424 replies to this topic

#21 noteworthy

noteworthy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 March 2006 - 07:15 PM

I have yet to stop since I began.

With reduced use of sea salt, widespread breakouts have not comeback.

I have had a few small individual blemishes from time to time, but nothing more (and they heal very quickly).

======================

considering youve had acne for so long im guessing you had body scarring as well. does this technique help with body scarring/red marks (typically in my upper back area where im covered in them)? eusa_pray.gif

#22 SebastianC

SebastianC

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 March 2006 - 07:38 PM

It's been only a week and a half and I already see a huge improvement. Yesterday I tried Sea Salt with Essential Oils (Eucalyptus and Menthol), it's a special brand sold at Jean-Coutu (local drug store chain). It seems to have worked slightly better than the regular Sea Salt but it can also be the fact that my skin is improving more and more.

As for the scars, mine are fading (I had acne since I was 16).

#23 noteworthy

noteworthy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 March 2006 - 07:43 PM

did u say fading???? how much percent did you see improvement? cuz ive had acne and body scars since i was 16 too and im 21 now. my bacne has been posponed i think due to the salicyclic acid ive been using but those spots(scars/redmarks) just seem to wanna stay there. ive been working out hard for the past 2 years and i wanna be part of summer damnit evil.gif

#24 SebastianC

SebastianC

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 March 2006 - 07:51 PM

Scar wise, I see something between 40-60% of fading. As for the acne itself, it is 60-70% better and keeps improving everyday.

Usually when I wake up in the morning I check up my back and it's almost as if I don't have acne (the skin looks much nicer in the morning, probably because the circulation doesn't start right away). Some days I wonder how clean I am in the morning, and it's been only a week and a half.

#25 noteworthy

noteworthy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 March 2006 - 08:00 PM

wow so basically your saying that if i do this and get the same results your getting (God willing) that i could be redmark/scar free by summer?!? i know im reaching but damn those are pretty good results. thanks for your input bro biggrin.gif

oh yeah and if you dont mind, how old are you now how bad was your bacne? mild/moderate/severe?

#26 treyska

treyska

hey, it's that guy!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 8
About Me

Posted 19 March 2006 - 09:22 PM

im really wanting to try this.. except i just started some sort of a regimen the other day. i should probably give what i'm doing right now a couple more weeks until i try the sea salt method, but im really intrigued

#27 SebastianC

SebastianC

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 March 2006 - 10:20 PM

QUOTE(noteworthy @ Mar 19 2006, 10:00 PM) View Post

wow so basically your saying that if i do this and get the same results your getting (God willing) that i could be redmark/scar free by summer?!? i know im reaching but damn those are pretty good results. thanks for your input bro biggrin.gif

oh yeah and if you dont mind, how old are you now how bad was your bacne? mild/moderate/severe?

I'm not sure about the red marks and I'm not sure whether acne, scars & co. disappear completely. I haven't reached that point yet, but I can tell you sea salt helps a lot. Nevertheless, according to RatherBeSurfing, the starter of this thread, his acne, scars and red marks are completely gone. So in the meanwhile you can trust him.

I'm 25, going for 26 this Summer. I had acne since I was 16. At 17-18 went to the dermatologist. He was amazed by my bacne (and he's considered one of the best in North America). He never told me the degree of my condition, but by the look of his face when he saw my back, his subsequent actions and the pictures I saw on this forum, I had a case of moderate/severe acne. Probably more severe than moderate. He first gave me a topical lotion which helped very little. Then he prescribed Accutane right away. I was supposed to be on it for 4 months but because of a missunderstanding I took it for 7 months. My back dried up but the scars were terrible. Unfortunately, the acne came back after 8-9 months. It never came as strong as before, but it was still ugly and unpleasant (about 80-90% of what it was initially).

Since I took the strongest medication available to men, I gave up and thought that all I can do is wait for my bacne to go away with age or to live with it for the rest of my life. The only thing that made it better were periods or relaxation and sunlight/tanning. Until I tried sea salt.

--------------------------

One question for RatherBeSurfing: how do you exfoliate your back in the tub? For how long and how do you reach your back?

#28 WantItGone

WantItGone

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2006 - 01:57 AM

A few questions. The only thing I found at the super market was Morton's sea salt and it was $2.49 per 17 oz. That doesn't bother me for now, but I would like to get the cost down to AT least the $1.50 that was said before. Where are you finding this? I really haven't got the time to go hunting for it, and I suspect the cost is going to be the same at about every supermarket.

I live in Florida.

Also, when you say 15 oz. that is by weight correct. So are you just approximating. How is that relative to cups or did you not do that coversion. Seems to be a lot of work to do an appoximation based on the quoted total weight of the poduct in the container every time. Unless you have a scale. I guess I can do that myself, and just figure out the cups/oz ratio or the density of sea salt.

Also, has anybody tried epsom salt. That seems to be used by others and is far easier to buy in large bulk quantities. However, in the interest of finding something that actually works, Id just rather find a cheaper way to get the sea salt.

For me, the problem really seems to be random. It will not be a problem for awhike then come back. When I went to the beach all the time, I never had a problem. Also, when I go to the beach and get some sun and swim around a bit, it definately makes a huge difference. This would be sweet if all I had to do was take a relaxing bath for 30 minutes at night to make a difference. Man that would be great. Thanks in advance.

Edit: I found this site for bulk ordering. I guess it isn't relevant whether it is fine, coarse, extra coarse etc... since it is going to be dissolved.
http://www.bulkfoods...chParamTxt=4455
So 57$ for 50 pounds seems pretty cheap. That includes shipping, which at approximately 1lb of salt per bath it brings the cost down to about $30 a month.

Also, what kind of a synthetic brush are you using and how are you exfoliating on your back and for how long. Same question as above. Sounds like I could emulate the swimming at the beach sans the sun without the exfoliation. Might not be needed in my case. Thanks in advance. Sorry for the detailed and long post.

#29 RatherBeSurfing

RatherBeSurfing

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2006 - 07:51 AM

Greetings.

Response to questions:

- I pay $1.50 for 14 ounces of Cereulean Brand Sea Salt at a local "A&P" Supermarket.....your average supermarket in Northeast United States.....I just stumbled on an online dealer called US Saltworks (I think)....check it out.

-Exfoliation........I was using a long handled synthetic brush bought in the bath section of the same "A&P" supermarket and would sit up at random intervals, while soaking, and give my body a quick gentle scrubbin'.

*I have stopped using the brush everyday.....every couple of days now......trying to be gentle.

New stuff:

Observation:
Remaining occasional breakouts were focused on borders of hair......on face, back of neck, underarm, and inner thigh.....first thing came to mind is longtime assumption that I had some sort of folliculitis.

Next Step:
Researched the subject.....and found a medical paper on eMedicine.com (http://www.emedicine...RM/topic338.htm) that said "Pityrosforum Folliculitis" is regularly misdiagnosed as acne......and is successfully treated with a chemical known as "Ketoconazole", the main ingredient in a dandruff shampoo called "Nizoral". Over-the-Counter is 1% strength and sold at Target, Walgreens, etc....it comes stronger with a prescription. Bought it and have been using as a shower gel.....letting it sit on my body for 5 minutes before washing off.

Results:
After one week of a bit less scrubbin' and using the Nizoral.....I have had not one breakout.....and continued fading of red marks.....texture is 90% improvement.

**I am posting the Nizoral info on separate post to seek community comment.

-RBS

#30 RatherBeSurfing

RatherBeSurfing

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:08 AM

To clarify my results:

Moderate/Severe......80% visual improvement and 90% improvement in texture.

Yes, many blemishes I have had are completely gone..... active ones, red marks, hard scars, and slightly depressed ones. I am not completely clear....I still have redmarks and a handful of recently healed blemishes. Overall it is an amazing improvement.

#31 zub

zub

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2006 - 10:11 AM

hey mate- just a question from down under

does sea salt work on sweat pimples? like those tiny little ones that u get in summer and shit??

take it easy bro

smile.gif

QUOTE(BeautifulSkinAgain @ Mar 15 2006, 11:55 AM) View Post

QUOTE(treyska @ Mar 14 2006, 04:47 PM) View Post

im definitely considering trying this. although im going to wait first until i see if it will corrode bathtubs tongue.gif im assuming it wont corride mine, cause it's plastic

heyyyyyy I'm serious!
I know it won't corrode the plastic. But I worry if there is metal in the sauna.
Remember jaws? The shark didn't work because of the freaking saltwater!!!!! eusa_naughty.gif eusa_shifty.gif shock.gif eusa_wall.gif eusa_snooty.gif

#32 WantItGone

WantItGone

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 20 March 2006 - 12:13 PM

Cool man. Thanks. This particular problem isn't that bad for me, yet I would like for it to be something at least controllable. Reduction of stress really isn't an option as I am in professional school. sad.gif mad.gif

I'll see if I can find the salt cheaper at some other local stores. I also stumbled on the link for the bath salts from us salt works. It appears their pricing is about the same as what I put a line to, however it does not include shipping. So the shipping (for me) was like 40$ on top of that price, which kills your price point.

I am going to just go ahead and get the bulk sea salt that includes the shipping. I have nothing to lose other than maybe finding a solution to my little problem. eusa_dance.gif I am 25 going on 26 and I thought by now this would have been over. It is really only for me personally 'cause any girlfriend I have ever had never seemed to care. But, with summer coming up I'd like to figure out how to deal with it without the sun.

Thanks for all the info.

#33 kathryn

kathryn

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2006 - 12:24 PM

I always thought either the sun or the sea cleared my acne. Whenever i go on holiday and go in the sea it clears up, even when there's no sun (I'm from England), so I'm thinking it probably is more to do with sea salt. My spots just all dried up and my skin was really smooth.

Does anyone know where I can get proper unrefined sea salt in England? Thanks xx

#34 BeautifulSkinAgain

BeautifulSkinAgain

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2006 - 03:45 PM

So what type of salt should I purchase to do this?
Thanks

#35 noteworthy

noteworthy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2006 - 03:58 PM

if any users could post pictures, even just the after pictures then that would be great

#36 Kimberlyann

Kimberlyann

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 21 March 2006 - 12:17 PM

The sea salt seems expensive. Will regular salt work?

#37 kathryn

kathryn

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 8
About Me

Posted 21 March 2006 - 12:50 PM

ok i have found a website in the UK that sells the Celtic sea salt which is supposed to be completely natural........expensive tho :sclick here

#38 treyska

treyska

hey, it's that guy!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 March 2006 - 02:09 PM

QUOTE(Kimberlyann @ Mar 21 2006, 01:17 PM) View Post

The sea salt seems expensive. Will regular salt work?

my mom was asking about this too.. i feel kinda weird about bathing in a vat of table salt though lol.gif

#39 RatherBeSurfing

RatherBeSurfing

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 March 2006 - 03:51 PM

I have tried epson salts.....suppressed the breakouts a bit, but sea salt was much better. I do not believe table salt would do the trick.

I believe that, in the long term, it is unnecessary to take daily baths........probably 2 to 3 a week would be plenty to achieve the same results.

I did them twice daily in the beginning as I was in the midst of a rather wicked breakout.....and would have sat in the tub all day if I could have.

I am not sure why it works, but it seems to so far.

#40 SebastianC

SebastianC

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 March 2006 - 04:53 PM

QUOTE(RatherBeSurfing @ Mar 20 2006, 09:51 AM) View Post

Next Step:
Researched the subject.....and found a medical paper on eMedicine.com (http://www.emedicine.com/DERM/topic338.htm) that said "Pityrosforum Folliculitis" is regularly misdiagnosed as acne......and is successfully treated with a chemical known as "Ketoconazole", the main ingredient in a dandruff shampoo called "Nizoral". Over-the-Counter is 1% strength and sold at Target, Walgreens, etc....it comes stronger with a prescription. Bought it and have been using as a shower gel.....letting it sit on my body for 5 minutes before washing off.

Results:
After one week of a bit less scrubbin' and using the Nizoral.....I have had not one breakout.....and continued fading of red marks.....texture is 90% improvement.

**I am posting the Nizoral info on separate post to seek community comment.

-RBS

That's weird because Nizoral is one of the only two shampoos that have stopped my dandruff. I will also inquire into this.

I was told to use coarse sea salt for the bath, that's the only one I'm using. Also, I think I had a slightly better results with Personnelle's Sea Salt with Essential oils.

In addition to the Ketoconazole I'd like to try also Pantethine (derivate of B5).

QUOTE(noteworthy @ Mar 20 2006, 05:58 PM) View Post

if any users could post pictures, even just the after pictures then that would be great

I wish I took pictures of me two weeks ago when I started the sea salt baths, but now it's too late. My skin looks much better.

QUOTE(RatherBeSurfing @ Mar 21 2006, 05:51 PM) View Post

I believe that, in the long term, it is unnecessary to take daily baths........probably 2 to 3 a week would be plenty to achieve the same results.

You might be right. I had to skip yesterday's bath because I was dead tired. However, today my skin looks as if I took a bath the day before (my skin is improving by the day since I take sea salt baths). I will keep taking daily baths until I see there is no more improvement, then I'll see if I can fewer baths per week with the same results.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users