347 replies to this topic

#341 ben100604

ben100604

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:26 AM

Not been too bad since the last post. Had some small whiteheads coming up on my forehead, but they're popped and gone almost straightaway. Not sure exactly why these seem to be coming up at the moment. Had a fair few in the last month. Still got a red mark on my left cheekbone. It's fading by the week, but veeeeeerrrrrrrrrry slowly.

Noticed there's a tender bit of skin just below my nose earlier. There's a very slight elevation to the skin there. Don't think it's going to be anything too bad though. Doesn't have that instant "OH MY GOD!" feel to it.

I was watching some videos on YouTube the other day of people who are on accutane. It made me realise just how mild my acne is. It's a couple of spots and some red marks at the most. Compared to people with 20 - 30 papules and another 30 red marks, it's nothing whatsoever. I just can't help chasing better skin though. It's difficult when you've had fully clear skin and then it's gone a few steps backwards.

When I'm clear, I'm on top of the world. When I have acne, I'm lost.

View my blog here

#342 ben100604

ben100604

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:43 AM

Well, it appears that there's a manufacturing problem with Duac (in the UK) and it's not currently available!

Last time I went to get my prescription, I was told by about 5 pharmacies that they couldn't get hold of any at the minute. I eventually found a pharmacy which had some and forgot all about it - I assumed there was maybe a slight delay with production. Anyway, I noticed that I was running low on Duac and remembered the issues I'd had previously. I rang a few pharmacies and they all said there were manufacturing issues. This was very troubling news as I've been using Duac for 8.5 years now! It reminded me of that terrible moment in 2002 when they stopped making Benzamycin for 6 months and my face exploded with acne.

I ended up ringing Glaxosmithkline (the makers) to see if they had any news and all they could say was that it might be available at the end of August. This date has already been pushed back a few times, so they couldn't guarantee this was definite. I began to panic a bit, but kept calm and investigated what options I had. The obvious idea was to get a topical clindamycin prescription and manually combine it with some benzoyl peroxide. I was aware that Dalacin T existed, but that comes as either a lotion or a solution. Then I found that there's a little known preparation called Zindaclin which is 1% clindamycin with zinc and comes in a gel. I spoke to my doctor and got a prescription for this.

I've been combining it with some 10% BP which I had lying around at home. I mix them up in my hands and then apply as normal. Been doing it three nights so far and no acne yet! My previous experience with changing topicals (which I haven't had to do since 2006!) is that if it's not going to work, you find out pretty damn quick. In 2002, when they stopped making Benzamycin, I got moved onto Zineryt and I had a big flare up within about five days. As I say, it's been three days and nothing yet. Who knows, perhaps this new combination - with stronger BP and some topical zinc - will actually work better than Duac. I'm still using Differin in the morning, so there is some consistency to my regime at present.

So, I'm not really sure what's going to happen. Will Duac be back any time soon? Will I end up staying on Zindaclin and BP?! Only time will tell!

View my blog here

#343 ben100604

ben100604

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:21 PM

Well it's been 5 days of Zindaclin and BP instead of Duac and I haven't exploded with acne yet. I have just found a tiny red dot in my moustache area - it's red, not painful and about 1-2mm across, so nothing terrible. I don't usually EVER get any kind of acne in this area, though, so it's a bit weird. It may well end up dying overnight, but who knows? Who knows anything in this crazy acne life?

The lack of an acne disaster, however, is a positive sign. Plus, there's no sight of anything popping up in my acne prone areas e.g. nose and cheekbones, so that's another reason to be confident. Still, it's early days. Once I get to Friday, and can say that I've done a week of this new regimen, then I'll feel a little more confident. For now, though, I'm still feeling a little anxious.

View my blog here

#344 ben100604

ben100604

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 August 2014 - 06:02 AM

Been using Zindaclin and BP in place of Duac for over a week now and there's been no disasters!

The spot in my moustache area from my last blog was pretty insignificant in the end. It was dead the next day and it's not even left a mark. I've had a couple of tiny red dots - about 1mm - but I get things like that even when my skin's at its best. Things are looking positive then and I feel pretty confident that Zindaclin isn't going to ruin my life.

I'm still hoping that, somehow, Zindaclin and BP turns out to be more effective than Duac. I'm not really sure how this would happen as they're pretty much the same as Duac - the only difference is that the BP I'm using is 10% instead of the 5% stuff in Duac. All I can do is sit back and watch how my skin copes in the next few weeks.

For now, though, I'm pretty happy.

View my blog here

#345 ben100604

ben100604

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 September 2014 - 01:56 PM

It's been three weeks now of Zindaclin and 10% BP in place of Duac and I've barely had anything to report. One small whitehead on my forehead and that's about it. It's too early to be celebrating a new era of clear skin as I've had good 2/3 month periods before. Still, clear skin is CLEAR SKIN!

Duac is available again now in the UK, but I'm going to stick with my current regimen for now and see how I get on!

View my blog here

#346 ben100604

ben100604

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:05 AM

Had my first bad spot last week since starting Zindaclin. It's to the right of my nose and kind of medium sized. It started off painful, but the pain subsided after a couple of days. Unfortunately, a week on and the spot is still there. A couple of times, I've found a small head formed on the side of it. I've squeezed this out and a very thin sliver of pus has come out. Doesn't seem to have killed it off though. Annoyed that it's hanging around, but it's not the worst spot I've had this year.

Also found a spot on my left hand cheekbone this morning. Quite small, no pain, but I think it's going to form a head. It's got that 'full of pressure' feel that means something is brewing inside it. Have to see what it's like in the morning.

A bit disappointing, then, as I suspect Zindaclin and BP isn't going to the be the magical treatment I thought it might be. Still, two medium spots in 7.5 weeks isn't bad going. I've just got to to pray that I don't see any more for a while!

View my blog here

#347 ben100604

ben100604

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 October 2014 - 11:37 AM

The spot to the right of my nose has flattened out a fair bit since my last post, so I'm happy about that. Also, the spot on my left cheekbone got a bit of a head on it and died shortly after that. There's a slight red mark there now, but nothing that will be long lasting.

Zindaclin with 10% BP then is proving to be quite good. Will still have to give it a month or so to get a better understanding of it's efficiency, but for now I'm positive!

View my blog here

#348 ben100604

ben100604

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 October 2014 - 10:42 AM

The spot on my left cheek left a bit of a mark in the end which is irritating. Then, last week, I had a spot come up to the left of my nose. It wasn't painful or huge, but it's taken a while to go down. Another red mark. I also had a little whitehead come up last weekend - I squeezed the pus out quite easily and it was flat in a day or two, but it's left another red mark!

So, I've got two noticeable red marks, one slightly noticeable red mark and about three very faded red marks which are barely noticeable. It doesn't sound a lot, but it's enough to get me down. Zindaclin and BP may be a tiny bit better than Duac, but we're only talking a very small percentage. Nothing revolutionary.

My one future hope, topical minocycline, had a feature in the local UK press a few weeks back which is positive. However, they noted it will be about 2 - 3 years until it's actually available. I've got a long, long wait on my hands.

View my blog here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users