Photo

proactiv...does it work???

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#21 braveheart

braveheart

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 February 2006 - 01:09 PM

well, i can only speak for myself and my type of skin. i am a 24 year old african american female with the typical combo skin, the t-zone. i have moderate acne and have had it since i was about 12 or 13. i tried proactiv back in the day when they just had judith light reppin the product. i didn't want to buy it though until i saw a black face in the testimonial. i do this because the make-up of african american skin is a bit different than our caucasian brothas and sistas, therefore our skin and systems tend to react a bit differently, especially since most testing subjects for fda approved medications and other medical study groups are composed of all white subjects (this is not propaganda folks! i wish it were. but i live in atlanta and most of the derms wouldn't perform microdermabrasion or laser resurfacing on me and my sis because they hadn't tested on black skin. can you believe that?!).

so when i saw the black chick's before and after photos, i called in. sis and tried it out when we were like 16. it worked... for the first 5 months. didn't get totally clear, but it was a REALLY significant difference. all of a sudden it just stopped. not like gradually stopped. like one morning we woke up and were BOTH covered in whiteheads and cysts. couldn't believe it. we stopped using it. i discovered, like many of you probably have, that most topical treatments have a period of effectiveness until your skin develops a resistance to it, and then "rebounds." meaning, onslaught of acne.

we tried it periodically throughout the years, just holding out the hope that it would work longer than the first time. about two years ago, i even tried the extra strength formula. no difference. so i gave up on proactiv. if it works for you PRAISE GOD! i wouldn't wish acne on anyone. not even my enemies, especially in adulthood.

so, so far, i haven't found that miracle regimen. dan's plan dries the HELL out my skin and makes my face look like an old catcher's mit. i'm trying this stuff called "porever pure" to help with the hyperpigmentation. just started so i'll keep you posted. it makes your skin peel something serious, but it flattens existing blemishes.

anyhoo, that's my 50 cents (cause this post is kinda long, sorry!). best of luck.

#22 LionQueen

LionQueen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 18 February 2006 - 02:03 PM

QUOTE(braveheart @ Feb 18 2006, 11:09 AM) View Post

so, so far, i haven't found that miracle regimen. dan's plan dries the HELL out my skin and makes my face look like an old catcher's mit. i'm trying this stuff called "porever pure" to help with the hyperpigmentation. just started so i'll keep you posted. it makes your skin peel something serious, but it flattens existing blemishes.

If that doesn't work out for you, here's something that might:

Green Cream

This has been my miracle. I'm Caucasian, and I don't know what their testing process was, but that site has a board where you can post product questions and a very nice and knowledgeable moderator. It's worth a look.

Good luck,

Q

#23 hb78559

hb78559

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 February 2006 - 10:59 PM

I have tried it several times and was also in the so called "club" where they sent the shipments monthly--it never worked for me so I gave the remaining solutions to my nieces and nephews and my next shipment to a friend's son and they all tried it and their acne got worse! I was not impressed and for the price the really should let you know that it may not work for everyone instead of guaranteeing to work for everyone no matter how young or old or even how severe the acne may be!

#24 Clearly Smooth

Clearly Smooth

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 February 2006 - 07:36 AM

I used Proactiv for about 5 years. I loved it at first. My face looked GOOD! But those results didn't last long. Proactiv helped to lessen my acne but I was rarely ever completely clear.

#25 adi0597

adi0597

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 February 2006 - 05:08 PM

QUOTE(dragon @ Feb 12 2006, 05:39 AM) View Post

I just wanted to know if anyone else is using PROACTIV? Did it work for you or didn't it?
I have been using it for about 1.5 months and my face seems worse than before. Does anyone else had the same experience or different? Please let me know. sad.gif

Thanks

Hey there.

Proactiv works BUT it doesnt.

It works in the sense of clearing up the acne.

BUT it DOESNT maintain acne prevention.

That's why it sells so well.

By the time the acne you have is cleared and your almost done with the regimen... Its time to get new acne and you tell yourself you need to buy more.

NO

#26 Rache

Rache

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 February 2006 - 05:46 PM

I know that the product burnt...yes burnt my cousins skin.
And she had moderate to severe acne, and it just made it raw, red...burnt literally..it took her monthes just to get her skin un dry, un red, and un-irritated. I would NEVER consider it. From the sounds of it, its not all that great, and the commercals..pff tear jerking.

But seriousily I am thinking that if you have senstive skin with acne, this will just make it worse. I think this product is made for the oily un sensetive skin type. It would do me in if I used it, I know that.
NO THANKS..

#27 jfreen

jfreen

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 February 2006 - 11:12 PM

I used proactiv a while ago and it did work, but I did not like the way my skin felt and went on to use a product line with SA. When I saw that BP can cause pre-mature wrinkles I was glad that I made the switch. With the SA products my skin is clear, looks and feels great.

#28 Guest_Marino_*

Guest_Marino_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 24 February 2006 - 07:23 PM

I dont understand why people still blow there money on proactive,
THE ONLY INGREDIANT IN PROACTIVE THAT DOES ANYTHING FOR ACNE IS BP 2.% PERCENT!

Sound familiar? *ahem* Regime *ahem*
Substitute the cleanser and toner for anything you want, as long as you put on 2.5 percent BP day and night,
you'll be fine.
Much cheaper and you can customize your regime to sutie your skin [for people who got irritated by granules and shit like that].

#29 jordan12

jordan12

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2006 - 04:01 PM

QUOTE(Marino @ Feb 24 2006, 07:23 PM) View Post

I dont understand why people still blow there money on proactive,
THE ONLY INGREDIANT IN PROACTIVE THAT DOES ANYTHING FOR ACNE IS BP 2.% PERCENT!

Sound familiar? *ahem* Regime *ahem*
Substitute the cleanser and toner for anything you want, as long as you put on 2.5 percent BP day and night,
you'll be fine.
Much cheaper and you can customize your regime to sutie your skin [for people who got irritated by granules and shit like that].

Glycolic acid makes a difference...that's not in the regimen.

#30 Guest_Marino_*

Guest_Marino_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 26 February 2006 - 06:39 AM

actually the real regime [which i used on my back] has 10 percent AHA in it,
you can add what eva you like in your own custom regime, you want AHA, simply add it.
dont like aha's? Then add BHA's. Proactive is to limiting, your own personal regime is best suited for indivdual skin needs.

#31 QueenAmy

QueenAmy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2006 - 01:17 PM

I tried proactiv, and it did not work for me. I have sensitive skin, and it burned my skin as well. I think all three products together was just too much. I didn't care about the price- I would pay anything for clear skin, but it was just too harsh and painful. when I called to cancel they convinced me to try their "Sensitive Formula". I had never heard of it, and didn't even know there WAS a sensitive formula. It is salycilic acid instead of BP, and it was a lot better, but still didn't really work for me.
My skin is best when I do not use any "acne-prone skin" products. Now I use Aveda All Senstive Line with Spectro 2.5% BP for Sensitive Skin. So far, so good.

#32 Lawgirl

Lawgirl

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2006 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE(dragon @ Feb 12 2006, 12:39 AM) View Post

I just wanted to know if anyone else is using PROACTIV? Did it work for you or didn't it?
I have been using it for about 1.5 months and my face seems worse than before. Does anyone else had the same experience or different? Please let me know. sad.gif

Thanks

I've used proactiv for about 3 years and just cancelled my membership, it does not work for me, its just another waste of money. sad.gif

#33 Guest_www.marykay.com/bhoffpauir_*

Guest_www.marykay.com/bhoffpauir_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 06 March 2006 - 08:49 AM

I used proactive for approx. 2 years. After the first month or two it started working, but after I used it for about a year and a half it stopped working all together. I have learned that the best way to get rid of acne is a good face care system. Use a good cleanser and moisturizer and I can't recommed using an exfoliator a couple of times a week enough. It has worked wonders for me. My whole family was so impressed at the difference in my complexion that most of them started using my products. This is the first time in years that I have had a clear complexion. Even on proactive i still had breakouts they just were not as bad. Then it stopped working all together. You might consider going to Dillards and seeing what Estee Lauder offers or find a Mk rep. to give you a free sample. I hope this helps. Any other questions feel free to e-mail me and I will answer any I can.

#34 Issy

Issy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2006 - 09:26 AM

Proactiv worked for me a little bit, but I found that after a couple of months my skin was all confused - dry and flaky in spots, oily in others. It's too harsh for me to use as often as they reccommend - my skin is very very sensitive, and I think that's the root of my acne. But now I'm using BP wash (2.5 %) a couple of times a week, and it's much more under control. For me, a very gentle cleanser and toner twice a day is the best - not the aggressive treatments I was using before!

#35 Ssooter

Ssooter

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2006 - 10:48 AM

[font=Comic Sans Ms][color=#FF99FF] I Too tried Proactive...and like the rest of you it made things worse. I had perfect skin all through highschool, occasional breakout but nothing to make me hide in my room for day son end. Then at 21 I got pregnant...and thats when it started. My face started breaking out, and now my twins are 4 and I have a 2 year old, and my face is worse than ever. I am to the point now that I don't want to leave the house sad.gif So shortly after I had the baby (2 years ago) I bought some proactive...I used it for about 3 weeks...and woke up one morning to a very red painful face...I couldn't even touch my sking it hurt SO bad....the sun killed me...couldn't handle it so I put that to an abrupt halt. So then I let it go for a while...things were ok...but recently...like over the lat year my face has gotten progressivly worse. I started using Nutrogena face bar in the morning while I was in the shower, though I was using a glove to wash it with...the exfolliating kind for your body...guess that wasn't a wise choice. I was using I believe it is nutrogena acne wash at night with the overnight acne treatment...and still things are getting worse. I am about to start using this method with the BP gel, nutrogena face wash (no glove this time) and the light moisturizer....I can't take looking like this any more!!

#36 boardergirl33

boardergirl33

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 March 2006 - 12:15 AM

i used proactive my freshman year of high school, for a few months. it didn't really seem to make any difference, except that my skin was a lot more dried out, red and irritated looking, and i still broke out. if you don't use sunscreen while on that you burn very, very easily. i was out in the sun for four hours and got blisters on my forehead. very unpleasant. it wasn't worth the money.

#37 springmore

springmore

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 March 2006 - 10:36 AM

I adored Proactiv for years. I began using it in the fall of 2001. Then, about last May, it stopped working. My face began to get worse and worse. I called and told customer service I wanted to cancel my membership, and she told me that my face has become immune to the BP (no surprise, after four years of consistent use). Because I've been a customer for so long, they sent me the gentle system for free and said that sometimes, after a few months, the face will respond to BP treatment again.

I'm one of the rare people on these boards who adored Proactiv. However, I have no doubt that the Clear Skin Regimen will produce the same (if not better) results for much, much less.