Photo

Tanning Beds

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 Laurentx

Laurentx

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 07 April 2006 - 01:59 PM

Well.. from past expirence I know that tanning beds do in fact get rid of acne... I used to have really bad, painful acne on my back, when I started going to tanning salons, it cleared up. Also, my face is getting alot better since I started tanning again.

But, Is it bad to use SA before tanning?
I wasn't sure, so I have made sure to NOT use it before tanning, I apply it after.

I looked on the back of the product and it didnt mention anything about exposure to UVA or UVB...so I don't know..

Can anyone help?

#2 SuperCelebs

SuperCelebs

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 April 2006 - 03:25 PM

http://www.pinkfridg...bed-dangers.htm

#3 SuperCelebs

SuperCelebs

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2006 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE(FieryLove @ Apr 9 2006, 10:53 AM) View Post

QUOTE(Kaelynd @ Apr 7 2006, 04:12 PM) View Post
Tanning is like a temporary bandaid for acne.
It will come back worse once you stop tanning.

Actually i find that very untrue .. i tan only on the summer and my face is perfect .. and it never comes back worse .. during the winter is when i get a little bit og acne but it always gets vetter with each passing year and i believe the sun plays a great role in that. i dont recommend tanning everydya of the year juss ti have perfect skin bc maybe u will have clear skin but down the road you will hate urself for all the wrinkles.

if you think the suns going to have a good long term effect on your skin.. your sadly mistaking.

#4 Yesac

Yesac

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2006 - 07:28 PM

I think it can be said that some people need the sun to have healthy skin. Not everyones the same, I myself have nicer looking skin after spending a day in the sun. Is it good for you long term? No. You can get things such as skin cancer. Is it a temporary fix? Sure, but so is putting products on your face.

#5 martin06

martin06

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2006 - 07:44 PM

Tanning makes you feel good on the inside and look good on the outside. Who has the right to say whether it's right or wrong? if you enjoy it and are aware of potential side-effects, then live your life how you want to, not how someone else thinks you should.

#6 kingziggy

kingziggy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2006 - 08:50 PM

QUOTE(martin06 @ Apr 9 2006, 06:44 PM) View Post

Tanning makes you feel good on the inside and look good on the outside. Who has the right to say whether it's right or wrong? if you enjoy it and are aware of potential side-effects, then live your life how you want to, not how someone else thinks you should.

skin cancer will make you feel REAL good in the inside and look real pretty on the outside!

#7 sehnsucht 67

sehnsucht 67

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2006 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE(martin06 @ Apr 9 2006, 08:44 PM) View Post

eusa_clap.gif

#8 thekid

thekid

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 April 2006 - 01:02 AM

The Sun is really good for your skin, but really bad at the same time. Your skin actually needs sun and it get's vitamin E from it. Just use a small sunblock. The Pure vitamin A my derm gave me has a built in sun-block in it. It's like a topical version of accutane, i love it.

#9 *Rebecca*

*Rebecca*

Satur9, How I'd love to make you mine..

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 19
About Me

Posted 10 April 2006 - 08:15 AM

QUOTE(martin06 @ Apr 9 2006, 09:44 PM) View Post

i agree with you a 100% .. now there is no gurantee you will get sun cancer .. its like that with everything .. smoking there is no guarantee you will get lung cancer .. you cna get cancer from anything and i mena anything! so why dont you ppl stfu we now the risks .. juss like everything else .. your whole LIFE IS ONE BIG RISK ..life is all about taking chances you live your life how you want to .. and if taning makes you happy than do it and maybe it will affect you in the long run maybe not .. in my case my skin ahdnles the sun very well and so far no1 in my family has had problems with cancer.

QUOTE(thekid @ Apr 10 2006, 03:02 AM) View Post
The Sun is really good for your skin, but really bad at the same time. Your skin actually needs sun and it get's vitamin E from it. Just use a small sunblock. The Pure vitamin A my derm gave me has a built in sun-block in it. It's like a topical version of accutane, i love it.

what si the name of that pure Vit A stuff? i agree ive read many things about the affects from the sun.. but you actually need it .. its good for your skin

#10 sterrance

sterrance

Chuck Norris is my hero.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 35
About Me

Posted 10 April 2006 - 12:20 PM

you just have to be really aware of how sensitive your skin can get. I love tanning because it makes me feel so much better, but with my current regimen it's too harsh, so I had to choose clear skin over tan skin.

#11 TennesseeGrl

TennesseeGrl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 101
About Me

Posted 11 April 2006 - 01:32 AM

MYSTIC TAN... is my friend. smile.gif

I am too pale to tan properly, and I am on accutane. Cheap, easy, quick, and no skin cancer. And I am tan. Yay!

#12 animegirle

animegirle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 April 2006 - 07:04 AM

I used to go to the beds when I was in high school and had zero problems with breakouts. Now, for some strange reason, I break out like mad if my skin is unprotected in the regular sun (If I have on sunscreen I have no problems) or a tanning bed. My skin changed after having so many surgeries...go figure. doubt.gif

#13 Bry

Bry

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 April 2006 - 08:42 PM

I disagree with the person who said acne comes back worse after you stop tanning. Sure it comes back, but no worse than it was before I started tanning. With that said, I look so much better with a tan and I usually don't get too many active spots. It seems the same way for most people who tan also.

If you are worried about skin cancer, consider sunless tanning. There are many products out there that will not block your pores, and will provide a very natural looking tan!

sunless.com is a good site for more info

#14 Myrl

Myrl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 April 2006 - 06:14 PM

In response to tanning beds, the sun damages your skin permanently whenever you tan, a tanning bed is the same as going out in the sun. but you don't notice the damage until years later. What i have seen are people who have had skin lesions have to be removed, I've known people who have died, and have seen some really ugly wrinkled skin from people who were out in the sun a lot. I have also heard that teenagers are now getting skin cancer due to tanning beds. I wore a lot of makeup when I was a teenager and I think it protected my skin from the sun. I'm very grateful since most people mistake me for years younger than I am. I consider myself vain and I don't want wrinkles, I still care about my appearance at 51. wonder

#15 perfectionista

perfectionista

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 29 May 2008 - 04:03 PM

I actually just bought like 2300 tanning points yesterday. Honestly, I know that tanning isn't good for me, I also know that smoking isn't good for me and I accept that I'm high risk for cancer. I love tanning very much, I just feel so much more confident when I have a tan, my acne goes down, and my back gets 100% clear. during the winter I tan like once a month just to deal with SAD (I live in Vancouver BC, we only have sun like 15% of the year... sue me...). Anyways I guess what I'm trying to say is that we all know and accept the risks of our guilty pleasures, hence why they are *guilty* pleasures.

To anyone who's posted replies making harsh judgments or even just being plain RUDE to the fake-n-bake folk here:

When was the last time you approached a chubby or even over weight person in a restaurant and told them how terrible and stupid they were for eating, after all, they're going to give themselves diabetes and eventually kill themselves right?

Really, it's the same thing.

#16 VJ20

VJ20

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 March 2010 - 11:22 PM

I think tanning dries out your skin preventing acne while using the beds, but once you stop, the oilyness comes back which could result in acne. If you dont wash right afterwards it could also cause clogged pores from the sweat build up, resulting in acne. It seemed to clog my pores from where I didnt have the oppurtunity to wash right after I got done tanning. The sweat stays on your skin for too long, and then has time to seep back into the pore causing it to become clogged.. then could cause a pimple. It depends on how good you take care of your skin while your using tanning beds.. Could be more elaborate, but i'm tired and going to bed. Goodnight

My first post ever on acne.org

#17 november rain

november rain

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:55 AM

I've been contemplating tanning for the past month and decided I really want to try it and see if it helps clear my skin. My skin is ALWAYS better in the summer. It's worth a try.

One question though, can you wear makeup? Like if I were to go about 3 hours after putting on makeup, would that be okay? There's no meds on my face, just moisturizer and foundation.

#18 .JacktheLad.

.JacktheLad.

sex drugs and sausage rolls

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 26 May 2010 - 02:59 AM

guys, can we still not tan if wearing an spf of 25 for example? you dont need to run the risk of going bare skinned do you?

im not agaisnt tanning etc, my best mate does it and he looks great! im just worried when i hear that after you stop getting the ray's you break out ninja.gif

#19 rachelAnn

rachelAnn

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:15 PM

QUOTE (Myrl @ Apr 22 2006, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In response to tanning beds, the sun damages your skin permanently whenever you tan, a tanning bed is the same as going out in the sun. but you don't notice the damage until years later. What i have seen are people who have had skin lesions have to be removed, I've known people who have died, and have seen some really ugly wrinkled skin from people who were out in the sun a lot. I have also heard that teenagers are now getting skin cancer due to tanning beds. I wore a lot of makeup when I was a teenager and I think it protected my skin from the sun. I'm very grateful since most people mistake me for years younger than I am. I consider myself vain and I don't want wrinkles, I still care about my appearance at 51. wonder

It's funny how ignorant some people are today. eusa_think.gif ESPECIALLY some adults! you would think that at 51 you would know that a tanning bed today it not at all "the same as going out in the sun"!!! eusa_naughty.gif There are two different types of UV rays, UVA and UVB (both emitted from the sun). As most people know, UVB rays are the harmful ones that can cause cancer, wrinkles, and other skin damage while UVA rays help your skin produce melanin which is the pigment in your skin that PROTECTS it from harsh exposure such as the sun. Many tanning beds today completely filter out all UVB rays, and those that do not still filter out a large percentage. Not only is your body exposed to less UVB in a tanning bed, but it is also exposed for a much shorter time. There is a legal time limit on every tanning bed! Also, many people become dehydrated or overheated from spending too much time outside in the sun, while tanning beds provide air conditioning, or at the very least a fan. Not to mention, there are associates at tanning salons to help assess how long each customer should spend in a bed. You don't see lifeguards telling us when to reapply sunscreen or cool off in the shade! All in all, indoor tanning today is VERY safe and much safer than the natural sun. To anyone wishing to try it i say GO FOR IT! just be smart and use a good quality sunscreen and protective eyewear cool2.gif and you will be wrinkle/spot/and cancer free! smile.gif

oh yeah, and it does WONDERS for acne by opening up pores! BE SURE TO SHOWER AFTERWARDS!!! (just as you would after any kind of sweating, from workouts, etc.)

sign_owned.gif

#20 TheoM

TheoM

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2011 - 04:09 PM

I'm currently using Tretenoin on my face and back and Duac on my face. Both product increase skin's overall sensitivity, and specifically warn against sun exposure. I use a facial moisturizer after applying these products, with an SPF of 30 against UVA and UVB.

Is this sufficient protection for use of a tanning bed? I am fully aware of the risks of tanning; my question is whether the tanning session will cause immediate irritation of my face, and whether using a stronger SPF on my face is going to make for an uneven tan based on my facial sensitivity given present circumstance.