Photo

popping cysts

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 KnowShow

KnowShow

"you need to forgive everyone in your life, and yourself

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 May 2006 - 09:12 AM

could someone please explain to me why you would pop a cyst, when it comes to a head, or course... I have read you should make sure to get all of the nasty stuff out.... Will this make it heal sooner... Is this better to do than to leave it alone.. Please reply... thanks.

#2 VegasMike

VegasMike

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 May 2006 - 09:14 AM

QUOTE(KnowShow @ May 26 2006, 08:12 AM) View Post

could someone please explain to me why you would pop a cyst, when it comes to a head, or course... I have read you should make sure to get all of the nasty stuff out.... Will this make it heal sooner... Is this better to do than to leave it alone.. Please reply... thanks.

you know the rule, don't touch...it will go down eventually and if you pop it there's a good chance your gonna have a scar.

#3 jordan90

jordan90

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 May 2006 - 05:18 PM

I always used to prick the zit with a sterilized needle then push out the puss and wash away. After that was done I would put a blob of BP about the size of a M&M over the cyst. The BP would work in deep and take out what was left under the skin.

#4 Eloise

Eloise

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 May 2006 - 02:25 PM

Don't touch! Chances of it scarring even without poking at it are high b/c it is a cystic lesion, but messing with it will probably make it worse!!!
Morning:
Eucerin Redness Relief Cleanser with facial brush
NIVEA Moisturizing Toner
Eucerin Extra Protection SPF 30
Bare Minerals in Fairly Light
Evening:
Eucerin with facial brush
NIVEA Moisturizing Toner
Paula's Choice BHA 1% Lotion
Retin-A Micro .1%
Eucerin Redness Relief Night Creme
Daily:
Ortho-Cyclen pill
Lacto-Pesco Vegetarian Diet

Important Start Dates:
April 24 '06 - Duac gel
May 14 - Ortho-cyclen (gave up Sprintec after 3 months)
May 30 - 50mg of Spironolactone
June 8 - 100mg of Spironolactone (ceased Spiro)
Oct 12 - Retin-A Micro (ceased Duac)
May 9 '07 - Eucerin cleanser (switched from Clinique)

#5 tttnjfttt

tttnjfttt

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 May 2006 - 10:22 PM

This is going to sound wierd but it is really true. The first cyst i had i left alone until i could see a derm, about 2 months after it showed up. I now have a huge scar from it. In college, I didnt have a derm to see, so I began trying to pop cysts. I found I had to wait till I could atleast see a faint head, or until I could put a needle in it and have it feel a certain way, but then I would squeeze it and literally have the crap inside it explode out. I haven't gotten a scar from this ever *knock on wood*. It also seems to heal faster if i can do this.

Any input?

#6 JBHK

JBHK

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2006 - 01:08 AM

QUOTE(tttnjfttt @ May 29 2006, 10:22 PM) View Post

This is going to sound wierd but it is really true. The first cyst i had i left alone until i could see a derm, about 2 months after it showed up. I now have a huge scar from it. In college, I didnt have a derm to see, so I began trying to pop cysts. I found I had to wait till I could atleast see a faint head, or until I could put a needle in it and have it feel a certain way, but then I would squeeze it and literally have the crap inside it explode out. I haven't gotten a scar from this ever *knock on wood*. It also seems to heal faster if i can do this.

Any input?

I agree. If there is a sign of a head, I generally try to get the crap out. I generally don't have scars, save one or two keloid scars where I basically messed around before the spot had come to a head. However, if you are prone to scarring easily, probably best to leave well enough alone.

Accutane course (30mg/day) 19/4/06 - 8/11/06 for moderate to severe facial acne
Status: All clear. Yeh! Haven't been able to say that for 15 years!
Current regimen: Any gentle cleanser / aloe vera + jojoba oil moisturiser / Green Cream

#7 KnowShow

KnowShow

"you need to forgive everyone in your life, and yourself

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2006 - 02:44 PM

hell ya, pop em, i had two of them and popped one and its completely gone.. the other one is slowly dying because I nuked it with BP and I havent used BP in 6-8 months so I think thats why it worked so good.. But it made my skin really red and irritated, obviously, but its getting better. I put neosporin on after I think that helped it heal.. Also I have another one in between my eyes on my nose, so f'in annoying that ive had for almost two months and i popped it and its almost gone..

Thanks to those who said pop away... good call.

#8 chris_23

chris_23

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 30 May 2006 - 10:24 PM

Being able to pop a cyst so it doesn't scar is pretty hard. But trust me on this, it's much better to get the bacteria and oil out, as opposed to it festuring under your skin for a month.

#9 FoolintheRain

FoolintheRain

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:51 AM

I usually put a warm washcloth on it in the evening. After almost a week, it finally gets to the point where it's poppable. I still usually have to break the skin but, after that it pretty much pours out. Oh, also at night before I go to bed, I put some Green tea oil on it. Good luck.
"Inside my heart is breaking. My makeup may be flaking. But my smile still stays on."

#10 Spezza

Spezza

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 75
About Me

Posted 02 June 2006 - 09:49 AM

I always popped cysts. Only ever got scars around my nose, but that was because there was constantly a cyst there. Just make sure when you pop that you get the hard centre of the cyst out. Nearly always there will be a hard "core" to any cyst. Just squeezing out the pus isn't enough, if you don't get the core of the cyst out it'll just infect again. goodluck, nothing worse than going for a pop and it not popping...

#11 tttnjfttt

tttnjfttt

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 June 2006 - 10:52 AM

QUOTE(Spezza @ Jun 2 2006, 08:49 AM) View Post

I always popped cysts. Only ever got scars around my nose, but that was because there was constantly a cyst there. Just make sure when you pop that you get the hard centre of the cyst out. Nearly always there will be a hard "core" to any cyst. Just squeezing out the pus isn't enough, if you don't get the core of the cyst out it'll just infect again. goodluck, nothing worse than going for a pop and it not popping...

That is exactly whati have found! And not getting it out leads to it a much much much worse cyst. Though i have found when i do get it to pop, it (This is going to be gross) literally explodes and usually ends up on the mirror. Sorry, TMI, i know.

#12 jackieblue

jackieblue

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 38
About Me

Posted 02 June 2006 - 11:19 PM

I figure, might as well try and pop if there's a head. If you're like me it doesn't scar any worse than if you leave it alone.

#13 o_Adam_o

o_Adam_o

riding the scars bandwagon for far to long

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:05 PM

never touch a cysts, i wish i knew not too when i first had them, hens some of the deep cheek scars i have.. just leave them bee, they'll go in there own time

#14 Polska Laska

Polska Laska

*Be thankful for the little things in life*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 April 2009 - 01:02 AM

If it comes to a head, steralize the smallest headed needle you can get, prick that b*tch, and gently pop. The most satisfying feeling is getting all the pus and blood out... Cysts leave PIH no matter what because they stretch your skin too quickly (they're large and develop fast). If you make a tiny prick, it will leave PIH just the same, to say anything otherwise doesn't make sense. There's nothing wrong with making a tiny prick, and gently removing the nasty infectious junk inside the cyst. Put a glob of polysporin 3x the healing cream on it, bam, less PIH. This is a tried, tested and true approach. I will always pop anything that comes to a head. CAREFULLY and with TINY guaged needed.

#15 acne_battle

acne_battle

this is Ollie, my parents cat which I took a pic of on my b day

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 April 2009 - 01:04 AM

No, the only types of pimples that should be popped are whiteheads. Cysts shouldnt be popped, popules shouldnt be popped, and nodules shouldnt be popped.
My regimen changed (starting 5/16/09) and I am not a happy camper

AM regimen
Wash face and chest with Kaiser 5% bp wash
Moisturize with face reality skincare cranberry cream
Apply Estee Lauder Future Perfect Eye Cream
Apply make up, blush, finishing powder, MAC moisture cover to dark underyeye circles
Pop a doxycycline

PM regimen
Remove make up with desert esscence jojoba oil using cotton balls
starting evening of May 28, 2009, I wash my face with Face Reality Skincare Sensitive Skin Gel Cleanser at night time only
Apply Differin to face and chest
Wait to dry and moisturize with face reality skincare cranberry cream
Apply Estee Lauder Future Perfect Eye Cream
Pop a doxycycline

Foundation- MAC Studio Tech Foundation in NC20 or MAC Studio Sculpt Foundation in NW15, apply a MAC blush, apply MAC prep and prime finishing powder

Anyone who has a problem zit thats having a hard time healing, try this and let me know if it helped you. Mix one tablespoon of sea salt with three tablespoons of warm water, apply to a cotton ball or a paper towel. Apply to the zit for ten to fifteen minutes, and then wash it off.