Photo

Nutritional support for surgery/scar revision

tca

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#1 Rossignol

Rossignol

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 26 September 2005 - 04:39 PM

*NOTE: I can't take credit for this! Most of it was written by Maya - a friend of mine and a former moderator here, who is trained in holistic medicine and has used the above regimen in treating her own scarring.
Thanks to her for providing this great info!!!

Holistic Recovery from Surgery

(Pre and Post Scar Revision/Surgery Protocol for Indented Scars.)

Disclaimer: The information below is intended as a series of suggested methods that may improve your healing post scar treatments. As we are not medical professionals, we cannot be held responsible for the accuracy of this information. By reading this information, you agree not to hold us liable for any damages that may result in your use of this information. This information should not replace information that your Doctor, Plastic Surgeon or nutritionist provides you. Please keep in mind that this is for general information only and results will vary for each individual.

I’m including this protocol for those of you who are having invasive scar revision treatments, whether at the doctor’s office or self administered. This includes revision methods such as dermabrasion, laser resurfacing, skin needling/tattooing, TCA CROSS, deep Chemical peels, subcision etc.

Regardless of the advances in Scar revision techniques, all forms of invasive techniques are stressful. The body’s healing response is still painful as it is to any injury. Both research and common sense tells me to eat an optimal diet and take extra nutrients that support me to heal faster and better. Adding supplements like Zinc and Vitamin C, known to speed wound healing and recovery is a smart step.

Most doctors provide little or no information on how diet choices and supportive therapies can jumpstart healing, although it is a crucial step to receiving the best possible result. A speedy recovery calls for more concentrated nutrients that a normal diet provides.

Have you considered why some people heal better than others? A scar revision method can only be as successful as your body’s ability to heal well and build the collagen necessary for your scars to rise.

Take a read through my recommendations and see which supplements may be a useful aid to your recovery. (Recovery from dermabrasion will need more support than a TCA peel for instance).

Many of the supplements listed can be included into your daily life (smaller doses will be needed), since most are supportive to rebuilding skin generally and are effective with or without surgery.

Start 2 weeks before surgery and continue for 2 weeks after surgery
To build your body’s natural defences before surgery:

Vit C – 3-5,000mg split into 2 doses (promotes healing, collagen growth and free radical scavenger)
Zinc – 60-70mg split into 2 doses - needs to be taken with oil/fat for absorption (Promotes wound healing and anti-oxidant)
B Complex 100mg and 500mg Pantothenic acid (B5) for adrenal strength/stress from surgery
Cod liver oil – 1-2 teaspoons – For Vit A and D and EFS (great skin healer and reduces inflammation)
Essential fatty acids - flax, salmon, evening primrose, borage oils – one or a combination is better. . (Promotes healing)
Calcium/Magnesium – 1000mg Calcium, 400mg Magnesium – Take these just before bed (Tissue repair). Don’t take at the same time as zinc, since they compete.
Multi Vitamin/Mineral – Take 1 a day with main meal to cover all missing elements from above.

Start 1 week before surgery and continue for 2 weeks after surgery

Bromelain 1,500mg split into 3 doses (curbs inflammation, reduces swelling, decreases bruising and pain)
Arnica Montana 180cc, split into 3 doses (reduces bruising and swelling)
MSM (Methyl Sulfonyl Methane) 1-2,000mg split into 2 doses (has a good effect on growing hair, nails and skin; improves skin elasticity and thickness; reduces inflammation)
Gotu Kola capsules or tincture – 3 times a day (nerve tissue repair and promotes collagen synthesis)
C0Q-10 180mg, split into 2-3 doses with meals (strengthens ability to heal, free radical destroyers)

What NOT to do:

If you eat garlic, stop 3 days before surgery as it thins the blood and may increase bleeding. Also avoid aspirin, as it’s another blood thinner. Check labels on any other vitamin/herbal you take as well, and avoid any that have blood thinning properties.

Stop any synthetic Vit E supplements 4 weeks prior to curb post operative bleeding (Natural Vit E in foods like avocados is fine)

Diet/Lifestyle 2 weeks before and after:

Eat extra protein – you must have protein to heal. Quality sources of protein can be found in raw eggs, chicken, turkey, liver, oily fish like salmon and mackerel etc. Vegetarian protein includes tofu, grains mixed with beans, almonds etc. Always eat organic!
For Vit K (needed for efficient blood clotting) eat green leafy vegetables, blackstrap molasses, alfalfa sprouts, sea greens.
Probiotics – Either take a probiotic supplement or supplement your diet with ‘live’ yoghurt, fermented vegetables, Kombucha tea, kefir etc. as this is one of the best ways to synthesise Vitamin K
Fruit and Vegetables –Include at least 5 portions. Make a large salad with olive/flax oil dressing and/or make fresh pressed juices daily. Add super green foods that are rich in chlorophyll - get it from spirulina, wheat grass, barley grass, sprouted seeds, seaweed, chlorella etc. or you can buy a supplement that contains ‘superfoods’ as they strengthen your ability to heal. Eat avocados for skin elasticity. Eat pineapples and papaya as they contain enzymes useful in the break down of old scar tissue.
Whole grains – Brown rice, quinoa, millet etc.
Sleep early – Ideally before 10PM, 11PM at the latest.
Water - Drink a minimum of 8 glasses of pure, mineral or filtered water
Sea Salt – Add Celtic sea salt, or ideally Himalayan sea salt to your diet, they contain all the minerals your body needs.

The best all-round supplier I've found for most of the above supplements is www.iherb.com. Their prices are low and service is excellent, with extremely fast and reasonably priced shipping.

BEFORE EMBARKING ON A SUPPLEMENTATION REGIME, IT IS A GOOD IDEA TO CONSULT WITH A QUALIFIED DOCTOR OR NUTRITIONIST.
These links may also be of interest:
http://www.acne.org/...showtopic=31390
http://www.acne.org/...showtopic=38647

I will hopefully be updating this thread with the best topical products to speed healing when I get the chance.

#2 Shyana

Shyana

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 September 2005 - 07:19 PM

Very nice

A few other things you may want to add

Beta Glucan 1/3 1/6 works well to to reduce chances of infection by stimulating macrophage response. I find it helps with preventing post peel/ dermabrasion acne.

Colostrum but in some can produce acne. It may be better to use just the transfer factor part of colostrum for immune response. But I have read some use colostrum post peel as a topical for enhanced healing.

Guggal may also work for some to prevent acne post surgery

Lysine if not on antiviral medicine

Arnica 30C homeopathic I prefer this. It works wonders for super healing. Great for those who are insulin resistant in healing. I like to take chromium GTF and alpha lipoic acid too. These all help in wound healing for insulin resistant types, which many acneic people are I believe.

Amounts used would vary per individual

I would like to add I have used gota kola for prevention of scarring and wound and after much research have decided it actually can interfere with healing. At leaset there has been some studies that show an adverse collgen repair. Forgive me but I researched this nearly 2 years ago and have forgotten the actual papers but it was thru Pub Med I believe. I think it is ok but not as a topical.

If you tend to have atrophic scarring I suggest using growth factors,amino acids etc. instead of kota Kola. I welcome anyone elses research and experience with this.

#3 KATKRAZE

KATKRAZE

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 September 2005 - 07:24 PM

Thank You so much Paul for this helpful bit of info - eusa_clap.gif eusa_dance.gif

I have been desperately searching on the web, and posted to other groups as to whether or not the following supplements I am taking are harmful or helpful. The only response I receive back are advertisements to buy more vit/supplements - ugghhh!

Paul, I am not sure if you had the opportunity to view my last needling thread? But these are the following vit/supplements I have been taking daily. My question is, at this point (as I see I have to buy more) can I take all of the following at the same time, or is this actually counter productive, and most are canceling each other out? Any info you can provide is GREATLY appreciated.

I would of figured, at least my nails would be a lot stronger from taking all the vit c, but, well maybe from typing on the keyboard, that's why they are weak - sad.gif

Anyways here goes, please let me know your thoughts, ok

I’ve increased my H2O intake (64oz’s) – at least I give it a valid effort!
· Take Vitacure B5 ClearSkin - 3.3mg - 1tsp/day ran out of DermCleanse
· Take probiotic acidophilus – 20mg – 2cap/day increased intake
· Take Evening Primrose Oil/GLA – 500mg/45mg – 1cap/day
· Take Alpha-Lipoic Acid – 100mg – 1cap/day
· Take time released Balanced B-100 (all 8 – B-vit) – 100/mg – 1cap/day
· Take chelated Zinc Gluconate – 50mg – 1 cap/day
· Take Pycnogenol Extract – 50mg – 1cap/day
· Take Vit C – 1000mg – 1cap/day
· Take Vit E – 400I.U. 1cap/day
· Take High Potency time released Ultra Woman Vit – 1cap/day
· Take Echinacea – 350mg – 2cap/day
· Take Olay Ester-C/alpha-lipoic collagen support – 500mg/50mg – 1cap/day

And tons of Fresh fruits and veggies !! IT’S A LIFESTYLE CHANGE FOR ME – LOL

I look forward to your advice/reply - biggrin.gif

Take care,
Marie

#4 BadBoy20

BadBoy20

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 September 2005 - 07:31 PM

my god, if u eat this much pills you'll be like a nuclear reactor. And people stop following threads blindly, use your brain before you stock all this shit..

Although i hope it works..

#5 Rossignol

Rossignol

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 September 2005 - 03:56 AM

I think it's often better to rotate certain vitamins. I would be inclined to recommend always taking a good multivitamin, but rotating the other nutrients you take with it. I sometimes have a couple of weeks off taking any supplements so that I can prove to myself that I can manage without!

The supplementation that my friend recommends is intended for only a couple of weeks intake, NOT a constant regime.

Marie - if I were you, I'd drop out all the supplements you are taking for a couple of weeks, except for the woman multivitamin and the Vitamin C. After that, you could rotate the others, say, a week with B vitamins added, a week with zinc added, a week with vitamin E added.

A course of acidophilus should last for about 3 months, I believe, after which the bacteria should be able to replenish themselves. You could take in a few live goat yogurts and some more acidophilus supplements to back them up every now and then.

Echinacea is supposed to be taken for no more than 6 weeks at a time, with a 4 week break, I believe.

Other than that, I don't think there are any potential problems from your supplementation regime.

Hope this helps - don't take my advice as the law - I'm not medically or nutritionally trained, so it might be best to consult a qualified nutritionist on this.

#6 Rossignol

Rossignol

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 September 2005 - 03:59 AM

QUOTE(Keithr23 @ Sep 27 2005, 01:29 AM)
U rock.  I'm gonna print this out and follow it when I get dermabrasion done.  Thanks a lot thats cool of u.  What have u had done by the way?  thanks peace

Thanks! I personally have only had 3 sessions N-lite and 2 microdermabrasions done, along with weekly AHA/BHA peels for a year or so, but the friend who put together all the information has had lots of TCA CROSS's, 2 sessions needling, 2 subcisions, 2 N-lites and several microdermabrasions.

#7 Dan T.

Dan T.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 October 2005 - 08:00 PM

Great Info!

FYI - There is a company that sells an Arnica capsule package that is made especially for surgery patients. It is endorsed by a number of plastic and cosmetic surgeons on their website. The product is called SinEcch and is marketed through Alpine Pharmaceuticals at:

www.alpinepharm.com

I used the product on my latest round of subscisions with fascian. I also used bromelin and increased Vit C intake and the combination of all of these factors seemed to definitely increase the healing speed and reduce the bruising and swelling time. I did not do this during the first round of subscisions with a fat transfer and I know that the bruising did persist much longer.

The SinEcch is color coded for surgery patients to indicate the days that you take the capsules prior to and after surgery. It would be interesting to see if anyone else reports good results on this regimen.

Dan T.

#8 Heidiluv

Heidiluv

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 October 2005 - 09:26 PM

if i have a saucer like mark left from pimple that has been healing for about a month, how long can it take to fill in? it is still pink and i have only used CP Serum which seemed like it was really working...now i am giving it a break and seeing if it fills in on its own.

QUOTE(Dan T. @ Oct 1 2005, 06:00 PM)
Great Info!

FYI - There is a company that sells an Arnica capsule package that is made especially for surgery patients.  It is endorsed by a number of plastic and cosmetic surgeons on their website.  The product is called  SinEcch  and is marketed through Alpine Pharmaceuticals at:

www.alpinepharm.com

I used the product on my latest round of subscisions with fascian.  I also used bromelin and increased Vit  C  intake and the combination of all of these factors seemed to definitely increase the healing speed and reduce the bruising and swelling time.  I did not do this during the first round of  subscisions with a fat transfer and I know that the bruising did persist much longer.

The SinEcch is color coded for surgery patients to indicate the days that you take the capsules prior to and after surgery.  It would be interesting to see if anyone else reports good results on this regimen.

Dan T.

View Post

#9 Tutsy

Tutsy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 October 2005 - 01:47 AM

QUOTE(Rossignol @ Sep 27 2005, 10:59 AM) View Post

QUOTE(Keithr23 @ Sep 27 2005, 01:29 AM)
U rock.  I'm gonna print this out and follow it when I get dermabrasion done.  Thanks a lot thats cool of u.  What have u had done by the way?  thanks peace

Thanks! I personally have only had 3 sessions N-lite and 2 microdermabrasions done, along with weekly AHA/BHA peels for a year or so, but the friend who put together all the information has had lots of TCA CROSS's, 2 sessions needling, 2 subcisions, 2 N-lites and several microdermabrasions.

Ross- the nlite sessions you had were they for active acne or for acne scarring and did they work as I am anticipating having this done along with microdermabrasion. How bad is your scarring deep pitting or small shallow pits or pick axe. What about the AHA peels do you do these yourself at home and whats your opinion on them. Do you ever give your skin a break from these because it needs time to rebuild itself so you can see some results. Await your reply........thanks for all the advice and good luck to everyone!!
Scarring is like living a nightmare!! xx

#10 Rossignol

Rossignol

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 October 2005 - 02:27 PM

Hi,

the N-lite sessions I have been undergoing are primarily for active acne (for which I feel they have helped a great deal, although have not cleared me up completely) but are also intended to help the scarring. I haven't noticed any improvement in the scarring following these treatments though.
I use AHA peels mainly to improve skin condition, and don't expect to see results with scarring. At the moment, I have replaced them with Retin-A to see how this goes. You're right about taking occasional breaks from peels, though.
My facial scarring, I would say is moderate, perhaps moderate-severe. It is mainly rolling, with quite a few ice-picks. I have severe body scarring in addition, which is much more difficult to treat, unfortunately.

Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions about any of the treatments I've undergone,

Paul.

#11 Dan T.

Dan T.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 November 2005 - 10:14 AM

Thanks much for the comprehensive look at nutrition. I try to keep up on this but there are some things here on the list that I overlooked. On my last round of subscisions, i had quite a bit of bruising and swelling but the Arnica Montana and vit C (6 to 10 grams/day) really helped the swelling and healing. A friend of mine from France told me that Arnica is widely used in Europe for bruising and swelling.

Dan T.

#12 scarssux

scarssux

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 January 2006 - 09:02 AM

Thnx. Its too bad the doctor doesnt tell u these stuffs biggrin.gif

#13 Simply_Me

Simply_Me

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 March 2006 - 03:16 PM

does smoking weed/cigs stop the healing proccess??? anyone know?

#14 pants

pants

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2006 - 11:02 AM

QUOTE(Simply_Me @ Mar 24 2006, 04:16 PM) View Post

my plastic surgeon told me that smoking a cigarette inhibits the body's ability to heal and regenerate cells for the following 8 hours. i'm due for a procedure soon and he's shown me photos of people who failed to quit smoking and they experienced not only prolonged healing processes, but in cases where they smoked about a pack a day or more, they suffered necrosis (death of tissue). i'm not sure about the dope...

#15 Simply_Me

Simply_Me

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 May 2006 - 07:56 PM

i'd too wonder about the dope... because smoking a bowl of ganja every here and then really helps me to get my mind off the harshness of scars

#16 Cameron

Cameron

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 May 2006 - 05:58 PM

QUOTE(Simply_Me @ May 15 2006, 07:56 PM) View Post

i'd too wonder about the dope... because smoking a bowl of ganja every here and then really helps me to get my mind off the harshness of scars

Just use a vaporizer. They work great, and you can avoid the hazards of smoking. Don't give it up though, because that's one of the few sources of great pleasure for us scar-faced freaks.

#17 dreamweaver66

dreamweaver66

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 October 2006 - 08:37 PM

What about topicals for after scar revision??

I think this would be helpful to know in aiding healing too.

#18 Reassure Me

Reassure Me

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 January 2007 - 02:32 PM

QUOTE(pants @ Mar 27 2006, 11:02 AM) View Post
QUOTE(Simply_Me @ Mar 24 2006, 04:16 PM) View Post

my plastic surgeon told me that smoking a cigarette inhibits the body's ability to heal and regenerate cells for the following 8 hours. i'm due for a procedure soon and he's shown me photos of people who failed to quit smoking and they experienced not only prolonged healing processes, but in cases where they smoked about a pack a day or more, they suffered necrosis (death of tissue). i'm not sure about the dope...

I have heard that smoking depletes your body of vitamin C. It would be wise to stop however hard that may be. Also think down the road smoking is also know to cause wrinkles on the upper lip from dragging on the cig and wrinkles around the eyes from squinting if smoke gets in your eyes. If can't quit ask your plastic surgeon about taking Vitamin C capsules. Good luck with whatever you are having done.

#19 jahluv

jahluv

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2007 - 03:56 AM

Bromelain is great for healing!
great for recovering from scar revision surgery

#20 madadam

madadam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 December 2007 - 10:56 PM

Would eating pineapple (especially the core) be as good?