Photo

Does any birth control CAUSE acne?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 LadyMacbeth998

LadyMacbeth998

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 April 2006 - 01:53 PM

Well I already know that Seasonale causes acne.....at least that's what happened to me. Seasonale is what ruined my skin in the first place. My friend also broke out horribly from Orthotrycline. However, my gyno wants me to switch me from Yasmin to Ortho, and I'm kind of apprehensive, b/c I know Yasmin helps my skin stay clear. Does anyone have any experiences to share?

#2 skeptik

skeptik

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2006 - 03:40 AM

Stay on Yasmin!! Ortho-tricyclin broke me out for a year. Yasmin has a progesterone which acts as an anti-androgen (androgens cause acne), but Ortho has a progesterone in it which acts like an androgen aggravating acne.
Why does your doc want you off Yasmin?

#3 Carys

Carys

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2006 - 07:44 AM

Uh, I'd stay on the Yasmin, if it were me. I was on Ortho-Tri-Cyclen and it did ZERO for acne, aside from make it more regular. Eventually, I went on 'tane, and after my course ended my doc switched me from OTC to Yasmin (along w/Tazorac cream for maintenance). LOVING IT, so far! W/the Yasmin, I've lost the remaining weight I had on me when I was on OTC, plus my sex drive is back.

It's different for everyone, but if I were you, I'd try to stay on Yasmin.

#4 springmore

springmore

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2006 - 08:12 AM

I completely agree: stay on Yasmin if at all possible. I was on OTC for a few months and I began breaking out worse and worse every month that went by. I recently switched to Yasmin, and I couldn't be happier with it.

If you've found a BCP that works with your body's chemistry, don't change!!!

#5 Lucinda

Lucinda

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 12
About Me

Posted 25 April 2006 - 03:48 AM

Acne in most people is triggered by their hormones. The way the Pill helps acne is that is balances out any hormonal inbalances in the body by adding extra hormones. It is common sense to expect a slight break out at first while your body is adjusting to being given a whole lot of extra hormones to deal with. It also takes quite a while for your body to stabalize, and any Doctor will tell you to use an entire pack (one month) before you can determine whether or not it works for you.

Extra hormones didn't work for me. But it has for many of my friends.

#6 shout4

shout4

I love Forrest Griffin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 April 2006 - 05:08 AM

A side effect of Depo Provera is acne. When I found that out (after I started getting the shots) I started taking every precaution to make sure it didn't get bad, and so far so good. I still have it under control.

#7 beentheredonethat

beentheredonethat

Ribbit!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 April 2006 - 07:09 AM

It is the varying progesterone component in BC pills which are responsible for their androgenic side effects. Some pills have a progesterone that actually stimulates androgens, some have a progesterone that blocks androgens. If Yasmin isn't giving you undesireable side effects, stick with that one. It's progesterone is an anti-androgen (it's a chemical analogue of spironolactone) with a potassium-sparing diuretic effect that means you shouldn't experience any water weight gain while on it, and it has some studies indicating that it doesn't kill the libido like other BC pills do.

Some people can't tolerate Yasmin, and they should consider something like OrthoTriCyclin or Estrostep. I have a pet theory that some women respond best to monophasics like Yasmin, while others respond best to multiphasics like OrthoTriCylcin.

#8 LadyMacbeth998

LadyMacbeth998

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 April 2006 - 10:28 AM

My gyno wants me to swtich b/c I've been getting break through bleeding when I take active pills to skip my period. I have been on Yasmin for a long time, and it has never happened before--just the last two times I skipped my period. SHe thinks it may not be 'strong enough' for me anymore.

#9 beentheredonethat

beentheredonethat

Ribbit!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 April 2006 - 11:02 AM

Have you just started the period skipping thing? Spotting/breakthrough bleeding is very common when you first start doing that.

#10 Mrs Jenkins

Mrs Jenkins

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 April 2006 - 03:20 PM

QUOTE(skeptik @ Apr 21 2006, 04:40 AM) View Post

Stay on Yasmin!! Ortho-tricyclin broke me out for a year. Yasmin has a progesterone which acts as an anti-androgen (androgens cause acne), but Ortho has a progesterone in it which acts like an androgen aggravating acne.
Why does your doc want you off Yasmin?

Weird, I had the EXACT opposite experience. Ortho tri cylclen made me smooth like a baby while Yasmin broke me out bad. The progestin in Yasmin did act like an androgen in my system. I believe this is because I already have high levels of progesterone and relatively less estrogen, but this is only my educated guess. Yasmin also gave me morning sickness like I was pregnant, some kind of weird asthma like reaction and I continued to bleed THE entire time I was on it.

The reason I discontinued ortho tri cyclen is because my breasts grew huge and I kept gaining weight. However, my skin was amazing. I was hoping Yasmin would prevent weight gain and improve my skin, but no such luck. Now I'm on no birth control because of the crazy side effects I experienced in the past.

#11 LionQueen

LionQueen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 26 April 2006 - 04:41 PM

I used to have a Norplant implant ... are they even making those anymore? Anyway, it contained levonorgestrel. (I hope I am spelling that right.)

It gave me absolutely horrendous acne ... sad.gif

Now I have a hormone-free copper IUD and life is good.

#12 LadyMacbeth998

LadyMacbeth998

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 April 2006 - 06:38 PM

Nope, I've been skipping my period for 7 years. I don't know why the hell it happened. My gyno told me " I don't know"

Some doctor, huh? I guess all bc works different for everyone. I would rather have break through bleeding then go on a new pill that would break me out, I guess

#13 Jean Gray

Jean Gray

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 July 2011 - 05:16 PM

let me tell you... Ortho-tricyclen was the worst thinkg that ever happen to my face EVER! Bar none. I could moisturize my face in vaseline twice daily and would never break out as bad as I had while taking this birth control. They say that it used to treat acne?!!! Blashpemy. After 3 days of taking it I began routinely crying when I looked in the mirror, I was so disgusted with my face. Every morning I would wake up with a few new cysts on my face. they were HUGE and SOOO RED. I was told that If I just let my body get used to it, the acne would subside and I would have the clearest skin Ive ever had. NO! I took this for four months and it did horrible damage/scarring to my skin. I stopped taking Ortho-Tricylen and started taking lo-estrin 24fe. My acne has cleared and I know treat my face with mederma gel and Olay Regenereist Nightime Repair twice daily. My skin is slowly but surely starting to look better but will never be the same sad.gif

#14 Jennaaaay

Jennaaaay

I've finally learned not to go crazy when I breakout

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 July 2011 - 06:13 PM

I've heard Yasmin is badd, baaad, baaaaaaaaad.

#15 Guest_davidtheskinking_*

Guest_davidtheskinking_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 18

Posted 27 July 2011 - 08:07 PM

Any medication/drug that messes with hormone levels should be avoided at all costs if you are trying to get rid of your acne.

Many of them mess with the hormone & bacteria levels... You don't want to aggravate or mess with either of these!

This is one of the important things I have learned so far.

#16 Jennaaaay

Jennaaaay

I've finally learned not to go crazy when I breakout

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 July 2011 - 08:45 PM

let me tell you... Ortho-tricyclen was the worst thinkg that ever happen to my face EVER! Bar none. I could moisturize my face in vaseline twice daily and would never break out as bad as I had while taking this birth control. They say that it used to treat acne?!!! Blashpemy. After 3 days of taking it I began routinely crying when I looked in the mirror, I was so disgusted with my face. Every morning I would wake up with a few new cysts on my face. they were HUGE and SOOO RED. I was told that If I just let my body get used to it, the acne would subside and I would have the clearest skin Ive ever had. NO! I took this for four months and it did horrible damage/scarring to my skin. I stopped taking Ortho-Tricylen and started taking lo-estrin 24fe. My acne has cleared and I know treat my face with mederma gel and Olay Regenereist Nightime Repair twice daily. My skin is slowly but surely starting to look better but will never be the same sad.gif

This kinda scared me a lil'. I start taking Ortho in a a little over a week...:\ But I know that everyone can react differently to BC. Was Ortho your first BC?

Any medication/drug that messes with hormone levels should be avoided at all costs if you are trying to get rid of your acne.

Many of them mess with the hormone & bacteria levels... You don't want to aggravate or mess with either of these!

If I didn't have bad cramps, I wouldn't be on BC. Loseasonique FREAKED out my skin. I even broke out on my legs....Unless it was somethin' else. :\

Edited by Jennaaaay, 27 July 2011 - 08:49 PM.

#17 Sima

Sima

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 July 2011 - 11:20 PM

QUOTE (davidtheskinking @ Jul 27 2011, 08:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm, I'm not so sure about this in regards to birth control? My BC is helping keep my hormones in check, actually. It's not messing with them. I guess it all depends on how much testosterone you produce as a female and whether or not BC is right for you. In my case, it has helped tremendously since my genetics and ethnicity are the cause of my unbalanced hormones.

Edited by Sima, 27 July 2011 - 11:20 PM.

#18 melissa6980

melissa6980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:35 AM

Yes, it can. I think seasonique is not a good one for acne. I've been on both OrthoTriCyclen and Yasmin. I think the yasmin is probably a better choice for acne because of the progestin with the anti-androgen component. Honestly, the OrthoTriCyclen helps some people with their acne. I was on OTC for about 6 years. There were times especially at first where it may have helped some with acne and there were other times when I was frustrated. I stayed on it so long because I needed birth control at that time anyway. I don't think OTC necessarily caused acne for me and it might have helped some, I just think yasmin would be a little more helpful for acne, especially since it's what your body is used to. I had breakthrough bleeding with yasmin too, I wasn't skipping my period though, it happened for me during active pills, but it never concerned me. I only went off because I got cheap and didn't need birth control.

#19 sensitive skin

sensitive skin

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:12 PM

QUOTE (Jennaaaay @ Jul 27 2011, 07:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've heard Yasmin is badd, baaad, baaaaaaaaad.

I take Yasmin, and it actually helps tremendously with my acne. It has an estrogen and an anti-androgen, which should be fairly effective at keeping hormonal breakouts at bay. smile.gif As for your question earlier, I took Ortho for awhile many years ago, but it made me nauseous so I had to quit. I wasn't on it long enough to know if it was effective for my acne or not. But, I do have to say, I always get a bad initial breakout on birth control; usually after month three, I will be clear, though.

#20 CarrieLee

CarrieLee

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:38 AM

I have NEVER had acne until now. I have the Mirena IUD. I'm getting it yanked out next week cause this is just stupid ridiculous.