Photo

So depressed about cortisone injection atrophy

cortisone

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
40 replies to this topic

#21 mary23

mary23

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 November 2007 - 03:01 PM

QUOTE(sierralita @ Nov 10 2007, 03:45 PM) View Post
QUOTE(heyo @ Nov 10 2007, 11:24 AM) View Post
Does anyone have any ideas about preventing it from happening. Supposedly I went to a credible dermatologist that wouldnt have gone overboard with the injection but I'm still pretty nervous at the thought of this happening. Is there any way to get remains of the injections out of your skin? annnnything? Thanks.

I just had another saline shot today, and yet another cortisone shot in the hard scar that keeps coming back.

Personally I think it's pretty damn risky to get a cortisone shot into a cyst, because you're already at risk of scarring for that cyst, and you're not injecting it into a raised hard scar where you want to destroy that collagen above the skin, you're doing it into a cyst inside your skin. I don't think I would ever do that. Too much risk of fat atrophy.

do you see exactly where ur dr is injecting the saline? dr sire injects at an angle and that whole area just gets inflammed almost like a i got punched in the face. it goes away in about 30mins to an hour. ps it is pretty damn risky to get that injected in a cyst i will never ever in my entire life get a cortisone shot again.

#22 heyo

heyo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 11 November 2007 - 09:16 PM

Is there any way to get the remains of the cortisone shot out of your face... I just had the shot and dont think I've noticed anything happening but I still want to prevent anything bad. Also, did you guys notice any precursors to the dents like skin thinning?

#23 sierralita

sierralita

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 November 2007 - 10:18 PM

QUOTE(heyo @ Nov 11 2007, 09:16 PM) View Post
Is there any way to get the remains of the cortisone shot out of your face... I just had the shot and dont think I've noticed anything happening but I still want to prevent anything bad. Also, did you guys notice any precursors to the dents like skin thinning?

Maybe just ask for a saline shot right away. I didn't notice anything until the area started caving, which was two months later. I've had two saline shots in one week, I won't have another one for three weeks. The dent is a little better, but not gone yet. I know I need to give it time to regrow the fat and collagen.

#24 heyo

heyo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 12 November 2007 - 10:33 AM

QUOTE(sierralita @ Nov 11 2007, 11:18 PM) View Post

Maybe just ask for a saline shot right away. I didn't notice anything until the area started caving, which was two months later. I've had two saline shots in one week, I won't have another one for three weeks. The dent is a little better, but not gone yet. I know I need to give it time to regrow the fat and collagen.

Im going to talk to a derm about this in about a week so I'll keep you posted on what she says. Good luck with the saline injections and heres to hoping it goes away sooner than you expect.

#25 sierralita

sierralita

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 November 2007 - 11:36 AM

QUOTE(heyo @ Nov 12 2007, 10:33 AM) View Post
QUOTE(sierralita @ Nov 11 2007, 11:18 PM) View Post

Im going to talk to a derm about this in about a week so I'll keep you posted on what she says. Good luck with the saline injections and heres to hoping it goes away sooner than you expect.

Hey!! Today it looks better!!! It is definitely filling in. Less of a dent, more of a shadow now. Hallefuckinglujia . . .
eusa_dance.gif

#26 mary23

mary23

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 November 2007 - 04:37 PM

cortisone injections dont cause fat loss it causes fat cell shrinkage. so thats why doctors say its reversible because once the cortisone leaves the area the fat cells go back to normal and how long it takes depends on the individual. i read of cases where it takes well over a year.

#27 dingdingding

dingdingding

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 November 2007 - 09:51 PM

ok so the dents created temporarily by the cortisone injections SHOULD fill in after a while, but what about the dents that are created by the inflammation, a cyst that you never had injected. Would those dents fill in? If those dents caused by the inflammation for some reason dont fill in then I might as well get the injection

#28 jennibh

jennibh

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:06 PM

QUOTE (mary23 @ Nov 9 2007, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (sierralita @ Nov 9 2007, 04:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (tricia @ Nov 9 2007, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (sierralita @ Nov 9 2007, 03:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thats soo good that you too are seeing improvement. i got my first saline injection about a week and a half ago by dr sire and as of today i can tell you that its improved maybe 70% . he suggested i have 3/4 more shots at the most for it to completely heal. im also taking vitamin C, collagen pills, copper pills and omega 3,6,9 that i bought from gnc, they all help the healing process. the saline injections really does wonders on these indentations caused by cortisone injections.

I'm getting some C tomorrow -- what are collagen pills? How do they work? I thought the skin has to create the collagen itself. I guess also it's fat we're talking about? Fat atrophy. So we need time to grow back our fat. I'm really skinny so growing fat isn't so easy for me. Oh well . . .

Are you sure there isn't still any microscopic swelling there? I wouldn't think the saline would work so fast for permanent results, but maybe if you got to it early enough. My scars were old when I did it myself.

Was it for cortisone depressions? Because there might be better improvement for those than regular acne scars. Apparently there is some immediate improvement, but multiple session are needed, and the fat has to grow back. But I think we're flushing out the cortisone that remains in the skin.

ya mine was caused by a cortisone injection i dont have acne nor acne scars ive never had a problem with breakouts in my entire life and i still dont. i just got vain over one stupid pimple and decided to get it injected. you can buy collagen pills from any vitamin store im not sure if they help but i know they wouldnt hurt. also i know its not micro swellng becaue 2 months ago i had it filled with restalyne (mistake dont ever do it it actually looks like shit, gives it a donut effect i had the dr inject it with an enzyme that dissoloves restalyne so theres no more filler left in there). and the swelling for that went down in 1 day this has been around 2 weeks already so theres no way its swelling plus the needle only went in twice . i think i saw a great improvement because mine has also been around 3 1/2 months since the indentation showed up. (my indentation showed up 2 whole freakin months after the initial shot!!! i got the shot in may the dent showed up end of july) i know for a fact the saline helped a lot and ill continue doing it till it disappears.

Hi! It looks like vanity has gotten the better of me! I too had a kenalog shot in nov. 08.. I had a small pimple but had a family reunion and didn't want to go with a zit on my face. I am pretty sensitive about my skin because i was in a car accident years ago which left me with a hug scar on my face. Other than my scar (which is now a part of me and doesn't really bother me.. although ever dermo I've seen wants to "fix it" with fraxel) So 2 months later I now have a dent on my cheek right above my scar! I am so depressed about it... and mad at myself for trusting the dermo who injected too much! So now I am seeing a Dr. in NYC who just gave me my first saline injection.. i didn't see any improvement.. are you sure it works... and side effects or does it make it worse? Thanks smile.gif

#29 hoursafter

hoursafter

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:44 PM

Mine filled in quite a bit over a period of like 6 months to a year. They have an initial extreme depression. Then they fill in to some in between state which is better than what it was before but not as indented as within the first month, you should be perfect.

#30 jaden

jaden

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:26 PM

I had steroid injected 3 x into a cyct on my chin 10 years ago, I now have a whitish area with a dent that never went away and I have to drain the cyst opening every month or so.So I dont recomend steroid injection for a cyst. I should have just had it excised initially and had the scar!

#31 skinskinskinskin

skinskinskinskin

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:42 AM

Had a cortisone injection about a month ago... about two weeks ago noticed a dent beginning to form... Looks like it's gotten slightly deeper. I take solodyn and didn't know if that increases the effect of the shot. And more importantly is it going to get worse or better. I'm also a very self conscious person and so i am freaking out. I typically never get them. It's the second one I've had and they were a month apart in the same area.... My thought was too much was in my chin in that area.

But can some one please tell me how soon this will get better and if it will get any worse?

HELP!

#32 badkitty

badkitty

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 5
About Me

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:52 PM

QUOTE (skinskinskinskin @ Aug 5 2010, 01:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Had a cortisone injection about a month ago... about two weeks ago noticed a dent beginning to form... Looks like it's gotten slightly deeper. I take solodyn and didn't know if that increases the effect of the shot. And more importantly is it going to get worse or better. I'm also a very self conscious person and so i am freaking out. I typically never get them. It's the second one I've had and they were a month apart in the same area.... My thought was too much was in my chin in that area.

But can some one please tell me how soon this will get better and if it will get any worse?

HELP!

I have the same problem with cortisone(kenalog) injection for undo 2 lumps due the silicone and it left me new indentation, the dr was using 5ml every two weeks. I arleady have 4 round and he never warn me about kenalog side effect.
Which dosage are you taking?

Edited by badkitty, 05 August 2010 - 05:54 PM.

#33 girl11

girl11

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:34 AM

HELP!

That's pretty much my timing too. Tomorrow will be a month since I got the injection but I only noticed the dent a little more than 2 weeks ago. It was the first and only shot I had in that area for a pimple, not a major cyst. I'm freaking out too. I'm very OCD about my skin. Everytime I look in the mirror, the first thing I see is the dent. Mine is near the lower corner of my mouth.

What I've been doing myself is eating more thing with vitamin C and protein. I know it sounds stupid, but not enough protein can affect wound healing. And Vitamin C is needed to produce collagen. I don't know if it will actually help, but I'm going to try.

#34 am123

am123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 September 2010 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE (girl11 @ Aug 12 2010, 09:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HELP!

That's pretty much my timing too. Tomorrow will be a month since I got the injection but I only noticed the dent a little more than 2 weeks ago. It was the first and only shot I had in that area for a pimple, not a major cyst. I'm freaking out too. I'm very OCD about my skin. Everytime I look in the mirror, the first thing I see is the dent. Mine is near the lower corner of my mouth.

What I've been doing myself is eating more thing with vitamin C and protein. I know it sounds stupid, but not enough protein can affect wound healing. And Vitamin C is needed to produce collagen. I don't know if it will actually help, but I'm going to try.

I too am in the same boat, unfortunately. I had an injection in my cheek, right on the apple of my cheek, the week before my wedding. The good news is for my wedding the cyst (which would have for sure been giant) was flat and not noticeable. The bad news is it's 5 months later, and it's still there. It's annoying because at this point my skin is perfect besides the 1 dent, so to me that makes it really noticeable. sad.gif Anyways so I have an appt with the Derm for next Weds. I had this happen once before and she tried the saline injection thing. She acted really skeptical but was nice and did it for free. That one eventually went away, I would say after 5-6 months. Which makes me worried since it's already been that long... Anyways I digress. Good luck guys and I hope yours goes away. I feel your pain. wacko.gif

#35 jakins

jakins

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:19 PM

Hello fellow dent sufferers,

I see the last post here was in Sept 2010 and I am curious to know how anyone's injection dents look today. I am concerned about one myself on my chin and am panicking to hear some good news. My dermatologist suggests messaging the dent area but I really want to do something more. I saw some vitamin c powder at Ulta that is suppose to "hasten" collagen growth but not sure if it is worth the money. (It was called Turbo Booster C Powder by Philosophy.) I am considering buying it just to feel like I am helping it to heal. I did call the dermatologist back (after a month) and she did not mention anything about saline injections but perhaps if she saw the size of it she could suggest something more than just message.

If anyone can give me an update of how your dents are healing I could possibly feel some relief for my problem area, or have a better time frame as of now I've had this dent for 2 months and I see no improvement at all. I am 45 years old and really worried about collagen reproducing. A hole in my chin is the last thing I need at my age.

#36 Nightlilly89

Nightlilly89

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:04 PM

I have 2 bad scars form cortisone shot, 3 years old, isnt going to go away. Im thinking excision is my only hope for this one. In harsher light it looks very deep.

Attached Thumbnails

• scar1.jpg

Edited by Nightlilly89, 14 April 2011 - 06:08 PM.

#37 labelmelovely

labelmelovely

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 April 2011 - 07:45 AM

i have the opposite problem i have had 2 huge cyst on the sides of my nose both treated with cortisone injections. they didnt leave indention instead it left me with two bumps on the side. which my derm said was scar tissue.idk what to do to flatten them .im using Kelo-Cote just started using it last week dont see and results yet..

#38 christina9801

christina9801

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 May 2011 - 01:32 PM

Hi everybody, i have had those cysts on face, injected, left bubble scars, then some indented , its been a never ending battle, i have horrible scars on both sides of chin, deep, and like i said if not indented, bubbled, its all i see in the mirror,i am scared to get another shot of cortisone since the new indentaion right on the middle of my jaw line, altho also have had succvess with shots at times, i am thinking after reading this site of the Saline injections, i am very depressed and thanks everyone for posting, ANYWAYS....I WANT TO SHARE...I found not a solution but something that is helping and i have tryed pretty much everything, expensive a lil, but its Estee lauder Pefectionist CP Wrinkle Collagen Filler in a purple squeeze tube, wash face or whatever and lightly rub that on scar indented or bubble scar, then do make up, or moisture or both, I do notice a different and it lasts all day, and says rebuilds collagen in the long term! Anyways, good luck to everyone, its horrible I know, i dont have one or two, more like 6 to 8 both sides of chin sad.gif(( plzzzz keep posting!!!!!!

Edited by christina9801, 14 May 2011 - 02:16 PM.

#39 amx123

amx123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 August 2011 - 09:21 AM

Of course, i had a humongous pimple on my forehead two days before my senior prom. I was nervous and frantic and wanted to just get rid of it for the sake of my prom pictures. I went to my derm and she told me the pimple was big enough to get injected and would probably not even leave a little dent. 3 weeks later it started caving in... 4 weeks later and it looked like a hole in my forehead, like an extreme dimple. I was so depressed at it, couldn't look at myself in the mirror. It was very, very deep. I begged my derm for a filler, she said it would just leave a "donut" effect and make it look worse. So, I begged her for saline. I got 3 saline injections over a course of about 3 1/2 weeks, and even though the look only lasted for less than a day, over time it did help with it. I just woke up this morning and its almost completely gone! so happy, i'm going to college in less than 2 weeks! but really, all you need is patience. remember that you're beautiful and don't care what people say about it... one of my best guy friends said, "have you always had that thing on your forehead?" so trust me, it hurts. but it is not permanent!!!! stay strong. Overall, took over 2 months for me to start seeing a difference. It stinks.

#40 hopeful503

hopeful503

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:05 PM

Anyone else have success stories or any follow up information on this? I had four indentations now from cortisone injections
I recieved 3 weeks ago. One filled in suddenly and unexpectedly after a couple weeks but the other 3 don't show any signs of improvement. I have a appointment with a plastic surgeon to injer filler next week since I can't bear to live with these indentations for 6-12 months, which is as long as people are saying they take to fill in on their own. I wish my derm. Im going to confront my derm about this since he is responsible and warned me of these side effects. He should be responsible or fixing instead of me forking over $700 for filler to correct his mistake. In miserable over this. It's making me depressed to the point where I want to quit my job and hide. I get no joy out of life right now. I desperately need help. It is affecting my marriage, job, friends, etc.

Sorry for all the typos. I posted from my phone.