Photo

Management of premenstrual acne with Cox-2 inhibitors

green tea

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 flipside

flipside

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 March 2006 - 05:48 AM

btw, green tea has also shown to down-regulate COX-2 activity.

Management of premenstrual acne with Cox-2 inhibitors: A placebo controlled study

Year : 2004 | Volume : 70 | Issue : 6 | Page : 345-348

Tehrani Rustom, Dharmalingam Mala
Consultant Dermatologist, Mallya Hospital, Bangalore, India

Abstract

BACKGROUND: Premenstrual acne is poorly understood, the accepted hypothesis is 30 years old. AIMS: Here we test the hypothesis that premenstrual acne can be suppressed using Cox-2 inhibitors. METHODS: Eighty women with premenstrual acne were enrolled in a trial where they were given rofecoxib, a Cox-2 inhibitor or placebo for 10 days for two cycles and were evaluated using acne severity index and inflammatory acne counts. RESULTS: Rofecoxib was more effective than the placebo. CONCLUSIONS: Although the number studied is small, the results suggest that rofecoxib is effective in the management of premenstrual acne and that prostaglandin PGE2 may be involved in its pathogenesis.

http://www.ijdvl.com...;aulast=Tehrani

#2 Wolfy

Wolfy

Formerly Known As Wolfkeeper

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 March 2006 - 07:39 AM

Coool. Rofecoxib improves acne!!!! eusa_dance.gif

(Shame it has recently been banned due to causing heart disease, and thus killing people sad.gif )

rofecoxib == Vioxx
"Gravity is just a theory. We shouldn't be teaching it to children as if it were fact."

#3 flipside

flipside

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 March 2006 - 03:08 AM

QUOTE(Wolfy @ Mar 18 2006, 08:39 PM) View Post

Coool. Rofecoxib improves acne!!!! eusa_dance.gif

(Shame it has recently been banned due to causing heart disease, and thus killing people sad.gif )

rofecoxib == Vioxx

Haha, that's funny, I didnt know it was Vioxx.

But I dont recommend taking drugs anyway.

I just think its interesting that you can reduce acne by inhibiting cyclooxygenase-2.

5-lipoxygenase is another enzyme I've been reading about lately. I think both of these enzymes are intimately invloved in sebum production and inflammatory acne.

5-alpha reductase appears to be less of a factor than previously thought.

#4 AcneRuiningMyLife

AcneRuiningMyLife

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 March 2006 - 09:26 PM

I used to sell Celebrex...the only Cox 2 left on the market today. The only real difference between Aleve (Naproxen Sodium) and Celebrex is that Celebrex is safer to take for a longer period of time (fewer NSAID induced GI bleeds). Aleve works just as well on inflamation as the Cox 2 so it should work just as well for Acne if this study rings true. Also, if you suffer from cramps like I do around that time, it's a great one two punch for pain.

#5 pharmacist@medsinmakeup.com

pharmacist@medsinmakeup.com

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2006 - 01:04 PM

QUOTE(AcneRuiningMyLife @ Mar 22 2006, 10:26 PM) View Post

I used to sell Celebrex...the only Cox 2 left on the market today. The only real difference between Aleve (Naproxen Sodium) and Celebrex is that Celebrex is safer to take for a longer period of time (fewer NSAID induced GI bleeds). Aleve works just as well on inflamation as the Cox 2 so it should work just as well for Acne if this study rings true. Also, if you suffer from cramps like I do around that time, it's a great one two punch for pain.

I had HORRIBLE cramps, and when the NSAIDs came along, it was like a MIRACLE!! I didn't ever have many problems with my skin, but when I DID, it was always right before my period. I don't doubt that prostaglandin, which is what causes cramps (they have also used it to induce labor!!) has a hand in bringing on skin problems. Just be careful when you take ANY anti-inflamatory drug and make SURE you take it with food. They can all cause ulcers. You have to be careful with them.

#6 Guest_been13years_*

Guest_been13years_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:09 AM

So wait- taking an NSAID or Celebrex can inhibit the thingie that causes premenstrual breakouts? I'm confused but excited.

#7 Guest_WolfPleb_*

Guest_WolfPleb_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:39 AM

QUOTE(been13years @ Aug 10 2006, 06:09 PM) View Post

So wait- taking an NSAID or Celebrex can inhibit the thingie that causes premenstrual breakouts? I'm confused but excited.

Celebrex might work, but hasn't been tested in clinical trials AFAIK.

#8 09rules

09rules

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 19
About Me

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:33 PM

I've been using aleve for cramps for ages... plus I take it whenever I feel a cyst coming on and it keeps it from getting big and ugly. Inhibiting the inflammatory response during the formation dramatically reduces the level of inflammation the lesion can attain.

Since my cysts and a lot of my acne is related to my periods, I've always thought about taking Aleve for the weeks before and during my period, but like you said the NSAIDs are great but there's the whole Aleve GI bleeding thang...

COX inhibitors are awesome (except seems like they can't figure the whole 1 vs. 2 thing out... inhibit both, you get the heart benefits but there's risk of GI problems... inhibit just 2 and you lose the cardiac benefits but also the GI problems... etc). My dad worked on Naproxen and Naproxen sodium back in the day. I also have some Naproxen 500mg tablets that I bust out once in a while... that stuff is magnificent.

P.S. Merek won another Vioxx case in California last week! Those money-grubbing folks can't blame their heart attacks on sporadic use of the drug, especially when they have a predisposition to cardiac problems. Sorry, that just made me happy.

#9 LionQueen

LionQueen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 August 2006 - 09:32 PM

I tried this out this month: Aleve twice a day during my PMS week. Worked quite well, I think, I saw only two teensy superficial zits pop up the whole week. I usually have much more trouble than that. Worth trying again, anyway.
Retired from Acne.org

#10 tdot

tdot

Meow

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 August 2006 - 09:52 AM

I take ibuprofen before bed when I can feel an undergrounder coming up, then I slather on the BP on that one spot, and I take a Zinc to help with healing... the next morning the pimple has calmed down alot.
One day...

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

#11 Guest_~Wolfy~_*

Guest_~Wolfy~_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 29 August 2006 - 10:08 AM

The other thing that's worth mentioning here is the Zone diet.

Dr. Sears claims that the Zone Diet modifies the levels of the same chemicals that aspirin and other COX inhibitors does.

The implication would appear to be that the zone diet might improve acne; and I have found that to be the case to a fair degree in the past, and the further I get from the zone, the worse my acne gets.

#12 *Rebecca*

*Rebecca*

Satur9, How I'd love to make you mine..

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 August 2006 - 10:22 AM

I only get premenstrual acne sad.gif makes me sad. So now when I see a few pimples I know I am going to get it sad.gif it just isn't fair. So if I drink green tea more often it would help with premenstrual acne?

#13 Guest_~Wolfy~_*

Guest_~Wolfy~_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 29 August 2006 - 12:09 PM

QUOTE(SmashingPumpkins @ Aug 29 2006, 05:22 PM) View Post

I only get premenstrual acne sad.gif makes me sad. So now when I see a few pimples I know I am going to get it sad.gif it just isn't fair. So if I drink green tea more often it would help with premenstrual acne?

It seems unlikely. If there was a big effect it would be well known by now- it's not like half of Asia drinks green tea. Oh! Wait!

Personally I've drunk a lot of green tea, and for whatever reason my skin pretty much hates it. Then again I'm a man, and I don't have premenstrual acne, so YMMV.

Green tea has caffeine in it, and I doubt that that helps any.

#14 LionQueen

LionQueen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:16 PM

For the second time, I'm going to try the Aleve 2x daily during PMS week.

#15 tricia

tricia

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 September 2006 - 11:20 AM

QUOTE(LionQueen @ Sep 13 2006, 07:16 PM) View Post

For the second time, I'm going to try the Aleve 2x daily during PMS week.

I am going to try this, I think my pms is starting this week. Ever since I got off the pill and since had a baby my pms breakouts are getting worse. I just haven't got around to getting back on the pill, so I will try this in the meantime and hope it works. I'll go with two a day for about a week.

#16 LionQueen

LionQueen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 October 2006 - 10:04 AM

bump

#17 Guest_~Wolfy~_*

Guest_~Wolfy~_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 16 December 2006 - 05:43 PM

Ibuprofen is a COX inhibitor which presumably hits both COX-2. The problem with it is that it's hard on the stomach of course since it inhibits COX-1 as well.

But topical ibuprofen is available... so it wouldn't go through the stomach.

I've been trying it out for a couple of weeks or so. It looks pretty promising.

Seems much more powerful than salicylic acid.

#18 LionQueen

LionQueen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 December 2006 - 04:30 PM

Where do you get topical ibuprofen? I've never seen it in pharmacies in the US (doesn't mean it's not there).
Retired from Acne.org

#19 Guest_~Wolfy~_*

Guest_~Wolfy~_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 27 December 2006 - 08:50 AM

QUOTE(LionQueen @ Dec 20 2006, 10:30 PM) View Post
Where do you get topical ibuprofen? I've never seen it in pharmacies in the US (doesn't mean it's not there).

It's just available in the supermarkets, on the shelf as a sports injury rub thing. Google seems to suggest it's newish but the tube I got was just the supermarket's own brand so there's apparently there's no patent on it in the UK atleast.

My current results suggest it gives pretty good symptomatic relief but doesn't seem to prevent new acne (but I've only been using it a couple of weeks.)