Minocycline Oral Antibiotic reviews

3.2/5 - 1105 reviews

Brand: Minocycline

Minocycline Product Pictured:
50 mg, 75 mg, or 100 mg of Minocycline.

Magnesium stearate and starch (corn), D&C Red No. 28, D&C Yellow No. 10, gelatin, silicon dioxide, sodium lauryl sulfate and titanium dioxide.

The 100 mg capsule shell also contains black iron oxide.

Caused Pseudo Tumor Cerebri
Reviewed on August 31, 2015

I took this when I was 17 for my acne. After being on it for only two weeks I started to notice neck pain, headaches, and nausea. After awhile moving and eating just made me vomit. My mom had taken me to the family doctor and the emergency room two times because I could not keep anything down and my head hurt so bad. One of my eyes actually stopped tracking. We finally went to another hospital where I had a spinal tap and a neurologist diagnosed me with Pseudo Tumor Cerebri which was determined to be caused by the Minocycline. I then had to take medicine for several months to reduce the pressure of spinal fluid in my brain and spinal column. Scary stuff!!

Temporary Solution
Reviewed on August 21, 2015

I've been struggling with acne since i was 14, I am now 19 years old. I was given oral antibiotics (Minocyline) just last year after being given so many prescription topical treatments (that did nothing but dry out my skin). I took the pills for one month and my skin cleared out instantly, all of my cystic acne went away. I got the occasional bump every month during menstruation but that was it. HOWEVER, recently I've started breaking out again, it's not as bad but it's getting progressively worse. My doctor has prescribed me the same medication for 2 months again, it's not clearing out as fast as it did the first time I took it. I'm not sure if it's clearing out at all. I'm not sure if I would recommend the medication, it works but just temporarily.

It's Been a Month..
Reviewed on July 27, 2015

Yes, I know for some medications it takes 6-8 weeks but hear me out! I have moderate acne all over my body. I have it all down my arms, shoulders, chest, face, and now I've noticed some random red bumps on my back and butt.

Emotionally, it feels like severe acne and I constantly wear long sleeve shorts and jeans to cover it up. Okay, enough ranting.

I was perscribed this medication with epiduo (which I only use on my chest and face). My chest and face seem to be clearing up just the SLIGHTEST bit. My arms, however have shown ZERO improvement. Let me remind you that I am not using the epiduo on my arms.

I just feel as if there should be at least some progress by now. It feels as if I'm wasting my time with this medication. If it does start to get better, I will update this review but it doesn't seem like that will be happening.

UPDATE: Another week in and I'm breaking out like crazy on my arms and face with blackheads and whiteheads. I have also been getting major headaches and sometimes nausea.

Works Temporarily
Reviewed on August 5, 2015

Minocyline was great for my cystic acne for the three months I was on it, and then three months afterwards. But, my acne did suddenly and aggressively return after both rounds. This would be a good short-term fix for an event or vacation.

Really works but not long-term solution
Reviewed on August 4, 2015

Took this for around 8 months and completely cleared my skin, but like most things, it doesn't last forever. I didn't want to be on antibiotics any longer than this so came off them and the acne eventually returned. Once the acne got bad again I went back on these for another 6 months, and acne once again cleared but came back when I stopped taking them. These will not cure your acne but will help to treat it.

Quick Fix
Reviewed on July 26, 2015

Minocycline worked well for my cystic acne, but it's not a good long term solution. I DO recommend it because it does help you get your acne under control while you're waiting on your topicals to start doing their job- but don't expect to take this for more than a 3-6 month cycle. I can't imagine it's very healthy to take longer than a short time period plus eventually it will lose its ability to work as well once your body adapts.

Long term effects not worth it
Reviewed on July 17, 2015

This was the first Rx my derm started me on. It worked for the first couple years I was taking it, but after about about year 3 it was no longer effective for me. The previous reviews are right. Although you can get good results with this Rx, it comes at a cost. Taking antibiotics over a long period of time can wreak havoc on your body all the way from your immune system to your respiratory system. This webMD article does a nice job of summarizing.

[link removed]

Hope this helps!

DO YOURSELF A FAVOR
Reviewed on July 14, 2015

I am 20 years old and started experiencing mild to severe cystic acne about a year ago. I've had cases where my blemishes have been the size of a nickel. My acne irritated my skin so much and I am now left with a lot of scarring. I have used many over the counter products, including Murad. I have spent hours researching the internet for remedies hoping for a solution. I finally decided to go to the dermatologist. Best choice I have made towards improving my skin. My doctor prescribed me with 100 mg two times a day with two other prescribed applicants. I truly believe acne needs to be cured from the inside out, along with a healthy diet and good exercise. I've only been on this medication for 2 weeks and I have seen such a dramatic difference. I am finally starting to gain my confidence, I am so excited to see what my complete outcome will be.

Nauseous and acid reflux
Reviewed on July 12, 2015

This medicine works to a certain extent however, throughout the day I would be extremely nauseous and suffered intolerable acid reflux and had to use the toilet to gag on numerous occasions.

by mac87 on 07/14/2015 22:53
that happened to me. its because the antibiotics kills the good bacteria needed in your gut. I got a lot of acne relief from the use of probitics. i used one called clear biotic. seems to be really help me and my daughter.
Don't use antibiotics!
Reviewed on July 11, 2015

Okay I am a 16 year old boy male who suffers from mild to severe hormonal acne. My face is horrible I have a lot of discoloration on my skin and i have acne scars as well. I have tried many products and I have spent thousands of dollars on my face. Nothing had worked. My face is immune to all the products I have tried so far. So one day i decided to go see a dermatologist. I have never been on an oral antibiotic before. So my dermatologist prescribed me an oral antibiotic since I have hormonal acne and topical medication weren't working at all. They were just making my face worst. I was prescribed minocycline. I took two pills a day and they were 100mg each. I took this pill for four months along with a topical cream witch was Tretinoin cream. Minocyclin did help my acne but it didn't cure it. My acne became much more smaller and I didn't get as many break outs. After I finished my last batch of minocycline all my acne came back and I started breaking out a lot. What you have to understand is antibiotics aren't going to cure your acne. Antibiotics are just a "temporary fix" for your acne its not going to permanently get rid of your acne. Plus they come with side effects. I experienced tiredness and i was fatigue as well. I would recommenced avoiding antibiotics.