666 replies to this topic

#661 Puma94

Puma94

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:30 AM

Hey guys,

Just wanted to share my story with you guys and hopefully be able to offer some helpful advice. I've been dealing with chronic Folliculitis on my face and scalp for close to 5 years now. I've been to several different dermatologists over this time period and they've all provided a different diagnosis but similar oral and topical anti-biotic treatments. I've spent countless hours reading through posts from other users with similar experiences and am convinced that I am suffering from Folliculitis, which was one of the diagnosis I received from one of the dermatologists I visited. As is the case with many of you who have had similar experiences, during treatment the Folliculitis has completely gone away only to come back worse than before after finishing treatment. Most recently I was on Doxycycline for about 4 months, tapering off during the last month and a half as advised by my dermatologist, hoping to kill the infection for good. That was not the end result, unfortunately, and now my Folliculitis is back on my scalp and face (chin and jawline) worse than ever before

I refuse to visit another dermatologist and be prescribed more oral anti-biotics which will only make my condition worse over time, so I am seeking alternative treatments. I read that many people have had success washing their face and scalp with Hibiclens (an antiseptic skin cleanser whose active ingredient is 4% chlorhexidine gluconate) and started washing with it yesterday. Already I am seeing some enouraging signs that this thing might actually work since my bumps feel less inflammated and red in color. I'm going to continue washing my face and scalp every morning after I wake up and evening before going to bed until I hopefully get rid of all the bumps.

I also ordered a Mandelic Acid wash from Amazon which I also hear works to help treat folliculitis. I am not sure yet exactly how I am going to work this into my regimen, but I was thinking of perhaps alternating between the Hibiclens and the Mandelic Acid wash. Also to be clear, prior to using the Hibiclens I am using an exfoliant on my face to unclog any pores and my normal shampoo on my scalp to wash my hair. I will be sure to provide you guys with an update on my progress over the next couple of days and weeks.

To summarize, here's my current progress:

-On day 2 of using Hibiclens twice a day to wash my face and scalp (using exfoliant on face and tea-tree oil shampoo prior to application) and so far it seems to be keeping the Folliculitis under control and possibly reducing the inflammation of my bumps, with minor dryness/irritation (at least for now).

-Scalp still very itchy, but some improvement from prior to washing with Hibiclens. I wouldn't say that the Hibiclens has been effective in treating the itch if that is what you're looking for. For that, I have found Selsun Blue (w Aloe Vera) the most effective.

I hope I can find an effective treatment once and for all that does involve becoming a slave to a damaging anti-biotic. Good luck guys!

#662 full39

full39

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 December 2014 - 05:47 PM

Just diagnosed with this condition on scalp and face. I have been prescribed low dose accutane (20mg per week) and have been told this will get rid of it for good by reducing the oil production of my skin. It may take 6 months or it may take 6 years but low dose will eliminate it. Any one any experience with this treatment?

#663 EminentBean

EminentBean

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 February 2015 - 04:30 AM

Hi everyone, I opened an account just to reply to this topic cause I'm at my wit's end! 

Can't quite believe how many people seem to be suffering with this. I am now one of them I think! 

Quick story - it all started late Dec 2014, started getting a few weird spots on forehead (between eyes) at Xmas. Thought I was probably having a breakout, so used normal acne products. About 2 weeks passed got into new year and everything started to get worse. The bumps started to spread up my forehead and by late Jan my forehead was bumpy, red, itchy and raw with all these little, what looked like clogged pores and blackheads. 

I'm a picker (unfortunately) so yeah I did start to scratch the clogs out. What came out was liked hardened sebum - some of the clogs were so deep! Anyway, I've now realised picking them out doesn't much help and I've probably scarred my face quite a bit. 

From January onwards I was still using my normal skin care routine all over face (cleansing oil method, plus jojoba oil for moisturiser) then I got desperate and bought some salicylic acid spot treatment which I thought was helping but didn't clear it up. Bought freederm which weirdly stung the area. Then I bought tea tree oil but because my face is quite sensitive, I mixed it with jojoba/hemp oil and lathered it on affected area. 

When that didn't work I thought maybe it need extra moisture so started adding a really thick oil balm to forehead at night. That was a mistake. It started getting worse and spreading. That's when I started searching on internet and discovered PF.

I can't think what else it could be! 

Start of February I bought Nizoral shampoo over the counter. Started using it morning and night (leaving on for as long as possible) and at first it seemed to be helping. I got excited! But now after nearly four weeks, it's stopped getting better. In fact it seems that while some bits clear, the bumps spread to other sections of my forehead. Most of them are under the skin (if you catch the light right, there's probably about 100 tiny flesh coloured bumps), some look like blackheads, and others pustules. It's so confusing. 

Other things I've tried are baking soda and lemon juice. Lemon juice seemed to calm redness but it irritates the skin a bit! 

I read lots of people talking about candida and so looked up symptoms and I think I had mild oral thrush and didn't even realise it till now! I had a very thick white coating on my tongue. So I decided to get some fluconazole (difflucan) - I've taken one tablet (150mg) and the coating on my tongue pretty much went away within 24 hours. But I'm wary of self-medicating and taking more of this. I've even now tried putting clotrimazole cream on it (thrush cream) on my forehead.

I don't want to go to my doctor cause here in the UK you're only now allowed to see your registered doctor, and mine is a TERRIBLE doctor. I know he'll just want to give me antibiotics. 

Does anyone have any advice of what to try next?

I've ordered some ketoconazole cream and some more fluconazole, and I've even purchased some retin-a which I don't know whether is worth trying on my forehead (I want to use it on my face because I have normal acne there). 

#664 mrsgvid

mrsgvid

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 March 2015 - 06:41 AM

Hi everyone.

I've been struggling with PF for about 10 years now after I battled glandular fever and was put on a ridiculous range of antibiotics over about a 6 week period. It's started off mild (pimples on my back that would never go away) but a year ago completely exploded over my chest, neck, inner thighs and even my feet after two round of steroids for my chronic sinusitis.

I was desperate for a solution that wasn't just temporary and was scouring the forums trying to get answers. In the end I stumbled upon an article that highlighted a link between PF and Candida Overgrowth so I did a lot more research and realised that what was the actual root of my PF was the candida fungus that had overgrown in my gut so badly it had penetrated the cell walls and tissues in my body and come through my skin. Consequently I researched every cure, tried all the wives tales and then resorted to a very strict candida diet for 3 months which involved me cutting out anything that the fungus feeds off (carbs, starch, wheat, vinegar, 98% of the sugar and dairy) in order to starve it and kill it.

I knew I couldn't do longer than that because I love my food but I had tried everything and this was my last hope. My PF flared up more for the first few weeks but after a month I noticed a bit of an improvement (less postules and less need to use my topical treatments) at the two month mark my skin was really showing signs of improvement and the PF on everywhere except my chest and neck had gone away. By 3 months I was 95% clear with only small spots and no puss. Through this whole period I was taking a probiotic a day which I'm absolutely convinced made a huge difference in helping my body clear out everything in my gut.

So I went back to my normal quite high carb diet (still on the probiotics though) scared that it would all come back. But the wonderful news is that it's been 6 weeks now and I am absolutely delighted to say my skin is now all clear everywhere on my body. Pimples under the skin on my face which I thought were just pimples have even gone which tells me I had PF pretty much all over and my chest is the clearest it has been in a decade.

If you are looking for a solution, you absolutely have to do it through diet. The topical treatments will never be able to clear up fungus that's internal and once it is in your cell walls, antifungals won't clear it up either.

I urge you if you are suffering with PF to Google 'Candida Overgrowth' find the strictest diet you can and stick to it for 3 months. It's 12 weeks of going without all the stuff you like eating for a life with CLEAR skin.

I wanted to comment on this thread because I remember feeling so hopeless and frustrated as I scoured the Internet for a solution and no one ever wrote a comment that said 'I fixed it' unless they were health obsessed and were controlling it by being on some super strict awful diet for life (which is impossible to maintain).

So please try a Candida Diet just for 3 months and you will be so thankful you did! It 100% worked for me and I had PF to varying degrees for 10 years.

Good Luck.

#665 boomx

boomx

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 June 2015 - 10:15 AM

Hi everyone.

I've been struggling with PF for about 10 years now after I battled glandular fever and was put on a ridiculous range of antibiotics over about a 6 week period. It's started off mild (pimples on my back that would never go away) but a year ago completely exploded over my chest, neck, inner thighs and even my feet after two round of steroids for my chronic sinusitis.

I was desperate for a solution that wasn't just temporary and was scouring the forums trying to get answers. In the end I stumbled upon an article that highlighted a link between PF and Candida Overgrowth so I did a lot more research and realised that what was the actual root of my PF was the candida fungus that had overgrown in my gut so badly it had penetrated the cell walls and tissues in my body and come through my skin. Consequently I researched every cure, tried all the wives tales and then resorted to a very strict candida diet for 3 months which involved me cutting out anything that the fungus feeds off (carbs, starch, wheat, vinegar, 98% of the sugar and dairy) in order to starve it and kill it.

I knew I couldn't do longer than that because I love my food but I had tried everything and this was my last hope. My PF flared up more for the first few weeks but after a month I noticed a bit of an improvement (less postules and less need to use my topical treatments) at the two month mark my skin was really showing signs of improvement and the PF on everywhere except my chest and neck had gone away. By 3 months I was 95% clear with only small spots and no puss. Through this whole period I was taking a probiotic a day which I'm absolutely convinced made a huge difference in helping my body clear out everything in my gut.

So I went back to my normal quite high carb diet (still on the probiotics though) scared that it would all come back. But the wonderful news is that it's been 6 weeks now and I am absolutely delighted to say my skin is now all clear everywhere on my body. Pimples under the skin on my face which I thought were just pimples have even gone which tells me I had PF pretty much all over and my chest is the clearest it has been in a decade.

If you are looking for a solution, you absolutely have to do it through diet. The topical treatments will never be able to clear up fungus that's internal and once it is in your cell walls, antifungals won't clear it up either.

I urge you if you are suffering with PF to Google 'Candida Overgrowth' find the strictest diet you can and stick to it for 3 months. It's 12 weeks of going without all the stuff you like eating for a life with CLEAR skin.

I wanted to comment on this thread because I remember feeling so hopeless and frustrated as I scoured the Internet for a solution and no one ever wrote a comment that said 'I fixed it' unless they were health obsessed and were controlling it by being on some super strict awful diet for life (which is impossible to maintain).

So please try a Candida Diet just for 3 months and you will be so thankful you did! It 100% worked for me and I had PF to varying degrees for 10 years.

Good Luck.

Interesting you went 3 months. I went to a herbalist and he told me just 6 weeks of just fruits and vegetables. I did it for 2 weeks and my skin was like a baby's again. The weight loss afterwards is too much though.

So, yes it is one's diet but it can come back from the times I've cheated and skipped a serving of vegetables or had some flatbread and pasta. I think what really made it come back were the almonds in some kashi cereal a friend let me have on a weekend trip. It;s weird though since I can drink Almond milk and never have signs, but when I eat raw or roasted almonds that are in put in a meal., it makes me break out.  Cashews are no problem.

I agree the probiotics does help and cutting out refined and processed sugars is great

I've gotten rid of it by using Selsum Blue and will try Nizoral as well and don't live in humid climates (for sure) . Cold weather seems to keep it from coming even if you do cheat on food once in a while.

Oh, one time the derm gave me some ketaconozale tablets and those worked wonders but they said I cannot take it long term as it would really affect one's liver.

#666 lifelemons

lifelemons

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 June 2015 - 09:49 PM

I NEED TO SHARE THIS 

I had really bad bumps all over my forehead. They itched, burned, and drove me crazy! I avoided certain light and looking into mirrors. I went to a dermatologist but the truth is they only want to prescribe you stuff from big companies that won't really work, you'll peel and just feel more miserable then before.. Or they put you on antibiotics that will help.. but it's not a sustainable way of dealing with the bumps. SO HERES WHAT I FOUND WORKED PLEASE TRY!!!!!!

LATHER face with DHS DANDRUFF SHAMPOO 2% PYRITHIONE ZINC
WAIT 3 minutes or so.. wash it off
follow up with Noble Formula Moisturizer (the one with 2% pyrithione zinc) 

OKAY LAST PART 
In the morning take 1-2 zinc tablets 50mg 
AND 2 ACIDOPHULUS PROBIOTIC PILLS  

Good luck, stay strong, defeat the bumps! 

#667 randomuser2655478

randomuser2655478

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 July 2015 - 12:52 PM

I have been dealing with this condition for a year and at first I felt a very unbearable burning sensation on my forehead. I develop small red bumps that are very tender even without touching them. The bumps then all get whiteheads throughout the day. I am on spiro and bcp as well but never had any issues until a year ago and so far nothing has helped. The pictures below are the bumps at their worst top picture is am and bottom is pm. I would greatly appreciate some help. I am extremely desperate.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

Edited by randomuser2655478, 02 July 2015 - 03:45 PM.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users