I am a 25-year-old Asian male who has dealt with acne for a better part of the last 10 years. There have been good times, there have been bad. And I've tried pretty much everything — including countless hours reading this message board and trying to figure out "cures."
I did accutane when I was younger which helped but I don't want to go back on it. I did erythromycin, which didn't help, and I did tetracycline, which helped for three months this past summer, but then didn't really work afterwards. I stopped and then in a panic went back on it for a week only to suffer terrible breakouts. I'm off it now. I've also been on chinese medication, from herbs to Margarite Acne Pills (which wasn't fully effective but did make pimples smaller). I did vitamins, etc. etc.
Topical-wise, I don't even have time to list.
It sucks. And I know it's not a surface problem but something internal. That's why earlier this week I went to see a naturopathic doctor and she told me about "leaky gut" and also food allergies. I've been told by so many people that this was just a hormone thing and it'll eventually go away but I didn't feel that was it. Nor was I willing to resort to just "waiting it out."
Anyways, after being able to talk to a doctor that listened and has dealt with this in the past, I feel this could be the answer. And having read so many posts/topics/comments on this website and never actually signing up to write, I thought I can finally use it as a platform to confide in others going through the same thing.
That said, here's what I've been told to do to hopefully find a solution:
1) Elimination diet: No eggs (which I ate every day), no dairy (I didn't drink milk or cheese before already but now cutting out my whey protein for after workouts and replacing it with a pea and rice protein), and also no gluten (I had oatmeal but typically avoided a lot of gluten/high carb products already).
2) Probiotics - UltraFlora IB once a day. This is to help repair the "leaky gut."
3) Omega D3 - One teaspoon per day. This is also to repair, I believe.
4) L-glutamine - 5 grams twice per day.
5) I am also taking a food sensitivity blood test next week just to see what I'm actually allergic to. It will be to test my IgG/IgE allergy panel with 190 foods. I will let you guys know how that turns out. Also, I'm doing a hormone test just in case.
I really hope this is it. I'm so sick of going through this.
1) For those who have done elimination diet, how soon before you saw results? I've been off the foods for three days but still had new breakouts. I know sometimes the reactions come later, but did anyone just stop having breakouts/new acne right after they stop eating certain foods?
2) Thinking of drinking bone broth as well. Anyone have experience with this and if it works?