ice pick

427 replies to this topic

#41 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 September 2003 - 12:11 PM

[size=18]I had the Punch Excision today! along with my 3rd N-Lite (at setting 3)

[size=18][b]I had 12 scars excised!!! - 5 on each cheek and 2 on the forehead. There are around another 12/15 that will be excised in 4 weeks (if all goes well with the current excisions). They couldn't all be done at the same time because they are too close together.

Dr Chu felt that the larger icepicks/boxscars had not responded that well to subcision and N-lite and that excision and more N-lite will produce the best results for me.. so I told him to "go for it!" and now my face has 12 black stitches all over!

I was locally numbed with injections (around 12 injections).

He used a 3mm punch too for these (going around 2mm deep), he said double layer stitches were unnecessary, and did one layer stitch, with just one stitch for each scar.

I only got plasters because I asked for them, but he said it was unnecessary to cover them up. So, now that I am home, the plasters are off.

After the punch excisions (by the way, Dr Chu and another derm worked on me at the same time - one on each side of the face) - it took more than 30 minutes for the blood to stop spurting - we all got involved holding large swabs, pressing them down against my face whilst I was lying down.

I bled a lot (I kind of expected it when I was covered with a large plastic sheet :-k ) But once it stopped it bleeding, that was it -no more blood.

Sorry for the gory details, actually, I am very pleased to have had so much done in a day - if this works out - there will be a duplication of the above in 4 weeks and I will only have to worry about a few red marks (which will be easy to get rid of with time and topicals) and some shallow scarring which I can so easlily live with (and get rid of with my normal topicals and microdermabrasion)

I have an appointment with the nurse at my GPs office in 6 days to get the stitches removed.

Tonight, I will wash my face and start applying my ALA/DMAE emu oil cream.

And yes... I have taken plenty of photos. When it's all over, I will post my photo journal... from needling to.... subcision and N-lite.... to excision! :)/ .

By the way, Dr Chu is fantastic - he has excellent people skills, made me feel very comfortable and his team of derms and nurses are great too. :D

#42 Anna

Anna

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 September 2003 - 12:18 PM

I'm really excited for you Maya! Thinking positive thoughts for wonderful healing!

Hugs, Anna

#43 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 September 2003 - 12:19 PM

Thanks Anna :)
Big Hugs back XX

#44 Denise2

Denise2

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 September 2003 - 12:31 PM

Please keep everyone posted, Maya! Can't wait to see the pictures! :)

#45 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 September 2003 - 12:34 PM

Ha ha - well, if you want to try and imagine how I look right now... you remember those old Frankenstein b&w films? Where he's kind of been sewn together ...

#46 smilingeyes

smilingeyes

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 September 2003 - 12:39 PM

Okay, I was just feeling really lousy, but always feel better after hearing about positive experiences...thank-you for sharing Maya (and Maria).

I've called a plastic surgeon about doing the punch excisions (on a previous consult he wanted me to have dermabrasion/laser treatments, which I'm glad I chose not to do after reading some of the experiences on the board!) and he wants to do another consultation with me. They've just recently gotten the smoothbeam in his office, but I'm a little leery of that because I have light to medium light asian skin and with the icepick scars that I have, am not sure it would help anyhow.

Unfortunately, I have been having a problem finding a plastic surgeon in this are who will do the punch excisions first....they all seem to want to go with some type of laser treatment, but I'm determined to keep trying as the ones who do this seem so happy with it (if it is properly done).

Thank-you Maya for sharing all of your experiences (good and bad) and your daily/nightly regimen (you are one very determined and self-disciplined lady!)

Happy healing!
-nancy

#47 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 September 2003 - 01:43 PM

smilingeyes

From what I've heard, Smoothbeam or N-lite on its own is not for useful ice picks. Try and look for subcision/skin needling/excision/TCA cross method. They are the best methods for deeper scars.. and then non-ablative lasers can help to smooth out and boost collagen.

And yes... I am determined!!! :) For some crazy reason, I held onto all my cystic scars for 5 years before researching ways of getting rid of them. I spent a year (2002) just talking to people, looking on the internet etc... and since the beginnng of 2003, I have been on a quest!!!

Keep looking - you will find someone!

#48 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 September 2003 - 12:02 AM

The skin around the stitches is kind of puffy and swollen coz the stitches are on so tight - the stitches are kind of making indents into my skin and pushing the skin on the sides up and out - hope it all evens out properly when the stitches come out. :-s

By the way (I hate to keep saying this but...) the emu oil is such a great pain reliever! I love emu oil!

Oh - and to those who've had excsion, what was your after care procedure?

#49 Maria

Maria

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 September 2003 - 06:26 AM

Hi Maya,

Wow! 12 excisions! You go girl! :D)

I don't think my skin was that swollen...on the other hand I had tape over the stitches so it was kind of hard to tell. But when the stitches were removed my surgeon said I had unusual little swelling. Do you have a lot of pain? I had no pain what so ever, maybe because I only had one excision (?)

Yes, the stitches will make small indents in the skin but this should heal after the stitches are removed (that's why it's so important to not have stitches longer than 6-7 days).

Since I had Micropore over the area I didn't have any after care procedure the first week (except for taking supplements). After that I began to apply copper peptides (TriReduction, the Super Cop will probably be too strong). Maybe I will begin applying aloe vera from my plant as well...

#50 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 September 2003 - 07:01 AM

Hi Maria O:) - well, the swelling is going down so quickly - and it was only the injections that were painful - even after the numbing wore off, only a little sore, but not painful.

I have been applying 3 times a day my home made cream with ALA/DMAE etc.. and emu oil - it's really helped. Also, I just put on the standard (not super) copper peptides.

Now that it has been 24 hours, I can see the fine red hairline marks - maybe they are only 2-3mm long each - wow!! so much better than a hole in the face. I am really excited. And those fine red marks are easy to fade or cover up with some powder. I can't wait to get the stitches off so I can admire myself ha ha!! Now I am really hopeful that this is indeed the solution I have been waiting for - I will still need excision for another 15 or so similar ice picks (not possible to do that many at once because they are too close together) so maybe another once or twice for excision and then I will be very, very, very happy!

I will keep updating :D

#51 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 September 2003 - 03:44 AM

OK - 2 day update (it seems like much longer)

The fine red lines have now formed scabs - so they don't look so fine anymore since the scabs are slightly raised, but I guess when the scabs come off (same time as the stitches come off?) there will only be a fine red line underneath. The good thing about having the stitches there is that it stops me from picking the scabs off!!! - so the fine line should develop nicely and hopefully I won't have indented fine lines to contend with.

All puffiness has gone now, the skin under the threads seem shrunk somehow coz the thread is no longer tight looking or pulling against the skin.

Really, I am extremely happy and hopeful that this is going to be the main treatment for my type of pitted scarring (since TCA spot is not available here) - Still, I guess my face/scars will never be 100% perfect - but if I can get maybe 70-80% improvement overall from last year I will be more than delighted.

Also, it's kind of nice not having to put on makeup - let my skin breathe - my skin tone is looking really great because of the N-lites and all the CP and ala/dmae creams ... who knows, when all this is over, maybe I won't even bother other with makeup anymore (but I doubt that very much he he...O:)

Goodbye holes - hello fine lines! :D

#52 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 September 2003 - 03:56 AM

The only thing I regret is that I didn't have excision earlier!!

That is also one of the reasons I recommend anyone who's considering excision to go to a plastic surgeon (unless your derm is very skilled). For a surgeon this is a piece of cake. I realised that when my surgeon began to whistle to the radio during the surgery!! LOL  :D

Yes, I wish I had been offered this earlier!!!! - but Dr Chu was still waiting on his delivery of those little punch things! And he and another derm (along with me) just chatted away about the weather and kids whilst all this was taking place. LOL!!

#53 not2bad

not2bad

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 September 2003 - 04:07 PM

hey everyone thank you all for having kept us all informed on your success so far with this treatment...I have ice pick scars on both of my cheecks and would like to find a way to get rid of them or atleast to minimize the appearance of them. I have tiny ones spread throughout my cheecks and part of my right temple. I leave for the Army this November ...the 5th of November I ship out....If I were to find a surgeon or dermatologist that could perform the excision on my scars either this month or next month do you guys think I would be ok and ready to go by November 5th. I live in Los Angeles California....do you guys think that the ice pick scars I have would be somewhat improved by the excision treatment...I'm getting natural peels done for some red marks and the lady that does the peels told me that the ice pick scars I have would not be improved by smoothbeam or anything like that....I didn't know anything about excision and neither did she I think cause she didn't mention that to me...I really hope this can work for me and I really hope I can get it done before I leave. Thank you all for being a part of this message board and thinking about helping others not just yourself. It's good to have people sticking together....we have people from different nationalities ...this website just proves how we are all the same inside ..we all feel joy and pain...thjank you guys soo much for having this board..it really helps to give me hope.

Claudia

#54 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 September 2003 - 05:08 PM

If I were to find a surgeon or dermatologist that could perform the excision on my scars either this month or next month do you guys think I would be ok and ready to go by November 5th. I live in Los Angeles California....do you guys think that the ice pick scars I have would be somewhat improved by the excision treatment

Well Claudia - It has only been 3 days since my excision of 12 ice picks and I can definately tell you that when I get my stitches out in 3 days, I will only have a very fine 2-3mm line instead of a 3-5 mm hole! I can even see the small line under my stitches and I can tell you that they are barely noticeable (in comparison to the ice pick holes) - so the down time is only 1 week. You will have tiny, very thin pale red lines instead of holes and they will fade quickly.

I had around 25-30 that needed to be excised - I only had 12 excised because the picks were too close together - so the derm will do more of them in 4 weeks. So.. if you find someone quickly, you will be able to get this done in 2 different sessions and look great for November. Most of my picks were 2-4 mm wide - and they have responded extremely well.

Good luck.

#55 not2bad

not2bad

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 September 2003 - 05:14 PM

thank you soo much ...I really appreciate your response. I will begin looking for someone right away. Should I be looking for a dermatologist who offers this or a plastic surgeon?

#56 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 September 2003 - 05:16 PM

I think a plastic surgeon - but some derms also offer this too - ask them how long/how many times they have done this - experience is more important than job title.

The Doc I used in the UK is a derm and a surgeon so I was very lucky.

Hope you find someone soon.

Let us know how you get on :D

#57 not2bad

not2bad

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 September 2003 - 06:47 PM

Today I began my search and found someone who was offering the procedure in my area...unfortunately I will have to wait to meet with this doctor on October 7th...do you think I will have time?...You said it takes a week of recovery right?

#58 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 September 2003 - 04:26 AM

Yes, Only 1 week because you have the stitches in for 5 days - after that, no one will notice (but you will feel better about the scars he's worked on)

#59 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 September 2003 - 04:31 AM

My 3 day update - wow!! :D/

Of the 12 scars excised - 11 of them look amazing - 1 think one of them needed 2 stitches instead of 1 (because of the length of the scar) so that one may need to be done again.

I have had several friends and my boyfriend inspect Dr Chu's handywork and they are well impressed! I have had such good comments I'm feeling really up.

I have worn no makeup these past 3 days and I keep getting comments of "wow, you have fantastic skin tone, really smooth, glowing etc..." - Is that the new ala/dmae cream or the NLite? he he.. or is it all the lactic peels, copper peptides... ahh.. so hard to figure it out but I guess something works.

#60 Denise2

Denise2

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 September 2003 - 08:04 AM

Maya...I am so happy for you! It's so good to hear someone so upbeat and positive. :D :D/ :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users