Photo

Alpha lipoic acid/home made cream

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
260 replies to this topic

#21 drvpaul

drvpaul

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 August 2003 - 10:30 AM

ALA, DMAE, C & E CREAM

The Vitamin E I use is liquid (gelcaps) altho a dry form could also be used if pulverized first.

And yes, for those Copper Peptide users, the cream should be made without the Ester-C component.

A final thought - the cream (which may be gritty - and that's OK) should be lightly massaged into face and neck to help with absorption.

- Veronica

#22 gwfa

gwfa

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 August 2003 - 11:09 AM

If I use skinbio.com CP Serum can I use your formula with or without Vitamin C - Ester?

Why can't I mix topical copper peptides with Vitamin C?

Is it ok to take internal vitamin C while on CP?

Thanks in Advance.

#23 Denise2

Denise2

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 August 2003 - 11:52 AM

drvpaul your post got me to thinking...... :-k

I know that ALA applied topically works FANTASTIC on red marks and fades them very quickly, faster than anything I've tried. The Perricone ALA at 5% really is a good product but very expensive.

So when I read about your post, I got to thinking about the oral ALA I take. I order it from Epic4Health online and that is where I get my fish oil also. I find their products to be far more superior and cheaper than most anything you can get in the store. They even got some kind of HUGE endorsement from some important agency on their CO-Q 10 supplement as it was clinically tested and found to be far superior to any other on the market. So I decided to see if I could rub the ALA in my skin, so I busted open the capsule and rubbed it on my face.

So I wanted to post the link here and let you guys know that you can get ALA in liquid form (it's combined with vitamin e also) and that might make it easy on you. You get 90 capsules for 15 bucks; like I said, this company has very good products. Their odorless, tasteless, fish oil is the best I've ever tried.

http://www.epic4heal...om/lipalac.html

#24 Guest_Scorpioness_*

Guest_Scorpioness_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 18 August 2003 - 12:34 PM

Denise: Thanks for the link..... please let us know how the ALA gelcaps work when broken open and rubbed into the scars.... If the effect is similar to the Perricone serum that would be great....

I used to use the Skin Eternal ALA serum which is an imitation of the Perricone formula, and I don't know what percentage of the ALA it contained.... probably 2% and not the 5%.... I did notice though, an improvement in my skin tone and texture... and I was using the product with lactic peels at the time. When I ran out, I replaced the ALA serum with the copper peptide serum, and have been on the peptides ever since and have now started using the SUPER CP serum.

I have been taking alpha lipoic acid for a couple of years now and have found that when I take it with certain foods, I don't break out as much since it helps so much with blood sugar levels. It only kept me clear in conjunction with other supplements... and now I am on spiro also and getting great results on that so far.

#25 stillhere

stillhere

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 August 2003 - 02:22 PM

Thanks so much for reminding me of this stuff. I have to get some new vit-e capsules today as I'm all out. I use them under my eyes every night.
I used my alpha-q10 lotion under my normal moisturizer today then put makeup over it and skin seems to look pretty good. I will continue using the alpha lipoic as I think it will help some with overall skin appearance. I also take a supplement containing it as well.

#26 drvpaul

drvpaul

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 August 2003 - 02:46 PM

ALA, DMAE, Vit C & E CREAM

Some quick responses:

1) liquiid ALA - great (gelcaps also available at GNC in 50 and 100 mg strengths). Remember tho, this is an acid and can cause skin to sting/burn. I tried this for a few months, eventually abandoning direct application because I found it too harsh i.e. inflammatory versus anti. Use judiciously.

2) per Skinbiology - Copper Peptides can impede efficacy of topical Vitamin C (have also heard vice-versa). Regarding oral supplementation of C, check with Skinbiology.

They did confirm that their CP Serum could be used with ALA.

The recipe batch could last up to one week, depending upon how applied. Historically, I have tripled the amounts without any loss in integrity.

- Veronica

#27 stillhere

stillhere

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 August 2003 - 05:55 PM

Bump. This is such good stuff. I am not gonna forget about this alpha lipoic and keep it in my regimine somehow. Worried a little about contamination though. A week is a good estimate for the serum. Just make enough for a week and then make more?

#28 Guest_Scorpioness_*

Guest_Scorpioness_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 19 August 2003 - 12:50 AM

Thanks Veronica for the info.. that is great that the ALA will not conflict with the CP serum.... I am always afraid of mixing anything other than emu oil with the CP serum for fear of canceling out its properties.
I think I am going to mix a little ALA with my emu oil to apply over the Super CP serum and see how it goes. I am only doing this every other night as I have just began using mandelic acid on alternate nights. I will report.
The DMAE sounds great but I don't want to get lost in too many products, by not knowing what is doing what, or making my skin worse by over stimulating it too often with too many chemicals, minerals, or whatever.....:D#

#29 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 August 2003 - 12:01 PM

OK, wait a minute - just checked the ingredients of the Emu Oil I already use from Skin Biology:

EMU OIL: a peroxide-free emu oil supplemented with the super-powerful antioxidants of Ubiquinone, 7-keto DHEA, mixed isomers of natural tocotrienols, and mixed isomers of vitamin E.

So, all that needs is the ALA and DMAE (if using copper peptides)

#30 drvpaul

drvpaul

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 August 2003 - 03:40 PM

ALA, DMAE, Ester C & E CREAM

FYI...............

Have just made a fresh batch, without adding the Ester C. The oil and cream base ingredients (currently at 3 and 2 tsp, respectively) will have to be reduced.

Therefore, when mixing minus the C, suggestion is to halve the quantities of oil and cream. Mixture should be the consistency of a cream soup.

- Veronica

#31 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 August 2003 - 04:47 PM

Veronica - thanks - I can't wait to try this. I have received delivery of the ALA capusles (liquid), already have the emu oil... now just waiting on the DMAE.

My skin care regime is taking over my life ha ha... by the time I'm 70, I should have it sorted :)/

#32 billy

billy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 August 2003 - 12:21 AM

Do you think it would be ok to use bp with ala topical? Like putting bp on then 30 mins later put the ala cream over it?

#33 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 August 2003 - 06:40 AM

I couldn't be bothered to wait for the DMAE - so, last night I mixed the content of 2 liquid ALA capsules, 1 liquid C0-Q10 capsule with Emu oil and applied - it was kind of gloopy in texture, but this morning I swear there is a freshness in my face that wasn't there yesterday.. OK, guess I need to keep doing this to see how it goes, but it's looking positive so far. :)

#34 Winnie66

Winnie66

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 August 2003 - 02:58 PM

What is DMAE and where can I order it?

To Maya what is C0-Q10?

TIA

#35 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 August 2003 - 03:53 PM

Both are anti-oxidants - found in expensive face creams.

http://www.antioxida...om/products.htm

You can buy them at vitamin shops - do a search fro them on internet shops - it's normally cheaper. Look at that link Denise gave earlier on in this thread - epicure ... very good quality stuff.

#36 Guest_Scorpioness_*

Guest_Scorpioness_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 28 August 2003 - 11:42 PM

Hey Maya...
I tried mixing the powdered ALA from a capsule with my emu oil for a few nights... but I've just implemented several new skin care products (mandelic acid serum, SUPER CP serum, and manuka honey gel) into my regimen and so I am nixing my plan to buy the gel caps and be one of the gunei pigs in this experiment :)
I just wanted to tell you and others on the board that I will be very interested in hearing the results of using this with the Super CP serum. If you feel adding the ALA to the rest of what you are doing is giving you more marked, speedy improvement... I will be sure to buy the gel caps and the DHEA.... jeez, all of this stuff is getting expensive... I just spent a fortune on makeup too.... 8-[
Looking forward to the updates...

#37 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 August 2003 - 03:49 PM

Hi Scopion_Vixen

Well, my DMAE arrived this morning (after I burned my face last night with my experiential glycolic cross method!!) so I thought I'd mix it with the ALA and Q0-q10 anyway - in an emu oil base. I rubbed it on my breast too (ha ha - well, firmer would be a good thing ya know)..

The DMAE is the only powder form I have - it came in a capsule and I just broke it open, the ALA and Qo-q10 is in liquid form. It was quite grainy but I managed to massage it in quite well and just dabbed onto my bumed areas.

Yeah, this is all adding up to a small fortune for me too - there are now so many products I keep having to buy... and the list seems to keep getting bigger ](*,)

It's going to be hard to say how well this works for me in the next week or so since I have the burns and scabs to looks at - but I will keep updating.

#38 Lisa

Lisa

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 August 2003 - 12:30 AM

Hello Everyone,

I found a fantastic site through ebay. It has a product called intense gel which contains Natural Vitamin E oil, Olive & Sunflower oils, Alpha Lipoic Acid, DMAE, Vitamin C, Pomegranate & Green Tea extracts, Helichrysum, and Farnesol, our preservative blend and our mixture of Pure Essential oils .

It contains 5% alpha lipoic acid which is fantastic.

It is EXTREMELY cheap. They even offer a free sample on ebay. I just received it and have it on my skin right now. I am supposed to rinse it off in 45 minutes but am so excited I couldnt wait to post this (hehe).

Here is the link http://www.puredeming.com/products/

I would sugest you get a free sample off of ebay first. I hate wasting my money unless this is actually going to work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...item=2948041972

I have 25 minutes left for this stuff to stay on my face. I will post my results once I rinse it off.

#39 Lisa

Lisa

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 August 2003 - 01:06 AM

ok, I just got done with my treatment. My skin looks pretty good. Very nice and feels soft. My chin especially looks great. It's really too soon to tell and I would hate to jinx myself.
I am going to order a larger size. The sample size is only 1 treatment.

I will keep everyone up to date on this product.

#40 OursFan

OursFan

~ Tamara

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 August 2003 - 08:01 AM

Sounds promising Lisa. Thanks! :)