Minocycline Oral Antibiotic reviews

3.2/5 - 1093 reviews

Brand: Minocycline

Minocycline Oral Antibiotic

50 mg, 75 mg, or 100 mg of Minocycline.

Magnesium stearate and starch (corn), D&C Red No. 28, D&C Yellow No. 10, gelatin, silicon dioxide, sodium lauryl sulfate and titanium dioxide.

The 100 mg capsule shell also contains black iron oxide.

Minocycline Oral Antibiotic

It sorta works... For a while
Reviewed on May 20, 2015

I am a teen and one of the things I have been struggling with for many years is acne. I tried Proactiv, which helped for a few months and then it seemed had no affect at all, so I went to my doctor. She presricbed me Minocycline 100mg/ once a day and Retin-A. I have, and I know this is bad, been using Mino for almost two years now (I stopped once and in a few weeks my acne came right back, worse than before and showed no sign of leaving, so my doctor represcribed Mino 100mg/once per day and a stronger Retin-A solution). I have found that the Mino helped slightly with the few spots of acne I had on my back and chest, but has not done anything significant of noting on my face... Which is where most of my acne resides, so I'm planning on stopping my taking of Mino. I also found that taking Mino in the morning gave me an upset stomach, so I take it at night now. I have found also that the Retin-A was only drying my skin out, so I switched back to Proactiv and that is what is keeping my skin under control right now. I think for certain people this antibiotic can work, but for me it barely had an affect.

Quite good, Little to no side effects
Reviewed on April 29, 2015

I used this consistently for about 3-4 months, but my doctor took me off of it because you're not supposed to be on an antibiotic for all that long. I had severe breakouts around my jaw and chin and they were cleared up within a month or two. My Hyperpigmentation then took about 2 months to go away and I still have reddish tint/patch coloration which I know will also go away. Just remember to take it regularly and not to skip dosages. AND PLEASE get it from a real doctor and don't just order it off the internet.

Works well
Reviewed on March 1, 2015

I've been on minocycline (50mg - twice a day) for about 5 weeks now, and it has worked wonders on my acne. During the first 2 weeks I began it I saw my skin break out more than it has before, but as time progressed they quickly healed up. I haven't reached the second month period yet but my skin has been smooth and acne-free for at least a week and a half. All that is left to deal with now is the scarring from previous bouts of acne.

Overall, this treatment has been the most successful for me. I've tried so many other topical, prescription, and natural routes to clear up my acne but no other has had the same results as this has had. I've never had one of the side effects they list for the product, but it can definitely be a hassle to take daily. I know a few people are wary about taking the antibiotics route for their acne, but if you balance out the antibiotics with probiotics and can wait the 2 to 3 weeks for it to start kicking in then minocycline is definitely a treatment to consider.

Update April 19, 2015: After completing the 2 months of minocycline, I went off of it. It had majorly cleared up my skin and there was no purpose remaining to continue taking it. I've now been off of it for a month and my acne has not come back at all. While my skin does still have some scarring and hyperpigmentation, it is now beyond smooth. If I do get a breakout, it is extremely small and is gone within days. I am so thrilled and relieved with the results as many people say they have their acne come back after going off of it. I still strongly recommend using this product to help with your acne, and I really urge you don't overuse it. Once you see your skin clearing up, it's best to go off and see how your skin reacts. Staying on it for years in hopes it will keep your acne at bay forever will only minimize its effects and would not be very healthy for your body. I hope everyone else who decides to use this antibiotic have the same great results as I did when I went on it.

It's not without side effects, but does the job.
Reviewed on April 23, 2014

About me: I'm 42 years old with pale, highly oily skin, and have struggled with acne off and on since I was 12 years old. Since February, my skin became horrifically worse. I developed large cystic acne that would not pop or go away no matter what I tried. I would get three to four new zits every few days that would be on my face for a solid month before they began receding. It got to the point that I had large cysts so close together they appeared to be on top of each other. I never had it this bad before. Eventually, I didn't want to leave the house anymore. I stopped going to hot yoga, an activity I enjoy most. Anyone whose dealt with this, knows how debilitating acne can be to one's self image. I finally went back to the doctor. I had been using topical Retin-A .05% once or twice a week for the past 15 months. It didn't help at all. The dermatologist prescribed Minocycline 100mg twice a day. She also recommended I increase the topical Retin-A I have been using from once a week to every day to promote skin cell turnover. I increased the Retin-A to six times a week the same day I started Minocycline. She told me it could take as long as 3 months to see results. I have been using the medication for six weeks now. In this time, I missed one evening dose, and skipped a morning dose due to stomach upset. Other than that, I have taken it religiously. I saw a marked improvement in my skin about 10 days into the drug therapy. After four weeks, all my cystic acne is gone. After six weeks, the red marks left from the cystic acne are fading away. This is the absolute most effective treatment I have used to get rid of acne. The price I pay for clear skin is moderate, sometimes harsh side effects. The medication is best taken on an empty stomach, but induces intense nausea when doing so. I've also experienced dizziness, lethargy, joint pain, difficulty with balance and sensitivity to sunlight (even with 30SPF sunscreen). These symptoms were worst for the first few weeks, then gradually decreased in severity. Nausea is still strong, especially in the morning. That said, it is much preferable to feel pretty again, and back to doing social stuff. My husband and I even took up dancing. For me, the side effects are a small inconvenience.

Update 3/27/2015: Unfortunately, the medication is only effective for as long as you take it. I tapered from 100mg twice a day to 100 mg in the evening about five months into the treatment. The medication became increasingly harsh on my stomach. Bloating, extreme intestinal pain, joint pain, and weight loss. I am normally 105 to 110lbs. My weight dropped to 83lbs when I quit taking the medicine altogether. To be fair, I had other things going on. Strict vegan diet, and being prescribed Ritalin were likely mitigating factors. I ran out of Retin A .05% topical cream roughly the same time and was too broke to see the dermatologist for a new script, so I stopped using that too. On the advice of a doctor, I stopped taking minocycline and also started eating dairy and seafood rich in probiotics and B12. I started feeling better within the week. About a month after I quit minocycline, my cystic hormonal acne came back ten fold. I am on new scripts which I will review soon, but I just wanted to add this update. I still recommend it for a temporary fix, but know it is temporary. As soon as you stop taking it, the acne comes back :(

Worked well so far 50mg Once a day
Reviewed on March 16, 2015

I'm 25 and female, for the past three years my acne had been getting worse and worse. started off as once a month untill my whole jawline, chin and nose bridge was constantly covered in painfull acne. Both deep cystic and surface acne. I accidentally used the wrong steroid cream for a rash around my mouth and everything nose-down became covered in millions of tiny pimple like things - Perennial Dermatitis. Took 50mg Minocycline once a day at night for the rash and the acne. 3 months later and my skin has been the best it has in over 5 years. I still get a couple of surface pimples and one or two deep ones during ovulation but much better and smooth.

works wonders.... until you get off of it
Reviewed on February 5, 2015

title of the post says it all. it didn't clear ALL my acne, but it sure as hell helped it. i've been taking this pill for about 2 years (yes, that's bad, i know) and gone off of it a total of two times.... and those two times i've never broken out worse in my entire life. very risky drug... & like all antibiotic's it's not a perminent solution.

My skin improves, but i feel giddy
Reviewed on February 4, 2015

Hi everybody,

One week has passed since I'm taking the pills (1 per day, 100mg) at the same time that I'm pouring Benzoyl Peroxide at nights in the skin. I have to say that my skin has improved and the spots are not like before, but I feel giddy, especially in the afternoons, and this feelings starts when I started this antibiotic. Has someone had this kind of effect with the minocycline?

It's a treatment alright.
Reviewed on January 9, 2015

I've tried Doxy and Mino, and out of the two I saw Mino worked stronger for me.

My acne originally was just a bunch of pimples and some cysts. I took some pills and now the cycts are more common.

For over a year this was MY pill. This stuff worked like a charm. As long as you take it every day, twice a day, 100mg.

If you missed a dose, A SINGLE DOSE, you could break out again. I got injections for that though, so it wasn't too big of a deal. My stomach hurts from time to time, and I dealt with it, but this pill did wonders, as gross as it tasted after swallowing...

I loved being on it, but I got tired of taking two pills every day for the rest of my life(it seemed) so I wanted to take accutane, I even got the pills at home but I've chickened out for the second time now... I just heard too much about the risks and I'm not willing to risk my sex life and the future of my health and my sight and my mental health. (seriously have you read the side effects and reviews, they're scary af)

There was a review that I read on here, about Bactrim, that I sort of agree with. This is all just a treatment game. Our dermatologists all tell us to take this and take that and it's all terrible for our bodies and it's all just a treatment. It's never a cure.(except accutane, but at what cost really?) Cause why would the doctors want to cure you? You'll never come back, and they won't make another penny off of you!

I'm experimenting with a new route. The all natural route. No pills at all.. I'm gonna see how I feel after a month of not taking anything. I just might come crawling back to Mino and suck it up and take it twice a day like a good boy and try not to miss a dose and be happy that my skin doesn't have as many cysts and pimples as it does without the pills. We'll see...

But bottom line is, I recommend this pill, it works wonders, it is exactly what it's meant to be, a treatment. It's not gonna do anything else for you.

Thrilled
Reviewed on January 8, 2015

I had no results until about week 4 and I noticed I didn't have any new acne. Now at 6 weeks I am clear with only an occasional tiny pimple. This has been great for me.

Awesome results
Reviewed on January 7, 2015

Been on this for 5 weeks now and between week 4- now I started noticing the results. After week 2 I could tell I wasn't getting new acne but I still had the old acne present. Today I don't have 1 single spot on my face. I have 1 week of pills left and I'm going to see my dr to see if I need any more. So happy with the results . Just need to get rid of the pigmentation that the acne has left behind. I take 50 mg twice a day.