Photo

hypothyroidism and acne?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 JaimeLynn

JaimeLynn

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 22 February 2006 - 04:10 PM

Hey everyone. I've been doing a lot of thinking about what could be causing my acne, and I started realizing it's strange that I have EXTREMELY dry skin on the rest of my body (literally, my hands crack!) and yet my face still breaks out. Well, I got to thinking.... most of the females in my family have thyroid problems. I looked up the symptoms of hypothyroidism and many of them fit me. Then I found this article, which peaked my interest even more:

http://www.ovarian-c...thyroidism.html

Mainly because I have always had some problems with ovarian cysts...
So do any of you here know anything about this? You or your family have any experience with having the thyroid treated, and acne finally getting under control?

I am also really wondering, could I still be hypothyroid even if I am not at all overweight? I am very physically fit and don't feel like it's very difficult for me to lose weight but I also have several of the other symptoms of hypothyroidism. I think I may need to make an appointment with an endocrinologist, even though they will probably think I'm crazy! If I have it, it is probably fairly mild but I truly do believe that this acne is being caused by some kind of malfunction in my system....
Please let me know if you guys have any thoughts! Thank you eusa_angel.gif

#2 cjb

cjb

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 February 2006 - 06:15 PM

Hi Jamie Lynn!
I've been reading about hypothyroid too, as I think I may have it as a result of being a soy junkie for too many years. I'm like you in that I'm not overweight, but I do have a couple of the other symptoms - always cold, especially cold extremeties. I also have an ovarian cyst....some other stuff I read and can't remember offhand. I did read in a few places that acne can be one of the many symptoms.
There is a simple self test you can do which can help you determine if you MAY be hypo. It just involves taking your temperature for several days and averaging them. I know there is a protocol outlined on askshelley.com in the FAQ, and I've seen others on the web. My naturopath had me do it and I'm like a 1/2 a degree below normal on avg, so that's really borderline. I might ask to get tested just to make sure.
I'm going to see my naturopath again next week, so I'm going to ask her some more about it. I'll post anything else she has to say.
In the meantime, maybe Sweetjade has something to add?

I just remembered another member mentioning something about her thyroid being key in her acne.. I think her name is Ebey? I can't remember if she was hypo or hyper.

#3 Laurentx

Laurentx

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 22 February 2006 - 08:58 PM

I do have hypothyroidism..
I know that alot of people that have it, usually start out without being overweight. Before they found out I had it, I was usually a little underweight. Then all of a sudden I gained alot of weight. I went from 120 lbs. to in a year 175 lbs.

Anyways, It does cause dry skin.

If you want to know for sure, its pretty simple for your doctor to test for it. All they need to do is draw blood and run labs... you'll have to fast before you get your blood drawn. I would suggest you talk to your doctor asap if you think you have it. The sooner your catch it, the better; you can get in control before it gets out of control.

You should especially get it checked if it runs in your family. Both my mother and her mother have it. and now so do I.

smile.gif

#4 cjb

cjb

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 February 2006 - 10:47 AM

Thanks Laurent,
I'm definitely going to talk to my naturopath about it.

#5 Jay_68

Jay_68

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2006 - 03:41 AM

It is known that high or low amount of iodine intake can also lead to hypothyroidism. There is still a debate on the physiologically required daily need of iodine. There must be differences in iodine sensitivity among people.

Current estimates of daily iodine intake in Canada and the USA are substantially above physiological need - in the range of 460 µg/day among 9-16-year-old children, to greater than 1 mg among as many us 10-20 % of adults

Get Rid of the Iodine, Get Rid of the Hypothyroidism? One Japanese study looked at the frequency of iodine-induced reversiblehypothyroidism. This type of hypothyroidism is not rare, and particularly in Japan, where iodine-rich seaweed is freqeuently eaten.
source: http://abcnews.go.co...tory?id=1401523

And the acne link is already known:

Teenage Acne May Be Related to Milk's Iodine Content: The link between increased dairy consumption and teenage acne may be partly explained by the high iodine content in milk, according to a New York researcher.
source: http://abcnews.go.co...tory?id=1401523

#6 tucsonhotmama

tucsonhotmama

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2006 - 06:29 PM

Hi, I was diagnosed as hypothyroid 3 yrs. ago and I have always been underweight. Unfortunately, thyroid meds did not improve my acne or my other symptoms at all and I am now off of the meds. I am currently using natural progesterone cream to address this issue and it seems to be helping. I have read the estrogen dominance/progesterone deficiency can produce hypothyroid symptoms, so using the cream before resorting to meds can sometimes help if this is the problem.

#7 cjb

cjb

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2006 - 07:11 PM

QUOTE(tucsonhotmama @ Feb 25 2006, 04:29 PM) View Post

Hi, I was diagnosed as hypothyroid 3 yrs. ago and I have always been underweight. Unfortunately, thyroid meds did not improve my acne or my other symptoms at all and I am now off of the meds. I am currently using natural progesterone cream to address this issue and it seems to be helping. I have read the estrogen dominance/progesterone deficiency can produce hypothyroid symptoms, so using the cream before resorting to meds can sometimes help if this is the problem.

Interesting! The more I read about this, the more I find it applies to me. I have excess estrogen symptoms: ovarian cyst, spotting between periods, painful periods. My ND put me on natural progesterone when I told her about the spotting. It's a pill that you take sublingually, not the cream, but it's not synthetic.

#8 tucsonhotmama

tucsonhotmama

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2006 - 07:19 PM

QUOTE(cjb @ Feb 25 2006, 08:11 PM) View Post

Interesting! The more I read about this, the more I find it applies to me. I have excess estrogen symptoms: ovarian cyst, spotting between periods, painful periods. My ND put me on natural progesterone when I told her about the spotting. It's a pill that you take sublingually, not the cream, but it's not synthetic.

Does it seem to be working for you?

#9 Michaelangelo

Michaelangelo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2006 - 09:57 PM

I posted a couple weeks back about this but didnt get many answers. I recently went to the doctor and got a blood test taken and found out I have hyperthrroidism, which is pretty much the opposite of yours. Overactive thryoid. I really think it is linked to my acne. Something with the use and productivity of excess hormones. Dont know if same applies to hypo. I have an appointment later this month, hopefully I'll get some pills to cure me up. I'll try and post how everything goes and if I notice a difference in my acne.

#10 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2006 - 09:59 PM

QUOTE(cjb @ Feb 25 2006, 06:11 PM) View Post

CJB,
Your doctor doesn't think you are PCO (Polycystic Ovarian...Syndrome)? You were as sensitive to sugar and certain insulin spiking foods before you started cleansing right? Of course, I've heard that there are people who are atypical for Hypothyroidism, PCOS, IR, etc that are underweight so one shouldn't assume that just because they are it means they don't have a hormone/metabolic disorder (some doctors do this to their patients).

JaimeLynn,
Other than what I mentioned to CJB, the only thing I can add is that some people don't test postive for hypothyroidism the traditional way, thus the temperature test was born (?). However from what I'm aware of, someone that is Hypothyroid should be more so acne prone than someone that is Hyperthyroid because you have high amounts of subclinical Inflammation and Low amounts of Sex Hormone Binding Globulin (reduced in the presence of Insulin or Androgen) meaning you may have less Estrogen, as a result of having low T3 levels. This seems to be further supported by the fact that the only members I've "met" on these acne boards with a thyroid probelm were hypothyroid. Unfortunately no, medication to treat this doesn't always help so there may be some additional imbalances going on for some, or they may also need to pay more attention to their diet (less consumption of improperly prepared goitrogenic foods).

Although, to be fair and honest, reading the symptom lists of various hormonal disorders can make one think they have several hormonal/metabolic disorders! Signs and symptoms can be so similar that the best way to find out is to see an Endocrinologist like you are thinking of doing. Remember, you don't have to fit the profile/symptom list 100%, especially if it's a syndrome. So if you have any family members with Cholesterol, Diabetes, Digestive, Neurological, Menstrual, Hormonal Problems, etc or if you do then you want to provide a list of your health/hormonal problems as well as those of your family members so that your doctor can start ruling out possible disorders and get you tested to hopefully rule out more (that's their goal or our goal is to FIND a diagnosis and get treated for it) hormonal or metabolic disorders.

http://www.hormone.o...rn/thyroid.html

http://www.hormone.org/learn/pcos.html

http://www.hormone.o..._sheets/cah.htm (there's a Late Onset Stage known as LOCCAH or NCCAH and sometimes it gets confused with PCOS)

Hope this helped some!

#11 cjb

cjb

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 25 February 2006 - 11:33 PM

QUOTE(tucsonhotmama @ Feb 25 2006, 05:19 PM) View Post

Does it seem to be working for you?

I've just started taking it this month, so I'm not sure yet.

Sweetjade,
The dr. didn't mention anything about PCOS. If anything, she thought I MAY have endometriosis, but is pretty sure I don't. (I hope not!) The ultrasound only showed one cyst, and as far as I know, I've never had any others. Plus, I don't have any of the other PCOS symptoms - except acne.
I am DEFINITELY sensitive to sugar. I'm still sensitve to it, even after some cleansing.

#12 JaimeLynn

JaimeLynn

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2006 - 03:57 AM

thank you for the responses you guys... SweetJade, you are very informative! I guess the only way I'll know is to go to the endocrinologist so I need to make an appt soon. I already know that as far as the temperature test goes, I am probably hypothyroid. My temp. has always been below 98.6 but i didn't know that it was associated with thyroid problems. It would sure be nice if taking thyroid meds could be the answer to my acne, but I won't set my hopes on it...

#13 paba

paba

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2006 - 05:08 AM

I highly recommend to read the articles of Ray Peat. He's a well known health writer and hormone-expert. Estrogen dominance and hypothyroidism are his specialties. He made his PhD about progesterone in 1972 and researched this topics ever since. In his articles, he makes a strong case against the consumption of polyunsaturated vegetable oils, as they suppress the thyroid.
http://raypeat.com/articles/

The enzymes which break down proteins are inhibited by unsaturated fats, and these enzymes are needed not only for digestion, but also for production of thyroid hormones, clot removal, immunity, and the general adaptability of cells. The risks of abnormal blood clotting, inflammation, immune deficiency, shock, aging, obesity, and cancer are increased. Thyroid and progesterone are decreased. Since the unsaturated oils block protein digestion in the stomach, we can be malnourished even while "eating well."
http://raypeat.com/a...ated-oils.shtml

Fats that are high in saturated fatty acids (coconut oil, butter and lamb fats) are the best fats to take, as they stimulate your metabolism. Coconut oil is the best of all, since its proportion of saturated fat is the highest and it is rich in medium chain trigylcerids. Fats that are rich in monounsaturated and saturated fatty acids are also the least fattening, thats why polyunsaturated vegetable oils and not saturated fats are fed to pigs. Coconut oil is well known for its thyroid stimulating effet.
Polyunsaturated oils not only suppress your thyroid, they put also a strain on your immun system, cause oxidative damage, inflammation and promote cancer, as they are very unstable and easily go rancid.

Ray Peat has put together some compelling arguements for taking vitamin e, since it prevents lipid peroxidation and helps against estrogen dominance, hypothyroidism and a lot more.
http://raypeat.com/a...vitamin-e.shtml

Ray Peat has also emphasized the importance of high quality protein (especially from eggs, seafood, cheese and liver) and fuits as they contain the least toxins.

Animal proteins, and fruits, because they contain the lowest levels of toxins, should form the basis of the diet. Not all fruits, of course, are perfectly safe--avocados, for example, contain so much unsaturated fat that they can be carcinogenic and hepatotoxic.

Protein deficiency itself contributes to the harm done by toxins, since the liver’s ability to detoxify them depends on adequate nutrition, especially good protein. In the 1940s, Biskind’s experiments showed that protein deficiency leads to the accumulation of estrogen, because the liver normally inactivates all the estrogen in the blood as it passes through the liver
http://raypeat.com/a...egetables.shtml

#14 normangel

normangel

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2006 - 07:19 AM

Hi, I am hypothyroid as well....I am on synthroid and have been for 4 yrs. Yes, my acne got worse when I was diagnosed but whether there is a link to that...who knows? I just started accutane because I can't stand the acne anymore. I am fearing fatigue caused by the Accutane as typical of Hypo's, we are always tired!! Anyway, I am hoping for the best and if I am really lucky the change in my diet will help me lose a few of these extra pounds!!! (wishful thinking!)

A-

#15 runnergirl14

runnergirl14

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 March 2009 - 04:36 PM

i get the same thing. i have mild acne yet my hands crack and i get small cuts. i have hypothyroidism and polycystic ovarian syndrome. i started taking meds for my hypothyroidism but i havent started my treatment for my pcos. im hoping that will help me clear my mild acne.

#16 xboxfreak

xboxfreak

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 38
About Me

Posted 15 March 2009 - 05:11 PM

Just thought I'd throw this out. I have had my thyroid tested twice and both times it was well within normal levels. But that is not to say an abnormal acting thyroid could not affect your skin.

#17 acne_battle

acne_battle

this is Ollie, my parents cat which I took a pic of on my b day

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 March 2009 - 05:15 PM

QUOTE (JaimeLynn @ Feb 22 2006, 03:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey everyone. I've been doing a lot of thinking about what could be causing my acne, and I started realizing it's strange that I have EXTREMELY dry skin on the rest of my body (literally, my hands crack!) and yet my face still breaks out. Well, I got to thinking.... most of the females in my family have thyroid problems. I looked up the symptoms of hypothyroidism and many of them fit me. Then I found this article, which peaked my interest even more:

http://www.ovarian-c...thyroidism.html

Mainly because I have always had some problems with ovarian cysts...
So do any of you here know anything about this? You or your family have any experience with having the thyroid treated, and acne finally getting under control?

I am also really wondering, could I still be hypothyroid even if I am not at all overweight? I am very physically fit and don't feel like it's very difficult for me to lose weight but I also have several of the other symptoms of hypothyroidism. I think I may need to make an appointment with an endocrinologist, even though they will probably think I'm crazy! If I have it, it is probably fairly mild but I truly do believe that this acne is being caused by some kind of malfunction in my system....
Please let me know if you guys have any thoughts! Thank you eusa_angel.gif

I thought I had it too because I fit under a lot of the symptoms and my mom was diagnosed with it too. When I had my blood drawn though, the results came back negative.

#18 deadonfive

deadonfive

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 45
About Me

Posted 26 April 2009 - 05:29 AM

bump!

I think it's important for people to take another look at hypothyroidism, if they've tried everything else acne-wise and it isn't helping. Paba's post here in particular about Dr. Raymond Peat is a really good post to read thoroughly.

Here are some more links on the correlation with acne/hyPOthyroidism (not hyPERthyroidism.)

Why Polyunsaturated Fats Are Bad for the Thyroid (and depletes vitamin E) By Dr. Broda O. Barnes
Unrecognized Symptoms in Hypothyroidism by G. K. WHARTON, M.B., M.S.(MED.), F.A.C.P.
Symptoms of Hypothyroidism
Why Tests for Hypothyroidism Are Not Always Accurate

I'd also like to mention that even if you've tested "normal," for your thyroid gland, that doesn't mean much at all. Millions of people go undiagnosed; the standard blood serum panel for thyroid is not sensitive enough unless you have a SEVERE thyroid condition (yet a milder thyroid condition is enough to throw things out of whack and give you acne as well as other health problems.) The last link actually explains that a test for Anemia (red and white blood cell counts,) is actually more telling as to whether or not you have a hypothyroid problem.

biggrin.gif

#19 cawilliams

cawilliams

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 October 2009 - 04:49 PM

i was diagnosed with hypothyroidism at birth and i just today learned that hypothyroidism can cause acne. i've had acne for almost four years, i have an endocrine appointment soon and i'm going to talk to them about it.
i think a dosage of my medication will help.
also, people with hypothyroidism are mostly overweight.
i've always been under weight or at a healthy weight.

#20 Andi B

Andi B

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 15 October 2009 - 04:28 PM

i'm fascinated by this whole topic; i recently visited with an endocrinologist and initial test results revealed that my acne is due to either (1) insulin intolerance or (2) hypothyroidism. i underwent 3 hours of more in depth testing yesterday to confirm which of the two it is. i'll get results nov. 2

i too am quite thin so the idea of hypothyroidism baffles me...but at this point, i'll take whatever diagnosis i can get! i just want treatment! anyone out there actually see acne IMPROVE after being on hypothyroidism meds?