Nature Made Coconut Oil reviews

4.1/5 - 133 reviews

Brand: Nature Made

Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (Organic).

A safe product for acne sufferers!
Reviewed on February 13, 2015

I started using Coconut oil around one to two years ago, at which time I was suffering from a lot of cystic acne; mostly on my cheeks and chin area.

I no longer experience acne as bad as I used to but I still do suffer a little around my chin area.

I'm sure that coconut oil has had a big part to play in the significant reduction of my acne. I don't believe it's ever caused me to break etc and instead all it seems to have done is help clear my acne as well as improve my skins overall appearance. I wouldn't say that is has absolutely AMAZING results but it's definitely a product worth investing in. I love that it's so moisturising, it smells good, it makes my skin glow, look more natural and especially love that's it's 100% natural.

I apply coconut oil in a few ways; I apply it to a clean face as an overnight moisturiser (sometimes adding a few drops of tea-tree oil). I apply it in the morning to a makeup free face by dampening my face with warm water, applying the product, rinsing once and then drying or in the evening in the same way to remove my makeup, using a cotton pad to get rid of the excess and also if I'm feeling lazy I just apply it directly onto my face when wearing makeup as a makeup remover using cotton pads.

My favourite method is to applying it every morning with warm water before applying make up. It makes your skin silky smooth, natural looking and glowing and I find my makeup applies really well after.

I've re-purchased coconut oil many times and I can't see myself stopping repurchasing it ever!

discipline required
Reviewed on January 15, 2015

My particular brand of coconut oil has a line on it saying "Take one tablespoon per day or as instructed by your practitioner" which is how I discovered that I love eating coconut oil so much I have literally eaten it until I've been sick. I can't open the jar without eating it. This is bad because it is essentially a jar of fat.

It's a pretty good moisturizer but too oily for my hair. Also it's delicious. Time will yet tell if it's any good (internally or not) for clearing/preventing acne

Not for me
Reviewed on January 5, 2015

Broke me out even more.

Depends on the type of skin you have......

Made me break out
Reviewed on December 15, 2014

yeah... what a bummer. Tried SO many times, even mixed it with green tea but still made me break out. Wasn't meant for my overly-sensitive skin. :(

My skin HATES coconut oil
Reviewed on December 10, 2014

Coconut oil has done nothing but make my acne WORSE. I used coconut oil as my makeupn remover, thinking it would be a great alternative for virgin olive oil (which is very expensive in my country). It tooks months of cystic acne before I realized that it was the coconut oil causing it. So naturally I stopped.

I've been under acne treatment for almost two months now, and my skin has been gettig clearer. But then two weeks after I started using a new bb cream, my cystic acne started coming back! I even began getting cystic acne on my forehead, which has been clear for months! When I checked, one of the ingredients of the bb cream was, you guessed it, COCONUT OIL. The bb cream was not cheap, so of course I'm bummed that now I have to toss it because of one ingredient.

For all the rave reviews of coconut oil here, acne prone people BEWARE still. Many, many sites state that coconut oil is HIGHLY comedogenic. A rating of 4! So while it might work wonders on some, acne prone people should still be careful before using this.

by saibo on 12/15/2014 07:17
maybe your allergic to coconut
by Piggy26 on 01/20/2015 05:37
I never had cystic acne until I started using coconut oil. How did you get rid of the cystic acne from coconut oil?? I have stopped using coconut oil almost 2 months ago and I still get cystic acne on my cheeks.
I will never put face wash on my face again.
Reviewed on November 14, 2014

I wanted to stop by and put a review out there about my personal coconut oil success. I don't use certified organic, but regular Louann coconut oil. It is non-hydrogonated, non-GMO. I purchase in the baking isle of the grocery for about $6 and go through a jar every 6-8 weeks. I used to have extremely oily skin that would get huge volcanic like pimples about once or twice a year and always had those pesky blackheads, but otherwise, acne was something always on my heels, but not quite a conquerer of my skin. Now on to the good stuff.

I startd using the OCM (oil cleansing method) about a year a go using jojoba oil and keeping up with my face wash regiment. I wasn't getting any of the results I hoped for. Then I read a blog published by a man who hasn't used soap in over a year. Sounds nasty at first, but stay with me. To basically summarize, you only use soap on the parts that matter if you know what I mean *wink wink* and ONLY a warm, soft washcloth to "wash" the rest of your body and to exfoliate while in the shower. Once you've rinsed and turned off the shower, smear the oil on your whole body while still wet- face too. Then towel dry. This will take off the excess oil. I should say now that I still wash my hair like normal, and sometimes I still use regular soap. Like maybe once a month. But I have not used face wash in almost a year. I will never put soap on my face again. If you google coconut oil, you will be amazed by the anti bacterial property it possesses and the science about how like dissolves like etc...I sometimes wash my face with the coconut oil then rinse with warm water then smear a small amount after the makeup has been rinsed away and pat dry. My husband comments on my skin regularly and I routinely have people tell me I look much younger than I am. And that oily skin I used to have? No more. I am not exaggerating when i say I haven't used foundation, or powder on my skin in months. I am SO in love with my skin now that I wouldn't dare put anything on it other than a quick swipe of bronzer. I did get little white heads occasionally usually around my my mouth that I finally linked to teeth brushing! So now I put a little oil after brushing.

love love love
Reviewed on October 7, 2014

coconut oil is literally my holy grail. i use a different brand than the one showed, though. i slather some on my face in the morning and before bed and my skin is always so smooth and clear. it gets rid of blemishes and blackheads so quickly it replaces any acne treatment out there. and the best part is that its so cheap, i love it

Great oil, but not for acne
Reviewed on September 15, 2014

Let me start by saying that I love coconut oil. Eye makeup remover, moisturizer, hair conditioner... But it is simply not a good choice for acne prone skin. Every oil has a comedogenic rating (how likely it is to clog pores) ranging from 0-5. Zero doesn't clog pores, 5 is very likely to clog pores. Coconut oil is around a 4. More beneficial options for acne prone skin would be hemp seed oil or jojoba oil, rating a 0 and 2 respectively. But by all means, keep slathering the deliciously scented coconut stuff all over your legs and hair :) Great moisturizer!

Here are some sites with more information. They didn't cite their sources very well, but the info is consistent with everything else I've read:

https://[link removed]

[link removed]

by MickJ on 09/15/2014 22:49
Hmmm it removed my links. Well, if you Google "beneficial botanicals comedogenic ratings" and "naked truth beauty choosing the best oil for your skin," you should be able to find the same sites.
Might have cause a moderate bump or two, but won't stop using.
Reviewed on August 22, 2014

Until I found an alternative of course. But really, it is just.. wonderful. Made my skin soft and smooth, glowing and porcelain-like. Really, really huuuge improvement for my skin after using this and my friend even asked me if I had done a facial. Oil production is also decreased significantly, but not completely. It gives my skin a dewy complexion, which is a plus because I'm not a matte-look fan.

I don't know why, but my under-eye wrinkles are less obvious. This might be a product of something else, IDK. Just telling you guys.

And yeah.. Like other people said, coconut oil does break me out. It gave me one or two moderate bumps. You know, the kind of acne that isn't cystic but isn't mild either? Like a red spot? Yeah.. But that might be because I excitingly applies it 3 times a day and just wipe it off with a dry towel :P . So use sparingly guys.

by ripple247 on 08/22/2014 13:28
OOh and forgot to add. It made my hair softer and it cured my kerastosis pillaris! How could I forget that?
by cBrogni on 08/24/2014 04:59
Ripple247 how did you apply it to cure your KP? And how long did it take to get it cleared?
by cBrogni on 08/24/2014 14:53
Obsessed is an understatement!
Reviewed on July 8, 2014

I'm obsessed. I've been using coconut oil for literally everything (moisturizer, lotion, diaper rash cream, homemade deodorant, etc., etc.) I wanted to use something without chemicals. I was weary about putting an oil on my face when I have acne prone skin (been pretty clear for about 2 years now), but this stuff is amazing. While researching I found that is has natural antibacterial/anti-fungal properties and won't clog pores. It also makes an awesome lip balm and is great as an anti-aging cream. I slather it under my eyes and on my neck before bed. I can't be absolutely positive, but I also read online that it has natural spf it in.

I've also found it takes the redness out my skin and blemishes. LOVE IT!

by CatieMyers84 on 11/14/2014 01:32
I am in love with the stuff too!! Its such an amazing oil.