This topic is archived.
33 replies to this topic

#1 Ty189

Ty189

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 December 2005 - 04:02 PM

Hey i was just wondering if anyone out there has tried doryx before, my sister starting taking it about a year ago and it completly cleared up her skin, i was thinking about trying ti but wondered if anyone else had similar results
Death has always defined us. The first creatures to laugh were also the first creatures that knew they were to die. Self-awareness means, above all, awareness of one's own ultimate extinction. But looking at death is like staring at the sun. It cannot be done.

#2 AEC101

AEC101

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 29
About Me

Posted 27 December 2005 - 03:50 PM

i was on this and its the same as doxycycline only it has something in it to help keep your stomach from being irritated. i have really good insurance and it still cost me over a 100 b/c there is no generic. so unless you have stomach problems i would just try one of the 'cycline antibiotics...
oh, by the way it didn't help me at all... sorry sad.gif

#3 cat_power

cat_power

what did you do those three days you were dead?

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:<br />indie music, lots of bands (placebo, bloc party, nirvana, smashing pumpkins, funeral for a friend, pixies, bodyjar, taking back sunday, after the fall, kisschasy, system of a down, oasis, ani difranco, tori amos, jeff buckley, brand new, dashboard confessional), travelling, Tasmania, music festivals, reading good books (faves are prozac nation, catcher in the rye, scar tissue, davinci code, kate moss bio), inspiring people (my nanna, my mum &amp; dad, my lovely sis and my best friends), tattoos, vodka, sushi, food in general, good skin days, PRISON BREAK!, dominic purcell &amp; wentworth miller...lush, walking, ipods, vintage clothes.

Posted 27 December 2005 - 06:53 PM

i'm currently taking 100mg/day doryx and have been for about 2 months...i've noticed a huge improvement and my skin is almost completely clear...i've also noticed absolutely no side-effects but i'm scared about going off this drug because no doubt it'll all come back again GRR sad.gif

in australia where i'm from 25 tabs of doryx costs only $4.60 so it's darn cheap
STARTED ACCUTANE 2/10/07

was on 20mg/day for 2 months

now on 40mg/day and still breaking out...

wondering when this shit will EVER end...

#4 JennyQ

JennyQ

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 December 2005 - 03:16 PM

I too take Doryx. I love it. My skin looks awesome. I also switched to the generic form Doxycicline and for a 30 day supply it only costs me $7.10 with my insurance. Totally worth it!
Good Luck

#5 agslater

agslater

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:55 PM

I've been on doryx for about a month now...my acne has gotten so bad, the worst it's ever been, all around my chin and around my mouth. I've been assured this is normal and that it will take up two three months to see any improvement. Any one else go through this? Please tell me it's going to get better and that there won't be any residual scaring or reddness!!

#6 LaMona

LaMona

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:45 AM

Ive been on this medication(100MG) for almost 4 weeks now and i have not seen improvement. eusa_snooty.gif Ive been breaking out a lot more and its those suckers that HURT! shock.gif I do see that they only last for a couple of days and dry quickly. Which is good. biggrin.gif But i guess it takes time to see the results.

#7 amu.

amu.

hello(:

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:killing acnee.

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:24 PM

i take doxycycline, but only for a day! can't wait to see if i get results.
regimen!

mornings;
mario badescu enzyme cleansing gel
mario badescu special cleansing lotion c
acne.org treatment
mario badescu control moisturizer for oily skin
mario badescu collagen moisturizer (SPF-15) -*for suncare, not a moisturizer
mario badescu special healing powder

evenings;
mario badescu enzyme cleansing gel
mario badescu special cleansing lotion c
acne.org treatment
acne.org AHA+ OR mario badescu control moisturizer for oily skin
nondiluted 100% tea tree oil applied to spots
doxycycline 100mg

#8 rydog

rydog

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 May 2009 - 01:48 PM

i have been taking doryx for 4 months and have seen no results.

#9 diegojc

diegojc

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 May 2009 - 06:26 AM

QUOTE (agslater @ Jan 12 2009, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been on doryx for about a month now...my acne has gotten so bad, the worst it's ever been, all around my chin and around my mouth. I've been assured this is normal and that it will take up two three months to see any improvement. Any one else go through this? Please tell me it's going to get better and that there won't be any residual scaring or reddness!!

It got worse for me too in the first month. It does go away though. It took about 1.5-2 for me Hang in there. I have been on it for 6 months and and it works.

#10 XuAcne

XuAcne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 May 2009 - 03:23 AM

just be sure to space out your dosages as you near the end of your treatment. take a pill every other day for week then every every other day for the next week. i heard if you just stop taking doxy or anything other kind of antibiotics, your acne will come back worser than you had before you started. just a warning.
Acne is the never ending war. Countless battles fought everyday against it. All the arsenal unleash to overcome it. FU8k, WHEN WILL I FINALLY WIN?

I FINALLY WON!!! Well on my face that is. 2 months and going all clear. YAY!!!!!!

#11 blue_eyes1110

blue_eyes1110

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 June 2009 - 07:50 AM

I've been taking 150mg a day of Doryx for 3 1/2 weeks. Some people may think that it's a little soon to write a review but I have to say it has helped a lot with inflammation and breakouts in general.

My acne story:

I am 27 year old female who has NEVER had acne a day in my life, not during my prenancy with my son nor when I was going through puberty or teenager. Occassionally I would get a nodule/cyst on my chin or forehead, usually around the time of my period, that would come up and stay for a week or two but go away. BUT- in January 2009 I noticed everyday around 1pm my face would be extremely oily (usually very dry skin- oil was not a problem). By February 2009 I had sand paper feeling bumps all over my face and neck (no redness). April 2009 I had numerous nodules/cyst on my forehead, chin and jawline- VERY PAINFUL! Was diagnosed w/PCOS (Polyscystic Ovarian Syndrome)- which is basically a severe hormonal imbalance. My gyno said that was probably the reason for my breakout now. He immediately put me on generic Doryx (Doxycycline) 100mg a day to try to help with the acne that was forming. That did not help very much so 4 weeks later I went to a dermatologist who put me on Cephalexin 1500mg a day and Retin A .025 and told me to quit being so vain. Needless to say the Cephalexin didn't touch the acne, the Retin A was very abrasive and hard on my skin at first. After 3 weeks of that my gyno put me on 50mg a day Aldactone - acts kind of like Accutane in reducing the amount of oil your body produces. This started to help in a tremendous way. 2 weeks later I went to see a new derm, she was excellent and very compassionate, immediately put me on Doryx and offered me accutane. But with the ipledge system I can't start accutane for another 2 weeks. However, in the 'meantime' the Doryx has worked miracles on my skin, I'm sooo thankful!

In closing my new derm informed me that if my acne is truly 'hormonal' then the acne will return whether I take Accuatne or not. Ladies- make sure you have your hormone levels checked and see a derm/gyno that is proactive and compassionate. Women who develope acne in late 20's to early 30's is usually 'hormonal acne' ... Don't ignore it- your hormones try to tell you a lot... I ignored the 'warning' signs (oily skin, sand paper feeling break out) that tried to tell me something wasn't right.

I'm still going to take the Accutane- even if the acne comes back its usually not as severe as the original onset (per my derm)... It's worth a try and I'm hoping it will help with my scars I've got now as a result of the acne I've developed in the last 6 months.

#12 runner13

runner13

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 July 2009 - 08:34 AM

I am currently on Doryx, Spironolactone, and a gel called Aczone. I know that's a lot of medications, but I have seen a big improvement in the three months I've been on everything. With the Doryx, I'm thinking about asking to go on the generic form, as it's kind of expensive. If I don't take it with food I feel very nauseated/sick to my stomach. I also have trouble going, ahem, #2. I was told that could be a side effect as well. Just eat as many fruits/veggies as you can and drink your water, and that should help. I also want to say that my skin is not oily at all anymore, and I think that's one of the things I'm most happy about.

#13 Tallchick19

Tallchick19

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 July 2009 - 11:12 AM

I've been using the Doryx 150mg tabs for about 3 months. I have acne around my chin and lower side of my cheeks and jaw-line. At first, I didn't notice any change but I kept taking the Doryx tabs along with using my Retin-A and Clindagel ointments and washing my face with the Basic face bar. In the last month or so, I've stopped using the ointments. Been using them since Aug of 2008 and they don't seem to be helping at all.

So all I am doing now is taking the Doryx and washing my face twice a day with the Basic face bar. I am noticing my skin getting a better. The number of zits have greatly declined and have been less severe. I'm not as ebarrassed to go outside without makeup up (which I reccomend Physician Formula). I've also started puttting on an acne scar/mark serum that Murad has. I put it on the whole affected area, even if there is a zit present. I have a lot of scarring and red marks from past acne. It seems to be helping with marks. The redness has toned down.

So I would say that I am happy with the Doryx at the moment...and the Murad serum.

QUOTE (runner13 @ Jul 7 2009, 10:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am currently on Doryx, Spironolactone, and a gel called Aczone. I know that's a lot of medications, but I have seen a big improvement in the three months I've been on everything. With the Doryx, I'm thinking about asking to go on the generic form, as it's kind of expensive. If I don't take it with food I feel very nauseated/sick to my stomach. I also have trouble going, ahem, #2. I was told that could be a side effect as well. Just eat as many fruits/veggies as you can and drink your water, and that should help. I also want to say that my skin is not oily at all anymore, and I think that's one of the things I'm most happy about.

I was told by my pharmacist that there isn't a generic drug for Doryx.

#14 jm828

jm828

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 July 2009 - 06:13 PM

That is correct, there is no generic for Doryx.
I have been on Doryx 100mg 2 times a day for about a year now. I also started taking spirilactone 50mg 2x day for excess oil about the same time. This has worked wonders for my acne!! One negative with Doryx (besides the cost) is the sensitivity to the sun!! My derm just switched my to 150mg just once a day, so maybe that will help

#15 laurenn

laurenn

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Outdoors, Reading, Music, Camping, Exploring, Rock climbing, Equestrian vaulting, peace and quiet (:

Posted 25 July 2009 - 08:00 PM

Ive been on Doryx for about a year now. Im 16 and have moderate-severe acne. I take 150mg once a day morning or night. I think its worked in the past quite well but now I think my skins becoming tolerant to it so I think I just may have to drink water more. Drinking 6-7 reg. Dansani water bottles everyday works well for me. Ive been slacking though...

Anyone that has just been put on Doryx- it'll take a little while (1-1 1/2 months) BUT its worth it. The more water the better. Dont go into the sun to often and if you do always put sunscreen on your face. Spf 15 even works wink.gif

#16 StaceyLady

StaceyLady

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 July 2009 - 06:14 PM

I just got my Rx of Doryx today, haven't started it yet. I'm getting married in about a month and I wanted to read up on what other people had experienced with this medication before I started taking it. My Doc prescribed the doryx because the Ziana gel, glytone face wash, and a sulfur based wash were not fully effective at clearing up my skin.

my question is this, has anyone experienced tooth discoloration while taking doryx? the information about doryx that's given to you by the pharmacist mentioned that some young adults experience tooth discoloration, I'm 24, so I'm concerned this might happen to me before my wedding.

Also, has anyone had heartburn as a result of taking doryx?

I just got my Rx of Doryx today, haven't started it yet. I'm getting married in about a month and I wanted to read up on what other people had experienced with this medication before I started taking it. My Doc prescribed the doryx because the Ziana gel, glytone face wash, and a sulfur based wash were not fully effective at clearing up my skin.

my question is this, has anyone experienced tooth discoloration while taking doryx? the information about doryx that's given to you by the pharmacist mentioned that some young adults experience tooth discoloration, I'm 24, so I'm concerned this might happen to me before my wedding.

Also, has anyone had heartburn as a result of taking doryx?

#17 baseball44

baseball44

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:36 PM

im on it now and it worked wonders for me

#18 notsobeautiful_x

notsobeautiful_x

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:48 PM

I took it a couple of years ago, for close to a year and it was a miracle. My skin never looked so clear, I was even getting compliments on it. I slowly weaned myself off it and remained clear for a few more months, before the acne came back full-blown. My derm has put me on it again and I've only been taking it for a couple of months. It hasn't really seemed to be helping... I hope I'm not immune to it now, that would be a huge disappointment because it worked so well before. cry.gif

#19 jenmonet

jenmonet

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 August 2009 - 04:46 PM

I was started on doryx about three weeks ago and my face is really breaking out. I am frustrated as I was put on tetracycline initially about seven years ago and had wonderful results (super clear skin) for almost 5 years. The I started to have cystic acne again. I was then put on minocycline....did not have as great results but did okay until I started getting more breakouts and cysts a few months ago. I am now on doryx and my skin has multiple pimples. I see by some of the posts that the acne got worse and then better when initially on the med. This gives me some hope but, if this continues, will have to go back to dermatologist and talk. I had such great results with the tetracyline that I keep hoping this will happen again. Any ideas from anyone?? My dr says sulphur is next or accutane....I am 37 and had hoped to avoid accutane. Has anyone ever gone back on tetracycline after being off and had good results???

#20 funklane

funklane

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 August 2009 - 11:50 PM

QUOTE (jenmonet @ Aug 14 2009, 05:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was started on doryx about three weeks ago and my face is really breaking out. I am frustrated as I was put on tetracycline initially about seven years ago and had wonderful results (super clear skin) for almost 5 years. The I started to have cystic acne again. I was then put on minocycline....did not have as great results but did okay until I started getting more breakouts and cysts a few months ago. I am now on doryx and my skin has multiple pimples. I see by some of the posts that the acne got worse and then better when initially on the med. This gives me some hope but, if this continues, will have to go back to dermatologist and talk. I had such great results with the tetracyline that I keep hoping this will happen again. Any ideas from anyone?? My dr says sulphur is next or accutane....I am 37 and had hoped to avoid accutane. Has anyone ever gone back on tetracycline after being off and had good results???

Hi Jen,
My doctor put me on 150 mg doryx about a month ago. I also have cystic acne that I treated with Accutane about 10 years ago. I have been on topical maintenance meds ever since (differin, tazorac) but in the past couple of years, I have had a few minor flare-ups, which I usually treat with Minocycline for a couple of months, and then I'm clear for a while. I started a very bad flare up a few months ago--very much like it was pre-Accutane. The minocycline didn't work, which is when she prescribed the Doryx.

I am 38, and the doctor is convinced it's hormonal. She has put me on 100 mg of spironolactone a day. Basically, the doryx is there to clear up my skin and give the spiro a chance to work fully, since it usually takes 3-4 months. Give the doryx another couple of weeks. If it is still not working, you might want to investigate whether or not spiro along with the Doryx would work for you.

I've been on Accutane, and at this stage in my life, I wouldn't consider doing it again. The experience wasn't pleasant--constant horribly dry, peeling lips, hair loss, aches and pains. I'm convinced it destroyed my knees and I still have some joint pain that I think may have been related to it. I'm close enough to middle age not to want to do anything to hasten arthritis. I will try just about every remedy short of Accutane, and I think the culprit really is hormonal.