Photo

Alpha lipoic acid/home made cream

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
260 replies to this topic

#81 Guest_Scorpioness_*

Guest_Scorpioness_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 17 September 2003 - 01:22 PM

I tried a little 'experiment' last night.
I mixed together ingredients in this order:
jojoba oil, aloe vera juice, MSM powder, coconut oil, emu oil, alpha lipoic acid (GNC liquid capsules), coenzyme q-10 (GNC liquid capsules), B5 (powder) and lactic acid 50% solution (a few drops)
(I have not yet purchased the DMAE)
I did this because acne is still a problem for me, and topical B5 and MSM works to help control acne to an extent.
I was weary about adding the lactic acid, yet I reasoned it would assist with the dissolving of the powdered supplements as well as in assisting penetration of the products.
I awoke this morning with no redness or irritation, though my skin was a bit dry, similar to the first day I used the mandelic acid serum... maybe slightly dryer... and slightly peeling as well.
I still don't know if adding the lactic acid was the best idea.... but I didn't have any problems with leaving it on my skin all night mixed in with the rest of the ingredients in such a small amount.
Perhaps those still dealing with acne would benefit from adding B5 into the mix.
I am not using this 'homemade serum' with the peptides... in fact I don't have a regimen now. I just judge my skin based on how it's acting that day, what I am going to use on it.

#82 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 September 2003 - 02:15 PM

That's a great idea - to add whatever you need to a basic lotion.

I'm wondering if the DMAE is necessary - isn't that just used to moisterise?

#83 drvpaul

drvpaul

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 September 2003 - 05:34 PM

Hello Maya:

DMAE increases acetylcholine levels which, in turn, stimulates nerve function and this action causes the muscles to contract and tighten under the skin. The results are increased facial firmness and improved contour. With continued use DMAE can prevent/reverse 'sagging'.

Perricone has written volumes about this anti-oxidant, and has published a plethora of before/after pictures from the Johnson & Johnson clinical trials in his "Perricone Prescription" book. A worthy viewing!

- Veronica

#84 cheshrcat

cheshrcat

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 September 2003 - 07:36 AM

I tried mixing all of this stuff together with jojoba oil, but it was way too heavy for my skin (it's extremely oily!). So, I decided to mix the ALA, DMAE, Ester-C, and Vitamin E with 4 tsp. of my aloe vera gel. All I have to say is, this stuff really works for my scars. A remnant of a cyst is now all but flat! biggrin.gif

I've also been using some homemade Vitamin B3 gel (five 500 mg capsules mixed with 2 oz. of aloe vera gel) for my active acne, and I think the two combined work wonders. smile.gif

#85 Guest_Scorpioness_*

Guest_Scorpioness_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 19 September 2003 - 01:53 PM

Hey chesire cat... :-)
I was thinking of getting the niacinimide (B-3) to add to my lotion also... I'm all out though and didn't have any around the house when I was concocting it. I'm gonna add the B-3 for sure... the B-3 and B-5 together in the serum will probably be great for the acne AND scars!

#86 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 September 2003 - 02:33 PM

Any updates? I'm enjoying using this cream a lot - skin tone, firmness and texture are all improving greatly. Also, I am finding it is more effective after using the mandelic lotion - maybe it's because the madelic exfoliates and allows this cream to soak in even more.

#87 Guest_delta force operators_*

Guest_delta force operators_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 24 September 2003 - 04:18 PM

i am barely mixing
vitamin e
ester c
still waiting to get apa and d.
so far i mixed it with some water and 2 table spoons of soft lotion
i plan to be on this regimen for a whyl
do tothe fact that i am still on accutane and have to wait 6 months before i can get agressive

#88 Denise2

Denise2

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 September 2003 - 05:48 PM

I put the Perricone stuff away and made my own ALA with emu oil concoction and must admit that any and all purple/red marks are fading so fast it's mind-blowing. Making it at a much higher than 5% concentration is the best way to quickly remove red marks, especially, when as Maya noted, is combined with an exfolient. I changed the way I am layering my products and I believe that my Retin A being applied FIRST is helping tremendously. (I used to apply it after copper peptides, but I got to suspecting it wasn't absorbing as well with the CP on first. I think I was right.)

Between the Retin A and this ALA, I'm good to go.

#89 Steve321

Steve321

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 September 2003 - 07:05 PM

Maya.. Im trying to purchase that DMAE in powder form from the site you bought it from.. i was wondering.. Did you purchase the Good and Natural DMAE or Twinlab?

#90 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 September 2003 - 12:38 AM

Steve - I bought it from this site: http://www.healthrea.../web/search.asp

The brand is Life Extension

#91 Steve321

Steve321

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 September 2003 - 02:48 AM

I have a question..

Im trying to purchase some Vitamin E, but im not sure what i should be purchasing.. are Vitamin E Gelcaps usually used dietary purposes OK for topical use?

I found some Vitamin E oil for topical use at a decent price.. Should i purchase this instead of Vitamin E gelcaps?

Does it really make a difference..

any help would be greatly appreciated

#92 Steve321

Steve321

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 September 2003 - 04:54 AM

i really need advice on what kind of Vitamin E i should be purchasing... Prices seem to fluctuate depending on type of Vitamin E.. and im having trouble figuring out which is the purest form, since all of them have added ingridients to them.

Im just a bit sketchy whether or not its safe to use these dietary supplements as a topical .

#93 Steve321

Steve321

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 September 2003 - 05:18 AM

hey guys i just got a great deal on some products..

I got a 4 oz bottle of JoJoba oil

350mg 90 Capsules Pure DMAE

2 Bottles all natural Vitamin E 400 IU Softgels

for 30 Dollars and thats including the Shipping..

I bought it here http://www.lifesvigor.com/shopend.asp

This place seems to be like a wholesale place that get all sorts of products from various outlets..

You can Buy most of the stuff you need for your own special cream for 30 Dollars.. and its going to last you a VERY VERY LONG TIME..Just purchase the Alpha lipoic Acid gelcaps from the site Denise recommended.. So you can purchase everything you neeed fo 50 or less.... I think this will last me well over a year..

in order to find the Pure DMAE, either Search through Google or directly through the website and type PURE DMAE..

In order to find the Vitamin E Special.. Look Under New product arrivals on the website.. and there you will find a special Purchase of one Bottle Of Vitamin E get one Free for only 10 dollars..

#94 Steve321

Steve321

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 September 2003 - 05:41 AM

Since JoJoba and EMU oil can be used as moisturizer.. Is the added Cetaphil Cream necessary? I have some cetaphil at home so i wouldnt be a problem.. But it doesnt seem like its necessary

#95 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 September 2003 - 05:44 AM

Steve - I don't think it's necessary.

BTW, you Americans are so lucky! It's really hard to source DMAE cheaply in the UK - I'm having to fork out around $40 for a jar!

#96 Steve321

Steve321

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 September 2003 - 11:37 PM

hey.. i was looking up the ingredients for the Alpha Lipoic Face firming activato Perricone recommends for scars..

Water, Tyrosine, Isopropyl palmitate, Glycolic acid, Dimethyl MEA (DMAE), Cetearyl alcohol, Ceteareth-20, Butylene glycol, Glyceryl stearate, PEG-100 stearate, Sodium carboxymethyl betaglucan, Lipoic acid, Tocopheryl acetate, Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone, Urea, Propylene glycol, Camellia oleifera (Green Tea) extract, Diazolidinyl urea, Allantoin, Bisabolol, Zinc sulfate, Methylparaben, Citric acid, Pyridoxine HCl, Pantethine, Propylparaben, Disodium EDTA, BHT and Sodium hyaluronate.

I know its going to be impossible to concoct our own version of this to a tee.. But i noticed there are things like Glycolic acid added into this formula.. Shouldnt we assume all these ingredients work synergystically in order to help acne scars?

Im just being cautious..Ive already ordered all the things i will need in order to make my own home formula.. but im a bit sketchy..

So far has anyone had problems with their own home formula?

#97 Denise2

Denise2

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 September 2003 - 08:40 AM

Steve, I ~OWN~ the Perricone 5% formula and I have always raved about it. However, for those so inclinded, it can break people out. No one needs all those chemicals and preservatives on their skin. I checked those ingredients and some of those ingredients are very pore-clogging and unnecessary. They are bad for skin. Making it yourself really makes it safer. The glycolic acid is only 5% and helps for penetration. If you are already on Retin A or do peels, the glycolic acid is in such low amounts, it's unimportant. Besides, the emu oil is an oil that helps penetration; therefore, mixing ALA with emu oil would be better. Also, you can control the percentage of ALA you are putting on your skin. You can make it 20-30% if you want, (which is what I started doing). I personally think my results are at least 50 times better with making it myself than using the 5% solution. My skin is looking almost like smooth glass. Plus, with my last needling, the small scars she needled in the second needling are TOTALLY 100% GONE.

ALA is proven to eat scar tissue. I would think that making your own, and having it in much higher concentrations would be awesome for those of us doing various procedures to our skin. That way, we can introduce much higher rates of ALA and ensure penetration by combining it with emu oil.

#98 ArtyLang

ArtyLang

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 September 2003 - 11:07 AM

How about making me some and sending It to me. I will pay you of course. What do you think?
ArtyLang

#99 Denise2

Denise2

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 September 2003 - 12:07 PM

Arty, I would love to but see a problem. I only make mine in weekly batches because I don't preserve it. The problem is that it probably wouldn't be worth it for you or me if I was to make it only in a really small batch. To make it in a bigger batch would mean having to preserve it and I have no idea how to do that. #-o

All you have to do is get some emu oil from Skin Biology or Homepeels and buy the ALA from Epic4health, and pop open an ALA pill (slit it open with a knife) and pour it into the emu oil. I usually put a few drops/squirts of emu oil, and then add 3-4 capsules of ALA. A little goes a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG way.

Again, I would LOVE to do it for you, but for me to charge you would seem dishonest, PLUS....to do it in a big enough batch that would be worth you paying for it without preserving it would seem like you would have to throw it out after a week or two, even if you refridgerated it. But I could be wrong, and I have no idea!!!! 8-[

P.M. me if you have any other questions! biggrin.gif

#100 ArtyLang

ArtyLang

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 September 2003 - 03:33 PM

Thanks anyways denise....I guess I will have to do it on my own. I was hoping you could list your exact ingredients and the steps fpr making like you did above. Only including the dmae and other stuff. That way, I can copy it exactly. I just hope my roomates dont walk in on me making this stuff. Its bad enough using face peels. Thanks.