#41 skinkim

skinkim

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2006 - 03:16 PM

What Else Looks Like Acne?

Folliculitis
is an infection of the hair follicle that is most commonly bacterial, but can occasionally be caused by a fungus.

Perioral Dermatitis
is a common facial rash consisting of small inflamed papules (bumps), and sometimes tiny vesicles (water filled blisters).

Keratosis Pilaris
is a very common disorder in which small, rough bumps occur in hair follicles or pores, often with some redness around the pore. Who gets...

Rosacea
is a long lasting, non-scarring skin condition of the face that is often misdiagnosed as adult acne.

Source: Acne Guide

#42 Rachel12

Rachel12

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2006 - 03:33 PM

QUOTE(lexytastic @ Jul 17 2006, 07:24 PM) View Post

I may have this, can I see some pictures?

You can see it on Amazon. Nizoral is in a dark blue bottle.

#43 bella_b

bella_b

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 August 2006 - 04:57 PM

How can you tell the difference between the P. Folliculitus and body acne? I self-diagnosed P.F. 2 summers ago and have used ketaconazole off and on with mixed results. Went to a new derm and she seems to think it's acne. It doesn't look like pimples though, but she told me that body acne looks different than facial acne does. I'm so confused.

#44 curiousz

curiousz

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 September 2006 - 08:20 PM

Dwadmin - What treatment (oral) did the doctors give you for your yeast infection?

#45 Dwadmin

Dwadmin

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 September 2006 - 08:36 PM

QUOTE(curiousz @ Sep 8 2006, 12:20 PM) View Post

Dwadmin - What treatment (oral) did the doctors give you for your yeast infection?

Tablets that my doctor prescribed me are Ketoconazole/Itraconazole, the oral solution should be the most effective method for treatment against Pityrosporum Folliculitis but doesn't seems to work for me as I believe the yeast on my body has developed resistance to these oral medications.

In addition, taking the oral prescription for the tablets above is not a long term solution as it will have lots of side effect and may toxicate your liver as well.

Please read the below topic that I have posted about Urine therapy, I have used this treatment method together with other NON-Medication method (Natural method: AntiFungal Diet) to eradicate my symption.

http://www.acne.org/...howtopic=114666

Good Luck to You!!

#46 curiousz

curiousz

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 September 2006 - 10:31 PM

Dwadmin - if you have a yeast infection, it is said that Ketoconazole/Itraconazole is really effective...How many months have you been on those pills, and did you see drastic results that just diminished over time?

#47 AlieMae

AlieMae

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 September 2006 - 12:36 AM

After researching a ton on the net and reading these threads I've come to realize that I definitely have pityrosporum folliculitis on my back neck chest and face. I've had this problem for two years and have been to several dermatoligists. Of course, Acne has been the diagnosis, and antibiotics (as everyone has reported above) made the problem worse. Retin-A didn't do a thing and I even had this blu light treatment which is supposed to be a miracle cure for acne, did not do a thing. Now I see why. Sorry if I seem a bit bitter but what the hell am I paying a doctor for if I'm the one that has to figure out whats wrong with me. GRRRRR!!!! I'm a female, 23, and this has seriously affected my life. I have read that this stuff is connected with soborrheic dermatis, which I've had for many years. I kept telling my dermatoligists that this itches, oh its just because of dry skin, blah blah. In a few days I'm going back to another dermatoligist hopefully this one will actually help me. I'm trying to stay positive but after reading all these threads about how stubborn this stuff is, i have to say I'm a bit worried. Anyways, I'm going to try all the stuff everyone said. I read something about a sea salt bath but I couldn't find the recipe. Makes sense now that the only time my skin was good was when I was in a Australia and swimming in the ocean almost every day. Anyways I'm so glad I found this site, thanks to everyone who has posted their remedies.

#48 rosiemarie

rosiemarie

A weed is no more than a flower in disguise.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 September 2006 - 07:54 PM

i think i may have this to--this is my major cause of bacne..i dont really get poppable stuff on my back, just these little bumps that have to be scratched away. nothing really treats it that i have seen...so i should try Nizoral? it sucks, coz over the summer and now i dont have anything to wear coz all my summer shirts reveal my little problem here smile.gifsmile.gif

#49 Swits

Swits

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 September 2006 - 08:58 PM

i think i have this. my "bacne" arent really swollen bumps, they are more like died skin and little scabs. is this what you're talking about?

#50 postfetalphase

postfetalphase

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Posted 17 September 2006 - 04:47 AM

QUOTE(bella_b @ Aug 2 2006, 06:57 PM) View Post

How can you tell the difference between the P. Folliculitus and body acne? I self-diagnosed P.F. 2 summers ago and have used ketaconazole off and on with mixed results. Went to a new derm and she seems to think it's acne. It doesn't look like pimples though, but she told me that body acne looks different than facial acne does. I'm so confused.

I have been using nizoral for my butt/legs with good results, so I'm assuming it's pityrosporum folliculitis because of the response, although I seem to remember reading that ketaconazole has oil-fighting benefits too so it might be that that is helping me.

If what I have is pityrosporum folliculitis, it's different from acne because the lesions (? bumps?) are smaller than in acne and more uniform, and they have kind of a hardened feel to them.

#51 curiousz

curiousz

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 September 2006 - 02:22 PM

I really would like to know whether it's worth it to take oral antifungals...

topical works, but with mixed results.

#52 Swits

Swits

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 September 2006 - 04:17 PM

can you get nizoral in a grocery or drug store?

#53 Rachel12

Rachel12

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:18 PM

QUOTE(Swits @ Sep 17 2006, 04:17 PM) View Post

can you get nizoral in a grocery or drug store?

Swits, I ordered it on Amazon

#54 Rachel12

Rachel12

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:48 PM

Hey everyone!
I thought I'd give you guys an update on something that's slowly but surely working for my folliculitis issues.

I have bad folliculitis on my legs, and have had it for years. I say it's working slowly because I have a lot of scar tissue and long lasting spots that take a while to go away, but my mom said that my legs look better.

What I do:

I use a scrub brush on the area, preferably twice a day.
I scrub using Nizoral.

Yup, that's it.
There are definitely fewer new red/irritated spots, and the exfoliation probably also works for the ingrown hair problems, too.

Thought I'd lat y'all know!! eusa_dance.gif

#55 hrq271

hrq271

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 January 2007 - 05:48 PM

This is driving me insane. I have what strongly appears to be malassezia folliculitis. I strongly suspect it, because it just fits: I am a teenager, I live in a humid environment, and it appears mainly on the back. However, my dermatologist told me it was folliculitis, and gave me doxycycline and Retin-A Micro for it. I ended up stopping the doxy, and when I went to the derm again, he said the improvement would be much slower unless I took the antibiotics with it. And one thing I noticed was that the folliculitis definitely seemed to get better when I was on the doxy. Now, I'm wondering whether I should go back on it. I hear some very bad things about the antibiotics/MF combo.

#56 bella_b

bella_b

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2007 - 03:14 PM

FWIW, I also have oily hair and I've been using Neutrogena T-Gel 2 in 1. I let it sit for 5 or so minutes, and I also let it sit on my shoulders and chest. It clears it right up.

#57 hrq271

hrq271

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2007 - 07:08 PM

Update: apparently I don't have fungal folliculitis, although my derm still says I have folliculitis. He claims that my folliculitis is acneiform, and I believe him, because the antibiotics have helped (not completely, though). My question is: what the hell is the difference between what I have and acne? I mean, my treatments for it are RAM and doxycycline...

#58 GoEagles

GoEagles

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 March 2007 - 02:56 AM

Hey curiousz I have the same white spots on my hair follicles...are they permanent?

#59 kissyface

kissyface

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 March 2007 - 03:43 PM

I'm glad I found this site. Many people believe their outbreaks are acne, but it is actually "Pityrosporum Folliculitis." I went back and forth with my derm for many visits.

After a new boyfriend and years of clear skin I had an itchy rash on my chest. It spread to my neck and face over the period of 4 months. I also had a bump on the side of my nose for 3 months.
I was diagnosed with tinea(ringworm) but it didn't look like ringworm. The rash scaled off, but appeared in my hair and in large circular patterns on my jawline and forehead.
So I did some internet research and found this site.

www.dermnetnz.org/fungal/pityrosporum-folliculitis.html

This site is great because it gives you pictures, treatments and definitions.

If you get a persistent bump on the side of your nose that won't go away, this is because malessezia or pityrosporum lives on the mucous membranes. Also, I would also get an enormous, painful bump on my chin that would stay for weeks. I treated it like a ringworm patch and covered it with a liquid bandage overnight. It went away in only two days, I was elated.

It also is contagious and recurs, because it lives in our clothes and linens. Surfaces should be cleaned with bleach and clothes and linens should be cleaned to prevent another outbreak. Also, antibiotics will only make the condition worse, if it is fungal.

My derm laughed at me because, I voiced my concerns and told her of I thought I had malessezia folliculitis. But if you are unsure of what you have read this article.

ezinearticles.com/?Phony-Acne-Causes-Needless-Scarring-in-Men&id=359600

#60 stevo396

stevo396

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 July 2007 - 01:56 AM

Hey guys,

I had Pity foll. for about 6 months, the doc gave me a few topical things to try but it kept coming back. So i did my own research and found Propylene Glycol.

Mixed it 1:1 with water, put it in a spray bottle and twice a day gently exfoliated the skin and then dried it off and sprayed on the mixture. Within two weeks it was completly gone and hasnt come back since.

So while im sure some people have worse cases than i did, for those of you that havent had any luck so far, here is an extremly cheap and easy treatment.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users