Photo

Accutane for mild acne

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 Roxy@22

Roxy@22

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 19 April 2006 - 11:17 AM

Hi everyone,

My dermatologist recently perscribed accutane for my mild acne. I usually have about four - five inflammed spots on my face at all times. Although my acne is considered mild, its very persistant and has not responsed well to standard treatments. I have tried: retin-a, benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, antibiotics, birth control, vitamins, changing my diet etc. I really think that accutane is good choice for me. I was hoping to receive some feedback from other people out there who had mild - moderate acne and went on accutane. Did you have a initial breakout? I'm just wondering what to expect. Thanks!

#2 salparade

salparade

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2006 - 01:21 AM

I also encourage someone to respond to this posting. I've been considering taking such a step to treat my mild/moderate, yet consistent acne.

#3 jasota

jasota

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2006 - 02:52 AM

hey i had mild acne too but it was basically whiteheads and maybe 1 or 2 red ones during my period.....my skin did respond to the retina a,bp,etc...but the whiteheads just kept comming back....im on tane now.....i barely had an initial break out..it consisted of just 3 or 4 pus filled zits on my jaw line...
i hope this helps....good luck!!

#4 candy84

candy84

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 April 2006 - 03:41 PM

Hi!

I would also really like to know if anyone with mild acne has used accutane and how it worked?

I'd like to try it, but I'm not sure if it's worth it for moderate acne?
I'm really paranoid about the side effects, especially depression.

#5 Jrodthepolock

Jrodthepolock

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 April 2006 - 03:44 PM

I have been think of accutane also for my mild acne, but I was told the first week on it I would break out real bad ( I would die if that happens) ...

#6 candy84

candy84

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 April 2006 - 09:06 PM

QUOTE(Jrodthepolock @ Apr 24 2006, 04:44 PM) View Post

I have been think of accutane also for my mild acne, but I was told the first week on it I would break out real bad ( I would die if that happens) ...

Czesc Jrodthepolock!

Yes that seems to be the case...but the final effect might be worth the try: one week of bad acne, and in turn months or even years without it-I think it's worth it.

Good luck,

pozdrowienia,

Claudia

P.S. Where are you from?

#7 Jrodthepolock

Jrodthepolock

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 April 2006 - 05:54 AM

P.S. Where are you from?

west palm beach

#8 Carys

Carys

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 April 2006 - 09:14 AM

I had moderate acne and did a course of 'tane from Sep 05 to Feb 06. My acne was only really located on the sides of my chin, w/the occasional jawline sucker, but the lesions were HUGE and stuck around for weeks at a time. I was also SUPER oily.

ANyway, my 'tane course was pretty routine, although I had a scare w/heart palpitations. I was eating too much vitamin A on top of the 'tane, and once I figured that out, I was fine. I also had the dry skin, lips, eyes, hair, eczema, occasional gum swelling, lowered immune system, weird aches and pains from time to time, lessened night vision, etc. All in all, it went fine, and my cholesterol/tryglycerides were totally normal the entire time. I didn't completely stop drinking alcohol, but I only maybe had one or two drinks on the weekends. I also drank TONS and TONS of water!!

As far as the acne was concerned, I did have a smallish IB, but I think because I was on Retin-A Micro right up to the start of my course it helped to make it much smaller. Everything was already pushed up to the surface from that, so there wasn't a lot hiding out underneath, you know? About one and a half months into treatment, the IB was over, I was totally oil-free and enjoyed pretty clear skin the rest of the six months. I still got tiny zits here and there, so I was worried that the course didn't do the job, but I'm almost three months past the end of my course, and my face is actually better than it was during 'tane.

I'm also on Tazorac cream .1% and Yasmin BCP for maintenance. So far, so good.

My dosages were as follows: 40 mg/day first two months, 60 mg/day second three months, 80 mg/day last month. I weighed approx 50 kg during treatment.

#9 shout4

shout4

I love Forrest Griffin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 April 2006 - 09:37 AM

I had mild but persistant acne when I went on accutane. I never had an initial breakout. My skin only got better. And its still pretty clear now (I went on it 2 years ago). The only side effects I had were back pain and really really chapped lips (so bad that it hurt to talk). I'm glad I did it.

#10 candy84

candy84

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 April 2006 - 07:21 PM

QUOTE(Carys @ Apr 25 2006, 10:14 AM) View Post

I had moderate acne and did a course of 'tane from Sep 05 to Feb 06.

QUOTE(shout4 @ Apr 25 2006, 10:37 AM) View Post

I had mild but persistant acne when I went on accutane.

I was just wondering, can you guys tell me what strength of Accutane did you have? I heard people with mild acne usually get 10mg, but then someone told me it's not really worth taking it if your dosage is so low.

#11 Carys

Carys

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 April 2006 - 07:35 PM

QUOTE(candy84 @ Apr 26 2006, 07:21 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Carys @ Apr 25 2006, 10:14 AM) View Post

I had moderate acne and did a course of 'tane from Sep 05 to Feb 06.

QUOTE(shout4 @ Apr 25 2006, 10:37 AM) View Post

I had mild but persistant acne when I went on accutane.

I was just wondering, can you guys tell me what strength of Accutane did you have? I heard people with mild acne usually get 10mg, but then someone told me it's not really worth taking it if your dosage is so low.

My dosages were as follows: 40 mg/day first two months, 60 mg/day second three months, 80 mg/day last month. I weighed approx 50 kg during treatment. Usually, the higher the dosage for the longest amount of time gets the best results. However, the side effects will probably be more severe.

#12 Mandy Ann

Mandy Ann

Dick Laurent is Dead....

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 67
About Me

Posted 26 April 2006 - 07:38 PM

hmm I wonder if you would get a bad IB if you go on accutane and stop doing the regimen. =\
I really want accutane but im terrified of the initial breakout lol

#13 candy84

candy84

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 April 2006 - 06:34 PM

QUOTE(Carys @ Apr 26 2006, 08:35 PM) View Post

My dosages were as follows: 40 mg/day first two months, 60 mg/day second three months, 80 mg/day last month.

Thanks for the info! wink.gif

#14 oratane

oratane

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 April 2006 - 12:11 AM

QUOTE(Roxy@22 @ Apr 19 2006, 11:17 AM) View Post

Hi everyone,

My dermatologist recently perscribed accutane for my mild acne. I usually have about four - five inflammed spots on my face at all times. Although my acne is considered mild, its very persistant and has not responsed well to standard treatments. I have tried: retin-a, benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, antibiotics, birth control, vitamins, changing my diet etc. I really think that accutane is good choice for me. I was hoping to receive some feedback from other people out there who had mild - moderate acne and went on accutane. Did you have a initial breakout? I'm just wondering what to expect. Thanks!

I have persistent mild-moderate acne that's mostly comedonal. It starts out that way, then after a few months I start getting a few inflamed ones, then the red painful bumps under the skin. That's basically what happens if I don't nerf the acne from the start.

I've been on antibiotics and birth control. Tried using topical but unfortunately I have very sensitive skin as well as eczema, so I can't use Retin A or even OTC Bp gels.

My derm finally put me on accutane and I've never looked back. After about a year and a half off accutane the acne usually starts to come back slowly. I've recently just started my 3rd course. I weigh about 95 lbs and she puts me on 20 mg/day for the first 2 weeks then 40 mg/day for the next 5.5 months. I have blood work done regularly and everything checks out fine. I'd have to say I don't really get side effects other than chellitis. No break outs either. My comedones just seem to purge right out and when I rub my face all the whiteheads just come right off and any inflamed zits just seem to go away without leaving any dark spots or scars.

After about 2 weeks on 20 mg a day my face is usually 80% cleared up and at the end of a month and a half it becomes completely flawless. The first time I tried accutane I remember being so amazed at how much it cleared my skin up. I took pictures and my skin even looked good when I took closeups without make up biggrin.gif

#15 candy84

candy84

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 April 2006 - 03:32 PM

QUOTE(oratane @ Apr 29 2006, 01:11 AM) View Post

I'd have to say I don't really get side effects other than chellitis. No break outs either.

wOw! Your story is really interesting. Congratualtions on your success! eusa_clap.gif

One question, what really caught my attention is when you said you had no initial breakout after accutane; is that true for your third treatment, or did you not have one during your first and second as well?

Thanks!

#16 oratane

oratane

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 April 2006 - 03:33 AM

QUOTE(candy84 @ Apr 29 2006, 03:32 PM) View Post

wOw! Your story is really interesting. Congratualtions on your success! eusa_clap.gif

One question, what really caught my attention is when you said you had no initial breakout after accutane; is that true for your third treatment, or did you not have one during your first and second as well?

Thanks!

Thanks! smile.gif

Well firstly you have to remember I said that my acne does get progressively worse if left untreated for a period of time. The initial stage is widespread close comedo, all tiny and white. You can't see anything from far, but upclose it's like a million tiny bumps under the skin which is very very unsightly. It looks like every single pore on my face is clogged. I only went on antibiotics when it reached the inflammatory - white pus stage with red skin, or when I started to get painful blind spots on my face.

The antibiotics helped alot with the inflammatory bits, but it still left me with the problem of wide spread whiteheads. I took them for 4 years until I simply got fed up. Birth control was utterly useless in my case.

On my first treatment my face was bad - it had reached the blind spot stage. When I first took accutane I suppose I have to tell you very honestly that because my face was already so red and I had various whiteheads, pustules and papules that even if there WAS an initial breakout, I would never have noticed.

On my second treatment my face had reached what my derm called "Stage 2 acne" which was comedo + a few tiny pustules here and there. Not as bad as the first time though. No breakout either. Just a clearing of the pustules and the whiteheads dried right up so I could lightly scrape them out when I moved my fingernail gently over my face.

Am currently on my third treatment and my face is still "stage 1" i.e. just the problem of widespread whiteheads on my face. But being as experienced as I am (having dealt with acne for over 10 years), I rushed staight back to my derm and we discussed our options again. She's been treating me for the past 5 years so she knows that I can't put anything topical on my face. After two attempts at topicals we finally gave up because she kept having to prescribe steroid cream for the itchy eczema that would appear after 1 week of applying BP or Retin A or differin!

Four years of taking tetracyclines had just about turned my teeth different hues of whitish/grey, not to mention it does nothing for whiteheads! After 2 weeks on 20 mg/day of accutane I can honestly tell you that with my current condition, I really can't see any "initial breakout" at all. Whatever is already on my face is just getting better and better.

Because my skin is so sensitive I moisturize after every shower, so I can't notice any difference on whether my skin has gotten dryer or not. I can still wear my contact lenses and other than my lips being dry, I can't complain of any other side effects.

Accutane has been a wonder drug for me, it moved past "managing" acne to just giving me flawless skin. Which is why even though I have to go on my third course I'm not complaining! wink.gif