Photo

asian skin and FRAXEL

icepick fraxel steroid makeup

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
95 replies to this topic

#21 chi-gurl

chi-gurl

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 June 2006 - 11:45 PM

it has been about 25 days since my 4th fraxel and my skin looks pretty good. its still a little red but overall, the texture is smoother and my scars are barely noticeable when i wear makeup. i would say that i have a 40 to 50 percent improvement. my skin HAS lost some pigmentation but who cares!

i actually have people telling me that my face looks like its glowing. i can finally enjoy life and be a part of society without being all self conscious. Man, it is a great feeling

i am glad i did fraxel. eusa_dance.gif

#22 fireball

fireball

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 June 2006 - 02:20 AM

Hi guys. Wow I'm so glad you started this thread.That's awesome that you got such great results. I had a consultation with Dr. Rohksar in NYC because I have some family over there but I also had a consultation with Dr. Parker in Colorado which is where I live. She does not have much experience with Asian patients at all since there are not many of us here. In fact when I asked her, she was pretty honest and said that she's only treated 2 Asian patients with Fraxel and both had pigmentation problems so she wanted to stop doing it until she learns more about it. I was going to get it done with Dr. Rohksar because he seemed more experience...but he is SO expensive. It's like half the price to get it done here. And it seems like everyone here has had some pigmentation problem anyway, right? So should I just suck it up and get it done here? And just ask her to start at like level 12?
Questions:
1) What levels have you all been on?
2) What aftercare are you guys using?
3) How many days are you red, bronze, peeling for?
4) What kind of scars do you have?
5) If you have pigmentation problems are they permenant or are they treatable with creams over time? How much time? Is hypopigmentation easier to treat that hyper?
6) If you do end up having pigmentation problems, can you cover it up with makeup?
7) How many months between treatments?
8) Any breakouts between treatments?
I appreciate it guys.

#23 Simply_Me

Simply_Me

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 June 2006 - 04:18 AM

hows fraxel for post accutane patients???

#24 chi-gurl

chi-gurl

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 June 2006 - 11:32 PM

QUOTE(fireball @ Jun 25 2006, 03:20 AM) View Post

Hi guys. Wow I'm so glad you started this thread.That's awesome that you got such great results. I had a consultation with Dr. Rohksar in NYC because I have some family over there but I also had a consultation with Dr. Parker in Colorado which is where I live. She does not have much experience with Asian patients at all since there are not many of us here. In fact when I asked her, she was pretty honest and said that she's only treated 2 Asian patients with Fraxel and both had pigmentation problems so she wanted to stop doing it until she learns more about it. I was going to get it done with Dr. Rohksar because he seemed more experience...but he is SO expensive. It's like half the price to get it done here. And it seems like everyone here has had some pigmentation problem anyway, right? So should I just suck it up and get it done here? And just ask her to start at like level 12?
Questions:
1) What levels have you all been on?
2) What aftercare are you guys using?
3) How many days are you red, bronze, peeling for?
4) What kind of scars do you have?
5) If you have pigmentation problems are they permenant or are they treatable with creams over time? How much time? Is hypopigmentation easier to treat that hyper?
6) If you do end up having pigmentation problems, can you cover it up with makeup?
7) How many months between treatments?
8) Any breakouts between treatments?
I appreciate it guys.

1. i was started on 8 for my first fraxel then 22, 16,and 18.
2. i used H.Quinone 6% the first time but stopped when my skin lost pigmentation. i drank a lot of orange juice and water. now that i am thinking about it, i probably should have taken multivitamins.
3. i was swollen and peeling for about a week and i was red for a month.
4. i had a few rolling scars, a lot of ice pick scar, and one chicken pock scar. most of my ice pick scars have softened greatly and my rolling scars have filled in most of the way.
5. my hypopigmentation was pretty noticable at first but it blended in as i was out in the sun alot.
6. yes you can cover it with makeup
7. i waited 2 months in between
8. yes plenty of breakouts but that is normal for me.

-hope it helped!

i did not do accutane at all but i know some who did. she waited a year before starting fraxel. Her skin takes longer than mine to recover.

#25 fireball

fireball

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 June 2006 - 04:44 PM

Thanks for answering all my questions Chi-girl. I was wondering for those of you that had hyperpigmentation problems, this is where the skin darkens right? Does this look like a slight tan? Or is it like a horrible obvious darkening? I am Chinese and I think my skin type is III-IV. I am seriously considering the fraxel procedure but this is the only thing that really scars me.

#26 putty13

putty13

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 August 2006 - 04:40 PM

well, i have a slightly different situation. i am half chinese and half caucasion. any other "halfies" out there who have tried fraxel?

the more research i do the better it sounds. my scarring is fairly shallow...derms classify them as "superficial". is there anyone out there with shallow scarring who is happy with their fraxel results?

thanks.

#27 Simply_Me

Simply_Me

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2006 - 01:10 AM

i too would like to know, shallow scars sufferer here

#28 emily88

emily88

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2006 - 01:41 AM

Whoa, Fraxel is safe on Asian skin?! I have some redness and stitch marks left over from my excision and would love to get them smoothed out with Fraxel.

#29 j.l.r.m.

j.l.r.m.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 September 2006 - 12:10 AM

QUOTE(putty13 @ Aug 30 2006, 02:40 PM) View Post

well, i have a slightly different situation. i am half chinese and half caucasion. any other "halfies" out there who have tried fraxel?

the more research i do the better it sounds. my scarring is fairly shallow...derms classify them as "superficial". is there anyone out there with shallow scarring who is happy with their fraxel results?

thanks.

I'd like to know too. I'm halfie as well. My derm told me that there is a 30% chance of Asian skin getting serious hyperpigmentation with any invasive laser. I wonder if that makes it a 15% for halfies? I haven't been able to get excisions either, because of the risk of keloid formation. eusa_dance.gif

#30 chi_123

chi_123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 February 2007 - 11:45 PM

QUOTE(chi-gurl @ Jun 3 2006, 11:18 PM) View Post
Hey everyone,

As i read through these forums i was looking to see if anyone else had the same symptoms from fraxel as I did but i didnt find much. so if any of you are experiencing what i am going through PLEASE let me know.

ok, so i am in my early 20's and i am of Indian decent. i have several icepick scars and some mild scars on my cheeks. to me they look pretty severe because its my face but most people say its mild to moderate.

Anyway,i had my 4th and final fraxel treatment 3 days ago. it is still pretty swolen and i have major bronzing. my bronzing looks nothing like the pictures on the fraxel website. its more like scabs, thick linear scabs down my cheek and chin. I CANNNOT cover it up with makeup because it looks even worse and i cant go anywhere for about a week cuz thats how long it takes for the bronzing to do away. even after that my skin looks pretty raw and it is really noticeable because my forehead is a warm bronze color and my cheeks look like raw meat. it actually takes about a month for my skin to look normal again.

scar results:

i honestly did not see any change until the 3rd treatment. the changes very subtle too, its almost like my scars icepick scars have widened instead filled in . they are still there and pretty noticeable but my skin is much smoother and my makeup glides on like butter so thats a major plus.

the procedure:

well, a major bummer is the pain from the fraxel. I take 10mg percocet, 1mg of xanax, and lidocaine ointment an hour before the procedure. The drugs are GREAT, but not enough cuz i still remember the memory of the sharp pain from the procedure. the whole thing is unbearable. i tear up and i have to hold my breath most of the time and i need many breaks. By the end im so out of it from the pain and the drugs that i blabber on about things that dont make any sense. its not fun at all.

The side effects:

well due to my yellow undertones and brown skin, i have hypOpigmentation on my cheeks. it started off as a small, round clearly demarcated patch on my cheek after my third treatment. i actually thought it was a ring worm or something cuz it would crust up and plus i had a pediatrics rotation. Thankfully, it was not ringworms it was contact dermatitis which i still have. im on a low strength corticosteroid for it.

wow, i wrote alot. i didnt think i had so much to say. ill just bold the main points so you guys dont have to read my side comments.

aite fellas,
take care... n let me know if any of you have the same experience.

Hi Chi_Gurl,

I am also of Indian decent and in my mid 20's with the same issues you had mentioned. I met with a Dr today about the Fraxel laser and I was wondering if you would recommend it and if your experience overall was positive? What should I be asking my doctor?

I have the same ice pick scars and golden tan skin so I am very scared that there will be excessive hyperpigmentation. Would you recommend it? Also, who is your Dr. and would you recommend him for me? Since he has done such a great job with you, I wonder if its worth a shot. I don't believe the Dr I am seeing has had much experience with Indian Asian skin, so that makes me very nervous.

I am thinking of getting my first treatment next week, but now I am wondering if I should have consulted other doctors. Should I shop around? I am sooo nervous!!! Please HELP!

Thanks,

Chi_123

#31 doggydogg

doggydogg

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 February 2007 - 03:26 PM

chi123

I am Indian and had one fraxel treatment. From what I've read here and on the internet fraxel wont do anything for ice-picks so if that's what you have, I'm not sure why you're doctor would even reccomend fraxel.

#32 babadum

babadum

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 July 2007 - 08:39 PM

I want to try this but my derm told me there's no point since i'm oriental(as she puts it) I will just get more scarring and hyperpigmentation. That sucks ><;; ah well I guess I'll just have to hope some asian person makes something for asian skin scarring. I'm chinese btw.

#33 beauty21

beauty21

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 September 2007 - 05:20 PM

I am middle aged asian female. I have done 4 fraxel (last 2 treatment was with 1500) and have shallow acne scars. My skin DID NOT improve. Not much at all. I've tried many different treatments before like IPL, chemical peel, Obaji, microdermabrasion, and etc... This Fraxel was no different. I've had bad hyperpigmentation with IPL. I thought Fraxel would improve somewhat, maybe 20%. Not even close to 10% improvement for 3 Grand. I am kicking my foot and telling everyone to not do the fraxel. Don't waste your money!

#34 ylem

ylem

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 September 2007 - 09:03 PM

QUOTE(beauty21 @ Sep 2 2007, 05:20 PM) View Post
I am middle aged asian female. I have done 4 fraxel (last 2 treatment was with 1500) and have shallow acne scars. My skin DID NOT improve. Not much at all. I've tried many different treatments before like IPL, chemical peel, Obaji, microdermabrasion, and etc... This Fraxel was no different. I've had bad hyperpigmentation with IPL. I thought Fraxel would improve somewhat, maybe 20%. Not even close to 10% improvement for 3 Grand. I am kicking my foot and telling everyone to not do the fraxel. Don't waste your money!

Wow, guess if someone says, "I'll show you the best treament that worked perfectly on someone." then I must always turn around and say, "I'll show you a case where it didn't work on someone at all!"

God, Ive been waiting for someone like you to surface and unfortunately I am now on treatment 3. Shit shit shit

Beauty21, what were your settings for the fraxel sr 1500?

#35 zonk

zonk

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 September 2007 - 05:14 PM

QUOTE(ylem @ Sep 2 2007, 11:03 PM) View Post
QUOTE(beauty21 @ Sep 2 2007, 05:20 PM) View Post

Wow, guess if someone says, "I'll show you the best treament that worked perfectly on someone." then I must always turn around and say, "I'll show you a case where it didn't work on someone at all!"

God, Ive been waiting for someone like you to surface and unfortunately I am now on treatment 3. Shit shit shit

Beauty21, what were your settings for the fraxel sr 1500?

ylem, stop being ridiculous. every treatment has people who don't respond. stop obsessing about other people's results and just focus on getting the best out of your treatments.

beauty21, what types of scars and at what settings did you get treated?

#36 eyeboy

eyeboy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 September 2007 - 01:05 AM

hey guys i've been reading this thread and i'm going through five fraxel treatments as well.

i am asian and i noticed that even after the skin has peeled and stuff, there is this 'circles around my eye' where the fraxel didnt go through, even after like four weeks, i look like ive been sunburnt in the sun with sunglasses on.

pls tell me that that is normal and it will go away with time as the skin naturally sheds?

#37 ttran

ttran

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2008 - 07:05 PM

I'm Asian and in my mid 20's. I have moderate acne scars that have been with me since high school, so I've done some research around the internet and ask my friends to help me find the way to reduce the acne scars, so I ended up decided reading about Fraxel. It takes me months to deciding if this is the best for me, so I go to the consultation and it sounds good.

I then recently had my first Fraxel treatment for my acne scars on my face and it has been 3 days now, my face look like I was out of the sun too much and the skin all over my face start to peeling off (but most of the bronze/dry skins still attach to my face). Which then had left me with one new scar on the side of my lip. But my skin seems to look tighter and smoother (in the area where my skin have peeled off).

This is one of the experience I will never forget and maybe in the future will do it again because even though my skin feel tighter and smoother, there still dead bronze skin attached on my face that I hope will fall off tomorrow or so.

#38 Max-

Max-

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 April 2008 - 04:42 AM

Fraxel usually provide 40 percent result on acne scars at most, and it take quite a number of treatments to get some results.

#39 cutieasiandoll

cutieasiandoll

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:13 PM

I have asian skin too. I had my first fraxel done at a setting of 7 right before Valentine. My doctor said he would not go any higer setting for my skin cuz it may cause hyperpigmentation. I also use Super CP Serum gel on my acne scars. I do see results with the copper peptide and fraxel.

I will post after my second treatments in 3 weeks. Below is the site where you can purchase Super Serum. You can read all the blogs too.

reverseskinaging.com

#40 sunblock201

sunblock201

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:24 PM

I'm korean and have had 4 fraxel restore treatments. My RN only goes up to level 7 on me too but we go deeper every time... last one was at 55mj, level 7 at 8 passes. Overall, I am satisfied with the results. i had punch excisions done and they looked worse than before so it definately helped shrink the marks left from them. I have about 2-3 that are still noticable to me, boxcar ones that are much improved. My plan is to get 2 more but only spot treatment on my cheeks at $300. I do not feel I have hypopigmentation.. lucky me. but I do wear tinted moisturizer so I don't really notice. What's the most people have gotten? I mean I wouldn't mind doing 8 if I keep getting better results every time as I have so far!