Mircette Oral Contraceptives reviews

3.8/5 - 37 reviews

Brand: Mircette

White Round Tablets
Desogestrel, 0.02 mg Ethinyl Estradiol.

Colloidal silicon dioxide, hypromellose, lactose monohydrate, polyethylene glycol, povidone, pregelatinized starch, stearic acid and vitamin E, followed by 2 inert light-green round tablets with the following inactive ingredients: FD&C blue no. 1 aluminum lake, FD &C yellow no. 6 aluminum lake, D&C yellow no. 10 aluminum lake, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose and pregelatinized starch.

Yellow Round Tablets
0.01 mg Ethinyl Estradiol.

Inactive ingredients:
Colloidal silicon dioxide, D&C yellow no. 10, aluminum lake, FD&C yellow no. 6 aluminum lake, hypromellose, lactose monohydrate, polyethylene glycol, povidone, polysorbate 80, pregelatinized starch, stearic acid, titanium dioxide and vitamin E.

Saved My Sanity
Reviewed on June 10, 2013

I've been on Mircette nonstop for 15 years to control my very severe cystic acne with excellent results. I had painful cysts all over my face covering every inch except for my eyelids. I couldn't smile because it was so painful. By the sixth month of starting Mircette, my skin was 98% clear. I keep receiving compliments on how beautiful my skin is. I don't use any special acne topical treatments or cleansers. I definitely think the root of my acne is hormonal. I had a boyish stick figure type of body. I did not develop hips or breasts until I started this pill. I gained weight in the right places. Standing at 5'5" I went from 95lbs at age 18 to 118lbs today at age 35. My child-like face went through feminizing changes which men found attractive. Side effects? A bit depressed, a bit tired, a little out of breath climbing up stairs, no libido, but these problems are nothing compared to the torture I went through with severe acne. Recent blood tests show normal liver functions, but very high triglycerides and LDL, high inflammation, low testosterone. I read birth control pills can spike inflammation. But I think I inherited metabolic syndrome. My mother has diabetes and all her adult life she always had oily skin with huge pores. I can no longer take Mircette because it's now causing me hypoglycemia and insomnia, problems which I've never had before. Birth control pills can cause insulin resistance which poses a high risk for diabetes. Mircette was really a good friend to me all these years but now I must look for a different answer.

Reviewed on March 31, 2012

This birth control seems to be a little more effective than the tri-spintec i was on but my previously clear skin is breaking out and i have gone up 2 cup sizes which is quite annoying, although so far it is better than the last set of pills i was on maybe i need to adjust.

Reviewed on January 21, 2012

I've been on Mircette for over 4 years. I have tried multiple birth control pills including the generic form of Mircette (had a terrible experience on the generic). I love Mircette because my periods usually only last about 4 days and are extremely light. I also feel since there are no true "sugar pills" with Mircette it keeps my mood more consistent. I would definitely recommend this birth control, but what everyone needs to remember one pill doesn't work the same in everyone....hence all the conflicting reviews and numerous options for birth control. I choose to pay the branded price ($25 for me) because as you all know once you have had a bad experience with one birth control and you finally find the one that works for you IT'S WORTH IT!

Reviewed on November 14, 2011

I was on the pill for two months and it did absolutly nothing to help me, It actually cause me to get blood clots in my lungs and put me in the hospitol, It didn't clear any acne and it caused me extreme stomachpain. I gained weight while taking this pill. NeVER NEVER take this pill!

Reviewed on September 20, 2011

I have used Mircette for 5 years and love it! I got hooked after having no success with Yasmin (intense appetite) or with Orthotricyclen Lo (appetite, moodiness). I am a thin person from a thin family and I am very sensitive to the slightest hormone supplementation. With Mircette, the breast tenderness around the time of my period is inconvenient, and I feel like my libido isn't what it should be for my age of 29 years old. The vaginal dryness is manageable and my husband is very accommodating. I stopped Mircette 4 months ago to try Lutera, another ultra-low dose birth control, because it is only $15/month and seemed like it would be similar to Mircette. Although the severe acne side effect was unbearable and increasingly unmanageable (mainly jawline acne). I have gone back to Mircette and will stay put despite the fact that it is difficult to get and not covered by my Aetna PPO insurance. If you have to be on birth control and are very sensitive to the hormones, then this seems to be as good as it gets.

Reviewed on August 2, 2011

I am 20 years old and have been experiencing some bad acne. More moderate than anything. I used to be on Yaz in high school for my acne then (which was similar but less severe), which cleared my skin completely for about a year. However, it did cause me to gain 28 pounds, which on a petite person is quite a bit of weight. After a year of taking it, I went off Yaz, and my acne didn't return. I had clear, pretty skin for about another full year.

When it started up again I went back to the doctor, who decided it was a great idea to put me on a pill with a different hormone balance than Yaz. I currently just stopped taking the generic brand 'Kariva', more commonly known as Mircette.

I have been on this pill for a week and a half exactly. I scoured the internet looking for some kind of hope that this initial breakout stage would only last a little while, and it would get better now because it couldn't get any worse. After finding nothing, I decided last night to stop taking the pill.

I currently have the worst breakout I have ever had in my life. I have tried many different things for acne, just like everyone else here, I'm sure. But I am breaking out all over my face, every kind of acne. In places I don't normally break out. Cysts, whiteheads, blackheads, nodules. You name it. I have severe Dermatillomania and my skin looks so bad now.

For the first few days it seemed to have gotten a bit clearer to it's credit. But it just kept going downhill after that, and rapidly.

In addition to the lovely acne symptoms, I started being hungry all the time again, and I could already feel myself starting to put on weight again. My GI tract has not been at all normal or in any way regular since beginning this dreadful pill, which doesn't seem to help the acne either.

If you've read this far and are considering taking this pill, save your money and your time. It is a poison to your body, your mind, and it only makes everything wors

Reviewed on October 28, 2009

Because of the bleeding afte sex, I changed bc to Loestrin 24 Fe. I had no other side effects on this pill except weight gain and low sex drive. I gained over 40 lbs on this pill and can't stand to look at myself in a mirror. No matter what I do I can't lose the weight and keep gaining. I've had everything checked out, bloodwork, sleep study, etc... but I think it's the pill. My matabolism is very low too. I am switching back to Mircette - the name brand (no generics) next month. I am hoping I found the cause of the weight gain and I will start to lose the weight that I should have not gained. I can't be on a high level birth control otherwise I get very mooddy and Mircette never did that to me in all the years I was taking it. I didn't want to go off of it but had to because of the bleeding. I hope the bleeding doesn't come back since my body had a break from Mircette for about a year now.

Reviewed on October 28, 2009

I believe this is a great birth control pill being that it is a low dosage. I cannot agree on the sex drives but then everyone is different. This pill has worked perfectly for me! I have been taking it for 3 years and shorter and lighter periods but you still have a normal cycle, no acne, no weight gain... It worked for me just very expensive (you pay for what you get)

Reviewed on October 8, 2009

I have taken this birth control birth on a contiunous basis , no periods what so ever for 10 years. I loved it !! My hormones were always level and no cramps , no spotting. Nice skin. I never had any problems :)