Photo

Anyone tried Mederma?

mederma

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 TLS

TLS

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 November 2002 - 12:43 PM

Hi everyone!

Has anyone tried Mederma for scars with positive results? Thanks!

#2 LAET

LAET

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 November 2002 - 07:19 AM

I think I went throught atleast 5 large tubes of Mederma without any results. I finally gave up hope. How can people sell that stuff when all it does is give false hope?!! Don't waste your money!

#3 BarBQLover

BarBQLover

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 November 2002 - 10:48 AM

Yep, I've said it several times and I'll say it several times more: Don't waste time with these so-called miracle creams. Mederma, Elicina, and Sycream might work for minor burns or maybe even red marks, but that's it. Consider the marketing department of these places for awhile:

Marketing Bloke 1: How are we going to sell this stuff? I mean, what does it do? We've done the clinical studies and it seems our product is only effective at making the mosquito bites you get during the summer, itch even more. I went to a two year community college and actually studied about 4 times a year, and even I'm stumped!

Marketing Bloke 2: Wow, you mean you got past the 10th grade? You are my king!!

Marketing Fool 3: Hey, you know, I read in my Cosmopolitan "The Gritty Issue" that people get these things called acne scars. They try laser surgery and sanding it down with sandpaper to try to get rid of them.

Marketing Bloke 2: Sandpaper! Let's market this stuff to companies that produce sandpaper, so it can feel better on your face.

Marketing Bloke 1: Better yet! Let's claim our product actually will get rid of acne scars! I mean, these people will be so desperate and so willing to buy something that's affordable....hell, let us mark up the price 500%. Imagine how much profit we'll be rolling in when it costs 5 cents a bottle to make this crap.

High-fives are passed around and everyone gets back to shooting paper wads into the trash can.

Keep in mind, Mederma also suggests that you apply it 4-5 times a day. Who has that kind of time or persistence? Creams will do nothing for you my friend, but I am doing mild peels, copper peptides, and Retin-A and though progress will be slow, there is progress.
It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.

#4 amy

amy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 November 2002 - 11:47 AM

Hi all,
I just picked up the mederma yesterday ( although probably wouldn't have if i read this first) any hew it comes in 2 sizes i got the large one. It is a clear gel that you are supposed to apply generously 3-4 times a day. I did what it said, washing my face in between each application....each time it left a slight tingling sensation. This morning i awoke to a slight redness. starting reapplying all over again in the same fashionit only takes a few minutes to escape to the restroom, wash face real quick, and real quick apply the stuff.

It may not work, but its the only over the counter stuff that has actually left a sensation on my face, so its doing something. Also, i may point out that this morning my face is much smoother feeling to the touch than yesterday.........I will keep you all posted :roll:
The grass is not always greener on the other side.....

#5 amy

amy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 November 2002 - 09:46 AM

Hi all day 3......i'm telling you i am seeing a response to this stuff... really! Last night i put a little more than usual on the problem areas and i swear it was like a chemical peel......tingling was, ALMOST, unbearable. But it was doing something, i can feel it. So the key must be how your applying it, how much, and make sure you still wash fash in between applications, and i make sure i exfoliate to get all the dead stuff off in the morning.

i will keep you informed!

#6 Lisa

Lisa

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 November 2002 - 02:18 PM

That stuff doesnt work. Used it for quite a while and nothing came of it. Just another "waste of time" product

#7 amy

amy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 November 2002 - 04:18 PM

the only reason why i tried it, was because my dermatologist told me to try it. He had a few patients who claimed that it worked wonders! so maybe you guys weren't doing it right? I don't know.. i do know that the instructions tell you diddly squat so its possible that people have been applying it incorrectly...???

who knows...it is supposed to be a 6-8 month process.

#8 grizzley

grizzley

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 December 2002 - 06:01 PM

I tried Mederma and it was absolutely useless! Don't waste your money and your time on this!

#9 YJ

YJ

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 December 2002 - 10:40 PM

I've tried it and it didn't help my acne scars at all. I gave up after only using 1 tube though.

#10 garkee83

garkee83

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 December 2002 - 02:36 AM

[size=18]Mederma® skin care gel
ingredient: [b]Purified water, PEG-4, allium cepa extract( onion extract ), allantoin, fragrance, methyparaben,xantan gum and sorbic acid.

I have acne scars and have heard from my friends about the 'SNAIL'extract cream - Elicina® , Activa® Scar healing gel and Mederma® - the skin care for scars. I have tried Activa® Scar healing gel and it contains chitosan, DNA 16, allantoin and etc to heal your existing scars and it will take at least 3 months of evaluation to see significant results. In the other hand, one of my best friend - Denise has tried the Elicina® cream for treating her acne and as well to heal the post acne scars. She claimed that the cream is good for scars healing but couldn't work properly in order to hep in preventing further acne. This Elicina® cream consists of allantoin, glycolic acid, the snail extract, collagen, peptides and etc.

Mederma® is the brand name of a topical gel that I have used to see my local newspaper for the purpose of scars healing. It claimed that the product will help to heal acne scars within a period of 3 months and so on. I was eagerly to try because I would insist for a good lokking skin -( no acne, no scar ) so that I could attend my music award ceremony with a perfect clear and flawless skin. Denise bought that Mederma® gel for me and we could only consume the 20g size tube instead of the 50g tube that has been sold in european country. I have try this gel for about 3 days and I really hopr it will work. I have done some research and paper work about the ingredients that have been used in the product in order to judge whether it really help in skin scars healing or not. I have gone into various cosmetic skin ingredient sites and asked for professional thoughts about the allium cepa extract as Mederma® claimed that it is the main ingredeitn that would help for scar healing. However, I couldn't find any appropriate information about the onion extract but I can assrue that allantoin - a botanical properties would really help and has been proved that help in generating your skin owns new cell.

Anyone who has already tried this gel before...could you all please post-up your experiences because if this gel didn't work as what as it compromise, we are able to take this issue to court for their money pay back.Thank you...

garkee2002... :roll:

garkee2003®
( sorry~ my english grammer is so poor )

#11 eoipso7

eoipso7

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 December 2002 - 09:38 AM

This product is intended to reduce the possibility of hypertrophic scarring. The onion inihibits collagen production. It is not for indented scarring whatsoever!!!

My experience with it was that even on discolored marks it did nothing except irritate my skin very badly and cause me to break out!

Peace
M

#12 LAET

LAET

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 December 2002 - 02:49 PM

eoipso7,

What is hypertrophic scarring? If the Mederma inhibits production of collagen as you stated, does this mean your skin can be worse off from having used it and thirdly, where did you get your info from? Thanks. LAET

#13 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 December 2002 - 03:11 PM

I haven't heard any good reports on Merderma or Elicina. I even got conned into buying 2 jars of Elicina - can't believe I fell for it!! Elicina did NOTHING for me. Oh well...

#14 eoipso7

eoipso7

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 December 2002 - 06:01 PM

Hypertrophic /raised scarring/ too much unorganized collagen/ think surgical scars

Yes - if there is too little collagen

Eckerds

Peace
M

#15 eoipso7

eoipso7

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 December 2002 - 06:06 PM

Oh ... you said info not product ...

After my wreck I did ALOT of research.
This is my second year of working on my scarring which is mostly imperceptable by now. Although, I'm kinda addicted to the boards.

I did go through a mederma phase last summer. If you do some research on onion extract you will find the info.

-----Can we get a peace sign emoticon?????
Peace
M

#16 garkee83

garkee83

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 January 2003 - 09:10 AM

Mederma® is using the Cepalin® botanical properties to heal scars. I have used to know that this Cepa extract ( onion extract ) will have a cell regeneration ability, it also has the anti-bacterial ability and anti-inflammantory. These 2 active ingredients , cepa extract and allantoin are acting as a water binding properties that would accelerate the healing of scars. Mederma® is based on the NMF ( natural moisturizing factor ) . You could read more infos about NMF in various website.

garke2003

garkee2003®
( sorry~ my english grammer is so poor )