This topic is archived.
57 replies to this topic

#1 Missay

Missay

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 October 2005 - 05:37 PM

I read somewhere that around 80% of people on it, are done with acne basically for good... I would like to hear everyones responses, and if it did come back, how soon, how bad, or if it hasn't come back and so on. I have my last 4 boxes left, and atm i don't have any pimples at all, and im doing well (except the redness), i would just love to never have to deal with acne again, ro-accutane is my saviour eusa_boohoo.gif eusa_clap.gif
Post away !!!

#2 december

december

My December

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 October 2005 - 06:31 PM

65% are cured for 1 year or more.

With each successive treatment, the success rate goes up.

As for me, I did one treatment with a VERY high dosage. I never cleared even after 7 months of PURE HELL. I still have the side effects - it's 3 months post. I'm not going back on tane EVER AGAIN.

I don't know. It seems to work so WELL for a lot of people. I must be one of the unlucky ones.

ciao!

#3 CDT

CDT

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 October 2005 - 07:07 PM

I thought that the rates were something like 90% become clear and 60% never have acne again. It really is a miricle drug in that respect. If you can get throught the side effect, which for me are so far very minimal. One thing though, alot of the people on here will post that it did come back after there coarse, hense they are still on here searching for answers.

#4 spewin666

spewin666

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 October 2005 - 07:24 PM

i was on it for about 5 months or so! Was completely clear for the 1.5 months after i stopped, but its come back now, i dont think it is as bad...but its bad enough to be back on 3 pills a day! hopefully this time i'll get it through.

i know of a few people who go on it for about 5 months, then theyre clear, but it comes back so they go on again for about 3 months then that beats it for good!! fingers crossed it works for me!! so annoying actually having clear skin, then slowly day by day watching it get worse again...SOOO ANNOYING!!

#5 KBrown

KBrown

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 October 2005 - 09:10 PM

I've been clear since I got off it I get a very small whiteheads like every other month which is sweet I've been very pleased with the results totally changed my life for the better confidence wise if your debating whether or not to do it please know that it has made me clear and well worth the very small side effects wink.gif

#6 troubledface

troubledface

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 October 2005 - 09:35 PM

I was on it for 5 months, 60-80 mgs. I was perfectly clear for3months but it slowly crept back ( a lot more mildly) im on it again and i think the results will last
this is mytheory-for teenagers, especially girls its a little more likely to come back. if your at the climax of puberty you are less likely to see amazing effects because your hormones are still crazy. especially girls with their periods and all.

#7 feiticeria

feiticeria

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 October 2005 - 08:16 AM

I went on it for 7 months (or maybe 9 i forget) when I was 14. I was clear for 5 years then very slowly it's started coming back. I'm 20 now and I only have a bit on my chin compared to all over my face neck chest and back like it was before.

#8 cori

cori

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 October 2005 - 10:22 AM

My daughter was on a low dose for 4 months and completely cleared her acne. After 2 years it is coming back, but it is now inflamatory (very small pimples that are getting heads). Before it was nodular. She may try Accutane again, but more then likely will try antibiotics, since it is now inflamatory. She has been using Tazorac cream since she went off the Accutane.

#9 Mitzie

Mitzie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:I have clear skin:)<br />Post Accutane

Posted 18 October 2005 - 01:22 PM

I had good skin for 4 years following Accutane and then it slowly came back.

#10 BeautyBabe

BeautyBabe

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Clubbing, dancing, listening to music, cinema.

Posted 18 October 2005 - 03:36 PM

QUOTE(Mitzie @ Oct 18 2005, 08:22 PM) View Post

I had good skin for 4 years following Accutane and then it slowly came back.

I took Roaccutane for 5 months and it kept my skin perfectly clear for 8 months, then the spots crept back again! I'm going back on it in January. I'm on Minocycline at the moment for 3 months.

#11 Craigems

Craigems

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 October 2005 - 05:42 PM

Accutane success rate is better when your older. Hormonal fluxuations are lower hence the success rate for complete success is generally higher. So if you are in your 20's on tane, it can be more effective. Generally if you go on tane at 16yrs generally success rate will not be soo good, but then again it depends on your hormonal changes.

And as another poster said, you will probably only get the ones that have to go second or third round taners replying because most of those that did it only once, have no need for acne.org anymore because they are living their lives with clear skin!

Dont base your opinion solely on these replies smile.gif however i'm still on tane first time, i've been on for almost 12 months... (but lower dose slowly build up course) and i still get the occasional small pimples here and there every couple of weeks. but generally fine... i think i get my bumps on my neck from razor burn on dry skin. anyways i'm pretty much 100% clear. mild acne i'd cope with.

#12 greenlantern38

greenlantern38

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 October 2005 - 12:32 AM

craigems, 12 months? i thought it was a 5 to 6 month course. are you self medicating?

#13 Craigems

Craigems

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 October 2005 - 12:59 AM

nope not self medicating. Derms orders. My acne was pretty bad, so i started low dose and built up low dose meaning 1 x 20mg / week. and built up.

12 months but overall the same as a normal 6month course of the drug.

#14 Med C

Med C

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 October 2005 - 02:12 AM

I did a 5 month course of accutane which cleared my skin for about 6-7 months. My oily skin and breakouts have returned, but are easily controlled by applying BP. I may decide to take a second course if it becomes worse. But yeah, accutane didn't cure me for good.

#15 westsidelady

westsidelady

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:03 PM

Someone explained to me that when you are on accutane it shrinks your pores and your oil glands become smaller and therefore the bacteria is not able to erupt from your skin creating a pimple (or something like that). With alot of people after a 5-7 month course of accutane, it kills like 80% of the oil glands on your face. Then about 1-2 years later (or depending on the person) 50% of your oil glands come back. I finished a course of accutane exactly 2 years ago and slowly my ance has come back getting a little bit worse each month. I've been able to handle it because its soooo much better than when i had severe cystic acne but now pimples are starting to erupt all over my face in big clusters, a few deep and painful. I think I will probably go on another course of it. My derm told me its not uncommon for a person to do 2 courses of it. It really is worth it though because my acne I don't think will ever be as bad as it was pre-accutane.

#16 Sting36e

Sting36e

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 July 2009 - 06:23 PM

EDIT

Edited by Sting36e, 21 March 2011 - 12:43 PM.

#17 Christof

Christof

More Christof than you can handle

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Football, reading, University, nights out, meeting new people, learning, TV and film, travelling, seeing new places

Posted 11 July 2009 - 06:56 PM

I was on Accutane for the first time for about 4-5 months. My skin cleared quite quickly and my Derm thought that was a good excuse to get me off it. Dumbass. Just because you cant see it doesnt mean im cured. So it came back again within 3-4 months.

I then did a full strength 4 month bash and ended that in November 2005. I had very severe acne. In December 2008 my acne came back but it was mild to moderate and only around my mouth and forehead. First two times it was all over my face and back.

As with anything its different for different people. Everyone's reactions are different to the stuff. Itll work for some first time, some second, some maybe years and years down the line. Just keep at it, monitor how its going for you during and after and any sign of it coming back get yourself to your doc or derm and catch it nice and early!

#18 mx123

mx123

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 July 2009 - 11:15 AM

didn't go away while on accutane, only good thing it did for my skin was reduce the oilyness, but that returned shortly after finishing the course.

my skin generally looked a lot worse after accutane, my acne was the same as before, but it gave me rosacea.

#19 sammylou3108

sammylou3108

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:50 AM

Hi

I was on the medication for about 4 months, they took me off it without finishing my course as it looked better and i got spots again straight away. So i finished my full 6 months off last July. I had the odd one or two after that but nothing major till recently.

I used to get a lot of inflammed spots around my neck, i've had one that persissed recently which has since turned into 2,3,4 and so on. I'm at the stage now where its make my feel uncomfortable again so have just booked to go to my gp next week to get re-reffered to the hospital derm to get what i'm guessing will be my second (and hopefully last!) course!

I'm not worried as i was quiet lucky the first time with the side effects, the only upsetting part is that it yet again stops me and the hubby trying for a baby! But if this time its gone for good i'll be a happy bunny!!

#20 stephenpaul6557

stephenpaul6557

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:health, yoga, my dogs, baseball

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:03 PM

Accutane is a really good product! My friend used it and his acne hasn't come back at all!