Photo

Heat and acne?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 LabGirl81

LabGirl81

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 11
About Me

Posted 22 September 2005 - 09:49 AM

This is something I've been wondering about for the past 5 years or so. I have adult acne. I was pretty clear (had some teenage breakouts, but nothing seroius) until about 18. I've had moderate acne on and off for the past six years. I only get acne in the summer. During the late fall and winter I'm totally clear, the when spring comes I breakout like crazy on my face and chest, until the end of the fall when it gets cold out.

I eat a pertty healthy diet, mostly organic and unprocessed stuff. I don't eat much sugar. I haven't been able to cut out dairy yet totally, but I have dramatically reduced it. I don't think my acne is so much related to diet or hormones (on an antiandrogenic BCP). It's related to heat. I do get super oily in the summer, but sebum alone doesn't cause acne.....

I probably sound like an idiot, but if acne is really caused by all the toxins and out of wack hormones in my body why does it only affect me when it's hot outside?

I'm off Accutane!!!!!

Six month course from 9/7/06 to 3/23/07......dosage ranged from 20mg a day to a whopping 120mg/day, giving a huge cumulitive dose of 262.5mg/kg.

I'm clear, but will be using Tazorac for maintnence (and to keep any wrinkles that want to come up at bay)......

So you want to see my acne and 'tane results??? Lab's Gallery

#2 Olive_Leaf

Olive_Leaf

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 September 2005 - 06:02 PM

Hum, that is interesting. I live where its hot, really hot sometimes, but I moving to the mountains, soon eusa_dance.gif When ever I visit my skin looks way better. How is the humidity where you live? Its really high here, maybe it is not the heat but the humidity?
“Know your limits, not so that you can honor them, but so that you can smash them to pieces and reach for magnificence.� Cherie Carter-Scott

Posted Image

Olive‘s log
Gallery

#3 LabGirl81

LabGirl81

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 11
About Me

Posted 23 September 2005 - 07:59 AM

QUOTE(Olive_Leaf @ Sep 22 2005, 07:02 PM)
Hum, that is interesting. I live where its hot, really hot sometimes, but I moving to the mountains, soon eusa_dance.gif  When ever I visit my skin looks way better. How is the humidity where you live? Its really high here, maybe it is not the heat but the humidity?

View Post

I live in New Jersey. In the summer it gets hot and very humid. This summer was one of the hottest and most humid we've had in a long time, and suprise, suprise my acne (face and chest) was the worst it's ever been. I figured if my acne was really related to eating badly (which I did in highschool and college, but don't now), I would have broken out then too, and not only in the summer.

Maybe it is the humidity, but I can't know for sure because I'm never experienced any dry heat like in the southwest. I'm looking foward to the winter coming....I'll be all clear again....hehe

This still puzzles me though....I asked a dermatologist, who just said that in the summer you produce more sebum and sweat more, and that causes acne....but he couldn't tell my why. I go to the gym and get hot and sweaty in the winter, and I don't get acne.....go figure....
I'm off Accutane!!!!!

Six month course from 9/7/06 to 3/23/07......dosage ranged from 20mg a day to a whopping 120mg/day, giving a huge cumulitive dose of 262.5mg/kg.

I'm clear, but will be using Tazorac for maintnence (and to keep any wrinkles that want to come up at bay)......

So you want to see my acne and 'tane results??? Lab's Gallery

#4 tannoyred

tannoyred

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 September 2005 - 08:33 AM

i've always found that my acne is worse in the summer. funny as most other people say the opposite. i sweat like crazy so its got to be the sweat. odd about the gym though

#5 clueless1

clueless1

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 September 2005 - 08:41 AM

sweating clears your pores.

#6 casiolle

casiolle

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 September 2005 - 12:29 PM

QUOTE(LabGirl81 @ Sep 22 2005, 11:49 AM)
This is something I've been wondering about for the past 5 years or so.  I have adult acne.  I was pretty clear (had some teenage breakouts, but nothing seroius) until about 18.  I've had moderate acne on and off for the past six years.  I only get acne in the summer.  During the late fall and winter I'm totally clear, the when spring comes I breakout like crazy on my face and chest, until the end of the fall when it gets cold out. 

I eat a pertty healthy diet, mostly organic and unprocessed stuff.  I don't eat much sugar. I haven't been able to cut out dairy yet totally, but I have dramatically reduced it. I don't think my acne is so much related to diet or hormones (on an antiandrogenic BCP).  It's related to heat.  I do get super oily in the summer, but sebum alone doesn't cause acne.....

I probably sound like an idiot, but if acne is really caused by all the toxins and out of wack hormones in my body why does it only affect me when it's hot outside?

View Post

You may have Acne Rosacea. It is caused by flushing. Triggers include:
-Heat/sun
-Hot showers
-Spicy foods
-Exersize

Anything that makes your skin flush has to be avoided.

DO NOT follow the regimins on this page if you have acne rosacea, they will not work for you. You need to use only the mildest soaps and cleansers. Anything that irritates your skin is going to make things worse - Benzoyl peroxide and AHAs are out. You need different medicines. Metrogel or Clindoxyl cream, for instance. Clindoxyl worked very well for me! Almost perfectly.

Here is somewhere to start your research: http://www.rosacea.org/

Good Luck!

smile.gif

#7 jpp

jpp

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 September 2005 - 01:42 PM

Because it's hot it make syou sweat which irriates the skin and the heat make's your face go all red biggrin.gif So your head looks like a big tomato. biggrin.gif

The post above is that someone advertising there site??

#8 casiolle

casiolle

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 September 2005 - 08:33 PM

QUOTE(jpp @ Sep 23 2005, 03:42 PM)
Because it's hot it make syou sweat which irriates the skin and the heat make's your face go all red biggrin.gif So your head looks like a big tomato. biggrin.gif

The post above is that someone advertising there site??

View Post

lol, If you read about Acne Rosacea, you will see what I mean. smile.gif It has nothing to do with sweat, it has to do with heat. Heat makes your skin flush which causes the acne. I don't think anyone really knows *why* it causes the acne, but I could be wrong.

I am not advertising the site, BTW. The site is just an informational site anyhow. I don't think that they actually sell anything there... smile.gif I just have the same problem as her and wanted to help.