Photo

Ways to reduce sebum?

vitamin k oily skin

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 snowbunny22nh

snowbunny22nh

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2006 - 08:15 AM

I have oily skin, and all of my pimples turn into whiteheads. My hair also gets greasy after 24 hours. I am aware that my body creates too much sebum, which results in me breaking out. My acne is not severe enough for accutane, so what are other ways I can make my body cut back on the sebum production? I heard taking vitamin K works, but is there anything else that will be more effective?

#2 blahblahblahblah1

blahblahblahblah1

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2006 - 08:23 AM

Accutane is a vitamin A derivative... so perhaps take some of that.
You probably have to take vast amounts to make any difference, and I'll bet that isn't safe or healthy.

doubt.gif

#3 ihaveacneonmywonka

ihaveacneonmywonka

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2006 - 08:43 AM

Get on the regimen biggrin.gif
Wash your hair everyday with specialized hair shampoo.
Morning:
Wash with Dove moistuser soap
Pat dry, wait 10-15 mins
Apply Brevoxyl 4% BP
Wait 15 mins
Apply Eucerin Dry Skin Relief Face Cream
Then Nivea Visage Oil Free Moisturising Fluid
1 capsules of 250mg tetracyclin.

Evening:
Wash with Dove moistuser soap
Pat dry, wait 10-15 mins
Apply Brevoxyl 4% BP
Wait 15 mins
Apply Eucerin Dry Skin Relief Face Cream
Then Nivea Visage Oil Free Moisturising Fluid
1 capsules of 250mg tetracyclin.

I shave and exfoliate every day.

P.S If you find that Jojoba oil causes you to break out in any shape or form, then stop using it immediatly, or face major breakouts.

#4 Brandy

Brandy

• Regimen Assistance
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:28 AM

the only medication known to affect the oil glands is Accutane, unfortunately.
Those of us with oily skin tend to utilize blotting sheets, napkins for blotting off the oil, and powder. There are also mattifying products out there, but I don't have any experience with those.
Topical acne medications such as bp tend to dry the skin which seems to help with the oilyness a bit, although it doesn't affect oil production directly.

We're all in this together.

#5 bryan

bryan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:37 AM

You might try washing your face with Nizoral shampoo, if it's not too harsh on your skin. Nizoral was found in that famous French study to reduce the size of sebaceous glands by about 20% or so. Probably has to do with the apparent antiandrogenic effect of ketoconazole, the active ingredient in Nizoral.

Bryan

#6 Charybdis

Charybdis

1987 - 2009 You will be dearly missed

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:43 AM

My skin used to be sooo oily, i could put my face on a dark piece of paper and i could actually see a big wet patch where my face ways.

There is a moisturiser out there, i'll find out the name for you.

*returns

Its called :

GARNIER SYNERGIE PURE - Sebum Control Moisturiser with clay + zinc.

I dunno where you live or if its available to you, im from England so you might be able to get it shipped if your overseas.
The Laws of Ryantology :

I hereby believe, and accept Ryantology as my faith, and shall live by the following laws laid before me:

1. I will do whatever makes me happiest in life, just don't take the piss.
2. I believe that 'There ain't no party like an S Club Party'

#7 LionQueen

LionQueen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 03 April 2006 - 10:09 PM

Diacneal and Green Cream users generally report that their skin becomes much less oily after 3-4 weeks (you have to keep using it or the oiliness comes back).
Retired from Acne.org

#8 Teaspoon

Teaspoon

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 April 2006 - 02:38 AM

B5 regimens have been shown to reduce oil production. Omega-3 fatty acids have been shown to have an effect on oil regulation. Also, cutting back on refined foods and sugars should help as well.

Accutane doesn't just reduce oil production, it shuts it down. This is not good when it comes to skin longevity, preventing wrinkles, healing and keeping toxins out. But it sure as hell 'cures' acne.

#9 bryan

bryan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 April 2006 - 03:31 AM

QUOTE(Teaspoon @ Apr 4 2006, 03:38 AM) View Post

B5 regimens have been shown to reduce oil production.

Uhhh....personally, I'd wait for more serious scientific evidence, before I could accept that claim at face value. Something a bit more compelling than an article published in Medical Hypotheses! wink.gif

Accutane doesn't just reduce oil production, it shuts it down.

No it doesn't. It reduces it by up to about 90% or so. It doesn't "shut it down" completely.

This is not good when it comes to skin longevity, preventing wrinkles, healing and keeping toxins out. But it sure as hell 'cures' acne.

I remind you that no less an authority than Kligman feels that there is no use for sebum at all. He regards the sebaceous glands as "living fossils" that lost their usefullness to mankind a long time ago.

Bryan

#10 song

song

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 April 2006 - 04:29 AM

b5 vitamins might work if u overdose (say 10g) ...but i dont believe it is safe...(even thought vilantae uses this fight acne adn oily skin)

#11 Madworld

Madworld

How the end always is.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 April 2006 - 06:51 AM

You might try washing your face with Nizoral shampoo, if it's not too harsh on your skin. Nizoral was found in that famous French study to reduce the size of sebaceous glands by about 20% or so. Probably has to do with the apparent antiandrogenic effect of ketoconazole, the active ingredient in Nizoral.

Bryan

Not a good thing to recommend, the formulation for the shampoo is specifically for the scalp and hair, and there will be too much comedones to do your skin any good.
Did the tane.
Breaking out quite badly again.
Doing nothing. Just letting nature take its course.

#12 bryan

bryan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 April 2006 - 07:37 AM

QUOTE(Nostalgesia @ Apr 4 2006, 07:51 AM) View Post

Not a good thing to recommend, the formulation for the shampoo is specifically for the scalp and hair, and there will be too much comedones to do your skin any good.

I think you take marketing claims for soaps and shampoos a little too seriously! wink.gif I strongly doubt that there's really any special significance to the "formulation" of a shampoo which zeroes-in on the scalp specifically. I personally have been washing my face for YEARS and YEARS with shampoo, every time I shower, with no ill effects whatsoever.

The only real concern I have about the use of Nizoral shampoo on the face, though, is that I have indeed heard reports from some users that the stuff is rather harsh. It may not be appropriate for the face, for that reason.

Bryan

#13 blondie9

blondie9

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 42
About Me

Posted 04 April 2006 - 08:06 AM

I have the same problem - very oily skin. My acne is not bad enough for accutane and the side effects terrify me so I did some research and found that a drug called Spironolactone also helps reduce sebum production. (Its also on this website under product/treatment ratings.) Excess oil is caused by either 1) too much testesterone or 2)sensitivity to testosterone (at normal levels) which results in excess sebum production. Spiro is actually a diuretic and is used to tread high blood pressure but has no effect on blood pressure if its normal. It's in the class of drugs know as anti-androgens and androgens (testestrone being one of them) regulate sebum production. This drug basically blocks the body's response to androgens.

Look it up and let me know what you think!

#14 Teaspoon

Teaspoon

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 April 2006 - 12:50 PM

QUOTE(bryan @ Apr 4 2006, 04:31 AM) View Post

QUOTE(Teaspoon @ Apr 4 2006, 03:38 AM) View Post

B5 regimens have been shown to reduce oil production.

Uhhh....personally, I'd wait for more serious scientific evidence, before I could accept that claim at face value. Something a bit more compelling than an article published in Medical Hypotheses! wink.gif

No it doesn't. It reduces it by up to about 90% or so. It doesn't "shut it down" completely.

I remind you that no less an authority than Kligman feels that there is no use for sebum at all. He regards the sebaceous glands as "living fossils" that lost their usefullness to mankind a long time ago.

Bryan

I did B5 for 2 months, it definitely reduced oil production. If you look at what it does(encourages synthesis of coenzyme-a which aids in the metabolization of fats) it makes perfect sense that it would do so. Excessive oil production is often a byproduct of your body having a hard time metabolizing fats, this is why refined foods, sugars trans fats and the likes can wreak havoc on your acne.

While you are perfectly right waiting for more tests on the subject, that is your prerogative, it has worked for me and many others on these boards, specifically at reducing oil production.

Accutane, I did not know it still left sebum glands functioning, I was under the impression it shut them down entirely, my mistake.

Not having the ability to moisturize your skin(natural oils) is not a good thing. People with healthy skin will have some oil on their skin and it goes a long way towards maintaining their skins health. A big part of the reason that topical treatments can be bogus for treating acne is that they over-dry which causes the skin to overcompensate and produce more oil to counteract the imbalance. Moisturized skin heals faster than dried skin(people on accutane heal slower than people not on accutane) Moisturized skin stays younger and oxidizes slower than dried skin...etc. Arguing by authority is a fallacy.

#15 buffryder

buffryder

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 April 2006 - 12:57 PM

Ok man if you want to help get rid of oilly skin do my regimen... Also take 1 gram of panothetic acid.. and here is an explanination and dosages of other vitamins

** Take vitamin A, 10,000 - 30,000 IU daily
Vitamin A reduces sebum production and keratin production (Caution: taking mega doses of Vitamin A can cause headaches, fatigue, muscle and joint pain and other side effects. Consult a qualified practitioner before taking mega supplements esp if ur pregnant)

** Take vitamin E, 400 IU daily
Vitamin E is an antioxidant that enhances healing and tissue repair. It prevents cell damage by inhibiting the oxidation of lipids (fats) and the formation of free radicals (Also aids absorption of Vitamin A)

** Take vitamin B6, 50-100 mg daily
Pyridoxine (Vitamin B6) aids in hormone metabolism. Involved in cellular reproduction. Deficiencies have been associated with acne.

** Take Selenium, 200-400 mcg
Selenium encourages tissue elasticity and is a powerful antioxidant.

** Take Chromium supplements, 150-200 mcg daily
Chromium helps boosts the body's ability to break down glucose. Chromium supplements have been shown by researchers to be effective in the treatment of acne. As a causal agent, high blood glucose levels have been linked to acne

** Take Zinc, 30-50 mg daily
Zinc aids in healing of the tissues and helps prevent scarring. It helps prevent acne by regulating the activity of the oil glands. Zinc promotes a healthy immune system and the healing of wounds. It is also an antioxidant which helps to fight and prevent the formation of free radicals. But for every 30mg zinc take 2mg copper. Zincs that have been found effective for acne sufferers: Zinc Gluconate (HealthAid) & Zinc Monomethionine (Opti-Zone)

Other supplements that might help as well:

* Vitamin C (with bioflavinoids) 3,000 - 5,000 mg daily, in divided doses. Promotes immune function and reduces inflammation. Use a buffered type.

* Vitamin D 400 IU daily. Promotes healing and tissue repair.

Morning/night
Klear action routine...
I dont use cleanser... I use an anti backterial soap....
Toner use cotton balls not cotton pads
Bp about dime size
walgreens AHA tiny amount about dime
Total time 5 mins max...

Night
same as above
except of walgreens aha i use olay bha...

Status-90% clear only 3 active zits and 5 redmarks

Recovering from out break from clinique products... Clear then went to 43 total zits in less then a week... :cry: it fucked my face a bit... Been doing klear action almost a week now and im almost complelty clear again.... then going back to old routine of oxy clean wash, and moisturize if needed... for night and eveneing....
I use a proactive mask and a scrub 2-3 times a week only...

#16 natuerwild

natuerwild

Human oil generator :(

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 April 2006 - 12:59 PM

Are you taking those pills daily?

I'm not so sure I want to try that.. too many vitamis might do more harm than good.

#17 bryan

bryan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 April 2006 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE(Teaspoon @ Apr 4 2006, 01:50 PM) View Post

I did B5 for 2 months, it definitely reduced oil production.

And you determined this...HOW, exactly? Was it just your overall, subjective impression after 2 months that your oil production was less? Would you be willing to do a far more scientific test of it, like with Sebutape test-strips?

Not having the ability to moisturize your skin(natural oils) is not a good thing. People with healthy skin will have some oil on their skin and it goes a long way towards maintaining their skins health. A big part of the reason that topical treatments can be bogus for treating acne is that they over-dry which causes the skin to overcompensate and produce more oil to counteract the imbalance.

Oh no, not again! smile.gif

Teaspoon, where were you a few months ago when we covered those issues in-depth by looking at the scientific evidence? Sebum doesn't moisturize the skin, epidermal lipids do. And sebaceous glands don't "overcompensate" for dryness by making more sebum. You're way behind the times.

Bryan

#18 Teaspoon

Teaspoon

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 April 2006 - 08:56 PM

QUOTE(bryan @ Apr 4 2006, 07:10 PM) View Post

And you determined this...HOW, exactly? Was it just your overall, subjective impression after 2 months that your oil production was less? Would you be willing to do a far more scientific test of it, like with Sebutape test-strips?

Certainly was subjective, you said it yourself, there hasn't been extensive scientific backing to the B5/acne link, yet, dozens if not hundreds of users have reported reduced oil production. Bearing in mind that a person with incredibly oily skin doesn't need any sebutape test-strips or the likes. . My skin became matte, it was never over-dry, and it was never oily. I have basically stopped the B5, and adopted a better diet in that time, this has kept my skin from being oily. Yet, for a week or so when I stopped the B5 my skin was oilier than it had been in months, coincidence? maybe, or maybe in the past 3 months I just so happened to balance my oil production completely naturally and none of these things mattered at all. Who knows.

Oh no, not again! smile.gif

Teaspoon, where were you a few months ago when we covered those issues in-depth by looking at the scientific evidence? Sebum doesn't moisturize the skin, epidermal lipids do. And sebaceous glands don't "overcompensate" for dryness by making more sebum. You're way behind the times.

Bryan

I apologize for being ignorant to the scientific evidence. I retract my statements. That said, whether or not it is actually the sebaceous glands or something else, my skin personally gets oily(oilier than normal) whenever I wash it too much or use drying chemicals on it. Or maybe it's all mental games, because, clearly having an unnatural level of oil can only be determined with sebutape test-strips. eusa_whistle.gif

#19 bryan

bryan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 April 2006 - 02:18 AM

QUOTE(Teaspoon @ Apr 4 2006, 09:56 PM) View Post

Certainly was subjective, you said it yourself, there hasn't been extensive scientific backing to the B5/acne link, yet, dozens if not hundreds of users have reported reduced oil production.

Plenty have also said it didn't do anything at all for them.

I apologize for being ignorant to the scientific evidence. I retract my statements. That said, whether or not it is actually the sebaceous glands or something else, my skin personally gets oily(oilier than normal) whenever I wash it too much or use drying chemicals on it.

Funny how a few people have made that claim to me, both privately and in these forums, but none of them have yet accepted my challenge to test it scientifically, like I did myself not too long ago. Odd, isn't it?

Or maybe it's all mental games, because, clearly having an unnatural level of oil can only be determined with sebutape test-strips. eusa_whistle.gif

In the previous threads in which this issue has been discussed and debated in great detail, I've mentioned a couple of confounding factors which can alter the perception of oil on the skin. And measuring the actual production rate of oil (as opposed to just the amount on the surface at any given moment) is an even trickier thing to measure accurately. I won't rehash all this again here in this thread, but I invite you to read and study what's already been posted about sebaceous gland physiology and the "feedback theory" in recent months. I think you'll be surprised at what you find out.

Bryan

#20 cprlfred

cprlfred

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 December 2009 - 08:07 AM

QUOTE (bryan @ Apr 4 2006, 07:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Nostalgesia @ Apr 4 2006, 07:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you take marketing claims for soaps and shampoos a little too seriously! wink.gif I strongly doubt that there's really any special significance to the "formulation" of a shampoo which zeroes-in on the scalp specifically. I personally have been washing my face for YEARS and YEARS with shampoo, every time I shower, with no ill effects whatsoever.

The only real concern I have about the use of Nizoral shampoo on the face, though, is that I have indeed heard reports from some users that the stuff is rather harsh. It may not be appropriate for the face, for that reason.

Bryan

Bryan,

I know i'm responding to an old post. you have said that you were washing your face with shampoo when you shower. Is this a specialized shampoo such as nizoral? is this on purpose or just because it gets on to your face as you are washing your hair?

If it is on purpose (rather, you are doing it to help with your skin) what product are you using and is it part of your actual regimen?

I ask because I am very curious, although very cautious, of trying out nizoral or something similar.

Also, do you now or did you ever suffer from oily skin?