Photo

hypothyroidism and acne?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#21 JayQ

JayQ

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 October 2009 - 04:43 PM

QUOTE (Andi B @ Oct 15 2009, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i'm fascinated by this whole topic; i recently visited with an endocrinologist and initial test results revealed that my acne is due to either (1) insulin intolerance or (2) hypothyroidism. i underwent 3 hours of more in depth testing yesterday to confirm which of the two it is. i'll get results nov. 2

i too am quite thin so the idea of hypothyroidism baffles me...but at this point, i'll take whatever diagnosis i can get! i just want treatment! anyone out there actually see acne IMPROVE after being on hypothyroidism meds?

I have hyperthyroidism and i got a log of it here with the same concerns as if its related to acne or not:

http://www.acne.org/...02#entry2730202

#22 Deadmau5

Deadmau5

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 October 2009 - 05:55 PM

Can guys get PCOS?

#23 Ms Sara

Ms Sara

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:47 AM

QUOTE (cjb @ Feb 22 2006, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Jamie Lynn!
I've been reading about hypothyroid too, as I think I may have it as a result of being a soy junkie for too many years. I'm like you in that I'm not overweight, but I do have a couple of the other symptoms - always cold, especially cold extremeties. I also have an ovarian cyst....some other stuff I read and can't remember offhand. I did read in a few places that acne can be one of the many symptoms.
There is a simple self test you can do which can help you determine if you MAY be hypo. It just involves taking your temperature for several days and averaging them. I know there is a protocol outlined on askshelley.com in the FAQ, and I've seen others on the web. My naturopath had me do it and I'm like a 1/2 a degree below normal on avg, so that's really borderline. I might ask to get tested just to make sure.
I'm going to see my naturopath again next week, so I'm going to ask her some more about it. I'll post anything else she has to say.
In the meantime, maybe Sweetjade has something to add?

I just remembered another member mentioning something about her thyroid being key in her acne.. I think her name is Ebey? I can't remember if she was hypo or hyper.

You can't test for hypothyroidism just by taking your temperature for a few days in a row and averaging them together. You need blood work done.

As for the body temperature: my body temp even after being up all day long is always over a degree lower than the "norm" for people. My normal temp is around 97.4

QUOTE (Laurentx @ Feb 22 2006, 10:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do have hypothyroidism..
I know that alot of people that have it, usually start out without being overweight. Before they found out I had it, I was usually a little underweight. Then all of a sudden I gained alot of weight. I went from 120 lbs. to in a year 175 lbs.

Anyways, It does cause dry skin.

If you want to know for sure, its pretty simple for your doctor to test for it. All they need to do is draw blood and run labs... you'll have to fast before you get your blood drawn. I would suggest you talk to your doctor asap if you think you have it. The sooner your catch it, the better; you can get in control before it gets out of control.

You should especially get it checked if it runs in your family. Both my mother and her mother have it. and now so do I.

smile.gif

Dry skin, yes it's a curse!! I gained quite a bit of weight really fast as well..it's rather depressing.

QUOTE (Jay_68 @ Feb 25 2006, 05:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is known that high or low amount of iodine intake can also lead to hypothyroidism. There is still a debate on the physiologically required daily need of iodine. There must be differences in iodine sensitivity among people.

Current estimates of daily iodine intake in Canada and the USA are substantially above physiological need - in the range of 460 ‚µg/day among 9-16-year-old children, to greater than 1 mg among as many us 10-20 % of adults

Get Rid of the Iodine, Get Rid of the Hypothyroidism? One Japanese study looked at the frequency of iodine-induced reversiblehypothyroidism. This type of hypothyroidism is not rare, and particularly in Japan, where iodine-rich seaweed is freqeuently eaten.
source:

And the acne link is already known:

Teenage Acne May Be Related to Milk's Iodine Content: The link between increased dairy consumption and teenage acne may be partly explained by the high iodine content in milk, according to a New York researcher.
source:

Hypothyroidism has more causes than just being a soy junkie or iodine deficiency. The most common cause of Hypothyroidism is actually Hashimoto's thyroiditis (an autoimmune condition) and most people don't know they have it unless they are tested for the antibodies. I had been battling borderline hypothyroidism on lab results for over 5 years before i was finally able to get a referral to an endocrinologist. While, yes, my tsh was barely over 5, my antibodies were almost up to 300 which explained why i was having such severe symptoms despite my levels not being too elevated. It's important to find out WHY you have hypothyroidism and not just let 1 doctor guess as to why you have it.....it's for your benefit!!

QUOTE (Deadmau5 @ Oct 15 2009, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can guys get PCOS?

No: PCOS - polycystic ovarian syndrome. So unless you have ovaries you can't get it

Edited by Ms Sara, 31 March 2010 - 07:51 AM.

#24 Ms Sara

Ms Sara

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:50 AM

And i forgot to add that when my tsh levels are changing, which they constantly are because of the autoimmune issue making my thyroid spurt into "normal mode" just to sputter out a few weeks later....My acne flares up really bad when I need my meds to be increased and that's sadly how I know to go see my doctor for testing to change my meds.

It took me years to figure out why i had such horrible acne for so long and then I got my hypothyroid diagnosis. For women: Yaz actually helped me for a long time. But now i have Mirena so I don't have the birth control pill to fight off the acne. Mirena doesn't prevent acne....my dermatologist actually said it promotes it but it isn't any worse than before I was on Yaz so I'm not convinced at all that Mirena is causing the acne I have now. I know I need a higher dosage of levothyroxine.

anyway..I hope my input helps someone whistling.gif)

#25 JayQ

JayQ

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:22 AM

I was diagnosed with thyroiditis back in october by my endo. He explained that my thryoiditis would go through a hyper to hypo cycle before leveling out to normal. I was hyper until about janurary then it started to become normal, i just got back last week and now i am hypothyroid as he expected. My TSH went from .03 (Hyper) to a whopping 9.75 (hypo). In 2 months which was pretty crazy i thought. He said that probably in another 2-3 months i should be back to normal levels again and hopefully for good.

I had asked about the acne thryroid connection and he told me that is not probably related at all, so i dont know. My hands to get very dry and crack between fingers in i do not constantly keep them moisturized and the corners of my mouth stay dry too which i get acne at as well sometimes. So idk i will be glad when it levels out that way i can really tell if its at all related to my hormonal acne or not.

#26 hesitation

hesitation

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:22 AM

My TSH levels are super weird. They are always above normal, but very fluctuating. One week it would be 6 and the other it would be 12. I went to see an endo who did an ultrasound of my thyroid gland and told me that it looks normal, and that the lab results can't be always trusted.

#27 uncle buck

uncle buck

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:53 AM

QUOTE (Deadmau5 @ Oct 15 2009, 04:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can guys get PCOS?

Male pattern baldness is usually the equivalent.

#28 redcat400

redcat400

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 April 2010 - 02:57 PM

Hello, Im 19 and going to be 20 this september. I had hyperthroidism at the age of 17 witch is the oppsite of hypothyriodism. I was treaded with radio active idione to make me hypothyroidism..... because the doctor said it was easir to treat hypothyroidism then hyperthyroidism. I started to brake out right away after becoming hypothyrodism and gaining lots of weight.... i told my indo doctor about this, but she said ance had nothin to do with hypothyroidism..... I still think it does. ive had sever ance 3 years now....

Edited by redcat400, 11 April 2010 - 03:01 PM.

#29 tawxil

tawxil

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 April 2010 - 04:56 AM

Hey guys,
After reading all of these responses, I thought it may be beneficial to share my story and what I've learned over the years.

I have congenital hypothyroid, meaning I've had it since birth and my thyroid gland is completely non-functional.
One thing I must stress is never let your doctor bully you. I see an endocrinologist for my treatment and I learned the hard way. I let my doctor choose what they believe is best for me and it got me absolutely no where. My body, over time, has built a slight resistance to synthroid so it got to the point where even the highest dose wasn't helping. I then had to throw cytomel into the mix, which isn't on the cheap side whatsoever. In your bloodtests, your results may say TSH, T4 and T3 are normal, but you also have to take into account your physical symptoms. My levels were great, but I was also tired, moody, etc. The usual. I also had acne and no matter what I did, my acne stayed. So in my quest for the HG of thyroid medication, I came across desiccated thyroid. It was the treatment used for hypothyroid before it was replaced by synthetic hormones. Many patients reviewed that their acne cleared up. (By the way, it is more common to have dry skin, but it is very possible to have oily, acne prone skin. Hypothyroidism just sucks that way:P) So after fighting to the near death with my endocrinologist about trying it out, I finally walked out of her office with a presciption.
After a few weeks, my skin was starting to clear up. I have the most stubborn cystic acne along my jawline....it disappeared. My forehead cleared up. I was estatic.
I still get some acne on my cheeks and I've given up on getting rid of the blackheads on my nose but I just recently had my dose raised, so we will see.
ALSO! I remembered going through my old medical papers with medication information (you know the pamphlet you get when you get a new presciption filled) and came across the synthroid one.
Well guess what I saw on the side effects? "May cause acne"
I'm not saying it will cause acne for you...just to be on the cautious side. It is also extremely difficult to convince your doctor for a desiccated thyroid presciption. I fought hard for it for months.
And, one more interesting tidbit. I had to get a radioactive iodine treatment (thyroid gland was extremely swollen) and in order to do that, you have to go on a low-iodine diet for about a month or so...so your thyroid gland takes the treatment. Anyways, to get to the point, I remember having very clear skin while I was on it.

Anyways, I apologize for the ADD-like quality of this post...but I hope it was somewhat helpful.
Bottomline is: Talk to your doctor. You know your body better than anyone else.

#30 chinacat

chinacat

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 November 2010 - 05:04 PM

I'm going to bump this thread because I think thyroid issues may be a really overlooked issue when it comes to acne. I am borderline hypothyroid. I've never been overweight, but over the years I've had alot of the other symptoms, including acne. My sister has hypothyroidism to a degree way more severe than mine and she has always been overweight, and she had problems with adult acne.

When I was in my mid 20s, I went to a naturopath that told me for the first time that I was borderline hypo, put me on thyroid supplements, and my acne cleared very nicely. I moved away, lost touch with her, and drifted away from taking supplements. The acne came back.

As I moved toward my early 30s, I think my hormones started balancing out with age, but also, I learned what products and foods I could use and my acne has mellowed out big time. It's now pretty much gone.

Well, I just found out today for the first time from a "real" doctor that my TSH levels are in fact slightly borderline high-like technically still within range being by being at the upper extreme of the "normal" range-but very near being above range. It's at the point where I could take meds for it if I want to, but it's not so bad that I really need to. I told her I'd research it and think about it. Actually, I think I might do natural, herbal remedies to balance out my thyroid hormone level and get my blood tested again in a year or so.

I really feel like this hormone issue was a big contributor to my acne, and I want to make sure it's as balanced as I can get it, because I do not want to deal with acne again. Ever.

In fact, I wish that I'd had a doctor before now that would have spent a little bit of the HMO's money to do bloodwork on me and actually find out what is going on with me hormonally. I really feel like it could have saved me a couple of decades of blindly battling acne. Knowing what I know now-I would have demanded it.

I'm just throwing this out there because I really encourage those of you that can to get bloodtests done and see how your thyroid is doing. I mean like-demand it if your doctor doesn't seem really enthused about testing your blood hormone levels.

Edited by chinacat, 05 November 2010 - 05:06 PM.

#31 Jutta412

Jutta412

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 November 2010 - 06:56 PM

I was diagnosed with hypothyroid after the birth of my son (I was in my late 20s). I was suspicious just prior to getting pregnant since I had mysteriously gained weight for no reason and had extremely high cholesterol despite my relatively "clean diet"-- and I knew my father and several of his relatives had the same thing. One of my uncles died of lupus (an autoimmune disorder) in the 50s. I felt vindicated when my TSH levels were above 8 when I got my post-childbirth physical with my PCP! I still have acne even after taking levothyroxine.
My two older siblings feel that they are hypothyroid as well, but have always tested "borderline" high. I think "borderline high" according to a lab threshold can be "full blown hypothryoid" to the actual patient.
Anyhoo- I've always thought there was a connection. Isn't hypothyroid linked to "autoimmune disorders" and isn't that exactly what we acne sufferers experience? It's like a skin infection that NEVER goes away because our bodies decide that somewhat normal substances/bacteria on our skin are life-threatening invaders?

#32 Dotty1

Dotty1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2010 - 08:28 PM

I've been reading about supplements I need to take to naturally treat hypothyroidism. So far, they are:

Selenium (this deficiency appears to be the cause of a quite a few with hypothyroidism)
Tyrosine
Vitamin D
Vitamin E
Minerals and Trace Minerals
Vitamin A
Calcium Magnesium
Manganese
Iodine in the form of kelp/seaweed
Zinc/Copper

Progesterone stimulates the thyroid gland and Chromium Pincolinate also greatly supports the thyroid.

Am I forgetting anything?? Any suggestions?

#33 Me+dots

Me+dots

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 December 2010 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE (Andi B @ Oct 16 2009, 12:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i'm fascinated by this whole topic; i recently visited with an endocrinologist and initial test results revealed that my acne is due to either (1) insulin intolerance or (2) hypothyroidism. i underwent 3 hours of more in depth testing yesterday to confirm which of the two it is. i'll get results nov. 2

i too am quite thin so the idea of hypothyroidism baffles me...but at this point, i'll take whatever diagnosis i can get! i just want treatment! anyone out there actually see acne IMPROVE after being on hypothyroidism meds?

Hi Andi,

I have been having acne troubles since 12 ( I'm 32 now). I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and I have been taking Eltroxin for 6 years. Unfortunately it made no difference to my acne.
One tablet stays in your system for about 9 days, so it's hard to notice changes quickly.

I'm trying the anti-inflammatory diet (and no diary, no gluten, no sugar) and it seems to be clearing my acne.

Wish I had better news... sad.gif
Anika

Edited by Me+dots, 22 December 2010 - 02:27 PM.