Photo

Weeping-Crusting Face Acne

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Weather Guy

Weather Guy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 April 2006 - 10:27 AM

I'm new here and now that I've got to know the forum a bit I've decided to post about my Acne. When I get a breakout, I don't get a mass of pimples, but my face just starts weeping, and given some time it will go all crusty. If the crust comes off to soon, then it will just start weeping again. After a couple of days the crust just falls off by its self and the weeping has stopped. I didn't think it was acne at first, but doctor seemed to think so, so I am on a 8 week course of antibiotics. Doesn't seem to have had much affect. I thought maybe it was Contact Dermatitis.

I'm 19 now, and this has plagued me for about 1 and a half years. Sometimes I can go for weeks if not a month without a breakout, and sometimes, like it is now, just won't seem to go away. The area that weeps is almost a constant pretty much red'ish, noticeably red'er compared to the the rest of my face, almost like a butterfly pattern on my face. I started using the Benzoyl Peroxide and by a week my face was very red, dry and flaking. So I stopped using it and after a couple of days my face was looking much clearer than before I started the Benzoyl Peroxide. Then a big flareup occured (which was couple of days ago now) and I'm still trying to clear it up to this day.

So I'm looking for some answers, hope you guys can help.

Thanks.

#2 Susan1967

Susan1967

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 April 2006 - 10:37 AM

It sounds like an infection by the way you are describing it. The thing with yeast infections like that, though, sometimes you have to take anti-fungal with the antibiotics.

Ask your Doctor to refer you to a good Dermatologist to see what other options you have.

There are some really great anit-wheat diet suggestions down the Diet/Holistic Health page on this forum. You may have a sensitivity to wheat, which is making the situation worse.

But if I were you, I'd go to my Doctor again -- if you've had this for over a year and you've tried the antibiotic course, then he needs to approach this differently.

#3 longshot

longshot

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 April 2006 - 12:51 PM

what do you mean by weeping?

#4 Brandy

Brandy

• Regimen Assistance
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 April 2006 - 01:01 PM

butterfly pattern on the face makes me think of Rosacea. Lupus also has a characteristic "butterfly" shaped rash.
I think you need to find another dermatologist.
Weeping (oozing) is not typical for basic acne. It sounds like you really need to find someone to take a serious look at you and give you a proper diagnosis.

Read up on Rosacea and also Seborrheic Dermatitis and see if either of those sound like what you have.

We're all in this together.

#5 Weather Guy

Weather Guy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 April 2006 - 06:25 AM

Like a weeping (oozing) wound with clear'ish substance envolved, except their is no wound, just red'ish skin that just start weeping. The weeping is very slowly but over time will form crust. Ha you never popped a spot and after you got the puss out it started oozing clear substance? Is like that.

Pretty sure I don't have Seborrheic Dermatitis.

I wouldn't of thought it was Rosacea as the Benzoly Peroxide is supossed to make it worse:

"Benzoyl peroxide is a popular medication that is used for acne blemishes. Rosacea experts caution that benzoyl peroxide usually worsens rosacea because it is very irritating and drying to sensitive facial skin. (130, 136) In a recent rosacea review article, "Recognizing Rosacea", Dr. Millikan from the Department of Dermatology, Tulane University Medical School, indicates that benzoyl peroxide should never be used on rosacea skin. (136) In fact, Dr. Millikan indicates that benzoyl peroxide can actually induce rosacea in some patients. In cleanser or cream form, benzoyl peroxide should be avoided in most rosacea patients."

#6 longshot

longshot

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 April 2006 - 10:29 AM

hmmm...i would try a new derm, it doesn't sound like typical case of acne, if it even is acne.

#7 Weather Guy

Weather Guy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 May 2006 - 03:24 PM

Well I've been on the Regimen and haven't had a major breakout since 23rd April (When I made this thread). I've yet to experience/notice any weeping since then, but suffer from some slight crusting on my cheeks(which appears to form over the pores). Also I seem to be getting a few very tiny white puss spots in this region, I don't remember getting these before.

So the Benzoly Peroxide seems to be keeping the weeping at bay, but won't clear my skin up completely. Obviously it's only been a few weeks, so more improvement could yet to come. Just wish the damn redness would go away.

Here is my Regimen now:

Wash with warm water
Pat dry
Wait 15 minutes
Apply PanOxyl Aquagel 2.5
Wait 15 minutes
Apply Eucerin Dry Skin Relief Face Cream

Before this Regimen I was scared to wash my face because I thought it would cause a breakout, so I've come along way. Before this time, say 1 month ago, the only time my face got washed was in the shower. Maybe this wierd acne has come upon me because my face never got washed?

#8 #1cubsfan

#1cubsfan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 May 2006 - 03:32 PM

QUOTE(Weather Guy @ Apr 23 2006, 11:27 AM) View Post

I'm new here and now that I've got to know the forum a bit I've decided to post about my Acne. When I get a breakout, I don't get a mass of pimples, but my face just starts weeping, and given some time it will go all crusty. If the crust comes off to soon, then it will just start weeping again. After a couple of days the crust just falls off by its self and the weeping has stopped. I didn't think it was acne at first, but doctor seemed to think so, so I am on a 8 week course of antibiotics. Doesn't seem to have had much affect. I thought maybe it was Contact Dermatitis.

I'm 19 now, and this has plagued me for about 1 and a half years. Sometimes I can go for weeks if not a month without a breakout, and sometimes, like it is now, just won't seem to go away. The area that weeps is almost a constant pretty much red'ish, noticeably red'er compared to the the rest of my face, almost like a butterfly pattern on my face. I started using the Benzoyl Peroxide and by a week my face was very red, dry and flaking. So I stopped using it and after a couple of days my face was looking much clearer than before I started the Benzoyl Peroxide. Then a big flareup occured (which was couple of days ago now) and I'm still trying to clear it up to this day.

So I'm looking for some answers, hope you guys can help.

Thanks.

It kind of sounds like what your describing is impetigo. I got that as a kid when someone scratched me on the chin. It had a crust on it with like a liquid underneath. The only difference is that it travels to other parts of the body if not treated. Have you noticed anything like that anywhere else?
From what I can recall:
Jan.06 through April 06
6 sessions of Fraxel 1
Started at 18 mjs. Ended at 24mjs.
All at 125
Full Face
Started at 2 passes. Ended with 4 passes.

Oct.2006
2 Polimar treatments

Jan.5,2007
Fraxel 1(again)
full face
18 mjs. on forehead
22 mjs. on cheeks
All at 250

Feb.5,2007
Fraxel 1
20 mjs.
4.17 KJs
Full face at 125

#9 LabGirl81

LabGirl81

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 11
About Me

Posted 09 May 2006 - 08:56 AM

QUOTE(#1cubsfan @ May 8 2006, 05:32 PM) View Post

It kind of sounds like what your describing is impetigo. I got that as a kid when someone scratched me on the chin. It had a crust on it with like a liquid underneath. The only difference is that it travels to other parts of the body if not treated. Have you noticed anything like that anywhere else?

That's excatly what I was thinking when you described the weeping and crusting..........ask a derm if it may be impetigo and not acne........you could have a mild case of acne as well as impetigo......Antibiotics should clear it up.......you won't need a long course.....only about a week to 10 days.......you may be on the wrong antiboitic to treat it.....or it could be a fungal infection.....in which case antibiotics won't help......you'd need an antifungal......
I'm off Accutane!!!!!

Six month course from 9/7/06 to 3/23/07......dosage ranged from 20mg a day to a whopping 120mg/day, giving a huge cumulitive dose of 262.5mg/kg.

I'm clear, but will be using Tazorac for maintnence (and to keep any wrinkles that want to come up at bay)......

So you want to see my acne and 'tane results??? Lab's Gallery

#10 Weather Guy

Weather Guy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 May 2006 - 08:37 PM

Well the skin on my face doesn't itch one bit, and I don't remember having any blisters on my body. I just looked at the pictures of Impetigo and it most certainly is not that. Thinking back I remember that one day my face has no problems with it, this in the morning. Then by night time just like that the skin is weeping. I think it must be that the pores are weeping because their is no visible damage to the skin which would explain the weeping. The parts that weep (forehead and cheeks 95% of the time) were definitely a different colour though, slight pinkish colour I think.

I just remember I have an old pic of me on the web (aged 16):
http://www.ercoracin...php?driverid=19

Interesting to note that on my cheeks and forehead the skin is slightly pink (not sunburnt). This was how it always was. I would complain about the pinky-ness of my cheeks and that, but my mum always said that it was hardly noticable so nothing came off it. I think the weeping started about a year ago, but it was same area's that was pink that would weep. Think their is a link their.

I do get spots occasionally. Some time back now, o hard to remember, some of the white heads I had - they got a bit messy. They turned into lumps under the skin. I can still feel some of those lumps now and the scaring is evident. A few of the lumps burst and masses of puss came out which was quite shocking the first time it happened. Back then I was always playing with any spots I got and that, I think that's why they turned into lumps under the skin. But I learnt my lesson now and never play with spots.

As long as I am on the Benzoly Peroxide, I don't think the weeping will be coming back. So surely if it's some infection or fungal thing, the Benzoly Peroxide shouldn't help with it?

Thanks for replies again.

#11 #1cubsfan

#1cubsfan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 May 2006 - 07:12 AM

QUOTE(Weather Guy @ May 9 2006, 09:37 PM) View Post

Well the skin on my face doesn't itch one bit, and I don't remember having any blisters on my body. I just looked at the pictures of Impetigo and it most certainly is not that. Thinking back I remember that one day my face has no problems with it, this in the morning. Then by night time just like that the skin is weeping. I think it must be that the pores are weeping because their is no visible damage to the skin which would explain the weeping. The parts that weep (forehead and cheeks 95% of the time) were definitely a different colour though, slight pinkish colour I think.

I just remember I have an old pic of me on the web (aged 16):
http://www.ercoracin...php?driverid=19

Interesting to note that on my cheeks and forehead the skin is slightly pink (not sunburnt). This was how it always was. I would complain about the pinky-ness of my cheeks and that, but my mum always said that it was hardly noticable so nothing came off it. I think the weeping started about a year ago, but it was same area's that was pink that would weep. Think their is a link their.

I do get spots occasionally. Some time back now, o hard to remember, some of the white heads I had - they got a bit messy. They turned into lumps under the skin. I can still feel some of those lumps now and the scaring is evident. A few of the lumps burst and masses of puss came out which was quite shocking the first time it happened. Back then I was always playing with any spots I got and that, I think that's why they turned into lumps under the skin. But I learnt my lesson now and never play with spots.

As long as I am on the Benzoly Peroxide, I don't think the weeping will be coming back. So surely if it's some infection or fungal thing, the Benzoly Peroxide shouldn't help with it?

Thanks for replies again.

If I were you, I would still go see a dermatologist.
From what I can recall:
Jan.06 through April 06
6 sessions of Fraxel 1
Started at 18 mjs. Ended at 24mjs.
All at 125
Full Face
Started at 2 passes. Ended with 4 passes.

Oct.2006
2 Polimar treatments

Jan.5,2007
Fraxel 1(again)
full face
18 mjs. on forehead
22 mjs. on cheeks
All at 250

Feb.5,2007
Fraxel 1
20 mjs.
4.17 KJs