My log/blog/epitath

405 posts in this topic

Day 48

Good news is that the spot on my nose has virtually gone, the blackhead thing is now flat, although there is still a blackhead there. Had a few little red spots come up on my forehead, they are all tiny though apart from one which is forming a whitehead. I'm not too bothered by it though and its only the 2nd or 3rd whitehead I've had in the last 6 weeks. To the right of my nose I've found what appears to be a little bit of hard(?) skin covering a pore, it doesn't appear to be inflamed and its not painful. I've had them a few times before, they usually just go after a day or two with little trouble. So its not been bad so far this week, although my bad spots always seem to come up at the weekend. Still no sign of any up coming acne on my right hand cheekbones, which certainly does seem to have calmed down over the last 3 weeks

When I'm clear, I'm on top of the world. When I have acne, I'm lost.

Day 50

Day 50, what a little milestone. Is my skin better than it was 50 days ago? I'd have to say yes.

The whitehead that came up on day 48, was popped on day 48. It just scabbed up a little bit and then the scab came off earlier today. Nothing else has turned up, but the week is still young.

Angling the bathroom cabinet mirrors, I can get a reallly good view of the side of my face. A lot of red marks have disappeared over the last 2 months on my cheekbones. Although quite a few red marks have been left recently on my right hand cheekbone, but they're fading more and more each week. My right hand cheekbone hasn't even come close to breaking out this week, no suspicious lumps or anything.

Still though I always have redness on my face in various places. Will it fade away? One day I expect it will, but not anytime soon

Day 51

Not much change today, although the little red mark from the whitehead on my forehead has nearly gone. However, about 2 hours ago, I found a tiny little bump on my right hand cheekbone, not red or painful, but y'know, anything in that area concerns me. Have to wait and see what happens overnight

Day 56

eeek! Not updated for a few days!

The little bump that I discovered on Saturday evening, disappeared before it became anything. Since then, my skin has enjoyed its quietest spell in the last 3.5 years. Theres not really been any scares or anything.

Things are so good at the minute, its difficult to write it all down without sounding like a madman, but I'm feeling real good at the minute!!!!

Day 58

Had a little spot pop up on day 57, but that seemed to just dry up and then came off my skin this morning when I poked at it. My right hand cheekbones haven't broken out with anything for 2 weeks now, so perhaps that is the end of that! Not much else to say for now!

Day 59

I was watching a DVD last night and I fell asleep about 12, woke up about 3.30am and realised that I hadn't put my duac on. Was far too tired to do anything apart from go to the toilet. Should be ok though, I've occasionally missed application of duac or differin and been ok. I did find a little spot on the left hand side of my face this morning, but thats probably just coincidence and isn't that noticeable

Day 60

The little spot I found yesterday morning, has gone down a little but, but its so tiny anyway, so doesn't matter I guess.

I was in the hairdressers an hour ago and the one I go to, theres two levels, an upper level and a lower one. In the lower level, the lighting in there always makes my skin look great. The upper level lighting is not so great, regardless of that I could see that my skin wasn't looking terrible. It did highlight a little blemish next to my eye, but its not a big or painful thing, so hopefully should go soon.

The red marks on my right hand cheekbone are still there but have faded a lot over the last two weeks and haven't been replaced with any new ones.

so I've done two months now of duac/differin and I'm looking so much better than before. All I seem to have got over the last two week are really tiny little spots. My skin isn't looking quite as red either which is good. The texture does even appear to look better, but I think thats down to a more even skin tone. I don't think my skin will ever be truly normal unfortunately, but all I can do is make sure its as good as it can be. I've only had one slightly bad spot in the last two weeks, a whitehead on my forehead, so things are looking up.

Back again! Just noticed in the mirror that the little spot I ahd come up on day 57 seems to have come back to life, still small, but grr makes me angry. I've only really got two tiny little blemishes at the minute, but the clearer I get, the clearer I want to get/stay!!!!!!! A year ago I would have killed to look like this and now I want MORE MORE MORE! Acne sucks

Day 61

The two blemishes from yesterday haven't changed much, so at least it looks as though they're not gonna erupt. The one on my right hand cheek is quite noticeable though. I was standing in the kitchen earlier with the fluorescent light on up above and looking in a hand mirror about 2 foot in front of me and its nowhere near as bad as it was a month ago. So, I am getting better, but it seems so slooooooow.

Last night about an hour before I went to bed, I could feel something painful on my nose, thats disappeared now! The last thing I need right now is nose acne! I've had some dry skin round my nose the last two days, I think that might be due to the cold weather we're having at the minute.

Day 63

The spots from day 61 seem to have almost gone now, the one next to my eye has 90% gone and the one on my left hand cheek seemed to turn to a scab and then some dry skin flaked off where it had been and now theres just a faded red mark. But, damnit, I then get a whitehead sorta thing coming up on my right hand cheek, i tried to pop it this morning and a tiny bit of pus came out and then the spot seemed to swell up a bit and then go down a few hours later. I'm not that bothered by it though. There might be a little red spot coming up above my moustache area, but I cant be sure. I suppose this week has been pretty bad, but the spots I've had come up have been tiny. Just a blip perhaps

Day 65

Woke up yesterday and everything seemed to have gone down/faded a bit more, so I was feeling pretty happy about that. I woke up this morning though and nothing new had come up, then I noticed that the 'whitehead thing' that came up on day 63, was now completely flat, but had a left a rather large red mark. Thats pissed me off a bit, although I do think that its perhaps a red mark that may start peeling pretty soon.

This week has frustrated me quite a bit. I've had about 3 spots come up, all of which were not bad, but they all seemed to be in the most noticeable places and then I found this red mark this morning. I mean, even clear skinned people, get bad weeks. In my 2001/02 period where I was clear skinned, I had breakouts that lasted all week, which were worse than this, but things always returned to clarity pretty soon. The two weeks before this seemed to go pretty good, so maybe this week was just a 'bad week'. On and On I trudge

Day 66

And still the horror continues! Yep, two more of these tiny spots and again they're where the other little ones have bee, kind of running from the right hand top of where my moustache would be and upwards. Not big, but aggggggghhhhhhhh, I dont want anything coming up. Apart from the whitehead on my left cheek, I haven't had any hint of spots coming up anywhere eles, just this one region.

The strange red mark on my left hand cheek is still there. Yesterday afternoon I touched it and it felt as though some dry skin was forming over it, so i went to peel it off. It wasn't dry skin though, it seemed quite elastic, like normal skin. Its very odd as its left such a definite red mark from a shortly lived spot. Since then I've left it and can feel that new skin is forming over it. Hopefully, it wont take too long to heal.

Even though, this has been a bad week. Its only a bad week in comparison to the last two weeks, which were pretty quiet from what I can remember. One good thing is that its now 3 weeks since anything came up on my right hand cheekbone!

Day 67

Well everything on my right hand cheek seems to have gone down quite a bit. The red mark on my left cheek is still there, doesnt seem as brilliantly red as yesterday, but still stands out. About an hour ago I found a spot to the left of my nose, its not particularly red or painful so I'm not too worried about it, it doesn't seem to stand out too much.

When I look in the mirror, I see that I am a lot better than I was, but I'm still not close too how I was in 2001/02 when my acne was just stopped dead. I don't know If I'll ever be that clear again, least not in the near future. Maybe as I get older and things calm down, then perhaps I'll get clearer. Maybe a new medication will come out which is damn effective. I cant see myself ever being happy with the state of my skin. But we never know whats gonna happen, in early may 2001, I couldnt imagine being clear skinned, but by the end of june 2001 I was, so who knows

Day 69!

This week looks to have gone pretty well, compared to last week. Red marks from last week have faded really quick. I found a painful area on my forehead earlier, not severely painful though,but noticeable. Probably won't come to much.

Its funny how different I feel this week compared to last week. I was getting little spots here and there and it was making me stupidly unhappy. This week has been calm though and I feel fine. The world of acne is a damn strange one

Day 73

Not too much has happened since the last update. The painful area on my forehead never came to much and had disappeared by saturday morning! Had one whitehead come up on the top right of my forehead where my hairline starts, so its not that noticeable. I popped it this morning and its gone down a bit. However, I did find a tiny little bump to the right of my nose, its pretty insignificant though. I had a similar thing to the left of my nose at the start of the week and that went without any fuss, this one should too.

Currently happy

Day 83

Not updated for over a week as barely anything has happened. All I seem to get are these tiny red spots with no inflammation surrounding them, they don't last too long either! Last night however, I did find a fairly painful area on my forehead and it has swollen up a bit today.

Today its been pretty sunny here in the uk and I decided to take the opportunity to test how bad skin was in a particular light. Up until today, If I stood by my kitchen window holding a mirror, what I saw would absolutely horrify me. I hadn't done it for about 6 weeks for this very reason. Today showed me that there has been a load of improvement. Theres a more consistent tone to my skin now. Still not great great though, even these little red spots I get and barely notice, still leave a red mark! I haven't had acne on my right hand cheekbones now for about 5+ weeks and theres still red marks on there, although they dont show up so much in most other lights.

Overall though I'm pretty happy with it and would be really happy if I didn't have this bastard on my forehead. Should be gone by the weekend though.

Day 85

Spot on my forehead has gone down a lot, just a bit of redness now and a small bump. Got 2 of these tiny little spots that I seem to get at the minute, they are both under my right eye, they aren't that much hassle but still, its more than most people have to put up with. Unfortunately I've realised today that I may be getting ready for a fucker of a spot coming. A coupla weeks ago, I noticed that I had what looked like a little whitehead above my moustache area. It appeared to be just under the surface of the skin, I think its what people refer to as an 'embedded' whitehead, anyway its swollen up a bit over the last 2 weeks and is not like a red bump, although there is no pain whatsoever, its just like a red bump in the skin. I had something similar to this at the start of the year and it lasted for several weeks before it started going down. I hope to dear god that this isn't going to take the same long course. Maybe it wont be as bad as my skin isn't as inflammatory as it was the last time one formed, we'll have to wait and see. I think i'll try icing it at night, even though I don't really believe that does anything.

Looked at my skin in a mirror in the kitchen last night under some fluorescent lights and it often kills me when I do that, I think its perhaps one of the worst lights to look at your skin in. It really does show off all the pores around my nose and on my forehead. It also shows off all the different shades of red that make up my skin. Its times like that, that really upset me about my skin. I dont think I will ever have normal skin, I really dont. My active acne count is very low these days, but damage has been done in the past and I have oily skin which makes everything look worse.

Day 85 (cont..)

Just found a potential spot on the side of my nose!!!! AGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!! Not had one here for ages, maybe it will go. HAve to wait and see what the morning brings

Day 86

Today. hmmm. The spot on my forehead is now completely flat and theres little redness and the spot on my nose that I was panicing about had gone by the morning which is good. The bastard spot I was on about yesterday that is a potential long termer is still alive though!!!!!! Also, I've got a mole near my moustache area and it looks like a spots coming up there, but halfs trapped under the mole and the rest is kinda poking out. Its quite red, but not particularly painful. With only half of i showing I suppose it only looks half as bad as it could! Everywhere else is ok though I suppose. I ahvent had any bad red marks for about 4/5 weeks now and I think thats made a difference to the tone of my skin, but i've still got a few fading redmarks on my right hand cheekbone. Not a great week really, I suppose I looked better last weekend

Day 88

Had a good coupla days! The spot under my mole had developed a head yesterday morning and that was duely popped and seems to have healed quite a bit. That spot which I was worried about becoming a monster one just above my moustache area has shrunk a bit, so fingers crossed that isn't going to turn out like I thought it would. The little tiny spots I had come up during the week have all gone down now as well.

Day 90

Little change over the last few days. Had 2 of those tiny spots come up on either cheekbone. Not much to worry about. Theres no trace of the spot that was under my mole now. The monster one I was worrying about has got no bigger either, just a very little lump now, still a bit red where it is though. I'm a little bit annoyed because I had about 3 of these tiny spots last week, with 2 being under my eye and 1 being a little further down, they're all flat now, but have all left a little red mark

How's it going, Ben?

What happened after 90 days?????

Retired from Acne.org

Day 122

Not updated for a coupla weeks but things are going great. I am so clear! The clearest I've been for 4 years! Few red marks left now, although theres a general red tinge to my face, but thats not that noticeable really! THINGS ARE GOOD GOOD GOOD!

Day 129

Little change this week. There was a bit of pain/tenderness on my nose the other day, but that disappeared after a few hours. Still oily though and I can't ever see that changing, not til I'm old anyway!

It was 10th May 2004 that my skin started fucking up again after a 3 month relatively clear spell. I remember standing in the bathroom after 2 weeks of breaking out and looking in the mirror; I looked absolutely terrible in the sunlight. Last night I performed the same task and realised that I looked a million times better.

I'm kinda pissed though. I lost nearly two years of my life to worrying about acne 24/7. It was a time in my life that I should have been sorting out my future, but I just couldn't get over the acne. At the back of my mind theres a sneaking suspicion that this period of clear skin will come to and end at somepoint. There is bound to be some sort of antibiotic resistence which builds up to the clindamycin. However, I used benzamycin gel on and off for about 6 years and it was still working fairly effectively last year. I don't know if there is any difference between oral and topical antibiotics in the way resistence builds up. Between 2001 and 2002 oral doxycycline seemed to become less effective for my acne. In between those dates, I was using Benzamycin Gel and 200mg of doxy per day and it got me the clearest I have ever been, like 100% clear. Towards the end of that time, I was starting to break out a little bit more than usual and then they stopped making Benzamycin Gel for a while. My skin then went to hell. I got back on this combination in 2004 and it did virtually nothing, but Benzamycin Gel with differin did make a difference. I think my acne bacteria have built up a resistence to oral doxycycline and had Benzamycin Gel not stopped production in 2002, that my acne would have resurfaced eventually anyway as the bacteria became immune to doxy. I first went on doxycycline in early 2000, so it took about 2 1/2 years for any evidence of resistence to become apparent.

I am going to try and enjoy my life as much as possible, whilst I am clear. Between May 2004 and about September 2005 I only went into my town centre about 3 or 4 times as I wanted to avoid everyone I know. Even then I used to go early sunday mornings because I dreaded seeing people so much. If ever I had to do some sort of shopping trip, I would go way out of town to other towns, so I could stay anonymous. It was probably the unhappiest time of my life. Thankfully, I have been going out loads the last 2-3 months as my skin has got better. Its the most social I've been for so long. When my acne was bad I could never plan ahead for things as I didn't know how bad I'd be feeling; These days I can plan ahead and its a good feeling.

Day 133

On Monday I could feel that the left hand side of my nostrils was quite tender and painful to the touch. There was a similar area on my nose and I was thinking "oh well, I expect they'll come up but be gone by the weekend........". The next day, the pain was gone!!! Potential spots come and go so quickly today. Acne paranoia still present; I became convinced that I had spot coming up under my eye, but it was just the outline of a little scar I could feel. Not much else to say at the moment!