Page 2 of Minocycline Oral Antibiotic reviews

3.2/5 - 1126 reviews

Brand: Minocycline

Minocycline Product Pictured:
50 mg, 75 mg, or 100 mg of Minocycline.

Magnesium stearate and starch (corn), D&C Red No. 28, D&C Yellow No. 10, gelatin, silicon dioxide, sodium lauryl sulfate and titanium dioxide.

The 100 mg capsule shell also contains black iron oxide.

Cystic acne
Reviewed on August 28, 2016

I've been taking this for several moths now,400mg.a day.I don't break out as much but I need help.I've had this problem for two years and I'm 62yrs old.some say use honey,apple cidar vinegar.HELP.I also take care of a husband with 11yrs in with Alzheimer's

by Nanomeds on 03/19/2017 05:40
Gosh, I feel for you! That's a tough road. As a health coach, I've been putting my clients on lots of probiotics both topically and for digestive system. (Try VSL #3 or something equivalently strong). Paint face with plain kefir to re-instate good bacteria. Go off conventional dairy. Experiment a couple weeks with other common irritants (eggs, wheat, soy, canola etc). Drinking raw milk homemade kefir finally corrected my cystic acne at age 35! Before I even modified my diet.
Caution
Reviewed on August 19, 2016

Take at your own risk----I started this drug around June 27th for my severe acne (paired with Aczone and neutrogina wash). I didn't really notice any side effects right off; I have a pretty strong stomach and am usually pretty immune to most forms of nausea though, so that wasn't too uncommon for me.

Around 2 weeks in I did notice the initial "purging" where my acne did get worse (I started getting some on my forehead, which I didn't used to) but by 3-4 weeks I noticed some clearing up.

By late July I was pretty stoked because I was looking way better, but by July 25th I started getting headaches. I will admit, I was being kind of stupid; I was really happy with the my face and rationalized that the drug shouldn't be acting up so late after having taken it and waited until after the 26th to stop (just to be sure it wasn't a fluke).

That was a big mistake on my part. I got THE WORST headaches that lasted 2-3 days (though I had taken my last dose on the 26th, apparently minocycline stays in your system awhile) and kept me totally bed-ridden. I couldn't move my eyes without blinding pain and nearly vomited from how much it hurt in general.

I now get to go to a doctor later to ensure I didn't develop psuedotumor cerebri (since, apparently headaches behind the eyes is one of the main symptoms of that) AND my acne is now worse---I'm going to look into birth control to see if that helps because I am now wary of antibiotics.

I considered giving this drug 1 star just because what a hellish time I had, but if I had never developed the headaches than it was working (you know, until it tried to kill me) so it may work for others, but it certainly did not work for me.

Still unsure
Reviewed on July 27, 2016

I started breaking out on my forehead around January 2016. It was mild, but my forehead became rough and bumpy. I went to the dermatologist, and he prescribed me minocycline, along with Differin and Soolantra.

After the first month or two, I started noticing slight differences. I was also having a few groups of days where I didn't have as many dark red spots. I actually thought it was working for a short time. Now, it's been 3 months, and I still have pretty bad breakouts on my forehead. I'm just not seeing any great results. My forehead still has the bumpy texture, and I still get pustules when I breakout. I haven't had a day where I don't have embarrassing sore-like zits on my face (some of it is because I pick, but I've been trying to rid myself of that habit).

My dermatologist told me it takes time for the skin to start improving for many who take minocycline, so I'm going to just wait it out for the next couple of months. If it improves, I'll give minocycline a better rating. If not, then I won't recommend this. But, everyone's skin is different, and I've read other reviews saying that it's the greatest prescription for acne.

Just hoping for the best.

by Kp88 on 10/26/2016 21:44
How is your skin doing now?!
Sucks
Reviewed on June 23, 2016

I took it for a few days, had nausea, and had splitting headaches, way worse than typical side effects. Also, it's important to note that I don't have chronic migraines or anything like that. One headache got really bad, I started having tunnel vision, then I passed out. During the time I took this I also had a lot of difficulty concentrating and completing school work (probably from the headaches!) Not worth the side effects.

It changed the color of my gums
Reviewed on June 17, 2016

I was on minocycline for about three years because my family doc refused to prescribe me anything else and refused to write me a referral for the dermatologist for the longest time. Minocycline worked kind of, but it wasn't any kind of miracle worker. I still had plenty of acne when I took it, but just a bit less. It also changed the color of my gums. It's not enough for me to notice, but it was enough for my dentist to notice the first time I visited him. I didn't notice any other major side effects. Overall it really isn't worth the time.

Allergic Reaction to Minocycline.
Reviewed on April 11, 2016

I'm 16 and have grade one cystic acne on my face and back. I was just starting to see my acne clear up until 3 weeks into treatment when I had my allergic reaction. I have full body hives. I've had these hives for 2 weeks now, But they have shown a lot of improvement after taking Allegra Gel Caps for the 2 weeks and put on a 5-day 20mg prednisone pill. The hives were my only side effect, and they are virtually gone now, only some redness and heat remaining. I myself have questions on when it will resolve completely, but it can take time to get out of your system. I have also noticed my acne returning. This reaction only happens to one in one hundred people. I hope this is helpful to anyone having an allergic reaction to it or just looking for awnsers.

No more breakouts, but I got sick ):
Reviewed on April 11, 2016

I started taking minocycline on February 13th of this year. 200mg a day. At first it didn't seem to do anything at all- I didn't even have any side effects from it at the time. It took a few weeks to see any progress but I noticed my cystic breakouts were shrinking and I wasn't getting any new ones. I'd still feel pain under my skin but nothing major. It was working but it wasn't as magical as some people's experiences.

Unfortunately, I've been very sick for a while now. I got diagnosed with migraines with aura and on top of that I've been put on another antibiotic for an ear infection. It's hard to tell which of these three things is making me feel worse, but before I got put on the second antibiotic I noticed my tummy started getting upset so it can't entirely be the new antibiotic to blame, but I think it's certainly contributing to me feeling so sick. I take probiotics and eat ginger and nothing is helping the nausea and lack of appetite. I had zofran but even that didn't work so great. I feel awful and I don't know what to do but hey my skin is really smooth but just really red so now all I really need to do is heal. Hopefully I start feeling better once my skin is completely clear and I'm taken off of mino.

Excellent Antibiotic with Amazing Results
Reviewed on April 2, 2016

Minocycline is one of the most commonly prescribed antibiotics, and for good reason. I've improved tremendously while on this treatment, alongside topical therapy. I have not noticed any gastrointestinal issues or other major side effects. However, this drug may cause undesirable effects in some, such as blue or grey skin and tooth hyperpigmentation. These undesirable effects are more likely to occur when the drug is taken for extended periods of time. Despite being a very effective treatment, other options are available with longer lasting results and less (potential) severe side effects. Doxycycline is closely related to minocycline and has been shown to have similar effectiveness with less of the severe side effects (of minocycline) and is now the antibiotic of choice for most cases of acne.

Will clear your cystic bumps
Reviewed on April 2, 2016

This cleared my acne cystic the moment I began taking it. However after about four weeks I started experiencing side effects- throbbing in my brain, when I yawned. I din't like that. My upper lip started twitching off and on. My right shoulder started experiencing some joint pain. Also, I felt that something was also happening with my gums. I went back to Doxycycline after this. The side affects weren't worth it to me. Since I've been back, I got a new cystic bump, but hope that's it.

Slow to Kick In
Reviewed on March 14, 2016

I'd say that trying minocyline is worth it because, well, why not. I've been on it for about 5 weeks though, and it's done pretty much nothing for me. I realize that this could be a delayed reaction but I don't think it's the most reliable medicine. But if your dermatologist wants you to try it, I think it's worth a try. The only side effect I've experienced is occasional fatigue and sensitivity to some food.