Photo

If I dye my hair, will my acne be less noticeable?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 facetia

facetia

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 April 2006 - 04:11 PM

So, I get inflamed pimples. Bright red. And I have very fair, pale skin, which doesn't help, but I can't really do much about that. But the thing I can change: my hair color. It's red, and I just realized that it might be bringing out my acne--just like, if you wear a shirt that's the same color as your eyes, your eye color is more noticeable (I have bright green eyes, and when I wear green, people comment that my eyes look even greener).

So...I was thinking about dyeing my hair to, perhaps, make the red on my skin less noticeable. Since I have such pale skin, I'd look pretty washed out as a blonde, but I could see myself wearing some kind of dark brown color.

What do you all think...good idea? Could a darker, non-red color make my acne less noticeable?

#2 miss_d

miss_d

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 April 2006 - 04:22 PM

its possible that it might work.
Before you do that sort of dramatic action, perhaps take a picture of yourself and I think theres a few websites out there where you can upload it and try different hair styles on the photo. I recall the Maybelline website has that. You can get to see what the different colours look like before you do anything that might actually not work out right.
I hope that helps.

#3 facetia

facetia

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 April 2006 - 04:28 PM

QUOTE(miss_d @ Apr 10 2006, 05:22 PM) View Post

its possible that it might work.
Before you do that sort of dramatic action, perhaps take a picture of yourself and I think theres a few websites out there where you can upload it and try different hair styles on the photo. I recall the Maybelline website has that. You can get to see what the different colours look like before you do anything that might actually not work out right.
I hope that helps.

Thanks! That's actually really helpful! I'm going to look for that right now smile.gif

#4 Little Miss

Little Miss

I think therefore I am

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 April 2006 - 04:46 AM

I dyed my hair dark brown, and it made my skin look even paler and then the spots stood out even more! Be careful, make sure you're sure before you do it. Maybe you should try a wash in wash out one first so if it doesn't look right, you can change it back.

#5 miss_d

miss_d

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 April 2006 - 04:52 AM

QUOTE(Vikster @ Apr 11 2006, 02:46 AM) View Post

I dyed my hair dark brown, and it made my skin look even paler and then the spots stood out even more! Be careful, make sure you're sure before you do it. Maybe you should try a wash in wash out one first so if it doesn't look right, you can change it back.

I'm really pale too with blonde hair so I dont think dyeing my hair is a solution - I wish i had darker skin!! At least for me, leaving my face alone would help to minimise the redness. Pity make-up just makes big bumps look worse and its hard to find make up thats nearly white for bad skin.

I hope that website is of some use. There are others out there but I cant remember where off the top of my head.

#6 Guest_Fraser_*

Guest_Fraser_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 11 April 2006 - 04:59 AM

Spots are noticeable whatever hair colour u have. A tan is the only thing that can disguise them. Roll on summer!

#7 Little Miss

Little Miss

I think therefore I am

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 April 2006 - 05:51 AM

QUOTE(miss_d @ Apr 11 2006, 11:52 AM) View Post

I'm really pale too with blonde hair so I dont think dyeing my hair is a solution - I wish i had darker skin!! At least for me, leaving my face alone would help to minimise the redness. Pity make-up just makes big bumps look worse and its hard to find make up thats nearly white for bad skin.

I hope that website is of some use. There are others out there but I cant remember where off the top of my head.

I know what you mean about make up making the bumps look worse on pale skin. I have a terrible time trying to find a concealer that doesn't look orange! I have given up wearing make up now cos the amount of blending I have to do just aggtivates the acne even more and makes things worse!!!

#8 notoriousjad

notoriousjad

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 April 2006 - 09:41 AM

QUOTE(Vikster @ Apr 11 2006, 07:51 AM) View Post

QUOTE(miss_d @ Apr 11 2006, 11:52 AM) View Post

I know what you mean about make up making the bumps look worse on pale skin. I have a terrible time trying to find a concealer that doesn't look orange! I have given up wearing make up now cos the amount of blending I have to do just aggtivates the acne even more and makes things worse!!!

I think Red hair is beautiful! I love dying my brown hair though, darker in winter and lighter in summer. One of the reasons I like hair dye is that it gives my oily hair some more body. I have some red hair dye at home. I am clearing up well on this Regimen. Once I get a little better, I am going to celebrate by putting on my red color for summer. I am hoping to have clear pale skin (not red). I can't remember not having red skin. I finally stopped squeezing it and using harsh cleansers once I started reading online about my skin type.

#9 facetia

facetia

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 April 2006 - 09:46 AM

Yeah, I usually love red hair, too! But it doesn't look so good with a red face (I look sunburned from Retin-A..in addition to the initial breakout. Argh!!).

Hair dye is fun. I wish I could add some wild highlights, but I'm supposed to have only natural colors for my "professional" job. Kinda annoying. I definitely don't need the extra body of the hair dye, though...my hair is, like, uber-thick. My hair stylist said I have some of the thickest locks she's ever seen. tongue.gif I kinda like it that way, though...as long as I keep away from the frizz!

#10 miss_d

miss_d

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 April 2006 - 10:59 AM

QUOTE(facetia @ Apr 12 2006, 07:46 AM) View Post

Yeah, I usually love red hair, too! But it doesn't look so good with a red face (I look sunburned from Retin-A..in addition to the initial breakout. Argh!!).

Hair dye is fun. I wish I could add some wild highlights, but I'm supposed to have only natural colors for my "professional" job. Kinda annoying. I definitely don't need the extra body of the hair dye, though...my hair is, like, uber-thick. My hair stylist said I have some of the thickest locks she's ever seen. tongue.gif I kinda like it that way, though...as long as I keep away from the frizz!

oh your so lucky!!
I have thin light blonde hair that goes dark with grease and sticks in a lump if its not washed. I found that perming my hair helped the grease situation a lot but im not sure curly hair works on me!
Pity about the highlights. I had black, bleached white and pink highlights at uni which was handy as that helped to keep down the grease too smile.gif Surely though a nice tasteful set of highlight using bleaches that make it subtle wont look out of place?
I found that having crazy hair and eye make up meant that no one seemed to care about my skin but the downside is looking like that isnt good for career building rolleyes.gif

#11 facetia

facetia

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 April 2006 - 11:21 AM

Yeah, I love my hair!! Though I do have times where I wish I could be blonde for a day...my old roommate has really long, lovely light blonde hair and it was so pretty!

I'm afraid to dye my hair blonde, even with temporary color, because it's naturally dark and I'm sure I would miss lots of spots. I'd have polka-dotted hair, haha!

Also, before you envy me too much, note that long, super-thick hair like mine takes FOREVER to wash!! I always run out of hot water in the shower. wink.gif

#12 Carys

Carys

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 April 2006 - 01:14 PM

I've always thought redheads with some honey blonde higlights looked awesome! A friend of mine did that to her hair, and it was absolutely gorgeous. (Not platinum highlights, mind you.) She had some major acne, too, but I find that the more put together and neat you can make yourself look, the better. I remember thinking that she always looked nice, even though she always had spots.

#13 posterchild

posterchild

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 April 2006 - 06:42 PM

I had black hair. I remembered reading that black hair makes any flaws more noticeable so I went with lighter hair. I don't know if it worked or not, but it's nice to have different color hair anyway. Think about something other than your face for a change.

#14 LadyMacbeth998

LadyMacbeth998

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 April 2006 - 01:56 PM

I'm naturally blonde, and I went for a dark color. I notice it does bring out my red marks more b/c I'm real pale. I'm going back to blonde next month.

#15 Mark D.

Mark D.

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 April 2006 - 01:36 PM

No offense, but it's like painting your
car so you won't notice the flat tires.