Photo

The Skin Type Solution

oily skin

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 LabGirl81

LabGirl81

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 11
About Me

Posted 17 March 2006 - 11:15 AM

This book it so neat. Okay, it's not written in a scientific veiw point , and there's so much more I'd like to know about. She is a derm, but she seems like she actually pays attention to the individual skin types of her patients and treats them accordingly not like my derm who thing antibiotics are the be-all end-all of acne treatment). I'd actually like to pick this woman's brain.

I bought it last night (I can put it on my expense account at work!!!). I found out that I'm an OSNT which means oily, sensitive, non-pigmneted (I turn pink, not brown, and I don't frekle in the sun), and tight (as opposed to wrinked....I've been told I look 10 years younger than I am....which isn't a good thing when your only 24).

The possibilities are Oily/Dry, Sensitive/ Resistant, Pigmented/ Non-Pigmented, and Tight/Wrinked.

People with acne are the Oily/Sensitive (OSXX) types. You can either be pigmented/non-pigmented or tight/wrinked. This explains why my mother had super oily skin, but never acne. She is probably ORPT (she's dark skinned and looks 10 years younger than she is). She's oily, but not sensitive. My father is most likely DSNW, the exact opposite of my mother, so no wonder my sister and I have acne but neither of our parents did. We got the sensitive component from our dad......

I think this puts a whole different spin on the way we should look at skincare, from treating acne to preventing aging, and what cosmetic procedures we should go for or avoid......

I'm off Accutane!!!!!

Six month course from 9/7/06 to 3/23/07......dosage ranged from 20mg a day to a whopping 120mg/day, giving a huge cumulitive dose of 262.5mg/kg.

I'm clear, but will be using Tazorac for maintnence (and to keep any wrinkles that want to come up at bay)......

So you want to see my acne and 'tane results??? Lab's Gallery

#2 cjb

cjb

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 March 2006 - 01:26 PM

Categories like that always frustrate me. I never fit into them. My skin tends toward dry (and I don't use any topicals), but I get acne. I'm never oily. I turn pink, but I get moles on my body. And I don't have any wrinkles, except for some smile lines by my eyes.
My regimen:

Eat regularly: a wide variety of vegetables, eggs, meat/fish, cheese, yogurt, butter, fruit, nuts/seeds.

Occasionally eat: beans, squash, potatoes.

Don't eat: sugar, grains, most processed food.

#3 cool as kim deal

cool as kim deal

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 16
About Me

Posted 17 March 2006 - 01:43 PM

I feel the same as cjb. My skin is very much combination, and I get acne even where it is really dry. I can't tan at all and just plain burn, but I have a lot of freckles and moles, as does my father. I'm too young to know about the wrinkling yet. While these categories have a certain logical pigeonholing appeal, I think it's pseudoscience and probably more useless than helpful in treating skin. I do agree that derms should think about your skin specifically when treating you, but I don't think these categories are particularly helpful.
Keeping me clear, morning and night: Acne.org Cleanser, Acne.org Jojoba Oil after cleansing but before BP all over face, 1 1/2 pumps of Acne.org benzoyl peroxide, Acne.org moisturizer (morning only), Banana Boat Baby Sunblock SPF 50 (morning only), JASON 5000 IU Vitamin E Revitalizing Moisturizing Cream around eyes only, Acne.org AHA+ Acne.org Salicylic Acid+ beta version (night only)<br />
<br />
My advice for Acne.org Regimen beginners - Using jojoba oil as a mask/scrub to remove flakes and moisturize dry skin - Summary of exfoliation methods to try with the regimen<br />
<br />
Not here as often anymore, so for the timeliest advice, post your questions on the forums for the whole community to help out with rather than contacting me directly :)

#4 amandakay_6

amandakay_6

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 March 2006 - 01:48 PM

I almost wrote about this book before it came out! I saw an article about it in Allure and it seemed very interesting. I think skin type is very important when it comes to acne problems. My skin is also oily and sensitive which makes it difficult to find good products. I can't use acne products (BP and SA) because they irriatate my skin so badly but I have a crazy amount of oil on my skin at all times which clogges up my pores. If the skin types in this book hold true, I think people should be grouped together on this board based on them.

Skin Status: Mild
Type of Acne: Mostly Papules and Pustules
Location of Acne: Random on Face

My Regimen:
Diet: Low Carb/Sugar
Products: Burt's Bees Soap Bark & Chamomile Deep Cleansing Cream and Clean&Clear Advantage Moisturizer
Basic Makeup: Joppa Minerals
Extra: Yasmin Birth Control, Zinc (50mg), Fish Oil (1000mg), and Multi-Vitamin

#5 LabGirl81

LabGirl81

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 March 2006 - 01:49 PM

QUOTE(cjb @ Mar 17 2006, 02:26 PM) View Post

Categories like that always frustrate me. I never fit into them. My skin tends toward dry (and I don't use any topicals), but I get acne. I'm never oily. I turn pink, but I get moles on my body. And I don't have any wrinkles, except for some smile lines by my eyes.

It's not really as cut and dry as you'd think. I'm an enigma when it comes to skin type too. I have a seroius case of hyperseborrhea, yet at times my skin can be flakey and show signs of surface dryness (like fine lines, not associated with the aging process, but cause by surface dehydration). Oh and I get acne too.....sometimes severe acne.

Moles have nothing to do with the pigmentation she's referring to. She actually referrs to the tendancy to develop sun spots, freckles, and hyperpigmentation marks from trauma (instead of redmarks you'd get brown marks). The wrinkling suntype doen't mean that you have wrinkes, it referrs to your tendancy to wrinkle (how you look for your age, your ethnicity, your parents and grandparents tendency to wrinkle, your skin color, and lifestyle habits like smoking, sunbathing and also your diet). A procedure like microdermabrasion or a chemical peel may not be suitable for someone who can develop hyperpigmentation due to irritation or trauma......

Oh and she's a derm who doesn't discount the ability for your diet to influence your skin.........

Instead of four skintypes there are 16.....
I'm off Accutane!!!!!

Six month course from 9/7/06 to 3/23/07......dosage ranged from 20mg a day to a whopping 120mg/day, giving a huge cumulitive dose of 262.5mg/kg.

I'm clear, but will be using Tazorac for maintnence (and to keep any wrinkles that want to come up at bay)......

#6 left210

left210

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 March 2006 - 03:36 PM

Labgirl,

I have read many of your posts and can see that you really have some knowledge when it comes to this stuff. I never really had too many wrinkles until I tried the BP a week or so ago. I aged like 10 years in 2 days and still trying to hydrate my face back to get rid of the wrinkles around my eyes and forehead. What do you recommend to use to hydrate this as quickly as possible. I have been using jojoba oil and can see a difference but would like something that will work much quicker. I dont like these wrinkles around my eyes - they are driving me crazy. My make up just seems to make them look worse.

Thanks so much.

#7 Kali

Kali

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 10
About Me

Posted 21 March 2006 - 10:07 PM

I got the book too and have read it. I agree with LabGirl the book has been SO helpful. I've already implemented some of the Dr's. suggestions with great success. I came out Oily/Sensitive/Pigmented/Wrinkled, but was borderline in the Pigmented/non-pigmented category. I just read the chapter on O/S/P/W AND the chapter on O/S/NP/W. I immediately knew what products I needed, and even found some products that were recommended overlapped in both categories. It sounds complicated, but really isn't at all. I just wish I would have started with the Retinols a long time ago! Check it out from the library and it doesn't cost any money. The product recs are really quite good and go from very inexpensive drugstore items to more costly products. At least I know what has a good formulation and what ingredients I should look for and stay away from. I got alot from reading it.

PS The wrinkled category reflects your skin's POTENTIAL for wrinkles in the future, not necessarily reflecting what your skin is like right now. I spent way too much time in the sun from age 13 right up through college and that's why I fall in the wrinkled category. Her product recs are geared toward keeping the wrinkle process from happening while addressing oiliness, acne, etc.

Also, her dry skin categories DO address acne and breakouts too.

#8 Foomph

Foomph

Fitness Goo Roo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 March 2006 - 11:26 PM

I must buy this book. Thanks LabGirl! wub.gif
Accutane Course #1: January 2004-July 2004
Accutane Course #2: December 1st 2006-April 29th 2007

#9 potatoes

potatoes

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 March 2006 - 11:52 PM

I saw this on TV a few days ago! I wanted to post about it also but I have not read the book. I'm gonna check it out tomorrow at B&N.

#10 gelica

gelica

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 March 2006 - 12:37 PM

I thought this book was interesting too. I checked it out from the library and wrote little notes like the dork that I am. Her skin typing is cool because it's not just the 4 categories that you expect, like some of you were saying. Like, if you have sensitive skin and use products geared toward sensitive skin, they might flare up acne because they are really formulated for people with dry and sensitive skin, not oily. While it didn't offer too many new suggestions as far as treatments and products (I feel like I have tried everything, like most people on here), it was sort of uplifting to take the quiz that determines your type (I'm an Oily Sensitive Nonpigmented Tight) and actually relate to the chapter devoted to that type. I was surprised that it clicked so well, really. Especially about flushing and turning red easily. redface.gif

#11 LabGirl81

LabGirl81

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 March 2006 - 04:00 PM

QUOTE(gelica @ Mar 26 2006, 01:37 PM) View Post

........was sort of uplifting to take the quiz that determines your type (I'm an Oily Sensitive Nonpigmented Tight) and actually relate to the chapter devoted to that type.

Hey just like me.....
I'm off Accutane!!!!!

#12 Takara

Takara

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 March 2006 - 05:08 PM

On this page you can click on your skin type (if you know it) and it will show you what products are recommended for you.

http://www.baumannstore.com/

#13 eliza66

eliza66

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:00 PM

Hi
I bought this book a few weeks ago and it is fantastic --- I've recommended it to everyone I know. The plan for my skin is what I have been following after much trial and error. It is working for me and I've used the book to help my husband's rosecea. I suffered from acne for 15years and am now clear as a result of PDT - photodynamic therapy (blue U light with a topical drug called Levulan). My skin type is OSPT and I am using the maintainance plan in the book to keep things clear. Good Luck.

#14 discharge51

discharge51

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 April 2006 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE(LabGirl81 @ Mar 17 2006, 12:15 PM) View Post

This book it so neat. Okay, it's not written in a scientific veiw point , and there's so much more I'd like to know about. She is a derm, but she seems like she actually pays attention to the individual skin types of her patients and treats them accordingly not like my derm who thing antibiotics are the be-all end-all of acne treatment). I'd actually like to pick this woman's brain.

I bought it last night (I can put it on my expense account at work!!!). I found out that I'm an OSNT which means oily, sensitive, non-pigmneted (I turn pink, not brown, and I don't frekle in the sun), and tight (as opposed to wrinked....I've been told I look 10 years younger than I am....which isn't a good thing when your only 24).

The possibilities are Oily/Dry, Sensitive/ Resistant, Pigmented/ Non-Pigmented, and Tight/Wrinked.

People with acne are the Oily/Sensitive (OSXX) types. You can either be pigmented/non-pigmented or tight/wrinked. This explains why my mother had super oily skin, but never acne. She is probably ORPT (she's dark skinned and looks 10 years younger than she is). She's oily, but not sensitive. My father is most likely DSNW, the exact opposite of my mother, so no wonder my sister and I have acne but neither of our parents did. We got the sensitive component from our dad......

I think this puts a whole different spin on the way we should look at skincare, from treating acne to preventing aging, and what cosmetic procedures we should go for or avoid......

HI labgirl81, I'm a relatively new member on the forum...new as in i've been away for a while.
you seem like you really know what's going on and i'm looking for an answer for a couple of questions..wondering if you can answer me?

this is my condition: I have oily nose and large pores with some inflammation around and on the nose but my cheeks are dry..so i think i'm combination skin type. basically my nose is the only real problem area.

I have bought the skin type solution too and i was wondering about the pigmented/nonpigmented section...
In the questionaire it asks if you get brown/black spots. The thing is that I get PINK spots after trauma or when a pimple heals and not BROWN/BLACK spots or patchs. These pink spots or patches(I think you said you have them too) can take me months to heal. Does that mean i'm pigmented or non-pigmented?

the other confusion i found was with the oily skin/dry skin type questionaire because
some questions ask if your cheeks(or PART of the face only) are dry or shiny while other questions asks if your ENTIRE face is shiny, dry, tight etc.. basically the questions shift from parts of the face to the whole face..so i'm not sure how to answer them..maybe i'm overanalyzing.

Overall, i think the book is good but i also think it's pretty confusing on some of the questions so i'm paranoid that i'll pick the wrong skin type
any help would be nice
thanks!

#15 LabGirl81

LabGirl81

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 April 2006 - 09:19 PM

QUOTE(discharge51 @ Apr 2 2006, 10:58 PM) View Post

HI labgirl81, I'm a relatively new member on the forum...new as in i've been away for a while.
you seem like you really know what's going on and i'm looking for an answer for a couple of questions..wondering if you can answer me?

this is my condition: I have oily nose and large pores with some inflammation around and on the nose but my cheeks are dry..so i think i'm combination skin type. basically my nose is the only real problem area.

I have bought the skin type solution too and i was wondering about the pigmented/nonpigmented section...
In the questionaire it asks if you get brown/black spots. The thing is that I get PINK spots after trauma or when a pimple heals and not BROWN/BLACK spots or patchs. These pink spots or patches(I think you said you have them too) can take me months to heal. Does that mean i'm pigmented or non-pigmented?

the other confusion i found was with the oily skin/dry skin type questionaire because
some questions ask if your cheeks(or PART of the face only) are dry or shiny while other questions asks if your ENTIRE face is shiny, dry, tight etc.. basically the questions shift from parts of the face to the whole face..so i'm not sure how to answer them..maybe i'm overanalyzing.

Overall, i think the book is good but i also think it's pretty confusing on some of the questions so i'm paranoid that i'll pick the wrong skin type
any help would be nice
thanks!

If you get pink or red marks and are fair skinned and don't have freckels then you are most likely non-pigmented. A red mark is called a macule and isn't caused by hyperpigmentation. About the oily/dry skin type....if your nose and t-zone get oily, then you have oily skin. You may just fall into the "oily" catagory rather then the "very oily" catagory (My score for that part was 44/44...I can't be any more oily). You can be oily and dry at the same time. You can have oily skin with a dehydrated surface (too much oil can actually lead to surface dehydration)......in this case you might say you have combination skin, but combuination skin can just mean that you have different "types" of skin on your face. You can be oily/normal, oily/dry, or normal/dry......

Chances are if your t-zone if oily and you have large pores, you'll fall into the oily subtype......

If you have inflammation near your nose you are probably the sensitive type....actually that inflammation can be a symptom of rosacea.......
I'm off Accutane!!!!!

#16 discharge51

discharge51

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2006 - 03:31 PM

QUOTE(LabGirl81 @ Apr 2 2006, 11:19 PM) View Post

QUOTE(discharge51 @ Apr 2 2006, 10:58 PM) View Post

any help would be nice
thanks!

If you get pink or red marks and are fair skinned and don't have freckels then you are most likely non-pigmented. A red mark is called a macule and isn't caused by hyperpigmentation. About the oily/dry skin type....if your nose and t-zone get oily, then you have oily skin. You may just fall into the "oily" catagory rather then the "very oily" catagory (My score for that part was 34/34...I can't be any more oily). You can be oily and dry at the same time. You can have oily skin with a dehydrated surface (too much oil can actually lead to surface dehydration)......in this case you might say you have combination skin, but combuination skin can just mean that you have different "types" of skin on your face. You can be oily/normal, oily/dry, or normal/dry......

Chances are if your t-zone if oily and you have large pores, you'll fall into the oily subtype......

If you have inflammation near your nose you are probably the sensitive type....actually that inflammation can be a symptom of rosacea.......

Thanks for the quick reply LabGirl81,

I'm only beginning to understand what's happening.
So leslie means "dark spots" = melasma, lentigos and feckles i think.
i do have a couple of small moles on the face(small dark brown spots)..but they do not get worse with the sun..or i haven't noticed. I also don't get a lot of them..i only have like a handful on my face and i'm in my mid twenties. biggest is like 2mm, most are 1mm or less.

Her book on page 413 says most asians are DRPT or DSPT, and says that most Asians are D when they think they are O..which messes with my mind because I'm a light skinned Asian..i'm pretty sure i have combo skin...although my forehead ISN"T for some reason..can you have an oily nose only(and not forehead) in a combination skin type?

My nose is oily and has large pores but also broken capilliaries from harsh scrubbing, exfoliating and using abrasive products(basically bad experiments).So i'm guessing my nose is oily because of all the abuse i gave it..is this what you mean by surface dehydration? the dead skin builds up a fair bit quicker around and on the the nose area..hence the large pores.SO yeah i thought i had rosacea a couple of years ago, but the derm told me that rosacea usu. doesn't occur in Asians.

sorry if i'm annoying you with too many questions, it's just that i want help and you are replying.
has the book worked for you personally? or are you doing the regimen?

#17 LabGirl81

LabGirl81

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2006 - 04:35 PM

QUOTE(discharge51 @ Apr 3 2006, 05:31 PM) View Post

i do have a couple of small moles on the face(small dark brown spots)..but they do not get worse with the sun..or i haven't noticed. I also don't get a lot of them..i only have like a handful on my face and i'm in my mid twenties. biggest is like 2mm, most are 1mm or less.

Her book on page 413 says most asians are DRPT or DSPT, and says that most Asians are D when they think they are O..which messes with my mind because I'm a light skinned Asian..i'm pretty sure i have combo skin...although my forehead ISN"T for some reason..can you have an oily nose only(and not forehead) in a combination skin type?

My nose is oily and has large pores but also broken capilliaries from harsh scrubbing, exfoliating and using abrasive products(basically bad experiments).So i'm guessing my nose is oily because of all the abuse i gave it..is this what you mean by surface dehydration? the dead skin builds up a fair bit quicker around and on the the nose area..hence the large pores.SO yeah i thought i had rosacea a couple of years ago, but the derm told me that rosacea usu. doesn't occur in Asians.

sorry if i'm annoying you with too many questions, it's just that i want help and you are replying.

Hmmm......you are non pigmented Asian. That is rare. Asian skin usually has the tendancy to develop hyperpigmnetation in response to trauma, be it acne marks or sundamage, even fair Asian skin. What is you nationality if you don't ming me asking?.....Oh and having small moles doesn't make you pigmented. My boyfriend is covered in moles, some are over 6mm in diameter, but his skin is so very fair and sensitive.....he turns oink with the slightest touch, and he can't even suntan, let alone develop freckles or hyperpigmentation marks......

If your Asian you probably won't ever suffer from rosacea. You could have dry skin that's not very dry but closer to the oily side, or oily skin that's on the dry side. You could be both depending on season. In the summer you may be oily and in the winter you may be dry.....thus you'd need two different regimens.....You can have just an oily nose. That's where the greatest number of sebaceous glands are located. Since your forehead isn't dry....and just your nose....I'd treat your skin as if you had dry skin....for right now anyway.........

You are probably a DSNT actually......since you don't get dark marks from pimples or tauma, but rather pink or red marks that just fade away over time.......I'm an OSNT.....My oily score was 44/44....so I have no doubt in my mind that I'm oily.....and I didn't need a book to tell me so.....

I am currently not on any regimen. I'm in between regimens for the time being, and I'm currently in the middle of a bet with my coworker as to weather or not washing my face with Ivory soap three times a day will cure my oily skin and acne....She says in Russia that no one every had oly skin or acne and everyone used Ivory soap....so it should prevent my oily skin and cure my acne.....So far I'm winning.....

I have moderate acne right now, but soon it may become severe. I had cystic acne last summer, but a breif stint on the Regimen cleared up some of the nasty and inflammatory stuff (by killed my skin in the process). I got a little extra help form a derm. I used topical retinoids and topical antibioitcs and cleard up a little buit more, but I started breaking out again a couple months ago....I just gave up and quit all my topicals and I came off my birth control pills.....I'm just letting my skin do it's thing for a few months, then I'll go to a new derm and request Accutane....my derm won't give it to me without me first being on several antibiotics, which I refuse to take.....

My acne is scarring and I know I'm not going to grow out of it.....I'm in my mid twenties too......

I think that book is pretty cool, but it wasn't written with people who have more than mild acne in mind.....

Once I'm clear (after tane) I'll follow her advice for my OSNT skin type.....
I'm off Accutane!!!!!

#18 mandyizzy

mandyizzy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2006 - 08:17 PM

Hmmm. Interesting book i must say. One thing I am so unsure of is the pigmented/non pigmented catergory. I am truly a unique there. LOL! First of all I come up with OSNW.....

Ok heres the thing. I got a score of borderline non pigmented. Funny thing is that I have extrememley fair skin that burns and then tans, but I also have freckeles and not the common red hair that goes with them. I am a natural brunette. So, I am not exactly sure which way I should go with - Pigmented or Non??? Any advice???

#19 discharge51

discharge51

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 April 2006 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE(LabGirl81 @ Apr 3 2006, 06:35 PM) View Post

QUOTE(discharge51 @ Apr 3 2006, 05:31 PM) View Post

Hmmm......you are non pigmented Asian. That is rare. Asian skin usually has the tendancy to develop hyperpigmnetation in response to trauma, be it acne marks or sundamage, even fair Asian skin. What is you nationality if you don't ming me asking?.....Oh and having small moles doesn't make you pigmented. My boyfriend is covered in moles, some are over 6mm in diameter, but his skin is so very fair and sensitive.....he turns oink with the slightest touch, and he can't even suntan, let alone develop freckles or hyperpigmentation marks......

If your Asian you probably won't ever suffer from rosacea. You could have dry skin that's not very dry but closer to the oily side, or oily skin that's on the dry side. You could be both depending on season. In the summer you may be oily and in the winter you may be dry.....thus you'd need two different regimens.....You can have just an oily nose. That's where the greatest number of sebaceous glands are located. Since your forehead isn't dry....and just your nose....I'd treat your skin as if you had dry skin....for right now anyway.........

You are probably a DSNT actually......since you don't get dark marks from pimples or tauma, but rather pink or red marks that just fade away over time.......I'm an OSNT.....My oily score was 44/44....so I have no doubt in my mind that I'm oily.....and I didn't need a book to tell me so.....

I am currently not on any regimen. I'm in between regimens for the time being, and I'm currently in the middle of a bet with my coworker as to weather or not washing my face with Ivory soap three times a day will cure my oily skin and acne....She says in Russia that no one every had oly skin or acne and everyone used Ivory soap....so it should prevent my oily skin and cure my acne.....So far I'm winning.....

I have moderate acne right now, but soon it may become severe. I had cystic acne last summer, but a breif stint on the Regimen cleared up some of the nasty and inflammatory stuff (by killed my skin in the process). I got a little extra help form a derm. I used topical retinoids and topical antibioitcs and cleard up a little buit more, but I started breaking out again a couple months ago....I just gave up and quit all my topicals and I came off my birth control pills.....I'm just letting my skin do it's thing for a few months, then I'll go to a new derm and request Accutane....my derm won't give it to me without me first being on several antibiotics, which I refuse to take.....

My acne is scarring and I know I'm not going to grow out of it.....I'm in my mid twenties too......

I think that book is pretty cool, but it wasn't written with people who have more than mild acne in mind.....

Once I'm clear (after tane) I'll follow her advice for my OSNT skin type.....

maybe i do but i'm just elusive/ninja-like. I'm been wearing a cap for about a decade and i don't go in the sun too much unless it's the ocasional sports with my friends. then again i don't put sunscreen on my face(too lazy)
I'm not super light but i guess lighter than the average Asian maybe.
I'm Chinese(both parents are Chinese), so i guess i'm not a rare breed:)
Actually if i think clearly, i remember getting one or two(of the couple) of the moles on my face over time..so maybe i am pigmented..but not as much so..considering the cap and all and limited exposure.
DSNT? i'm not sure..my results give me OSNT or OSPT depending how i answer the qs.
But i'll read all three chapters to see what i can get.

44/44? or you mean 34/44?
haha, that's a wacky bet, pretty bruutal.
i see, so is cystic acne the main problem for you these past couple of years?
have you taken accutane before? might want to consider any side effects.
either way, i hope for the best

#20 LabGirl81

LabGirl81

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 April 2006 - 09:20 PM

QUOTE(discharge51 @ Apr 4 2006, 10:51 PM) View Post

maybe i do but i'm just elusive/ninja-like. I'm been wearing a cap for about a decade and i don't go in the sun too much unless it's the ocasional sports with my friends. then again i don't put sunscreen on my face(too lazy)
I'm not super light but i guess lighter than the average Asian maybe.
I'm Chinese(both parents are Chinese), so i guess i'm not a rare breed:)
Actually if i think clearly, i remember getting one or two(of the couple) of the moles on my face over time..so maybe i am pigmented..but not as much so..considering the cap and all and limited exposure.
DSNT? i'm not sure..my results give me OSNT or OSPT depending how i answer the qs.
But i'll read all three chapters to see what i can get.

If you answered the questions and came out an O type then you proabably are oily. Since you are 100% Asian, even though you are fair you may be pigmented after all, and if you don't spend much time in the sun or have much sun damage, you might now show any pigmentation spots at all......I may be wrong but that type of complexion if favored in far Asian cultures, the lighter the better....there's a whole market over there full of "whitening" products.....to counteract the tendancy that asian skin has to have issues with hyperpigmentation. ......you may just be slightly pigmented, but I'd still follow a pigmented regimen since you have Asian skin......It may change as you age.....and in Asians, that is one of the more prevalent signs of aging....and even more bothersome to them then wrinkes are....

But that's over there.....I have Asian friends that go tanning.....

QUOTE(discharge51 @ Apr 4 2006, 10:51 PM) View Post

44/44? or you mean 34/44?
haha, that's a wacky bet, pretty bruutal.
i see, so is cystic acne the main problem for you these past couple of years?
have you taken accutane before? might want to consider any side effects.
either way, i hope for the best

I was actually a 44/44....not 34/34 (I didn't look at the book and tried to remember my score off the top of my head....I knew it was the maximum score....and it had a 4 in it....)

I'm super oily....and cystic acne was a problem for me.....but only last year....
I went to a derm, butI refuse to take antibiotics for acne (they think I'm crazy....or I'm like a masochist....but I just don't want a six month long yeast infection, and all the side effects that come with the antibiotics)......plus I'm 24 years old.....I'm an adult that won't grow out of it....so antibiotics just delay the enividable.....the bacteria become resistant pretty easily.....

So my acne isn't "cystic" today although I do have 2 active cysts....it's mostly pustular/papular moderate acne with the occasional rouge cyst....without treatment during the summer it can easily go from moderate to severe......

I have considered Accutane, and it's my best shot at at least a few years of clarity....but it's hard to get a derm to prescribe it when you've never taken antibiotics.......

I need to find a new derm and tell him that I've tried every antibiotic and topical under the sun....and that nothing works.....I don't want to lie, but I may have to.......
I'm off Accutane!!!!!