Pityrosporum Folliculitis ?

659 replies to this topic

#601 Tbone2000

Tbone2000

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:20 PM

Well - I tried a chlorine bath yesterday. Not a good idea. I soaked in a bathtub with a very diluted amount of Clorox bleach (50 mL for the whole tub) for about 10 minutes, then thoroughly rinsed.

This morning I woke up and I had a very, very nasty flare of the folliculitis - probably the worst I have had in over 6 months. Very disappointing.

I wish more people would participate in this thread. I've been struggling with this condition for 2 years and it is really affecting me.

#602 direstr8s

direstr8s

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:13 PM

My skin always had a bad reaction from chlorine water since I developed PF...
Have you tried using Selsun/Head & Shoulders/Nizoral anti-dandruff shampoo as a soap on the affected areas yet? I've had PF for like 10 years (always thought it was acne), and using Head & Shoulders each day in the shower already made such a big difference. You have to really scrub it into the skin really good, not just rub it on - well that's what is working for me so far.

#603 NothingToFear

NothingToFear

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:40 PM

Bleach and the chemicals they use in pools aren't exactly the same - however they should both kill just about anything, including the bacteria on your skin.

Jury is still out on the pool thing, I need some more time. My chest folliculitis had already mostly cleared so it's other areas of the body I'm trying to nuke.
"Veni, Vidi, Vici"
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, yearn for tomorrow."

#604 NothingToFear

NothingToFear

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:27 PM

Well - I tried a chlorine bath yesterday. Not a good idea. I soaked in a bathtub with a very diluted amount of Clorox bleach (50 mL for the whole tub) for about 10 minutes, then thoroughly rinsed.

This morning I woke up and I had a very, very nasty flare of the folliculitis - probably the worst I have had in over 6 months. Very disappointing.

I wish more people would participate in this thread. I've been struggling with this condition for 2 years and it is really affecting me.

Sorry to hear about your MF (Malassezia Folliculitis) episode. I'm trying to think what could have caused the breakout. I have a hard time believing sodium hypochlorite caused a flare up. Did you apply any kind of moisturizer after you dried off?

One thing I found really interesting, was in that link I posted, people were saying petroleum jelly seems to seal the area and not let it breathe or get any moisture, and it essentially chokes it to death. Might be worth a try. Of course, apply it after completely drying it out.

I'm having good luck just washing my chest and hair with Nizoral 1% shampoo when I shower. I also alternate Head & Shoulders (zinc) and Regenepure (ketoconazole). This is for both anti-fungal and anti-hair loss reasons (blocking DHT). I'm not doing anything for my face outside of a normal morning/night wash routine. I keep my pillow cases/sheets washed regularly, and I do not wash my face any more with the loufa (sp?) that I wash my body with. I'm trying to avoid cross contamination wherever possible.

I can only guess my 3 months of Lamisil (Terbinafine) 250mg contributed the most. Let's hope I can keep the stuff away.

As for the jock itch...still fighting that battle. Anyone else have fungal infections in areas other than the chest/face? Athlete's foot and jock itch are possibly related and may even be where this whole thing came from in the first place.

Edited by NothingToFear, 17 June 2012 - 08:44 PM.

"Veni, Vidi, Vici"

#605 wicky

wicky

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:45 PM

curious about the Lamsil Terbinafine 250mg. Is this a pill to alleviate fungal infections?

#606 NothingToFear

NothingToFear

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:55 PM

curious about the Lamsil Terbinafine 250mg. Is this a pill to alleviate fungal infections?

Yup, Google/Bing are your friends. The research shows it is typically more effective than the -zoles, in less time with possibly less toxicity.
"Veni, Vidi, Vici"

#607 qoyrts

qoyrts

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:10 AM

omg i cannot even express how happy i am that i found this thread. i've been suffering from "acne" on my back, chest, shoulders, and legs for 10 years now, and all my dermatologists have ever done is prescribe some weak antibiotics and topical creams that would help a little for a short period of time, and then everything would get worse. my skin has its ups and downs, and it's in a pretty bad stage right now, so i've been pretty depressed about it and was doing some research last night. i happened across some info about p. folliculitus and goddamn if it isn't exactly what i have! anyway, i'm going to the drugstore after work to pick up some head & shoulders so i can start washing with that and see how that works out. if this is what i have, is there a chance that washing with the head & shoulders alone might make a difference? i've noticed many of you are combining a lot of treatments, but i don't want to start throwin down $$ on some of this stuff unless i know it's going to do something for me

xx

#608 NothingToFear

NothingToFear

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:12 PM

It's officially called Malasezzia. The fungus was previously known at Pityrosporum.

If you can find H&S regular, sure. If it's the one with the built-in conditioner I would say it's probably too heavy for a full-body treatment. Who knows if that could plug things up and cause acne (I don't trust it).

I would alternate H&S, Nizoral and Selsun Blue until you get it under control. Otherwise everything else has been covered, such as:

Wash bedsheets regularly
Wear shirts, socks, underwear only once
Stay dry!

I also have been using Glytone 2% Salicylic Acid back acne spray every night after my showers, seems like a good product.
"Veni, Vidi, Vici"

#609 wll37

wll37

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:My dream is to have a clear skin with the help of medications + healthy diet + healthy lifestyle

Achievements

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:49 PM

I don't know if this thing just happen to me, but every time I use H&S regular, it makes my scalp folliculitis coming back. I'm now using selsun blue for my scalp and it's keeping my folliculitis at bay.

@NothingToFear, I thought you've used AmLactin before to treat your folliculitis. Am I right? Is it working? I have one and I'm considering to use it.
we are here for a reason
a simple reason to be said
a simple reason to be dreamed
a simple reason to be achieved
a reason which is to be acne free

#610 NothingToFear

NothingToFear

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:11 PM

AmLactin is for Keratosis Pilaris. It itches like crazy too (front of thighs).

I have been using a 10% Glycolic Acid Lotion from Alpha Hydrox instead. Seems to work fairly well. Still itches but not as bad.

Edited by NothingToFear, 30 June 2012 - 05:14 PM.

"Veni, Vidi, Vici"

#611 NothingToFear

NothingToFear

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:46 PM

Fairly convinced at this point that the red dots on my legs are the fungal infection getting into my hair follicles. Nizoral 1% shampoo is far more effective at making them disappear than Lactic or Glycolic Acid lotions.

Wish I could eradicate this nightmare completely.
"Veni, Vidi, Vici"

#612 NothingToFear

NothingToFear

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:52 PM

Still free of folliculitis. Just washing my chest/underarms with Nizoral and I haven't had any recurrences.

I do believe keeping your scalp clean is one of the keys. Anything you wash out of there can find a new home on other areas of your body. Anti-dandruff shampoos like Nizoral, Head & Shoulders, Selsun, will be very important.
"Veni, Vidi, Vici"

#613 Tbone2000

Tbone2000

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:25 PM

I am still struggling with this. I haven't been able to find anything that is effective and I have gone through 2 dermatologists who refused to prescribe me serious anti-fungals, or even perform biopsies/cultures on the lesions to figure out for sure what they are.

If nothing else I am pretty pissed off at the medical profession over this. Yes, it's cosmetic, it's not like I have something life threatening like skin cancer, but I'm tired of hearing "Oh it doesn't look that bad!" every time I see a doctor. Really, it doesn't look that bad? These idiot doctors have no idea what it feels like when you are getting intimate with a woman and she asks if you have measles or bedbugs while looking at your chest.

Bunch of drooling idiots. Some of the dumbest smart people I know.

#614 Clearwaters

Clearwaters

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:41 AM

^^^ My sentiments exactly. Totally agree. You pay these incompetent fools absurd amounts of money to either tell you what you already know or to play down and dismiss your valid concerns based on THIER personal judgment/standards of what's acceptable. They hide behind their silly textbooks writing you off as paranoid when they come up short with answers. Gps aren't much better. I'm not wasting my hard earned cash on them anymore.

This folliculitis, I think I have it. Does it thrive on especially oily skin? Presents as small flesh colored bumps that don't really come to a head?

Does anyone know if this can spread from or to other parts of the body? And will the antifungal properties of tea tree be strong enough to tackle this problem?

#615 Tbone2000

Tbone2000

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:23 PM

Tea tree did nothing for me.

It can spread. It spread from my upper chest/shoulders to my stomach, my back, and the front of my thighs.

#616 stevebeige

stevebeige

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:28 AM

Hi. I've had PF on my chest and back for 18 years. Please believe me when i say i've tried almost everything including Roaccutane. (In my experience, the medical proffession are useless regarding treating skin conditions.) Finally, I believe I now understand what the problem was, how I was exacerbating it and what led to the solution.

First, I'll straight out tell you what I did to fix it and those who are interested can read about my story/analysis afterwards.

1. STOP showering/bathing for at least 3 days (VERY IMPORTANT). No water must contact the affected areas during this time. You can still 'bed bath' other body parts of course.

2. Apply organic cold pressed extra virgin coconut oil to the affected areas in the morning. Rub it in well but try not to put on too much as the skin can only absorb so much. Only a thin layer is needed.

3. By the next morning it should already be starting to look better. Continue applying coconut oil each morning. After 3 days your skin can probably handle a shower. Clean the affected areas with a gentle shower gel/soap. (I just used a body shop shower gel). Pat dry with fresh clean towel (VERY IMPORTANT) and apply coconut oil as normal. Don't use same towel for more than 1 shower. Skin might get a bit pink/red first or second time but this will die down and is ok. It is actually good because it will really show you that the infection is bigger than you think underneath.

4. Continue applying coconut oil daily and only showering every three days for 1 month. This should be enough time to completely heal the infection. Even if it looks clear before 1 month keep going for this time frame.

If this method works for you then you need to seriously consider the frequency of showering and suitable moisturising or you will end up back in the same situation.

That's it!!!!

The Science - As I understand it, the follicle gets infected because we are stripping away the skins natural flora (protective layer) repeatedly from showering and soaps etc. Water alone strips some flora from the skin even in soft water countries/areas so soaps etc are doing that even more. Even with moisturising after a shower, nothing replaces the skins flora except itself which seems to take at least 2-3 days to return to normal. If you shower daily AND don't moisturise then you can start to see how the problem worsens.

First we give the infection a chance to heal by letting the flora replenish itself by not showering. Secondly we use the coconut oil to treat the infection as it is anti-microbial and anti-fungal. It also moisturises the skin superficially but without chemicals.

Using fresh towels for each shower is a safeguard in case of reinfection.

My story and Eureka moment!

I took a holiday to Tenerife last year for 10 days and my PF was really, really bad at the start. After 5-6 days it had visibly gone! I was eating terribly everyday - pizzas beer etc so it threw out a previous theory I had of my diet being the problem. However, a combination of sun, even softer water and moisturising from sun tan lotion 5 or so times a day drew me to the whole stripping my skin of moisture thing.

I believe the sun was my initial coconut oil if you like. It was healing the infection by helping the skin repair itself. The sun's rays are antibacterial. This also enabled me to moisturise via sun tan lotion without worsening/aggravating the infection in the follicles. Later, it would become clear that the problem was 2 fold (infection and moisture loss) and needed to be treated simultaneously.

I returned home ecstatic thinking I'd cracked it. I continued to apply sun tan lotion as my moisturiser but I also started showering everyday. BIG MISTAKE!!! Before long the red dots were back. This is because the infection wasn't quite healed underneath yet plus I was stripping the skins moisture again. So I'd effectively wrecked all the good work from the holiday!

As healing as the sun is/was, 10 days was clearly not enough to build a strong foundation going forward. (This is why I recommend 1 month of applying the coconut oil.) After reading the properties of coconut oil on the internet I saw the potential to substitute the antibacterial properties from the sun's rays and deal with moisture loss from showering rolled into 1!!!!! Also, what could be better than a natural product?

From then on I've never looked back. 1 jar of the coconut oil cost me 15 if I remember and it lasted about 8 months!!!!! Just make sure it's organic cold pressed extra virgin coconut oil. It turns solid when stored below 25 degrees C or there abouts but it returns to oil as you touch it. Any other type may not have the antibacterial and anti fungal properties.

I don't know if my skins layers will ever have the barrier strength it once had. However, my skin is now clear and is smoother than its ever been with no signs of the infection returning even with some more frequent showering and some missed moisturising.

Apologies if this was a bit long winded but I really hope this works for even 1 other person as I definitely know how much this can get you down.

#617 NothingToFear

NothingToFear

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:10 AM

That is an interesting hypothesis, but its main point conflicts with what some others have said. Namely, the idea of moisturizing. Starving the fungus by drying it out seems to be helpful to many. Skin being moisturized seems for many people to aggravate the condition (me included). Related to that, I have read about people "sealing it off" with petroleum jelly so it can't breathe. I can't confirm this myself but others have said it worked.

Right now my #1 most effective way to keep the groin itch, red dots on my quads and the bumps on my chest from recurring is Nizoral Shampoo. I am going to see if my doctor can get me the 2% though as I am only using the OTC 1% shampoo.

My worry is that if I use this long enough, natural selection "may" occur resulting in an organism that is not affected by ketoconazole. Therefore I want to eradicate it.

Edited by NothingToFear, 12 August 2012 - 09:12 AM.

"Veni, Vidi, Vici"

#618 stevebeige

stevebeige

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:38 PM

That is an interesting hypothesis, but its main point conflicts with what some others have said. Namely, the idea of moisturizing. Starving the fungus by drying it out seems to be helpful to many. Skin being moisturized seems for many people to aggravate the condition (me included). Related to that, I have read about people "sealing it off" with petroleum jelly so it can't breathe. I can't confirm this myself but others have said it worked.

Right now my #1 most effective way to keep the groin itch, red dots on my quads and the bumps on my chest from recurring is Nizoral Shampoo. I am going to see if my doctor can get me the 2% though as I am only using the OTC 1% shampoo.

My worry is that if I use this long enough, natural selection "may" occur resulting in an organism that is not affected by ketoconazole. Therefore I want to eradicate it.

I really hope you get long term success with the Nizoral but for me even the 2% lost any impact (if it was in fact helping at all!!).

I appreciate your point about others not having luck with moisturising but if I may suggest a few things.

1. moisturising an already aggravated area can look and feel like things are getting worse in the beginning. This can lead you to think that you made the wrong decision and avoid doing it again (I've done this quite a few times!). What exactly is in the moisturiser that is being used? However, I do agree that moisturising, in itself, probably won't cure it.

2. I would suggest/re-emphasize that the problem is 2 fold by it's very nature. Like moisturising, by only treating the infection with things like Head and Shoulders or Nizoral you are at the same time/again stripping the slightly acidic protective layer from the skin (if it is even still there at all!) surrounding the follicle which is already inflamed. The depletion of this protective layer is why the folliculitis infection happened in the first place!! Basically, if you don't deal with the moisturising issue as well then you have a recurring circle situation.

Personally, I'd be interested to know how often the 'non-moisturising' people are washing and how their skin feels and looks (specifically the affected areas) after towel drying. Also, how long any improvement from whichever 'fungus drying out' method lasted. As I understand it, the act of washing wouldn't be complimenting drying the fungus out as it creates an alkaline environment on the skin which, in turn, causes the fungus to spread.

The skins natural barrier is clearly not working correctly if you have any type of folliculitis. Here's some info on this protective layer from two websites I found a while back.

Influences on the regeneration mechanism

Activation of the skin's barrier regeneration system is subject to various influences. Thus increased cholesterol, fatty acid and sphingolipid synthesis leads to a restoration of the barrier function. However, it can be shown that after widespread damage to the horny skin layer, for example, from "stripping" or by oil-removing acetone, the natural horny layer barrier can only be restored by acidifying the skin surface. A neutral or alkaline environment noticeably retards the regeneration process.

The protective environment of the skin and how coconut oil helps

Antiseptic fatty acids in coconut oil help to prevent fungal and bacterial infections in the skin when it is consumed and to some extent, when it is applied directly to the skin. The only way to gain entry into the body other than through the natural openings, such as the nose and mouth, is by penetrating the skin. When the skin's defenses break down, infections can result. Acne, ringworm, herpes, boils, athlete's foot, and warts are just some of the infectious conditions that can affect the skin and body.

The biggest chemical barrier to infectious organisms is the acid layer on the skin. Healthy skin has a pH of about 5, making it slightly acidic. Our sweat (containing uric and lactic acids) and body oils promote this acidic environment. For this reason, sweat and oil do us good. Harmless bacteria can tolerate the acid and live on the skin, but troublesome bacteria can't thrive and their numbers are few.

The oil our bodies produce is called sebum. Sebum is secreted by oil glands (sebaceous glands) located at the root of every hair as well as other places. This oil is very important to skin health. It softens and lubricates the skin and hair and prevents the skin from drying and cracking. Sebum also contains medium chain fatty acids, in the form of medium chain triglycerides, that can be released to fight harmful germs.

Our skin is home to many tiny organisms, most of which are harmless; some are beneficial. At least one variety of bacterium is essential to the healthy environment on our skin. It feeds on the sebum, breaking down the tryglycerides into free fatty acids. The bacteria actually feed on the glycerol part of the triglyceride. This leaves fatty acids which are now "freed" from the glycerol unit that held them together. Medium chain fatty acids which are bound to the glycerol unit as they are in coconut oil have no antimicrobial properties. However, when they are broken apart into free fatty acids, they become powerful antimicrobials.

So these bacteria convert the medium chain triglycerides (in the sebum or on the skin) into free fatty acids that can kill disease-causing bacteria, viruses, and fungi. The combination of the slightly acid pH and medium chain fatty acids provides a protective chemical layer on the skin that prevents infection from disease-causing organisms. Due primarily to the action of bacteria, the oil on the surface of your skin and hair is composed of between 40 and 60 percent free fatty acids. The medium chain fatty acids in the sebum provide the protective layer on the skin that kills harmful germs. Coconut oil is nature's richest source of medium chain fatty acids.

When coconut oil is put on the skin it doesn't have any immediate antimicrobial action. However, when bacteria which are always present on the skin turn these triglycerides into free fatty acids, just as it does with sebum, the result is an increase in the number of antimicrobial fatty acids on the skin and protection from infection. The free fatty acids also help to contribute to the acid environment on the skin which repels disease causing germs.
When bathing or showering, soap washes the protective layer of oil and acid off our skin. Often afterwards the skin becomes tight and dry. Adding moisturizers helps the skin feel better, but it does not replace the acid or the protective medium chain fatty acid layers that was removed. Your skin is vulnerable to infection at this time. You would think that your body would be clean and germ-free after a bath. But germs are everywhere, floating in the air, on our clothes and everything we touch. Many germs survive washing by hiding in cracks and folds of the skin. Before long your skin is again teaming with microorganisms, both good and bad. Until sweat and oils return to reestablish the body's chemical barrier your skin is vulnerable to infection. If you have a cut or cracked skin, this can allow streptococcus, staphylococcus and other harmful germs entry into the body. By using a coconut oil cream, lotion or just pure coconut oil you can quickly help reestablish the skin's natural antimicrobial and acid barrier. Many people use coconut oil on their skin after every bath.
Coconut oil will absorb easily, keep the skin soft, and yet without feeling greasy. It is not like other oils used to soften rough, dry skin. It will help to reduce chronic skin inflammation within days and be soothing and healing to wounds, blood blisters, rashes, etc. It is an excellent ingredient to use in healing salves and ointments. People have used a coconut oil/crushed garlic mixture at night to eliminate plantar warts and athlete's foot with excellent results.

Again, I'm by no means an expert and I appreciate everyones situation is different. I just know that this has been the only thing that has work permanently thus far for me and I believe it has worked based on the info/understandings given above.

Edited by stevebeige, 12 August 2012 - 02:01 PM.

#619 NothingToFear

NothingToFear

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:40 PM

For me, I didn't have a problem until I decided to do 2 things.

1. Started using salicylic acid to treat acne
2. Moisturize afterwards

Boom...then came the folliculitis. I can't prove that caused it but it probably contributed.
"Veni, Vidi, Vici"

#620 spoofy2

spoofy2

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:09 AM

Hey, guys. If nobody's responding to treatments, I recommend a skin biopsy. I've been diagnosed with PF by four different derms and this thing has never truly went away. Most meds never worked to begin with either. I've recently had skin biopsies done: one on my chest, neck, chin, and forehead (yikes, I know, that's a lot. The derm wanted to make sure he didn't miss anything.) Anyway, none of them came back yeast related--actually it was bacterial. He's not sure what type of infection this is but he has me on 2 bacterial antibiotics: amoxicillan for broad spectrum bacteria infections & interpharm for anything that might have been left out. In addition, he has me taking difulcan to prevent any type of yeast infections that those other antibiotics might trigger. I've said this before that when I was sick (strep throat) Dr put me on amoxicillan and my skin was fantastic and so soft, but that junk came back. Hopefully, this does the trick.

I know how frustrating skin conditions are so if you can afford the biopsies, I suggest you do it. And tell them to get more than one sample. Reason for this is the skin they took from my chest came back with absolutely nothing. That's why the derm wanted more to work with...I hope these don't leave scars :X Anyway, if this solves my problems for good, I'm alright having some awesome battle scars. I'll keep everyone posted with my results.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users