344 replies to this topic

#321 ben100604

ben100604

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

Been two months since my last blog post! Had pretty much nothing in that time which is great for me! It's even more pleasing because around this time last year my skin was going pretty bad. Fingers crossed I'll continue to stay clear!

#322 ben100604

ben100604

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:36 PM

Not posted for a while. Had some good, long periods of clear skin and a few spots along the way. A few weeks back I had two come up at once - I know, so many! One was to the right of my eye and there's still a red mark there which is pretty annoying to have. The other was in the gap in between my eyebrows, but it's completely gone now.

Found a red medium spot to the left of my nose about an hour ago. Not sure how long it's been there for as I don't tend to look in the mirror that much these days. That's only because I've got a busier job than I used to have and I can't spend ages in the toilets at work just staring into the mirror at my crappy skin. Anyway, this new one is noticeable, but there's no pain. Might even have started to go by the morning. Fingers crossed.

#323 ben100604

ben100604

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:10 AM

Well the spot from Thursday night seemed to split into two yesterday. I woke up to find the spot hadn't changed much overnight. By lunchtime though a tiny whitehead had formed next to the main spot. I squeezed this quite easily and it seemed to die. Didn't change much throughout the rest of the day. Woke up this morning to find the whole thing had flattened and felt a bit scaly now. Hopefully it won't leave much of a red mark.

Unfortunately, last night, an almost identical spot sprang up on the right hand side of my nose. Again, there's no pain to it and it hasn't changed overnight. Makes me feel crap though as it's two spots in two days. Just got to pray that this latest one has died by tomorrow.

#324 ben100604

ben100604

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:39 AM

Spot from the LH side of my nose is now just a red mark which is fading quickly. The one to the RH side of my nose is almost completely flat and just a normal skin colour, so not noticeable. Should be looking good in a couple of days...

#325 ben100604

ben100604

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:23 PM

My breakouts from the other week are barely noticable now. The only thing I had come up last week was a tiny, tiny spot to the left of my nose. Nothing to worry about, so looking clear.

This afternoon I felt a lump on my chin. I checked in the mirror and it's red, but not really any pain - only the slightest hint of pain when I press on it. Now, my chin is probably the most consistently clear area on my entire face. I hardly ever get anything there, so it's a bit strange to get something pop up there. In the last 8 years, I've probably had less than 10 spots there which is pretty good going in my books. I get the feeling it may start to disappear by tomorrow. Let's hope it does anyway.

#326 ben100604

ben100604

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:15 PM

Not had much to report since my last post. Pretty sure that I haven't had any bad spots which is always good news! Do have a blemish at the minute on the right hand side of my face. It's king of near my cheek and near my mouth - not swollen, but red and flat. Doesn't look great, but I can survive this. Got a little tiny spot under my left eye too, but that'll die quickly.

#327 ben100604

ben100604

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:03 AM

Skin's been fairly quiet since the last post on here. A few spots have popped up here and there, but nothing severe. Had one come up yesterday on my chin - a rare place for me - which was really painful this morning, but doesn't feel as bad now. Not horrendously red either, so hopefully it'll die fairly soon.

I've been reading online that a topical minocycline foam has entered phase 3 trials which is very exciting. I've never used minocycline before, so I think it would do a really good job at taking on my skin. It's a shame it's not being made with benzoyl peroxide, but I look forward to any future developments. Will probably be a couple of years - at least - before it hits the market though.

Edited by ben100604, 14 October 2013 - 10:47 AM.

#328 ben100604

ben100604

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:48 AM

The spot on my chin went down pretty quickly and has only left a mild red mark which isn't very noticeable. Found a really painful spot to the side of my ear today just below my sideburn. Get the feeling it's going to get a head on it as it's so painful. Thankfully it doesn't really stand out where it is.

#329 ben100604

ben100604

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:24 PM

Things have been very quiet skinwise. Very quiet. It's kind of weird just how quiet. I keep expecting to be hit with a big spot, but it's not happened yet. It's been maybe 6/7 weeks since my last noticeable one. I get the odd twinge of pain occasionally from somewhere on my nose, but it's gone the next day. Just got to pray that it continues for as long as possible. Maybe in another month I'll feel a bit more optimistic about any long term potential.

#330 ben100604

ben100604

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:06 PM

Another quiet week, but I do have this tiny flat red mark along the top of my lip. It's not got any bigger throughout the week, but it's not got any smaller either. Might die soon. Hope it does!

#331 ben100604

ben100604

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:12 PM

Well my great run of clear skin came to an end about 10 days ago. First off, I found a spot on my chin. Quite big, but not painful and in the little crease where my chin meets my face. I could deal with this, so didn't worry too much. Then three days after that, I find another spot coming up on my chin on the other side of that little crease. Finally, a few days later I get a red spot come up below my eye!

The first spot is completely flat now and there's just a red mark. The second spot is still red and a lump, but no pain and going down albeit slowly. The spot below my eye is shrinking, but yeah, three red marks across my face. You can probably add two more tiny red marks to that total too. I'm feeling down about it. I genuinely thought my skin had turned a corner. It had been nearly 3 months with nothing terrible happening. Who knows, maybe it's just a one off blip. Nothing else has come up for the last 4/5 days, but I've got red marks to deal with now. Damnit!

#332 ben100604

ben100604

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:50 PM

Things had cleared up by Christmas, thankfully, so I was able to have a good time skinwise. Had a blip this week though. Found a tiny bump just above the gap in my eyebrows on Monday. Didn't seem like anything major as there was no redness present. Then, on Wednesday, it suddenly felt bigger and looked redder. Today it looks worse and is more painful. Suspect it will pester me all weekend. Won't be going out too much as a result. It's not a HUGE spot, but it's in a prominent place and it's got that shiny, red look. Not happy.

#333 ben100604

ben100604

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:46 AM

The spot from my last update died at the weekend. Just a red mark now and not too noticeable. Found a lump on the side of my nose earlier, but no pain. There's a good chance it'll go down overnight. I'm somewhat of an expert now at predicting how my spots will turn out, so fingers crossed I've got that right!

I realised, the other day, that at the end of February it will be 5 years since I've felt mega confident about my skin. Back in those days, I'd get around one spot every six weeks. It would heal rather quickly and be gone in a few days. Then, in Feb 09, I started breaking out again - at least one spot a week. And some of them were huge. It's been on/off since then. Mostly pretty good, but some bad spells as well. It's knocked my confidence and I always go to sleep wondering if I'll have a breakout the next day. It didn't used to be like that and I pray that, one day, I reach that point again.

#334 ben100604

ben100604

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 May 2014 - 12:22 PM

Not updated for nearly 6 months! Not had too much to report. I think around about the last time I posted I ended up with a couple of medium spots and a red mark all on my face at one point. That's about as bad as it's been. I can't recall many bad spots at all, so it's been a good year. Had a few big social events recently and I've not had anything to worry about skinwise, but still that niggling worry persists!

Last time I went to get my Duac prescription, the pharmacist told me that there was a problem with the 25g and 50g tubes (the 5% BP strength ones). Instead, I was given 30g tubes of Duac with just 3% BP strength. I didn't even know these existed, but a little research tells me they're fairly new. The clindamycin content remains the same, but I was worried whether my skin would take a turn for the worse. It's not been that bad, but I have noticed a few more whiteheads that usual. Nothing big, but they leave a little red mark which irritates me! I need to get a new prescription of Duac next week, so it will be interesting to see if the 5% is available again. I've searched online and can't see anything about supply issues, so hopefully it was just a temporary problem.

#335 ben100604

ben100604

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:49 PM

Finally got my latest prescription of Duac and the 5% strength version is available again after the supply issues last month. The packaging has been completely redesigned - not sure if I like it, but it's had the same design for as long as I've been using it (8 years), so I guess the change might take a while to sink in.

Had an annoying week with my skin. Had a spot come up on my left cheekbone last weekend which stuck around for a few days. It's almost flat now, but a little bit irritating. Worse still, had a small spot come up just below my nose. Feels full of pus, but not been able to squeeze anything out. Got a big social event next week and want it to go down asap!

#336 ben100604

ben100604

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 June 2014 - 01:38 PM

Just found a spot at the top of my left cheek. Really annoyed about this. Spots in that area are rare, so I always get a little scared when spots pop up in unusual places. The reason I get scared is because that's often been the beginning of a crap phase for my skin. Hopefully, it's a one off, but only time will tell. First spot I've had in two weeks, but damn it annoys the hell out of me and makes me feel sick.

#337 ben100604

ben100604

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:30 PM

The spot from last week has stuck around, but not got any bigger. Got a bit smaller and there's no pain to it, but doesn't appear to be going anywhere quick. It's not terrible, but I just wish it would start to die a bit quicker! It, thankfully, didn't herald an avalanche of acne as I feared last week. Had a tiny whitehead on my chin earlier, but it's been popped and I suspect will have disappeared by the morning.

Realised the other day that I've been posting on here for over 10 years now. Much better off now than I was in 2004, but not as good as, say, 2006 - 2008. There must come a point where my acne calms down a bit or some new drug comes out with really helps, but the future looks a bit empty at the minute. I've mentioned, a few times, on here about a topical minocycline drug which is planned. However, reading into it last week, it appears that the trials will take ages and the product probably won't be out until 2018. Which is a long wait.

#338 ben100604

ben100604

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:18 PM

Not much change to the spot on my left cheek. Maybe it feels a little bit 'deader', but there appears to be 2 or 3 heads beneath its surface. Quite by accident, I cut one open last night whilst having a shave. I didn't realise until about 30 minutes after I'd shaved and I looked in the mirror to see a scarlet-red scab across the spot from where the blood had trickled out and dried. It hasn't died off since then unfortunately. The other heads won't pop - I just tried. Tomorrow will see the spot celebrating its one week anniversary. Still, nothing else has come up in the meantime which is a good sign. I guess this is just one of those really unlucky moments in the world of acne. God knows I've had plenty over the years and will have plenty to come.

It's been five years since I felt comfortable about my skin. And when I say comfortable, I mean not worried that it's going to explode. Ever since 2009, I've always felt like I'm teetering on a precipice between ok skin and outbreak hell. For about 3 years between 2006 - 2009 I had damn good skin. There was the odd month or two where I might get some outbreaks, but they were little blips. Since 2009, though it's not been as great. There have been good periods - most of last year was pretty good - but there have also been bad periods e.g. 6 months in 2009 and another 6 in 2012 which were pretty tough to handle. My skin should surely be getting better as I get older. It's certainly a lot better than it was 10 years ago - I can't see myself ever having acne like that again. Sadly, my mother's skin (which is very similar to mine) has only started clearing up since she hit 60. That's a long way off for me. She doesn't use any medication though, so maybe that'll save me a few years as I intend to use topicals until I don't need them.

At present, I feel really crap. I need perspective though as it could be a lot worse and HAS been a lot worse. Just over 2 years ago I had three nasty pustules in the center of my face that wouldn't die. It was pretty ugly, so one spot on the side of my cheek surely can't be that bad. It feels bad though as I have to live in the present. Currently in one of the down sections of the acne rollercoaster.

#339 ben100604

ben100604

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:32 PM

Spot on my left cheek finally staring to die! None of the dreaded hairs ripened into pus filled eyesores, so I was happy about that. It's still very red, but it's starting to flatten out now.

This good news has been punctured, though, by the emergence of a spot on my chin. It's grown throughout the day and is quite painful, if not overly red. Made me feel rather disappointed as I was starting to feel a bit better last night. My chin has been more active in the last year or so. Previously, I hadn't had much in that area from 2005 onwards, but there's a definitely been a surge in numbers since then.

I realised today that I hardly ever get spots to the left or right of my nose or on it. That was always my worst area for years, but now it's probably one of my best. My skin never fails to confuse me!

#340 ben100604

ben100604

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:18 PM

Not had too much since the last update. Currently have a red mark from the spot of my left cheek and still have one just to the bottom side of my nose from about 5 weeks ago! Found a little bump on my right cheek today - it was tiny (about 2mm across), but quite painful. There was a little head on it, so I squeezed that out. It doesn't seem to have shrunk much though. Looks more like a layer of skin has peeled off. Got the feeling that a scab might form.

I'm meeting up with some friends on Saturday who have managed to never see me with bad skin. A couple of them have perhaps seen me with 3 - 4 spots on my face, but luckily I've always avoided them in my 'hellish times'. I'm a little nervous that something will pop up from now til then - last weekend I became convinced I had a big spot coming up on the side of my nose, but it was nothing. At the minute, I'm going to have 2 faded red marks and whatever this thing on my cheek turns out to be. I've got tiny, tiny red flecks here and there, but I can't worry about things like that or I'd go mad. Fingers crossed that I make it to Saturday ok!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users