Photo

I dont have insurance...How much would accutane const me in CASH?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 KancerStick

KancerStick

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 10 May 2006 - 03:33 PM

im kind of in a bind here...its not like i dont have money to get insurance..but im curious how much accutane would cost for someone without insurance?

#2 Guest_tired of this shish_*

Guest_tired of this shish_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 10 May 2006 - 04:09 PM

Not sure, but I think it's in the range of $300-$400...

anyone correct me.

#3 Susan1967

Susan1967

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 May 2006 - 04:39 PM

Call a pharmacy or two or three and they can give you price quotes for it. Some pharmacies are more expensive than others, which is something I don't think a lot of people realize because we depend on our insurance companies (if we have one) to tell us what our copay is.

I can tell you that the cost depends not only on the medication itself but the dosage and number of pills. So, and this is important, when your doctor increases your dosage and if it requires you to take two different pill strengths to acheive optimum dosage, make sure he writes it in such a way as to keep the # of pills to as little as possible. A higher number of pills makes the prescription price higher.

#4 RyanJ21

RyanJ21

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 May 2006 - 05:40 PM

599.99 per box and the dosage has not has an effect on the price so far.

#5 *Ariana*

*Ariana*

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 25
About Me

Posted 10 May 2006 - 06:25 PM

But how much do you get per box? How long does it last?

#6 Guest_Kaelynd_*

Guest_Kaelynd_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 10 May 2006 - 06:41 PM

Well I am on 60mg.
Weekly to be on 60mg, it would cost you about 51.00$ (canadian)

#7 KancerStick

KancerStick

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 May 2006 - 07:09 PM

600 bux? geezus christ...looks like im going to be working overtime

#8 Guest_tired of this shish_*

Guest_tired of this shish_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 35

Posted 10 May 2006 - 08:11 PM

For those with insurance, how much do ya pay?

I could get it for $30 for a months supply with my insurance.

#9 AmberLynn

AmberLynn

You know I would, if I could. I'll do anything spontaneously

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 May 2006 - 10:04 PM

It would be 600 for the meds in America, plus, the lab work and the doctors visits. Its pretty rough. With insurance, I pay 80 for the accutane and 50 for the Doctor and Labs. Blech.. Good luck to ya!!

#10 Susan1967

Susan1967

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 May 2006 - 11:01 PM

When I was taking it, my copay for a doctor visit was $15, the blood test was covered, and my copay for the Rx was $50.

My doctor told me that many insurance companies do vary the copay based on the number of pills. More pills means more boxes and that costs more money. If you were supposed to take 60mg, for example, you have to combine two pill strengths to get that amount, because it doesn't come in 60mg. So you would have to either have a Rx that is a total of thirty 40mg pills and 20mg pills for a grand total of 60pills. If you decided to take three 20mg pills a day instead, that's a grand total of 90pills. There are 10 pills on each cardboard thing and I think there were 3 cardboard things per box, which equal 30 pills. So if you use the first combination, you need two boxes. If you use the second combination, you need three boxes. So if it's $600 a box, the amount of pills you need does, in fact, effect the total cost.

#11 blondy19

blondy19

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 May 2006 - 01:22 PM

QUOTE(KancerStick @ May 10 2006, 03:33 PM) View Post

im kind of in a bind here...its not like i dont have money to get insurance..but im curious how much accutane would cost for someone without insurance?

I was paying cash for my first 2 months on accutane. it was REALLY expensive. The cost for the 40 mg was about $490 something, around there, and for the 20mg was about $400, i dont really quite remember but im giving u an idea.so around 900 to 1000 u'll be wasting in a month counting doctor visits. it probably be worth getting insurance then think bout goin on the accutane. i paid ALOT the first 2 months. So yeah its real expensive, but it does work.

#12 SteveL

SteveL

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 May 2006 - 02:41 PM

the afore mentioned prices are accurate...as mentioned, just call any pharmacy and ask for the "cash price" of a months supply of accutane (be sure to calculate out the dosage you think you'll need, based on weight) to find the right strength and quantity.

As for asking about cost with insurance...This question won't help you at all, unfortunatley. There are hundreds of insurance companies out there with thousands of different policies for individuals and businesses.

Even if you do have insurance, it doesn't mean it would automatically be covered at your normal co-pay (for example 15/ brand rx). There are things called "tiers" in insurance plans that many people don't know about. Additionally, there is something called a formulary. If the drug is "non-fomulary" it will have a higher co pay (for example, a 12 dollar copay might now be 50, 80, 100/rx).

For me, I would pay (0.00) for an rx of amnesteem. I've also seen, 5.00, 50.00 100.00...no coverage, pay full cash price.

#13 Jules70

Jules70

~* Acne.org Addict *~

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 May 2006 - 04:44 PM

I just picked up 60 caps of 40mg Sotret (Accutane generic)
The pharmacy slip says "regular cash price $520.49 US) (that's for 30 day supply @ 80mgs a day)
I'm very lucky in that I have insurance............
$5.00 co-pay for doctor's office visit
lab/blood work is covered
$3.00 co-pay for generic meds

#14 boiegrafikz

boiegrafikz

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 May 2006 - 05:08 PM

$800/month, $400/month for generic plus the doctors visits and the cost of blood work, both monthly.

#15 GravityAlwaysWins

GravityAlwaysWins

Something Better Than Nothing

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 May 2006 - 08:02 PM

I pay 540 dollars for a month's supply of 120mg of Sotret.

#16 yoyoman21

yoyoman21

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 May 2006 - 08:23 PM

i did the calculations when i didnt think my insurance would cover it(tons of problems in the begining), i'd say around 4000 $ total with dr visits/ blood work/ prescriptions.

If you have severe cystic acne i'd say its definitely worth it.

#17 Susan1967

Susan1967

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 May 2006 - 10:10 PM

QUOTE(yoyoman21 @ May 11 2006, 07:23 PM) View Post

i did the calculations when i didnt think my insurance would cover it(tons of problems in the begining), i'd say around 4000 $ total with dr visits/ blood work/ prescriptions.

If you have severe cystic acne i'd say its definitely worth it.

That is exactly why it would be smart to look into getting insurance. You can get an individual policy if you don't have group coverage through an empolyer.
Even if the premiums are $300/month, it'll be cheaper to have insurance in the long run. Consider not just the cost of the medication, but the Dermatologist visits and the blood tests. Out of pocket, an office visit and blood test alone could run you more than your monthly insurance premium would be -- that doesn't even include the medication.
Just make sure to do your homework, understand your coverage, and shop around. Not all companies and policies are the same.

#18 jimmy78

jimmy78

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 May 2006 - 01:30 PM

$600 a month is more than I am willing to pay so i ordered it online at a fraction of the cost.

#19 Fuman

Fuman

F.B.I

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 May 2006 - 02:04 PM

wish Roche still had that benefit plan for people with no insurance

I feel sorry for the people who don't have any insurance that's ALOT of money