I think that a practinioner's skill certainly plays a role in one's improvement.
I took sort of a holistic approach and became my own best advocate:
1) I did a lot of online research about acne scarring
2) I found this website and learned from others
3) I changed my diet - today, I consume very little junk food. Some of the foods that I had been eating (i.e. junk foods/soft drinks) promote inflamation, glycation, etc.) and damage the skin
4) I take supplements that promote collagen development
5) I didn't rely one single modality for improvement (i.e lasers only). I had subcision, laser, chemical peels, dermarolling, topicals, etc. all in an effort to improvement my skin.
6) I have an excellent dermatologist who is highly skilled, honest, and cares about his patients.
7) I had realistic expectations and didn't expect to have perfect skin after all of these treatments
8) My friends and family know that I am very persistent - I don't give up easily. I fought the good fight and have enjoyed some success. If I had given up after my three Laser Genesis treatments, I would not have seen any improvement.
Hope this helps.