Photo

Accutane Vs Vitamin A

vitamin a

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 DanMan1

DanMan1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 November 2005 - 12:24 AM

I need info on if it is exactly the same thing??? cause im pretty sure it is... and if it is ill go on a low dose of vitamin a for a long time instead of taking accutane... any info would be appreciated.

- Thanks

#2 Blo0dCrIeSZ

Blo0dCrIeSZ

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 24 November 2005 - 12:43 AM

Accutane is derived from vitamin a. Overdosing on vitamin a, will produce the same effects of accutane, but, with more side effects, it may not last as long as accutane does as well. Accutane is a retinoid (which there are retinoid receptors in your cells), accutane is 13-cis-retinoic acid, or isotretioin. Your liver makes a little bit of isotretioin on its own. Though accutane is synthetically made. I am not a chemist, so I do not know all the differences between the two. Overdosing on vitamin a, will give you dry skin, etc. And doctors used high doses of vitamin a for acne in the 1920's, until they found out it was toxic so the stopped immediately. Taking 15,000 IU's of retinol a day, and if you are healthy, will not kill you. Taking hundreds of thousands a day (which that is how much is needed to produce the same effects as accutane has on you) will eventually cause many problems. Vitamin a is fat soluble, so it will add up eventually. There is a lot of hype about vitamin a being the evil one on these boards. That isn't true.

RULES TO LIVE BY

Boxers are cool until things dangle. Sometimes that is the best part.

Orange toe nails are for black ladies.

Snorting prozac to get high is not wise.

Triple inverse and long exchange traded funds deviate to zero with volatility.

Conversations you have with friends are never funny to others. Keep them to yourself.

Retelling movie clips that are "funny" ruins them. You look like an ass.

Soy vanilla decaf venti lattes are 4.65 at Starbucks and 5 dollars at Barnes and Noble.

#3 DanMan1

DanMan1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 November 2005 - 01:11 AM

QUOTE(bloodcries @ Nov 23 2005, 10:43 PM) View Post

Accutane is derived from vitamin a. Overdosing on vitamin a, will produce the same effects of accutane, but, with more side effects, it may not last as long as accutane does as well. Accutane is a retinoid (which there are retinoid receptors in your cells), accutane is 13-cis-retinoic acid, or isotretioin. Your liver makes a little bit of isotretioin on its own. Though accutane is synthetically made. I am not a chemist, so I do not know all the differences between the two. Overdosing on vitamin a, will give you dry skin, etc. And doctors used high doses of vitamin a for acne in the 1920's, until they found out it was toxic so the stopped immediately. Taking 15,000 IU's of retinol a day, and if you are healthy, will not kill you. Taking hundreds of thousands a day (which that is how much is needed to produce the same effects as accutane has on you) will eventually cause many problems. Vitamin a is fat soluble, so it will add up eventually. There is a lot of hype about vitamin a being the evil one on these boards. That isn't true.

Would 15,000 retinol a day make any difference what soever in giving u dry or clear skin?

#4 DanMan1

DanMan1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 November 2005 - 02:28 PM

QUOTE(DanMan1 @ Nov 23 2005, 11:11 PM) View Post

QUOTE(bloodcries @ Nov 23 2005, 10:43 PM) View Post

Would 15,000 retinol a day make any difference what soever in giving u dry or clear skin?

Anyone?

#5 miss_nina2000

miss_nina2000

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 February 2007 - 08:36 AM

hi.. i've had mild acne since i was 12yrs . im now 25 yrs. i had a sudden horrible breakout when i was 17 yrs. i tried every topical medication available and every dietery change possible till i was adviced to use vitamin A supplements (there was no accutane then) i used 250,000 IU per day and noticed change by the end of the first week. All red pimples and active inflammation subsided and there were no more breakouts. Days later, my skin was actually healing. By the end of the first month, my skin was smooth and the blemishes were fading and scars were levelling. By the second month, my skin was sooooooooo beautiful! no pores no blackheads nothing but firm plump skin. No side effects. No one recognizeded me!

I used this dose fo 1 month then reduced it to 200,000 IU for the next 3 months. But i reduced it after that to 150,000 IU and maintained it for 6months. I've also used alpha hydroxy acid cleansers (swiss formula) and mild moisturizer (clean n clear) alongside and the results were miraculous.

Its the only thing that really worked for me. nothing else has.

However, be very careful with side effects: hair loss, dry skin, headache. Stop or reduce the dose if you experience any!

#6 callmeback

callmeback

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 11 February 2007 - 02:28 PM

missninja, thanks that is really interesting. We haven't had many people who actually tried it.

And DanMan: 15,000IU's will not do much, you have to take around 250 thousand like missninja did.
Today I just heard that the new Iraqi government will be drawing up a constitution. Why don't we just give them ours? We aren't using it anymore.
-Jay Leno

#7 miss_nina2000

miss_nina2000

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 February 2007 - 06:37 AM

hi again.. i tried retin A before for 8 months and my skin ended up much worse than before. i followed instructions religiously. My skin became thinner and i had a lot more outbreaks. it even got sun damaged although i used a sun block spf 80!!!
Does any retin A user experience this. And oh... my skin never peeled!! surprise surprise!

I also would like to know from Accutane users whether it is good. Does your skin become smooth and pore free or is it dried out?
I am now back on Vitamin A like before.

#8 miss_nina2000

miss_nina2000

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 February 2007 - 06:42 AM

hi again.. i tried retin A before for 8 months and my skin ended up much worse than before. i followed instructions religiously. My skin became thinner and i had a lot more outbreaks. it even got sun damaged although i used a sun block spf 80!!!
Does any retin A user experience this. And oh... my skin never peeled!! surprise surprise!

I also would like to know from Accutane users whether it is good. Does your skin become smooth and pore free or is it dried out?
I am now back on Vitamin A like before.

#9 donnyten

donnyten

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:28 PM

Bumping topic. I'd like to know more about this too.

#10 way2fun077

way2fun077

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 January 2009 - 08:07 AM

hi I just started using vitamin A after I found out it was the same thing in accutane. I take about 32,000IU a day but after reading this post i think ill up it. I also take zinc with it because it helps it to be absorbed in the bloodstream. I have already noticed a difference, I havent had bad acne, just mild, until i came to college and now all the sudden bam i got the stuff on your chin thats really hard to get rid of. it is starting to clear up and i barely break out now and I would say I am taking a safe amount of vitamin A. 250,000 just seems like so much thats got to be like half the bottle. I have used Skin ID, Murad, Proactiv and face masks all those remedies and they just dont seem to work, I figured you have to stop whats causing it from the inside out, I just dont want to overdose and die! I also visited a dermotologist when I was in highschool and the crap he gave me didnt improve my skin at all so I would say this is a step in the right direction!

#11 shegs004

shegs004

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:52 AM

Hi everyone,

Two weeks ago, I started taking Vitamin A capsules 8,000 IU for all over acne. I took 3 a day and have completly cured myself. This is a relatively low dose. I had done Accutane 5 years ago it worked beautifully for a year. Then recently at my wits end I researched Vitamin A. I dont take nearly what you would need to take to equal the mg of Accutane and I think its not really that necessary. Start with low doses, take MilkThistle as well for good liver function. Last thing you want it to damage your liver. I think that living in Minnesota and not getting enough sun..its part the problem. I also started eating carrots! You should try and get natural beta carotine not just vitamin A.

#12 Siava

Siava

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 March 2009 - 12:33 PM

As Iusedtobebloodcries mentioned, Accutane and vitamin A are NOT the same thing. Accutane is a derivative of vitamin A which means it contains essential elements, but not the whole form of the vitamin. The four major adverse effects of toying around with taking too much vitamin A are birth defects, liver abnormalities, reduced bone mineral density that may result in osteoporosis, and central nervous system disorders. Although Accutane comes with its host of risks, you are taking the same risks if not more by overdosing your body on vitamin A while not being monitored by a doctor.

Topic closed. Self medicating is not condoned. It's dangerous.