What has worked for me: SEA SALT

426 replies to this topic

#41 whitershadeofpale

whitershadeofpale

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 March 2006 - 08:27 PM

You know, everytime I go to the beach and swim, my face ALWAYS clears up........

I think you may have something here...perhaps it's all the minerals contained in the salt?
My regimen:

.Low Glycemic Diet
.ANYTHING high in sugar will make me break out

Skincare:

.MD Forte
.Alpha hydrox
.Proactiv Toner

#42 Kimberlyann

Kimberlyann

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 March 2006 - 10:56 PM

This may seem a stupid question. But what is the difference between regular salt and sea salt? What about using kosher salt instead?

#43 relieved

relieved

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 March 2006 - 08:07 PM

For what it's worth--I found a 29 oz. container of sea salt at the 99-cent store yesterday. The brand is Baja Fresh--iodized fine crystals. They only had one container, but at least I know they stock it. You may want to investigate local dollar stores.

#44 kathryn

kathryn

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 23 March 2006 - 11:24 AM

ok i am starting this regimen today, I have bought 1kg of Saxa Coarse Sea Salt it says it's completely unrefined, natural, no additives etc so should be ok. I am going to do as follows:
- Have a salt bath once a day. I get bit of acne on chest not much though, get eczema on back, hopefully it will help that aswell?
- main acne problem is on my face, i am either just going to keep rinsing my face with salt water, or use cotton wool dabbed in the salt water, i havent decided

I will update with my progress. wish me luck!

#45 treyska

treyska

hey, it's that guy!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 8
About Me

Posted 23 March 2006 - 01:51 PM

QUOTE(kathryn @ Mar 23 2006, 12:24 PM) View Post

ok i am starting this regimen today, I have bought 1kg of Saxa Coarse Sea Salt it says it's completely unrefined, natural, no additives etc so should be ok. I am going to do as follows:
- Have a salt bath once a day. I get bit of acne on chest not much though, get eczema on back, hopefully it will help that aswell?
- main acne problem is on my face, i am either just going to keep rinsing my face with salt water, or use cotton wool dabbed in the salt water, i havent decided

good luck!
my regimen:

MORNING:
x - shower with NO SOAP on acne areas
x - Neutrogena Body Clear Body Wash SA-based cleanser
x - Clearasil 2% SA Moisturizer

EVENING:
x - bathe in bathtub -2cups sea salt, 1cup baking soda (every few days)
x - shower with NO SOAP on acne areas (if needed)
x - Neutrogena Body Clear Body Wash SA-based cleanser
x - Neutrogena BP Cleanser
x - Neutrogena BP Cream - GENEROUS amounts.

#46 noteworthy

noteworthy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 March 2006 - 03:13 PM

QUOTE(kathryn @ Mar 23 2006, 09:24 AM) View Post

good luck. im going to try too asap.

#47 noteworthy

noteworthy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 March 2006 - 05:35 PM

okay i dont know if this is a problem or what, like its too good to be true. so here it goes...

so im searching the net, sea salt goes for around 60 dollars for 50lbs in the us, that bulkfoods.com place online, but i decide to check the yellow pages for anything. i called all the beauty supply places, the bath places, salons, etc searching the yellow pages with no luck, a couple oz here and there but no 50lbs damnit. then i look under salt and find a place called southbay salt works. i check online for it but nothing so i guess its just a small business...

living in san diego i realize that this is where they actually make they're own salt and sell them to distributors. heres the phonecall, somewhat...

i ask for "are u guys a store that sells sea salt" they say "yeah, right by the ocean, we make our own."

i say "is it natural sea salt with nothing added like fragrances and stuff?" he says "we just evaporate it and sell it."

i say "right... this could be used for baths and spas correct?" he says "yeah, people buy it for that."

i ask "how much does it cost, because im looking for a large quantity, like 50lbs.." he says "we have a small, medium, and large bag, the large is around 50lbs, it costs like 5 bucks..." shock.gif eusa_think.gif

i say "5 dollars? thats pretty cheap, ive been looking online and they sell the stuff for 60+..." he says "we sell them to different companies, since we make our own we sell them cheap. plus our stuff is better because it comes straight from the pacific. people buy them for taking baths, for caluses(sp?), muscle aches, ACNE(i didn't even mention acne to him, only baths), etc..."

i ask "you guys take credit cards right(i have no cash on me)" he says "well....(short pause)...cash is always better"

i say "alright, what time do u close, address, etc bye blah blah..."

so my question is, (sorry for the long post btw), do you think this is legit? ratherbesurfing, ur from the westcoast, i think, do u approve? i know i have nothing to lose plus its only 5 boodles so yeah im just confused, they dont even have a website and they prefer cash. hmm... so i'll just wait for replies...
like i said, compared to the other prices you guys look up, this seems too good to be true... lets hope

#48 SebastianC

SebastianC

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:36 PM

noteworthy, if that's true and if they have a good product, I will order their 50 pounds bag from Canada biggrin.gif

Actually, I have a pretty good deal. My natural products store will sell me a 10 KG bag (22 pounds) for 11 Canadian dollars (~8 American) + taxes.

note: sea salts keeps improving my skin. I tried Nizoral on my right shoulder and upper arm ( I have acne on my back, shoulders and upper arms). Usually my Right shoulder is a bit worse than my Left one but since I applied Nizoral on the former to see the difference (just once so far..well... right now I'm sitting with the second dose), my Right shoulder has become the better off shoulder, so RatherBeSurfing might be on something with Pityrosporum Folliculitis and Ketoconazole. I'll keep you informed.

#49 noteworthy

noteworthy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 March 2006 - 08:49 PM

thank you sir

#50 RatherBeSurfing

RatherBeSurfing

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 March 2006 - 05:49 AM

Noteworthy-
Since we typically buy very small amounts from retail stores...at about 10 cents an ounce.....it only makes sense that a distributor would sell it cheaper....and a manufacturer would sell it even cheaper.....give it a shot and let us know.

SebastianC-
Good to hear about your results......I am astonished by the results of the Nizoral.....it is still very early, but I have never been so encouraged by the results of anything I have tested.

**I am currently using Nizoral daily and one salt bath every other day.

#51 Charles Lee

Charles Lee

Understand

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 March 2006 - 10:29 AM

I've been trying this for a couple days now, is it supposed to get worse before it gets better, or am I in trouble...
[sig-img:95]

#52 RatherBeSurfing

RatherBeSurfing

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 March 2006 - 12:30 PM

Charles-

I posted early on....it was a process for me, not an event....

When I started I was in the midst of a very bad breakout and during the first week I noticed some areas were improving, while others were just starting to come to the surface....it was during the second week I felt that I really had begun to see an overall improvement. I did not post until week eight as I have experienced similiar improvements, only to have them reverse after a week or two.

I think we all can tell when we have an allergic reaction to something.....it comes quickly and is very bad......if you feel like you are having an allergic reaction then STOP IMMEDIATELY.

If it is just more of the same.....meaning a bad breakout continuing....I would give it sometime....but watch it closely......stop exfoliating.....be gentle.

Once again, unless it is an allergic reaction, you can not come to a sound conclusion over a few days time....

#53 SebastianC

SebastianC

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 March 2006 - 09:42 PM

My improvements came very fast, I saw a difference already after one day, while the second day I was sure it was better. Nevertheless, even if my skin keeps improving, I've had some breakouts as well. Acne has cycles and it is possible you started the sea salt solution during the beginning or peak of your acne cycle. Give it at least 2-3 weeks.

#54 Charles Lee

Charles Lee

Understand

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 March 2006 - 10:42 AM

Yea, you were totally right, it was just at the height of a breakout, hopefully my last, that huge cyst I had on my back, gone in two days. WTF?!?! Why didn't I know about this earlier!!!!!

#55 noteworthy

noteworthy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 March 2006 - 03:36 PM

QUOTE(Charles Lee @ Mar 25 2006, 08:42 AM) View Post

Yea, you were totally right, it was just at the height of a breakout, hopefully my last, that huge cyst I had on my back, gone in two days. WTF?!?! Why didn't I know about this earlier!!!!!

alright cool more updates smile.gif wish i could start today but the salt store is closed on the weekends. i think i might head over to walgreens or walmart and pick up some sea salt from there for now and probably some nizoral.

edit: came back from the store with 60oz of sea salt for $3.50 and nizoral for $10. currently testing out my bathtub drain stopper plug thing...
on a funny note, the cute cashier girl asked what i was gonna do with that much sea salt and whats it for, i paused thinking "do i tell her its for a bath?" and just said "umm to cook?" then we both laughed.

#56 wantingtobeclear

wantingtobeclear

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 March 2006 - 08:57 PM

did anyone ever find out if the sea salt corrodes bathtubs?

I know this sounds stupid but how do you soak your face? Do you just submerge you face under water for short periods of time?

Congrats on the clearing skin. I'm really looking foward to trying this and hoping that it works
Currently Regimen: Proactiv

#57 SebastianC

SebastianC

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 March 2006 - 10:08 PM

I don't have acne on my face but I submerge myself and let just the nose out. I can even stay 30 minutes like that.

QUOTE(RatherBeSurfing @ Mar 20 2006, 09:51 AM) View Post

Observation:
Remaining occasional breakouts were focused on borders of hair......on face, back of neck, underarm, and inner thigh.....first thing came to mind is longtime assumption that I had some sort of folliculitis.

Next Step:
Researched the subject.....and found a medical paper on eMedicine.com (http://www.emedicine.com/DERM/topic338.htm) that said "Pityrosforum Folliculitis" is regularly misdiagnosed as acne......and is successfully treated with a chemical known as "Ketoconazole", the main ingredient in a dandruff shampoo called "Nizoral". Over-the-Counter is 1% strength and sold at Target, Walgreens, etc....it comes stronger with a prescription. Bought it and have been using as a shower gel.....letting it sit on my body for 5 minutes before washing off.

The Nizoral I have has 2% Ketoconazole eusa_think.gif

#58 zxcv

zxcv

beh

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 8
About Me

Posted 25 March 2006 - 10:15 PM

Do you really have to use 30 ounces?.. Nearly 4 cups? Would it work just as well with say one or two cups? Also, you take the bath everyday?

#59 Charles Lee

Charles Lee

Understand

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 March 2006 - 10:48 PM

Salt is fine on tile, but not good for the piping, make sure to do a water rinse of your pipes afterwards!

#60 RatherBeSurfing

RatherBeSurfing

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 March 2006 - 04:25 AM

QUOTE(zxcv @ Mar 25 2006, 11:15 PM) View Post

Do you really have to use 30 ounces?.. Nearly 4 cups? Would it work just as well with say one or two cups? Also, you take the bath everyday?

As far as the 30 ounces go......I calculated it by how the water tasted.....I was trying to duplicate the salinity of ocean water.....I am sure you could go with less......

For the first couple weeks I took salt baths twice a day, then daily for a couple weeks, and now I am taking them once a day about every other day

QUOTE(SebastianC @ Mar 25 2006, 11:08 PM) View Post

I don't have acne on my face but I submerge myself and let just the nose out. I can even stay 30 minutes like that.

QUOTE(RatherBeSurfing @ Mar 20 2006, 09:51 AM) View Post

Observation:
Remaining occasional breakouts were focused on borders of hair......on face, back of neck, underarm, and inner thigh.....first thing came to mind is longtime assumption that I had some sort of folliculitis.

Next Step:
Researched the subject.....and found a medical paper on eMedicine.com (http://www.emedicine.com/DERM/topic338.htm) that said "Pityrosforum Folliculitis" is regularly misdiagnosed as acne......and is successfully treated with a chemical known as "Ketoconazole", the main ingredient in a dandruff shampoo called "Nizoral". Over-the-Counter is 1% strength and sold at Target, Walgreens, etc....it comes stronger with a prescription. Bought it and have been using as a shower gel.....letting it sit on my body for 5 minutes before washing off.

The Nizoral I have has 2% Ketoconazole eusa_think.gif

Canada sells it over the counter in 2% strength......in the US it is 1%.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users