Photo

HELP!!! Need advice for my 12 year old

severe acne

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
78 replies to this topic

#1 secretagent

secretagent

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 April 2006 - 06:45 PM

My daughter who turned 12 in November has severe acne which has been getting progressively worse the last 6-10 months despite an aggressive regimen from her derm. Now she is taking 75mg Minocycline twice a day plus Nicomide once a day, for the past 3 months. This is the second antiobiotic she has been on and it really hasnt improved.

Today the derm suggested either phototherapy or Accutane. And of course since she is menstruating (duh that is why she has acne) she would have to also take birth control pills with the Accutane. And of course the blood work and preg tests.

Any suggestions? I am really afraid to put her on Accutane. The doctor doesnt think there is anything else. She is an athlete and this would just kill her if she experiences any muscle pain. I dont even want to think about the mental side effects.

I need advice from those who have had severe acne. Would you or have had your kids on Accutane. BTW The phototherapy is $400 a clip--four treatments every six months. We just dont have the $$$ for it. I need an alternative therapy. I dont want her to scar and the kids in school are really teasing her. HELP!!

#2 Brandy

Brandy

• Regimen Assistance
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 April 2006 - 06:49 PM

has she been using any topical medications along with the oral antibiotics? Has she ever used Retin-A, or any bp topicals like Benzamycin?
Sometimes a combination of oral and topical meds can help, but unfortunately sometimes the only thing for severe acne is Accutane.
There are lots of people here on it, and others who have taken it in the past, myself included.
I'll link our Accutane Logs forum for you to read through and see what some of those have to say who are experiencing it now.

http://www.acne.org/...hp?showforum=36

We're all in this together.

#3 boiegrafikz

boiegrafikz

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 April 2006 - 07:24 PM

go with accutane, I never had side effects, its the only thing.
Posted Image

#4 secretagent

secretagent

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 April 2006 - 07:57 AM

She uses Retin-A at nite and another ointment in the morning along with a sulphur-based wash. Still I worry about the side effects of Accutane. She is a very active athlete and I have been reading a lot about muscle pain and fatigue. She has a lot on her plate and the last thing we need is side effects.

There are no cysts or nodules, but it pretty much is all over her face. I am still very unsure. Thanks for the advice.

#5 DawgDaze64

DawgDaze64

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 April 2006 - 08:44 AM

QUOTE(secretagent @ Apr 30 2006, 07:57 AM) View Post

She uses Retin-A at nite and another ointment in the morning along with a sulphur-based wash. Still I worry about the side effects of Accutane. She is a very active athlete and I have been reading a lot about muscle pain and fatigue. She has a lot on her plate and the last thing we need is side effects.

There are no cysts or nodules at this point, but it pretty much is all over her face. I am still very unsure. Thanks for the advice.

I would say that since your daughter isn't experiencing cysts or nodules, you should first try a benzoyl peroxide regimen. And anything and everything, with Accutane being a last resort. Although many people experience little to no side effects and it can put the majority of people into remission for upwards of ten years, it is a serious, powerful drug. If you put her on it now, who's to say she won't develop cystic acne in the future, and will therefore have to endure a second round? Or third?

My regimen:

Mornings:
CeraVe Foaming Cleanser Normal to Oily Skin
Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Toner, Oily/Combination Skin (no alcohol, tons of antioxidants)

Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Super Antioxidant Serum

CeraVe AM Facial Moisturizing Lotion 30 SPF for Normal to Dry Skin

Amnesteem 40mg daily, 6-month course started June 30, 2014

Evenings:
Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Toner, Oily/Combination Skin (no alcohol, tons of antioxidants)
CeraVe PM Facial Moisturizing Lotion for Normal to Dry Skin

Make-Up (on the days I have to wear it for business, etc.):
Estee Lauder Double Wear or Almay TLC 16 hour foundation

#6 Janiet53

Janiet53

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Posted 30 April 2006 - 09:26 AM

If cysts and nodules aren't the problem then the regimen would probably be helpful http://www.acne.org/regimen.html, however, if this dosen't give the results you are after then in my oponion the only thing better is accutane which is probably best to get over with when your young to avoid all the agro with acne in her teenage years smile.gif

Started 20-12-2005
My regimen (Once a day at night, as I only have very mild acne):

Simple Cleansing Wipes
CSR BP gel
Eucerin Dry Skin Relief Face Cream

Members of the super sexy Acne.orgy pile- Raleigh, BFGUITAR, Beanz, Calibos, Coughdrop, Donkey, Beejay, Posh, Janiet53, Erniemccrazyface, Intoxifornication, Ronaldo, Realist, Mask, Femina_Mala_Est, Cookiekiss,
Chipmunk Spunk, YahYah, Mandy, Spike Rules89, Gregb, SunnyGorilla

#7 Jacks0n

Jacks0n

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 April 2006 - 09:55 AM

75mg is pretty low. I have been on 400mg. Get him to crank it up.
And don't be afraid of roaccutane, it's not that bad. Stay on a low dosage (below 50mg/day for a normal weight person) and she shouldn't that many side effects. Get the dosage as high as possible, BEFORE she starts getting side effects. So start low, and move up.

#8 Guest_Kaelynd_*

Guest_Kaelynd_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1

Posted 30 April 2006 - 10:05 AM

Please please please put your daughter on accutane. I started getting skin problems around age 12 as well, I'm nw 15. I wish so badly that I my parents woudlve let me go on accutane back then rather that now, because I just started 2 weeks ago.

Although I know this pill is very scary for parents, mine are completely paranoid about every mood swing I have etc, and there are alot of side affects. Your daughter will be so much happier if she gets this over with at age 12 rather than waiting, not only will she hopefully be able to enter highschool will clear skin, getting rid of the acne earlier will result in less permanent scarring.

#9 Guest_tvirus_outbreak_*

Guest_tvirus_outbreak_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 01 May 2006 - 06:05 AM

I'm 12 and I have acne as well (but by the way your describing it I don't think mine is as bad as your daughter's). You could get her to try Vilantae (www.vilantae.com) I myself had not tried it, but other people have said they have had good results with it. Another option is Vitamin B5 (www.b5clearskin.com) I recently ordered that and I'm waiting for it to arrive. However, if her acne is very severe B5 may not be enough.

#10 screw_acne

screw_acne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 May 2006 - 06:23 AM

QUOTE(secretagent @ Apr 30 2006, 08:45 AM) View Post

My daughter who turned 12 in November has severe acne which has been getting progressively worse the last 6-10 months despite an aggressive regimen from her derm. Now she is taking 75mg Minocycline twice a day plus Nicomide once a day, for the past 3 months. This is the second antiobiotic she has been on and it really hasnt improved.

Today the derm suggested either phototherapy or Accutane. And of course since she is menstruating (duh that is why she has acne) she would have to also take birth control pills with the Accutane. And of course the blood work and preg tests.

Any suggestions? I am really afraid to put her on Accutane. The doctor doesnt think there is anything else. She is an athlete and this would just kill her if she experiences any muscle pain. I dont even want to think about the mental side effects.

I need advice from those who have had severe acne. Would you or have had your kids on Accutane. BTW The phototherapy is $400 a clip--four treatments every six months. We just dont have the $$$ for it. I need an alternative therapy. I dont want her to scar and the kids in school are really teasing her. HELP!!

hi , i have heard that overdose or even normal dose of accutane sometimes STUNTS growth by maturing bone marrel , causing an increase in boneage hence there maybe be a chance that she cant grow taller any more ( MAYBE ). but if she is already like 5'3'' or more .. who cares ?
Nobody dies a virgin because life screws us all in a way.

#11 secretagent

secretagent

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 May 2006 - 09:11 AM

It is extremely difficult and I still don't know what to do.

My daughter is 5' 3" right now but is a bb player, so no growth stunting please!!

Has anyone ever used Accuzine? I dont know if it is a rip-off or not and I have seen mixed reviews.

I want to try something else before resorting to Accutane. I have been reading some of the journals here and boy if she even gets a fraction of some of these symptoms, no way will I let her go thru this!!

And I see some of the regimens you guys are on but truth be told I have to push her just to take the 3 pills a day plus her two ointments and face wash.

She goes back in a month to the derm. I will see what else we can do before going on Accutane. Maybe even wait until school lets out.

#12 DawgDaze64

DawgDaze64

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 May 2006 - 10:49 AM

QUOTE(secretagent @ May 1 2006, 09:11 AM) View Post

My daughter is 5' 3" right now but is a bb player, so no growth stunting please!!

Has anyone ever used Accuzine? I dont know if it is a rip-off or not and I have seen mixed reviews.

I want to try something else before resorting to Accutane. I have been reading some of the journals here and boy if she even gets a fraction of some of these symptoms, no way will I let her go thru this!!

And I see some of the regimens you guys are on but truth be told I have to push her just to take the 3 pills a day plus her two ointments and face wash.

She goes back in a month to the derm. I will see what else we can do before going on Accutane. Maybe even wait until school lets out.

You've mentioned that she's on two antibiotics and Retin-A. What is the other "ointment"?

If it's not benzoyl peroxide, honestly, I'd take her off the antibiotics, and have her use the Retin-A in the a.m., benzoyl peroxide at night (the two together cancel each other out). I think you may see much success with that simple regimen.

My regimen:

Mornings:

Evenings:

#13 Brandy

Brandy

• Regimen Assistance
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 May 2006 - 01:37 PM

I've got kids too, so I understand your frustration, but if you have to force her to use her topicals and take her pills, maybe her acne doesn't bother her.
No treatment regimen is going to help anyone who won't use it strictly and religiously. And if you are having to force her to use the stuff, then maybe it doesn't bother her as much as it bothers you.
That is the biggest problem I've seen with teens and acne, they don't want to stick with their treatments, and they tend to expect rapid results, and when they don't get rapid results they just want to give up. It just doesn't work that way. You have to use your medications properly, consistently, no matter what you are using, if you are going to get any results.

We're all in this together.

#14 rainybutterly

rainybutterly

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 May 2006 - 02:17 PM

QUOTE(secretagent @ Apr 29 2006, 07:45 PM) View Post

I am 28. I had my first breakout at 9 yrs old. I have heard really BAD things about Accutane. I don't recommend it. I think that younger kids with acne are so desperate to get rid of it, that they are willing to try anything, regardless of the possible side effects. If you do decide to allow your daughter to take Accutane, PLEASE read the warnings on the drug first. I know that it is very hard to see your daughter suffer with her acne, but it could be alot worse, if she has a reaction to the Accutane. I have never used this product, because of the possible side effects. I know that there are people that have great success with the product. I am not willing to be a lab rat, i am very careful with what i use. I prefer to use natural products. I am not 100% clear, but i don't worry, that i made the wrong choice by using something that could hinder the life of my future children. I am in the process of researching safe alternatives for acne treatment and prevention. I am being very sincere and i hope that you will find something that works for your daughter. I am currently using a mild cleanser and aloe vera gel as a moisturizer. Apple-cider vinegar is great for severe acne. It can be used along with the other two products. I hope that this helps you. Good luck to you and your daughter. I will continue to research and update as much as possible here on acne.org

#15 secretagent

secretagent

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 May 2006 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE(DawgDaze64 @ May 1 2006, 11:49 AM) View Post

QUOTE(secretagent @ May 1 2006, 09:11 AM) View Post

You've mentioned that she's on two antibiotics and Retin-A. What is the other "ointment"?

If it's not benzoyl peroxide, honestly, I'd take her off the antibiotics, and have her use the Retin-A in the a.m., benzoyl peroxide at night (the two together cancel each other out). I think you may see much success with that simple regimen.

Zoderm 4.5% bp. I was told to use the Retin-A at nite and bp in the morning. Is 4.5 strong enough? I probably am going to take her off the antibiotic and stick with the ointment. Should Retin-A be used in the morning instead or does it matter?

Thanks for all the replies.

#16 Susan1967

Susan1967

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:22 PM

QUOTE(secretagent @ Apr 29 2006, 05:45 PM) View Post

Photodynamic Therapy is a good option and it doesn't involve ingesting oral medications. It's also called Blue light therapy, I think. I hear it's pretty effective.
I'd really be hesitant to put her on birth control pills at such a young age. My little girl is 12 too, and acne or no, I would not choose to put her on birth control pills for Accutane until she is at least 16. I'll see if there is any research on this....

#17 DawgDaze64

DawgDaze64

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:45 AM

Zoderm 4.5% bp. I was told to use the Retin-A at nite and bp in the morning. Is 4.5 strong enough? I probably am going to take her off the antibiotic and stick with the ointment. Should Retin-A be used in the morning instead or does it matter?

Thanks for all the replies.

Yes, 4.5% is strong enough. Also, I don't think it matters what time of day you use which product, so long as you don't use them together. If the BP is drying her out uncomfortably, have her use it at night and apply a thin, oil free moisturizer on top.

And as Brandy points out, consistent use is the key.

Good luck!

My regimen:

Mornings:

Evenings:

#18 Sublime

Sublime

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:04 PM

Am I the only one who would suggest phototherapy? I'd check with that before accutane. Mabey they can be used together? Ask your derm. I'd say go with the phototherapy because it dosnt have the initial breakout. Accutane has initial breakout for about the first 2 months that might really bum her out.

#19 Susan1967

Susan1967

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 May 2006 - 09:05 PM

QUOTE(Sublime @ May 2 2006, 06:04 PM) View Post

Am I the only one who would suggest phototherapy? I'd check with that before accutane. Mabey they can be used together? Ask your derm. I'd say go with the phototherapy because it dosnt have the initial breakout. Accutane has initial breakout for about the first 2 months that might really bum her out.

I suggest too (look up). PDT may very well be an excellent choice for her.

I don't think you can do PDT at the same time as accutane but you could probably do PDT with an antibiotic.

The problem with antibiotic is that they were meant to treat acute infections. I think it's a bad idea being on antibiotics more than a month and there is all sorts of medical studies to back me up.

Bad acne or not (I had it at that age too), I think Accutane and birth control pills for a 12 year old is not a good idea. As horrible as it sounds, I would try to wait it out while using other treatments for at least a few years before going with the big guns. And that's coming from an Accutane supporter.

#20 gwapito

gwapito

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:34 AM

Phototherapy is not really a surefire succes in controlling a severe acne situation. It kills the bacteria but as long as the oil glands are excessively active then chances are the pimples will come back in due time.

You really have to asses your kid if she is ready for accutane. She is only 12 and hormonal imbalance still has'nt hit it's peak so the probability of it worsening it still on it's way. Accutane at that age may be helpful or devastating. Phototherapy is really expensive treatment and a great possibility for acne to come back is great.

So finding other options like the Vit. b5 could be a solution for her since no side effects has ever been recorded. Or maybe supplemental therapy is the only way for her. Finding a temporary solution for acne is a trial and error procedure. But since your options are limited, it's best to weigh your options that would go on the better side of your childs welfare.

Are'nt they pretty... and so inhumanely unnerving...

My Daily Regime:
Morning: Pray for a Miracle
Evening: Beg for mercy for that miracle to come true