661 replies to this topic

#661 Puma94

Puma94

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:30 AM

Hey guys,

Just wanted to share my story with you guys and hopefully be able to offer some helpful advice. I've been dealing with chronic Folliculitis on my face and scalp for close to 5 years now. I've been to several different dermatologists over this time period and they've all provided a different diagnosis but similar oral and topical anti-biotic treatments. I've spent countless hours reading through posts from other users with similar experiences and am convinced that I am suffering from Folliculitis, which was one of the diagnosis I received from one of the dermatologists I visited. As is the case with many of you who have had similar experiences, during treatment the Folliculitis has completely gone away only to come back worse than before after finishing treatment. Most recently I was on Doxycycline for about 4 months, tapering off during the last month and a half as advised by my dermatologist, hoping to kill the infection for good. That was not the end result, unfortunately, and now my Folliculitis is back on my scalp and face (chin and jawline) worse than ever before

I refuse to visit another dermatologist and be prescribed more oral anti-biotics which will only make my condition worse over time, so I am seeking alternative treatments. I read that many people have had success washing their face and scalp with Hibiclens (an antiseptic skin cleanser whose active ingredient is 4% chlorhexidine gluconate) and started washing with it yesterday. Already I am seeing some enouraging signs that this thing might actually work since my bumps feel less inflammated and red in color. I'm going to continue washing my face and scalp every morning after I wake up and evening before going to bed until I hopefully get rid of all the bumps.

I also ordered a Mandelic Acid wash from Amazon which I also hear works to help treat folliculitis. I am not sure yet exactly how I am going to work this into my regimen, but I was thinking of perhaps alternating between the Hibiclens and the Mandelic Acid wash. Also to be clear, prior to using the Hibiclens I am using an exfoliant on my face to unclog any pores and my normal shampoo on my scalp to wash my hair. I will be sure to provide you guys with an update on my progress over the next couple of days and weeks.

To summarize, here's my current progress:

-On day 2 of using Hibiclens twice a day to wash my face and scalp (using exfoliant on face and tea-tree oil shampoo prior to application) and so far it seems to be keeping the Folliculitis under control and possibly reducing the inflammation of my bumps, with minor dryness/irritation (at least for now).

-Scalp still very itchy, but some improvement from prior to washing with Hibiclens. I wouldn't say that the Hibiclens has been effective in treating the itch if that is what you're looking for. For that, I have found Selsun Blue (w Aloe Vera) the most effective.

I hope I can find an effective treatment once and for all that does involve becoming a slave to a damaging anti-biotic. Good luck guys!

#662 full39

full39

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 December 2014 - 05:47 PM

Just diagnosed with this condition on scalp and face. I have been prescribed low dose accutane (20mg per week) and have been told this will get rid of it for good by reducing the oil production of my skin. It may take 6 months or it may take 6 years but low dose will eliminate it. Any one any experience with this treatment?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users