Minocycline Oral Antibiotic reviews

3.2/5 - 1126 reviews

Brand: Minocycline

Minocycline Product Pictured:
50 mg, 75 mg, or 100 mg of Minocycline.

Magnesium stearate and starch (corn), D&C Red No. 28, D&C Yellow No. 10, gelatin, silicon dioxide, sodium lauryl sulfate and titanium dioxide.

The 100 mg capsule shell also contains black iron oxide.

WORKED THEN STOPPED WORKING
Reviewed on March 22, 2017

IT WORKED GREAT when I first started taking it a year ago 100mg, I then was told by my Doc to take 50mg every other day to eventually get off of it because my skin was finally clear then it came back again milk nothing crazy so I went back to 100mg everyday and now my skin is the worse ever, zits on cheeks, and jawline this started in Feb this year, im on 200mg MONDAY-WED-FRI AND 100 MG ON TUES-THURS-SAT and so far Nothing my face is horrendous, im 32 years old and can't take Accutane so Im going to see a dermatologist in Toronto I heard shes one of the best so I hope whatever gets done WORKS and I stay clear!=(

by shebby003 on 04/05/2017 08:43
Please let us know what she says!
by stressed123 on 04/12/2017 18:01
i saw the dermatologist today, she told me to stop taking minocycline my family dr should have not told me to keep taking it after 3 months, and I should have gone to see a dermatologist when I first started experiencing acne in my last 20's, anyways, she told me I have a severe case of acne, hard to treat which made me really disappointed to hear, I definitely was not expecting that =( she suggested I use her skin care line which I read is great expensive but great, I will stick to that but she also said I should do PHOTODYNAMIC THERAPY FOR ACNE, I read oneline, the super red face, discomfort, pain, swollen, peeling has worried me and pushed me away from even doing this sadly, I work in an office dealing with clients on a daily basis I cant look like I was burned alive it's horrible to even think of that, if there was no downtime I wouldn't be so worried, anyways, I called back and receptionist is going to have Dr (dermatologist) call me back tomorrow for an alternative treatment effective but no downtime if have to do a few more treatmetns than the photodynamic and it will help me I rather do that but I can't bare with pain and the suffering of this treatment, I know everyone is different but from what I have seen everyone turns beat red, sunborn gone bad and pain I just can't im very sad and stressed, I stopped taking minocycline I have since oct and feb was my worst month so I hope it stays the way it is until I find a treatment that wont make me suffer wish me luck=(
Short time fix
Reviewed on March 21, 2017

When my skin go bad for the first time in my life so I went to a local dermatologist. When she first saw me she prescribed this antibiotic along with Epiduo. It took 3 months for me to see results. And the results were great I had and clear skin and skin looked glowing for the first time! I was so happy and pleased the only thing is that my dermatologist gave me such a high dose 200mg a day and had me on for 6 months which was long for any antibiotic! It killed all my bacteria in my intestine.. so I recommend taking some probiotics with this medication. Fast forward a year my skin got terrible because I was put on birth control to help my hormonal acne. At the time it wasn't so bad and I so wish I never won't on birth control because my acne blew up worse then it did the first time! I had painful cysts all over my forehead and acne all over my face and I was so depressed. I quit the Birth control and went back on Minocycline but I was put on 100mg a day and was only on for 3 months and I took a probiotic with it.

I've been off Minocycline for 6 months now and my current state of my skin is ok.. it's still healing and I still have acne but no were bad as it was. I have a lot of hyperpigmentation and redness from the terrible break out of the birth control. This antibiotic is only a short time fix. It won't solve your problem. I used it twice to clear a bad moderate break out but other wise I'm not going back on it. For me I needed just a clear slate and this antibiotic did help with that. Now I'm more focused on how to properly take care of your skin with a good diet skincare, and drink nothing but water! Of course it's hard to have a healthy diet and I do tend to break because of my bad sweet tooth. If you are dealing with a bad break out and don't want to go on Accutane, this is the second best thing without being as harsh.

by stressed123 on 04/12/2017 20:26
hiii! I just got off minocycline now too been on for a year worked great the first 6 months then I got it back again even on 200mg and 100 mg still breaking out, I hope it doesn't get worse than what is now until I figure a solution for this, I went to a dermatologist today she suggest I do photodynamic therapy its scary I don't want to so I am waiting for her to call me tomorrow with a second plan because I cant even think of the pain, burning, red skin and peeling I just cant praying thinsg gets better and for you too!!
PLEASE READ: Dangers of Overusing Antibiotics
Reviewed on February 13, 2017

I was perscribed tetracycline, doxycycline, etc. for 3-6 months each course. While I was on these antibiotics my skin was perfectly smooth. Naturally, I wanted to upkeep this level of improvement so I continued to use these antibiotics. Because of the overuse of antibiotics I have developed a skin condition called "pityrosporum folliculitis."

There's is a delicate balance of bacteria and fungi/yeast on our skin. Which, for the most part, is there to benefit the human body. By overusing or inappropriately using antibiotics, this balance can become disrupted and cause an overgrowth of the fungi/yeast. This imbalance resulted in "acne-like" bumps all over my neck, chest, and back. I was genuinely devastated and spent an entire summer seeing a psychologist because I felt so depressed over it. This condition is not curable, it is ONLY treatable.

There's not a day that goes by that I wish I had explored other alternative to heal my acne. I have been able to keep it under control for the most part but like bacteria, yeast can become resistant to anti-fungal medications. So please do not try to "fix" your acne with a temporary solution that can lead to long-term consequences.

*For the record I am not against taking antibiotics when necessary but doctors should not be allowed to prescribe them for acne.

by Jenbra on 03/21/2017 04:05
I strongly agree with you in that doctors can over prescribed antibiotics. When my skin was bad my dermatologist had me on 200mg daily for 6 months...Crazy. Killed all my good bacteria. I'm sorry about the skin condition you developed.
by stressed123 on 04/12/2017 20:30
I couldn't agree wit you more, my doctor didn't want to send me to a dermatologist he kept saying they will tell u what I am saying to you, but that wasn't the case, the dermotlogist I went to today told me they don't keep ppl on minocycline for longer than 3 months my doctor is wonderfull but when it comes to skin when I firest went to go see him he should have sent me to a dermatologist
No big improvement
Reviewed on January 2, 2017

I've seen small improvement only when taking 100mg daily, it kept my skin more or less under control. Taking 50mg daily was literally pointless.

Hope someone can relate to my story
Reviewed on January 2, 2017

Okay so here is my story I hope someone can relate:

(Also real quick a little background of my acne):

I have pretty sensitive skin, can't use any face washes or it breaks me out. My skin is usually a combination of oily and dry, but right now I have 2 topical gels that make me super peely and dry. I use apple cider vinegar twice a day, along with my PONDS moisturizer that works pretty well I think. I also use Garnier SkinActive Micellar Cleansing water to take off my makeup.

My story:

I am a 16 year old junior in high school and am probably the most acne prone girl on campus. I have dealt with acne since 7th grade and it got worse and worse as time went by. And as freshman year came about, I had every type of acne out there- cystic, papules, pustules, scars, EVERYTHING.. So I went to a dermatologist and they he prescribed me doxycycline. Used that for a year and holy sh*t did that clear up my acne. I didn't have to wear make up I could put my hair in a pony tail without feeling self conscious I MEAN YOU GUYS THIS WAS A BEAUTIFUL TIME IN MY LIFE. So I was allowed to stop taking doxy and guess what happened, junior year I broke out like a mother f**ker and I am currently dealing with the same ugly horrific painful embarrassing acne and I am back to square one. Went to a dermatologist again and he told me to take Minocycline twice a day. He told me that 30-40% of my acne would clear up in 3 weeks. It's been two and I've seen some improvements, but I just started my period where oh my god you guys I break out so bad on my period. I get smaller cystic acne pimples that hurt like a mother and it sucks but I don't want to go on birth control cuz I really don't want to gain weight, I know way too many people who did. Anyways I am going back to the dermatologist for a follow up in one more week, and if it isn't better, he's guna want to put me on accutane which I am not happy about. I'm so tired of this f**king acne I have dealt with it for too long, I know I need to be patient but I am probably the most impatient person I know, and I hate not wanting to even be around my own family because of my insecurity. I kid you not if my acne was gone and I had nice skin, I would be really happy with myself. But it makes me feel like the ugliest girl on the planet. It's hard to look past and can I just say that if anyone i suffering from acne, which is probably the person reading this right now because lol this is a website for acne prone people, I feel for you. and I'm not just saying that, like I really f**kin feel for you IT IS THE WORST CURSE EVER. I'm going to do another update on how my acne looks in about a week because apparently my acne is supposed to clear up 30-40% in 3 weeks says my dermatologist. Much love to all you acne sufferers, & like my user name says, acne is a bitch.

TC
Reviewed on December 12, 2016

I am on my fourth day of minocycline, and the nauseousness is at an all time high! I have also had migraine headaches for the few days that I've been taking it; accompanied with canker-like sores in my mouth (all new since starting this medicine). I will say that i have already noticed a small change for the better in the redness on my face, and things seem to be drying up and flaking right off. Now, if only i can deal with these horrible side effects I'm having.

by Msrind on 04/24/2017 08:14
Take Vitamin C to avoid side effects, Cecon would be good to take twice a day.
Disappointed
Reviewed on December 11, 2016

Was on Minocycline for 1.5+ years, this did not fix my acne but it helped reduce it from severe acne to moderate while on the drug. When coming off the drug, my acne would get worse within a week and remain that way.

Did not work for me.
Reviewed on November 17, 2016

Did not work for me and messed up my body and digestive system.

Eh it's ok
Reviewed on October 27, 2016

Took this when I had moderate acne and it helped just a little bit not much noticeable though.

by Erica nicole on 11/11/2016 21:30
You have to take it on an empty stomach with a full glass of water or it won't work to its fullest potential
Works… then stops
Reviewed on September 27, 2016

I have to give this 2 stars because in all honesty, when I started taking it, I thought I had found a miracle drug. I was extremely hesitant to take prescription medication for my acne because we have all heard the horror stories. But after doing some research, I thought that this wouldn’t be nearly as bad as, let’s say, accutane. And I was pretty desperate because nothing else had been working. I obviously went through all the drug store brands, then moved onto some of the fancier stuff you find at Macy’s - Jan Marini (WHOA expensive), MD complete and then moved onto other stuff like Proactive (I had to at least say I had tried it!!) and Exposed. At the end of the day, nothing worked for me. Not even a little. I would say if anything, most of the products caused my breakouts to get worse. Worse cysts that lasted longer, were bigger. It was pretty depressing. When those didn’t work, t modified my diet which was extremely difficult for me to do. Getting rid of dairy and wheat was like total hell for me and at the end of the day, I didn’t feel any better physically and my acne didn’t improve. I felt like my moods were worse just from being bitter, and it ended up affecting my home life as well. My husband told me it was like walking on eggshells around me, which is tough to hear.

I finally went to a dermatologist at the urging of my daughter who could see how much my skin was affecting me. They prescribed me minocycline and literally, after having tried so many other things, I finally felt relief. I immediately noticed a clearing for the first time in…10 years. I told everyone I could about how great it was. I was like pimping it!! Then within about a month, I started seeing the side effects. Like everyone else has said here, the headaches were unbearable and I am no stranger to headaches. No type of amount of medicine brought relief. My headaches would go in spurts so I did continue to use the minocycline for a while until I realized that it had actually stopped working as well. So now I was left with headaches and acne. So I stopped and the side effects ended almost immediately.

I have come to find out that the problem with oral antibiotics is that they do in fact work - the bacteria they kill off are a part of what causes acne but not the entire cause. Once your body becomes used to the antibiotics, they cease to work because your bacteria is immune. Great! And your acne comes back with a vengeance as it did with me.

Lucky for me, I got off of them - and I will never go back. And I have found a product that works for my skin better than anything else I have tried. Topical is the way to go!! Someone here mentioned a company called Ninja Skincare, I called and they put me on a treatment which has been my new miracle but with no side effects! and not a million bucks either. And it has been like 6 months of clear skin. And did I mention no more headaches?!

So I am the happy ending to these stories. I hope everyone has a happy ending like mine. But I would never recommend this product. Or really any prescribed medication from everything I have read. There is no good that can come out of it and your acne never truly goes away. Stay topical my friends!