Photo

I really need some help...my bf has smelly pores

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 mybfhasnastyacne

mybfhasnastyacne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 March 2006 - 07:50 PM

Ok so i have been with my bf for almost three years and he has always had the same problems with acne. first his nose has large pores and they are always filled with thick creamy white stuff, i can squeeze it and it will come back by the end of the day, and it is alot all over his whole nose and on the side of it too....also on his chin he has really big lack heads that are hard to pop and if they do pop they smell really bad and the stuff that comes out is hard and yellowish brown....now this all sounds digusting and dirty but he does wash his face everyday with normal face wash....what should we do its really gross......heeeeellllpppp!!!!!! confused.gif eusa_eh.gif

#2 D@n

D@n

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 March 2006 - 08:38 PM

First I would try Proactiv solution since it sound like a mild case. It worked for me.
Then try Minocycline and a topical from a dermatologist if you don't like proactiv.

Dan's Accutane Journal
Started Amnesteem 40mg/day on Monday, January 30, 2006
I'm done!!!

1st month 40 mg/day
2nd month 40 mg/day*
3rd month 40mg/day*
4th month 80mg/day*
5th month 80/mg/day**
6th month 80/mg/day**
*My derm gave me a 150mg/kg total cumulative dose.*
(*Taken with Omega 3 Fish Oil)
(**Taken with Vitamin E 400 I.U.)

#3 MinxyMech

MinxyMech

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 29 March 2006 - 02:50 AM

He's in some serious need for deep cleansing facials!
MinxyMech's Regimens

Pill Popping:
Accutane 50mg a day, started 6 March 06, for 4 months
Multivitamine once a day
Female support Supplement herbs; don quai, black cohosh, vitex and ginseng once a day
Omega 3 (Fish oil and Flaxseed oil) twice a day
Milk thistle once or twice a week

Skin:
Wash with Neutrogena extra mild cleansing cream twice a day
Moisturise once a day with Happyderm
Blistex on lips every hour - marvellous stuff
!

My Accutane Gallery

#4 LabGirl81

LabGirl81

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 11
About Me

Posted 29 March 2006 - 08:51 PM

Assuming you aren't a troll just making fun of people with acne.....

Sounds like he's got mild non-inflammatory acne. Just masses of bacteria (yes bacteria) and dead skin cells stuck in his pores on his nose and some blackheads on his chin....poor baby. At least your not dating someone with cystic acne....I feel bad for what my boyfriend has to deal with (I have cystic acne.....not him). Man all that shit in my pores creating these huge monster zits that take months to go away and leave behind craters (I've got my share of whiteheads and blackheads too......I have no idea why he didn't ditch me ages ago for a pretty, not repulsive girl.....maybe it's my body he likes....who knows...

Why are you popping his blackheads anyway. My boyfriend who has clear skin has some large pores filled with junk on his nose....and he could care less (although i've seen some Boire pore strips in his medicine cabinet.....hmmmm). I think he's adorable, blackheads or not.....
And whay posesses you to smell that stuff.....I never even knew it had a smell at all.....If it's really foul he might be dealing with something entirely differen't like staph, but I think you could just be making that up because I haven't yet decided if your a troll or not.....

Anyway.....He could try exfoliating or using a product that contains salicylic acid. I'm not a fan of SA, but it can help mild acne. Or he could go to a derm or GP to get a prescription for a topical retinoid (differin, retin-a, tazorac, etc.) My large pores looked so much smaller when I was using retinoids....there was hardly anything to squeeze out of the pores on my nose......
I'm off Accutane!!!!!

Six month course from 9/7/06 to 3/23/07......dosage ranged from 20mg a day to a whopping 120mg/day, giving a huge cumulitive dose of 262.5mg/kg.

I'm clear, but will be using Tazorac for maintnence (and to keep any wrinkles that want to come up at bay)......

So you want to see my acne and 'tane results??? Lab's Gallery

#5 Brandy

Brandy

• Regimen Assistance
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 March 2006 - 08:55 PM

yea Labgirl, I'm with you on this.
Why on earth would you squeeze your boyfriend's pores, and then smell the contents? eusa_hand.gif
That's not very romantic. wink.gif
It does sound like he needs some good Salicylic Acid, or Retin A, or something.
A trip to the dermatologist for a diagnosis and suggestions would help.

We're all in this together.

#6 LionQueen

LionQueen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 29 March 2006 - 09:27 PM

doubt.gif
Retired from Acne.org

#7 savmyfaceplz

savmyfaceplz

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 March 2006 - 08:01 AM

you've been dating this guy for 3 years with the same problem and you're just now looking for a solution?? hmmm :idea: Here's a solution... stop popping and smelling his zits.

#8 LabGirl81

LabGirl81

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 March 2006 - 10:25 AM

Yeah that's just plain gross......
I'm off Accutane!!!!!

Six month course from 9/7/06 to 3/23/07......dosage ranged from 20mg a day to a whopping 120mg/day, giving a huge cumulitive dose of 262.5mg/kg.

I'm clear, but will be using Tazorac for maintnence (and to keep any wrinkles that want to come up at bay)......

#9 S-T-F-U

S-T-F-U

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 March 2006 - 12:53 PM

eusa_sick.gif
You may delay, but time will not.

#10 Buckfan1

Buckfan1

Rockin'

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 March 2006 - 01:47 PM

Username: Insulting and inane.

Demeanor: Vulgar.

File Under: Troll.

#11 LabGirl81

LabGirl81

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 12
About Me

Posted 30 March 2006 - 08:28 PM

Sorry everyone bashed you on your first post......You are very straight foward. You just presented the question in a troll-like manner. Your first post and it alomst sounded like you were completely revolted by what you describced as a mild case of acne. I hate to think how you feel about the rest of us with acne that is far from mild.

I've just never noticed that my acne ever has a "smell." My boyfriend hasn't noticed this "smell" either, and I've got more than just whiteheads and blackheads. His pores aren't quite perfect and actually seem similar to your boyfriend's. Just little clogged pores and blackheads on his nose. And they certainly don't smell. Is it possible you are smelling his breath and not his smelly pores?
If it is his pores that you are smelling then you might have an aversion the the smell of his sebum. That area of the face (areas around the mouth nose and chin) have an enoumous amout of sebaceous follicles that produce the oily waxy substance that we call sebum. He may have oily skin, that's causing this mild case of acne. Are offended by the smell of his hair if he doesn't wash it. That is also the smell of sebum. Sebum itself doesn't have an odor but the odor comes from the breakdown of the sebum by bacteria. Still this should not be an offensive odor like the odor caused by the breakdown of sweat from the apocrine glands (aka....body odor.... eusa_doh.gif )

Scientists are beginning to believe that another function of sebum (besides clogging our pores up and making out faces greasy) is it's function as a vehicle
to bring phermones to the surface of the skin. Human skin surface pheromones consists hundrededs related aliphatic compounds. Sebaleic acid is the the main component. Actually the reason we kiss is because out mouths touch when we put are faces close enough to "smell" eachothers phermones......what we are doing when we kiss is actually smelling eachother.

If you find yourself stongly averted to the smell of his hair or face then your phermone recepotrs don't like his phermones. You'll notice that around the middle of your cycle (assuming you aren't on birth control pills) you find the aversion stronger. If you are on birth control pills you won't be as affected by this smell. This is the smell that creates "chemistry" between men and women.

I love the smell of my boyfriends hair when he first wakes up in the morning. I can't really describe it. It's like ozonic or something. It smells like rain......not a bad smell. However I have "hooked up" with other guys before him. A guy could be hot as hell, but if he didn't "smell" right it was over by the first kiss. and it's not always his breath that I was smelling.....

That smell is very important. If you don't like the way he smells you two may not be compatible with eachther. Not to say you couldn't have a great relationship, but something would be lacking in the chemisrty department.

In the mean time he should look into treatment of his mild acne, if it's a cosmetic issue for him. AHA's like glycolic acidand lactic acid could help as could products containg salicylic acid. He could try Jess's exfoliation method, or see a derm about getting some topical retinoids, which work wonders......

There's no treatment for that smell problem......it's not something that can be treated......there may be another girl out there who loves the smell of his "smelly pores" the same smell you are repulsed by....what makes us so diverse is our vastly diverse body chemistry......
I'm off Accutane!!!!!

#12 Corporate

Corporate

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2006 - 04:51 PM

You must really adore him. I would have NEVER let my girl touch my face like that - not because I don't want her to touch me, but I wouldn't want her to go through the distress you are going through now, potentially. (I am still trying to collect myself... Wow)

Anyhow. Maybe he could attend to whatever area bothers you the most. Stop putting yourself in a position to be grossed out! There are plenty of things couples can/should do alone - let that be one of them.

I agree that the first post could have been a little less... explicit, but its nice that you care.

Dwell on his good smells (I hate talking about this) - I feel like your setting yourself up for disappointment.

#13 Don't Bug Me

Don't Bug Me

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 19 June 2008 - 10:20 PM

you really need to read this..
smelly oily sacs behind the ear, pores, anywhere around the fade

#14 kickstart

kickstart

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 April 2010 - 04:56 AM

Hello everyone. I'm new here and just found this site. The only way I came across it is because I "googled" "What makes zits smell", and, well, here I am. I'm a 33 year old male that has suffered from acne since I was about 15. I remember a dermo. telling me that by time I turn 21 I will be free of acne. Well, I reckon he was wrong. Anyways, my acne is nothing like it use to be, I get a few here and there, no big, I just have really oily skin mostly because I sweet easily. But I have noticed over the past several years that I have this one spot on my neck (and its always the very same spot) that I will get a hard "lump" that holds pus. Sometimes, if it will "pop", it will be a thick, almost paste like white substance, other times it will be runny and yellow-ish. But its not always there. A few days after I pop it, it will be gone only to resurface a few months later, or even a year or so later. My wife said it might be an infected hair, but I have never know that to produce pus, nor have I ever known something like an infected hair to "come and go". I have used alcohol and things to try and keep that area dry but it always returns. I know this thread is a few years old but I posted here anyways. So what do y'all think might be the cause and what might be some things I could try to stop it from returning? Thank y'all for your time.

Edited by kickstart, 28 April 2010 - 05:45 AM.

#15 Jassie

Jassie

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 April 2010 - 01:19 PM

Poor thing. It is not his faulth though, he sounds like a neat person. Tell him that you love him no matter what as a comfort.

#16 ballsoftitanium

ballsoftitanium

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 May 2010 - 11:00 PM

Dump your bf.

And tell him its because he's an ugly zit faced monster.

It will make him a stronger person.

I know because it made me stronger to hear those words.

#17 Jesusandme

Jesusandme

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 April 2011 - 12:31 PM

I bet your bf eats alot of dairy products. Thats the cause of the problem. Try a little experiment - no dairy or dairy by-products or anything that has dairy in it and drink lots of water for two consecutive weeks and see what happens. It will work. Trust me - I had the same problem. I should know smile.gif

#18 AcneSlayer

AcneSlayer

Live. Laugh. Love.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 April 2011 - 12:02 PM

QUOTE (ballsoftitanium @ May 8 2010, 12:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dump your bf.

And tell him its because he's an ugly zit faced monster.

It will make him a stronger person.

I know because it made me stronger to hear those words.

lol.gif
I was going to add something meaningful and helpful to this thread, but I lost my train of thought entirely when I read this.

90% Clear thanks to Ortho Tri-Cyclin Lo!
Current Routine:
-Neutrogena Acne Stress Control Power-Clear Scrub
-Carley's Clear and Smooth Exotic Butter Moisturizer
-Aveeno Positively Radiant Moisturizer with SPF 30
-Clean and Clear Persa Gel Maxiumum Strength (spot treat)
-Tretinoin 0.05% (currently twice weekly at night)
-Queen Helene Mint Julep Mask (once a week)
-Everday Minerals Mineral Makeup
-Ortho Tri-Cyclin Lo

#19 dragonfly21

dragonfly21

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:22 PM

QUOTE (Buckfan1 @ Mar 30 2006, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Username: Insulting and inane.

Demeanor: Vulgar.

File Under: Troll.

lol!! no offense @mybfhasnastyacne but i hate ur name mad.gif
I can finally say "I don't get acne anymore!" =D

#20 AKL

AKL

Retired Mod

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:50 PM

You guys do realize that this thread is from 2006, right? Topic closed.

"When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment. I told them they didn’t understand life.” - John Lennon