Photo

So depressed about cortisone injection atrophy

cortisone

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
40 replies to this topic

#1 kittenkaboodle

kittenkaboodle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 January 2006 - 03:44 PM

If you've read any of my posts, you know I complain about my dent from my cortisone shot constantly, but I'm at wits end. I know there are other topics on this, but I think I've read every one!

Here is my issue:
Had a reoccurring cyst for about a year in the same spot. Around December 10th, I got a cortisone shot. After about a week, the area started caving in. Check out my gallery for a pic of it. Anyway, it's been over a month and sometimes it looks better than others, but overall, it's not really filling in. Should I continue waiting? Is there anything at all I can do!??! I just want to cry.

#2 coolbreeze22

coolbreeze22

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 January 2006 - 05:57 PM

QUOTE(vott9 @ Jan 24 2006, 01:44 PM) View Post

If you've read any of my posts, you know I complain about my dent from my cortisone shot constantly, but I'm at wits end. I know there are other topics on this, but I think I've read every one!

Here is my issue:
Had a reoccurring cyst for about a year in the same spot. Around December 10th, I got a cortisone shot. After about a week, the area started caving in. Check out my gallery for a pic of it. Anyway, it's been over a month and sometimes it looks better than others, but overall, it's not really filling in. Should I continue waiting? Is there anything at all I can do!??! I just want to cry.

I had some big cystic acne and have taken cortisone shots. It creats a small ( and sometimes discolored or whitish ) dent. But I have always experienced that it goes away on its own and gets filled natuirally. Sometimes, it has taken like 3-4 months for me !! You don't need to do anything just don't aggrevate it further and you can put concealer.
I came to know from my doctor that the dent depends upon how much cortizone is injected. She always tries to put as minimum as possible but I understand, it is difficult to gauge the exact amount required.

#3 superk

superk

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 October 2007 - 01:33 AM

QUOTE(vott9 @ Jan 25 2006, 05:44 AM) View Post

Here is my issue:

Hi! I just read your post. I think this is what's happening to my face too. After the injection the "pimple" disappeared but now there's a big dent! I can't seem to find the picture in the gallery of you? I was wondering if what I have is the same as yours and did it go back to normal? =)

Thanks!

-karen

ps. And it makes me cry too.

#4 sweetheart519

sweetheart519

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 October 2007 - 07:26 PM

Just remember that it can take a loooong time for scars to fill in. I have some that are about 5 months old and only now starting to fill in some. It can take up to a year. So give it more time before you freak out too badly. Chances are it will improve in time.
Cleanser: Purpose, twice a day. Love it!

Rx:
Loestrin Fe 24 (birth control)
Differin .3% gel

Moisturizer: Purpose Moisturizer w/ SPF 15 (morning), La Roche-Posay Toleriane facial fluid (night)

#5 pop politics

pop politics

i feel like i'm slipping away

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 14 October 2007 - 07:29 PM

Personally, if it bothered me that much, i'd look into excision. Then some Fraxel for the remaining scar.
"We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free."

-Bill Hicks

#6 heyo

heyo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 08 November 2007 - 01:39 PM

I dont know if this is true since I've never tried it. But naturally I would assume that if you increase intake of Vitamin C (which helps form collagen) these dents would be more apt to dissapearing? I really have no real evidence, but its worth a shot just to increase your intake of foods that contain Vitamin C as well as putting some sort of lotions that are high in antioxidants/vitamins.
"I'm in repair,
I'm not together but i'm getting there"
- John Mayer

You know I can't win, now people, 'cuz I ain't got a thing to lose."
- Buddy Guy

#7 dingdingding

dingdingding

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 November 2007 - 02:07 PM

QUOTE(sweetheart519 @ Oct 14 2007, 08:26 PM) View Post
Just remember that it can take a loooong time for scars to fill in. I have some that are about 5 months old and only now starting to fill in some. It can take up to a year. So give it more time before you freak out too badly. Chances are it will improve in time.

i ddnt know those small dents can fill in by themselves w/o assistance? i was told by my derm that this does not happen

#8 sierralita

sierralita

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:04 AM

QUOTE(dingdingding @ Nov 8 2007, 02:07 PM) View Post
QUOTE(sweetheart519 @ Oct 14 2007, 08:26 PM) View Post

i ddnt know those small dents can fill in by themselves w/o assistance? i was told by my derm that this does not happen

The saline is working for me on the cortisone dent, you've got to try it. The dents are supposed to fill in over time, and they probably do, but saline is cheap and not dangerous, so go for it. I've had one shot and I can see an major improvement.

#9 mary23

mary23

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2007 - 11:31 AM

The saline is working for me on the cortisone dent, you've got to try it. The dents are supposed to fill in over time, and they probably do, but saline is cheap and not dangerous, so go for it. I've had one shot and I can see an major improvement.
[/quote]

thats soo good that you too are seeing improvement. i got my first saline injection about a week and a half ago by dr sire and as of today i can tell you that its improved maybe 70% . he suggested i have 3/4 more shots at the most for it to completely heal. im also taking vitamin C, collagen pills, copper pills and omega 3,6,9 that i bought from gnc, they all help the healing process. the saline injections really does wonders on these indentations caused by cortisone injections.

#10 sierralita

sierralita

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2007 - 03:04 PM

thats soo good that you too are seeing improvement. i got my first saline injection about a week and a half ago by dr sire and as of today i can tell you that its improved maybe 70% . he suggested i have 3/4 more shots at the most for it to completely heal. im also taking vitamin C, collagen pills, copper pills and omega 3,6,9 that i bought from gnc, they all help the healing process. the saline injections really does wonders on these indentations caused by cortisone injections.

I'm getting some C tomorrow -- what are collagen pills? How do they work? I thought the skin has to create the collagen itself. I guess also it's fat we're talking about? Fat atrophy. So we need time to grow back our fat. I'm really skinny so growing fat isn't so easy for me. Oh well . . .

#11 tricia

tricia

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2007 - 03:24 PM

QUOTE(sierralita @ Nov 9 2007, 03:04 PM) View Post

I'm getting some C tomorrow -- what are collagen pills? How do they work? I thought the skin has to create the collagen itself. I guess also it's fat we're talking about? Fat atrophy. So we need time to grow back our fat. I'm really skinny so growing fat isn't so easy for me. Oh well . . .

Are you sure there isn't still any microscopic swelling there? I wouldn't think the saline would work so fast for permanent results, but maybe if you got to it early enough. My scars were old when I did it myself.

#12 sierralita

sierralita

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2007 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE(tricia @ Nov 9 2007, 03:24 PM) View Post

Are you sure there isn't still any microscopic swelling there? I wouldn't think the saline would work so fast for permanent results, but maybe if you got to it early enough. My scars were old when I did it myself.

Was it for cortisone depressions? Because there might be better improvement for those than regular acne scars. Apparently there is some immediate improvement, but multiple session are needed, and the fat has to grow back. But I think we're flushing out the cortisone that remains in the skin.

#13 mary23

mary23

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2007 - 03:59 PM

QUOTE(sierralita @ Nov 9 2007, 04:40 PM) View Post

Was it for cortisone depressions? Because there might be better improvement for those than regular acne scars. Apparently there is some immediate improvement, but multiple session are needed, and the fat has to grow back. But I think we're flushing out the cortisone that remains in the skin.

ya mine was caused by a cortisone injection i dont have acne nor acne scars ive never had a problem with breakouts in my entire life and i still dont. i just got vain over one stupid pimple and decided to get it injected. you can buy collagen pills from any vitamin store im not sure if they help but i know they wouldnt hurt. also i know its not micro swellng becaue 2 months ago i had it filled with restalyne (mistake dont ever do it it actually looks like shit, gives it a donut effect i had the dr inject it with an enzyme that dissoloves restalyne so theres no more filler left in there). and the swelling for that went down in 1 day this has been around 2 weeks already so theres no way its swelling plus the needle only went in twice . i think i saw a great improvement because mine has also been around 3 1/2 months since the indentation showed up. (my indentation showed up 2 whole freakin months after the initial shot!!! i got the shot in may the dent showed up end of july) i know for a fact the saline helped a lot and ill continue doing it till it disappears.

#14 sierralita

sierralita

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2007 - 06:54 PM

QUOTE(mary23 @ Nov 9 2007, 03:59 PM) View Post

ya mine was caused by a cortisone injection i dont have acne nor acne scars ive never had a problem with breakouts in my entire life and i still dont. i just got vain over one stupid pimple and decided to get it injected. you can buy collagen pills from any vitamin store im not sure if they help but i know they wouldnt hurt. also i know its not micro swellng becaue 2 months ago i had it filled with restalyne (mistake dont ever do it it actually looks like shit, gives it a donut effect i had the dr inject it with an enzyme that dissoloves restalyne so theres no more filler left in there). and the swelling for that went down in 1 day this has been around 2 weeks already so theres no way its swelling plus the needle only went in twice . i think i saw a great improvement because mine has also been around 3 1/2 months since the indentation showed up. (my indentation showed up 2 whole freakin months after the initial shot!!! i got the shot in may the dent showed up end of july) i know for a fact the saline helped a lot and ill continue doing it till it disappears.

Yeah, mine showed up two months later as well. At first I didn't know what the hell I was looking at. It was a really light shadow under my cheek. And it just got deeper and deeper! Then I remembered that she gave me the shot right in that place, right into my perfectly normal skin. I couldn't believe it. I'm so grateful for being told of this saline solution because I really was about to flip out -- who the hell needs new scars from scar treatments???? And this one looking like the mother of all acne scars. Jesus.

Well, I'll keep you updated, I'll definitely keep going with the saline until this thing is gone.

#15 heyo

heyo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2007 - 08:37 PM

How exactly are you flushing out the cortisone remains in the skin... I had a cortisone shot yesterday and conveniently found out about this risk of denting today. It's got me very worried despite talking to my doctor and her telling me that its highly unlikely. I wouldn't mind working to figure out a way of preventing the indentation. Any tips would be greatly appreciated and good luck with your process! Thanks in advance.
"I'm in repair,
- John Mayer

- Buddy Guy

#16 mary23

mary23

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:06 PM

QUOTE(heyo @ Nov 9 2007, 09:37 PM) View Post

How exactly are you flushing out the cortisone remains in the skin... I had a cortisone shot yesterday and conveniently found out about this risk of denting today. It's got me very worried despite talking to my doctor and her telling me that its highly unlikely. I wouldn't mind working to figure out a way of preventing the indentation. Any tips would be greatly appreciated and good luck with your process! Thanks in advance.

yours is still pretty early. im not trying to scare you or anything but my dent showed up 2 months after the cortisone injection. so i thought i was in the clear until i wake up and see it caving in until it reached its full potential. now its starting to fill in with the help of the saline. but you shouldnt worry just yet. youll notice it if you feel like that area of ur skin is thinning, then look into saline. hope that helps.

#17 tricia

tricia

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:08 PM

Well I'm pretty sure the cortisone injections contributed, since I had never scarred before and after a bad infection that spread around my face I had to get cortisone injections for the first time. However, they didn't work right away so I had to get a series. Then I was also prescribed corticosteroid cream! I didn't do the saline injections to my face until about three years after all this, and I didn't get amazing improvement. I did look better for the first week because anytime you stick a needle in my face it takes me a while for the swelling to completely go down. One would think it was gone but you really can't judge if all the swelling is gone till after a week. Of course the saline absorbed super fast in me, probably an hour, but the swelling can remain.

I don't think the saline "flushes" it out exactly, I thought it was helping to break up the scar tissue under there. However, maybe the salt, which is all it is, is helping cleanse the area too. I think anyone can give themselves their own saline injections, I found it very easy. It just didn't improve me as much as others.

#18 mary23

mary23

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:20 PM

QUOTE(tricia @ Nov 9 2007, 11:08 PM) View Post
Well I'm pretty sure the cortisone injections contributed, since I had never scarred before and after a bad infection that spread around my face I had to get cortisone injections for the first time. However, they didn't work right away so I had to get a series. Then I was also prescribed corticosteroid cream! I didn't do the saline injections to my face until about three years after all this, and I didn't get amazing improvement. I did look better for the first week because anytime you stick a needle in my face it takes me a while for the swelling to completely go down. One would think it was gone but you really can't judge if all the swelling is gone till after a week. Of course the saline absorbed super fast in me, probably an hour, but the swelling can remain.

I don't think the saline "flushes" it out exactly, I thought it was helping to break up the scar tissue under there. However, maybe the salt, which is all it is, is helping cleanse the area too. I think anyone can give themselves their own saline injections, I found it very easy. It just didn't improve me as much as others.

ya im not sure about the flushing either but if you search saline infiltration online an article will come up in a medical journal i think its called something like synergy and black something not sure, it explains 4 cases of subcutaneous fat atrophy 2 of them were cystic and the other 2 were intramuscular (those indentations are much much deeper then cystic) and they had weekly injections of saline for 6-8 weeks and they all had full resolution. it explains it needs to be done in the earlier stages because sometimes there are crystalized steroid left in the area which inhibits the regrowth of fat and once the saline "flushes the area" your skin returns to normal. ive personally spoken to about 3 people who did the saline and they all had great results. i think its about consistency and patience. im not sure if its the flushing or the stimulating of new collagen whatever it is i dont care im just glad its working.

#19 heyo

heyo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 November 2007 - 11:24 AM

Does anyone have any ideas about preventing it from happening. Supposedly I went to a credible dermatologist that wouldnt have gone overboard with the injection but I'm still pretty nervous at the thought of this happening. Is there any way to get remains of the injections out of your skin? annnnything? Thanks.
"I'm in repair,
- John Mayer

- Buddy Guy

#20 sierralita

sierralita

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 November 2007 - 02:45 PM

QUOTE(heyo @ Nov 10 2007, 11:24 AM) View Post
Does anyone have any ideas about preventing it from happening. Supposedly I went to a credible dermatologist that wouldnt have gone overboard with the injection but I'm still pretty nervous at the thought of this happening. Is there any way to get remains of the injections out of your skin? annnnything? Thanks.

I just had another saline shot today, and yet another cortisone shot in the hard scar that keeps coming back.

Personally I think it's pretty damn risky to get a cortisone shot into a cyst, because you're already at risk of scarring for that cyst, and you're not injecting it into a raised hard scar where you want to destroy that collagen above the skin, you're doing it into a cyst inside your skin. I don't think I would ever do that. Too much risk of fat atrophy.