Photo

Topiramate for Scars

keloid hypertrophic

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
182 replies to this topic

#41 olbarn

olbarn

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 January 2006 - 12:12 PM

QUOTE(IDBNVS2 @ Jan 7 2006, 11:50 AM) View Post

zxc,

How do you know that taking aspirin doesn't change your brain permanently. Hell, drinking alcoholic beverages changes your brain permanently cause it kills brain cells. Every significant experience you have changes your brain/thinking permanently. A car wreck, loss of a friend or family member, it's called life. zxc if you think about your scars as much as you apparently do your brain has changed permanently because of them.

The chance of this drug damaging people's minds as compared to the mental damage of scarring especially at these doses is like nothing especially when the FDA has approved doses up to 400 mgs daily.

be careful. just b/c aspirin, alcohol, or car wrecks, etc. could possibly change brain chemisty, it doesn't give validity to taking this drug, or any drug for that matter. furthermore, life experinces such as the loss of a friend or even obsessing over acne scars, have a much different impact on the mind/body than medication. anyone whose overcome something hard in their life would say it's more of a lesson than a mind altering experience. it's simply something happens to you externally and you deal with it internally, and your body is simply reacting using it's OWN chemical makeup. with medication, you're introducing a new chemical into your system. that changes everything. oh and aspirin is not anti-pschcotic-- it can't change your brain chemistry. this drug is however.

i'm not bashing this drug nessesarily-- it could work, especially if you only need very low doses to see improvements. however, you are somewhat playing guinnne pig with yourself.

did your dr. explain to you any sideffects, etc.? i know you said he sounded like taking this drug wasn't a big deal, but did he mention anything else?

also, do you know off-hand the dosage for controlling bi-polar? i'll also try and look this up. if it's really high, at least you know you're safe by taking the low dose.

#42 Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus

Leader of the Anti-Chuck Movement

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 17
About Me

Posted 07 January 2006 - 12:31 PM

I appreciate the concern people.

I did my homework and read the drug data sheets which is required to list all the pertinent side effects. My doctor and pharmacist did ask me if I had any questions. I have weighed the risks and really don't think I have much to worry about.

By the way this drug is defined as an anticonvulsant not antipsychotic. I don't think there is a set dosage for bipolar disorder and I know some seizure patients are taking 400 mg doses daily so I am taking 1/16th of that.

Again thanks but enough with the nannying.
"NickHonestly: it's a subliminal advertising technique they used
NickHonestly: they secretly put naked women on the packaging
NickHonestly: but it's hard to tell
Harry Eric Shun: I like to put naked women on my package too
Harry Eric Shun: what a coincidence"

#43 northernflower21

northernflower21

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 January 2006 - 12:48 PM

I know from experience that oral medications can remodel skin, including scars. I have been on accutane 60mg per day for two months in conjunction with vitamin K and I have seen wonderful results. My scars have filled in about 50%, the redness is diminished, and pores are smaller. the scars on my cheeks responded the best. Some very minor damage (red spots) have completly disappeared. Before taking accutane I cried at least once everyday and now I am so much more confident and feel like I have been given a second chance. The only side effect that I have experienced in dry skin, but nothing too bad.

#44 zxc

zxc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 January 2006 - 03:06 PM

IDBNVS2 I really appreciate you try this drug to see whether it works. And I only hope you will have the side effect of scar reduction.

#45 tp85

tp85

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 January 2006 - 03:11 PM

Best of luck IDBNVS2!

#46 j.l.r.m.

j.l.r.m.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 January 2006 - 01:18 AM

Yes, best of luck Colin. I'm going to try this drug too once I get off Accutane, we'll compare notes then smile.gif

#47 olbarn

olbarn

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 January 2006 - 05:30 PM

IDBNVS2

i found that bi-polar patients usually take about 75mg daily as a low dosage, so i guess that's what it takes for the drug to begin to have psychological effects. so 25mg does sound like it could be safe.

okay that's it for my nannying! done.

good luck and please keep us updated.

#48 tj101

tj101

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 January 2006 - 07:10 PM

Yes, great news indeed.

IDBNVS2, please keep us updated.

#49 xaviar

xaviar

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 January 2006 - 09:44 AM

Hmmmmmm Very interesting to say the least. I'll definately be keeping an eye on this thread , IDBVNS2. cool.gif

#50 zxc

zxc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 January 2006 - 09:50 AM

Does anybody know if this drug is a mix of many drugs or if it is just a drug in itself?

If it was a mix of many drugs it might be possible to find the single drug responsible for the scar-reduction?

#51 Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 January 2006 - 10:06 AM

zxc,

Read the drug info linked below. This is the released information and this is probably the only information you are going to get unless you know someone who works for the company.

Topamax (You will have to have Adobe Reader)

Anyways this is the only form you are going to get in, so why all the questions. It shows the molecular formula of the active ingredient. You aren't going to be able to mix this up in your backyard lab. The inactive ingredients seem pretty common so chances are the active ingredient is what affects the nerves/mind and any potential scar healing so they can't be separated.

#52 tricia

tricia

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 January 2006 - 11:02 AM

This thread is pretty interesting, keep us updated! Also let me know if there is any side effects such as weight gain, that would be a bummer sad.gif Trying to lose baby weight and all. I won't be trying this unless improvement is documented here, as I don't trust the other studies. It would be great if this stuff works though and getting rid of scars would cure alot of headaches smile.gif

#53 Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 January 2006 - 11:59 AM

tricia,

Actually this particular drug has shown to help people lose weight. It also reverses some negative health issues seen in diabetics which I think might contribute to the scars healing as it is known that diabetics do not heal as well as nondiabetics. But indeed it does have some negative side affects as well so it's not a miracle medicine.

#54 Dreaming Of Clear Skin

Dreaming Of Clear Skin

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 January 2006 - 04:38 PM

Weight loss, clearing acne scarring....sign me up. Sounds like the miracle I've always hoped for. Please keep us posted!!!!

BTW, my sister is bi-polar, I'll have to ask her if this is the med she takes.

#55 javier

javier

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 January 2006 - 10:18 PM

when i finished Roacutan, i will get this drug, here is prescripted to the epilepsyc people, dont be easy to get this drug, but i will try to get.

Well i hope that really work, i hope, ALL here HOPE THAT THIS DRUG WORK, and we can rid this scars. God help us

(im speak spanish)

#56 tricia

tricia

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 January 2006 - 12:13 AM

I think I am a bit OCD, who here isn't? maybe this drug would clear that too?? eusa_think.gif biggrin.gif I just wonder what would happen when you got off the drug. I assume you would after 3 months since the study said 3 months was the trial? You would think there would be another change in brain chemistry at that point too, especially if you were on it longer than three months and then stopped abruptly. Did the doctor mention anything about this? I would normally never consider taking a drug like this, even if approved by the FDA, they are not perfect by any means, however I know the stress we go thru with scars and wonder if it is worth the risk. Your health is so important and you don't realize it till you are sick and then scars seem less important. I just don't trust doctors and their supposedly safe drugs for long term usage unless seriously needed.

#57 zxc

zxc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 January 2006 - 09:36 AM

How do you do IDBNVS2? Have you taken some of the pills? How do you feel?

#58 Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 January 2006 - 10:32 AM

It's only been a week of 25 mg daily and I feel fine. I seriously doubt I will see any of the psychological effects of this stuff. If I don't see any changes in 3 months I will quit but if I see improvement and no side effects there would be no reason to stop until I am happy with the results. At 25 mgs it wouldn't be stopping abruptly I don't think. It's like drinking a tablespoon of coffee a day then stopping abruptly.

#59 zxc

zxc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 January 2006 - 10:34 AM

That sounds good - no side effects so far.

But you cannot see any difference in skin/scars? Maybe the skin texture has changed a bit? Or is it the same? (It might just be too early to tell I know...but anyway?)

#60 tj101

tj101

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 January 2006 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE(Melisconca @ Jan 12 2006, 02:11 PM) View Post

Topiramate has no effect on collagen remodelling. The study noted it had a modest effect in reducing the redness of scars it had no effect in reduction of acne scar depth. A former member of this board trialled this drug a few years ago with no improvement to acne scars. Topiramate can cause metabolic acidosis therefore users of this drug should undergo blood tests prior to commencement of the drug and periodic blood tests whilst on the drug as was indicated in the study itself.

Where's this info? The article I read said people with acne scarring had the most success.