hope2013Member Since 20 Jun 2013
Offline Last Active Apr 17 2015 09:15 PM
I'm 23 years old and still struggling with acne.
Here's some background:
- For the past 8+ years, I tried everything--all different types of face washes/ scrubs/ masks/etc. Nothing ever really seemed to work.
My Accutane Experience
- Finally, last year, I decided to start Accutane. I was on Accutane for 3 months, but stopped because of the side effects. I waited a few months and restarted Accutane and was on it for about 6 months (40 -60 mg per day).
- I had a REALLY rough Initial Breakout (IB) with Accutane within the first couple of months & some rough side effects (intense peeling, achy joints, fatigue, very dry & cracked lips, etc). Once my skin got used to the Accutane, i was on 40 mg/day while backpacking in Europe to maintain clear skin.
What Accutane Did Not Solve:
- Hormones. Each month before my cycle I would break out like CRAZY. When on Accutane, it was usually a couple problematic zits, that would usually go away within a few days or a week. However, the healing from those zits would take 1-2 weeks.
- My current dermatologist explained to me that Accutane can purge the built-up dirt/oil within your skin to get it a lot more clear. It also lowers the amount of excess oil your skin produces to minimize future clogging. However, it does not work on your hormones.
My Current Regimen:
- Morning: Spironolactone (3 pills each day, or 75 mg total); CeraVe moisturizing face wash & CeraVe moisturizer.
- Night: CeraVe moisturizing face wash to wash off makeup. Then Panoxyl face wash (4%). Apply a bit of CeraVe moisturizer to entire face. Wait 30+ mins to apply Atralin gel (1 pea size amount to entire face).
Please see my blog posts for the reasoning behind my current regimen & how it works!
- Group Members
- Active Posts 3
- Profile Views 2,281
- Member Title New Member
- Age Age Unknown
- Birthday Birthday Unknown