luck finding your perfect product!

Pros

• Extra gentle :P (just like it claimed)
  • Soothing smell
  • Easy to spread
  • Good amount for the price
  • Lasts a while
  • Great if you have redness you need to calm down
  • Great if you like the skin to feel moisturized after washing
  • NO SLS!!! :D

Cons

• Doesn't quite decrease oil buildup
  • Must be rinsed extra well to avoid leaving a film on the skin
  • Can clear minor blemishes (ie: tiny whiteheads) but not he more severe ones that I have on the sides of my cheeks (ie: big red pimples that hurt to the touch)
  • Has parabens
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • $ 6.99

By on

This is my favorite cleanser! Yay!

Leaves skin soft and smooth feeling, and puts moisture back into skin. I've never felt that with any other face wash, so its nice. I don't get that tight, stripped skin feeling when i dry off.

If you know what cetaphls texture is like, this stuff is more lotiony, like its white and creamy, which i think is why it works better at taking off makeup than cetaphil.

Works for me, may work for you. Happy experimenting!

Pros

• Cleanses well, takes off makeup
  • Moisturizes :)

Cons

• None that I can think of.
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • $ 5
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

This is the best cleanser I have ever used! After using Neutrogena skin ID for about a month and a half (on and off) my skin was tight and red and my skin was probably the wost it's been in a while. I had cysts and it was irritating. This doesn't tighten my skin and makes it feel super healthy!

I use it along with the olay face brush because it does not lather that much. Afterwards I put on the Aveeno clear complexion moisterizer and my skin is clear, smooth, and healing. I recommend this cleanser for anyone with sensative skin.

Pros

• Leaves skin soft and not tight
  • Combats redness
  • Doesn't aggravate acne

Cons

• It doesn't lather much
  • Hear that it doesn't remove makeup, I don't wear much
  • moderate
  • for about a week
  • $ 8
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I love this cleanser, I have spent so much money trying to find the right one and finally I've found it! I used to have little bumps everywhere on my face (clogged pores) and after using this for a few weeks they're pretty much gone and I get no new breakouts (apart from the occasionally hormonal one). it's really gentle and I always wake up with baby-soft skin. mum used a bit of mine once and loves it too so she keeps stealing it! I would recommend this to anyone with sensitive/normal skin who just wants a good cleanser to help clear up their face.

Pros

• makes skin so soft, doesn't make me break out

Cons

• doesn't always remove makeup but i normally cleanse twice or use a tissue to remove excess
  • light
  • for a few months
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

It works!

I wash my face with this in the morning and at night before bed. After that I put some witch hazel on a cotton swab and apply all over my face, then once that drys I apply a spot treatment of 2.5% Benzoil peroxide on the area where breakouts usually occer. Once a day I exfoliate with a gentle scrub ( don't scrub your face like crazy... lightly rub) before this whole process.

Pros

• Once I started using this product my breakout across my chin cleared up and no other pimples have returned..which is usually what happens.

Cons

• May not remove all your makeup if you kind of wear a lot. You'll have to combine with another product like a makeup removing wipe.
  • moderate
  • for a few weeks
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.