Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alpha lipoic acid/home made cream

261 posts in this topic

Arty, I didn't add the DMAE because I havn't added it in yet to my own routine! I would rather find a liquid version that is suitable for adding, and the Twinlab isn't fit for adding in. Sorry!!!!!

I do hope you go for it. It's so easy!!! biggrin.gif Give it a whirl, dude!!!! 8-[ :-s biggrin.gif/ biggrin.gif

Hi everyone!!

Ok, I need some advice:

I have a small amount of a facial anti-aging/anti wrinkle cream called Rejuvine made by a company called MRM that a friend gave me. It contains Vitamin C Ester, DMAE & Alpha Lipoic Acid. It states that the DMAE is 25 mg. The container us 4oz and I bet there's only about 1 oz left in the container.

I went to the store today and bought the ALA capsules, however when i got home I realized that they are powder capsules. I added a bunch (8 or 9 - 100 mg capsules) to the cream along with some emu oil to help with penetration. Do you think I added too much ALA powder?

Does this sounds like a good idea? I'm HOPING the cream won't break me out, since I haven't broken out in such a long time. I used this product for about a week before I received my CP serum, then stopping because this contains the C Ester.

I first mixed just the ALA powder with emu oil, but it was very grainy and then I remembered I had this cream, so I thought I would utilize the DMAE in it (even if the amount is not that great) so I added my grainy emu oil/ALA powder mixture in with the remaining portion of this cream.

So I guess I'll have to not use this concoction the morning of/morning after my weekly lactic peels, as I use the cp serum after my peels. Does that sound like a good idea? Any thoughts/suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks-

Tracy

Tracey I don't know what to tell you. You may have a product with pore-clogging ingredients, not sure. I think we all like emu oil as a base because it is proven to offer the best penetration. In other words, out of all the oils and bases out there, emu oil goes deepest into the dermis, carrying other ingredients with it.

The reason why I havn't purchased DMAE is because I want liquid and mostly what I see in stores is powder in a capsule. I'm not convinced that crushing pills is good enough to penetrate the lower skin levels, though it might be.

Therefore, that's why I recommended the ALA here on this thread. It is a liquid.

I really don't know what to offer in the way of suggestions because the only thing I know to tell you is to try it and see if it works. Other than that, if it doesn't work, then try what is suggested in this thread. The ALA at Epic4health has vitamin e in it and is a liquid and really is relatively cheap, and is a superior product.

I'm afraid if you heated the product to break the graininess down, then you would loose the efficacy of the product. Most vitamins are extremely sensitive to heat..... :-s

Hey Tracy!

Yeah, I don't think it's a problem that you've added so many capsules - maybe try a test patch area for a night first just to be safe.

The difficulties of life are intended to make us better, not bitter.

EDIT: Maya is a former moderator but unfortunately no longer posts here.

Hey Maya!!

Thanks for your input, along with Denise 2.....I'm gonna try it for a week or so, see how it works. Other than that, if it does not, I will just toss this concoction and take the powder capsules that I have internally, and purchase the liquid form with only emu oil added and go that route.....

Thanks again for such prompt replies!! Hope everyone's having a great weekend!!

I just want to say that I have made up a less potent version for my body too. I make a big jar of this but add lots of extra Olive oil and then add the other ingredients. Really helps to soften skin.

Stop tempting me Tracy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want it!!!

Just checked the shipping costs to the UK

1 little bottle costs $18.50

Shipping is between $50 and $80!! How can that be?

There is something wrong with the UK - we are waaaaaayyyyy behind with good products.

Hello group:

Glad to see you're experimenting with the "homemade" version of this terrific topical. As stated previously, you will be very pleasantly surprised with the results.............

And speaking of - I have tried many of the caplet and powdered DMAE forms. Have not purchased the liquid DMAE because of 1) cost, 2) how diluted it appears to be, and 3) I'm not convinced it will perform any better than the powders which I still use today, and maintain, they penetrate! You will both see and feel the DMAE firming/tightening your skin. Before embarking on the more costly route, I would try capsules first - you've nothing to lose.

FYI - My current brand is Bluebonnet DMAE 100 mg Vcaps.

Remember - don't use the Twinlab DMAE liquid (with PABA). Also, there is a cheaper liquid DMAE around - look on web for "Deanol". Manufacturer says this can be used topically - however, I personally have been hesitant because it contains cinnamon oil and beet coloring. Neither ingredient appeals to me.

Good luck!

- Veronica

drvpaul: You mean you don't want a beet-colored face? biggrin.gif/ biggrin.gif #-o

I received my sample of the Pure Deming Intense Gel with 5% ALA and 5% DMAE. I've gotta tell you, I put on a thick layer last night and left it on for approx two hours. I just rinsed my face afterward, did not re-wash....and this morning my face is baby soft and smooth, looks plumper--seriously!!-and feels great!!

So thanks for the link to that product. Even though it contains vitamin C, I may purchase a full sized bottle and use it on alternate days or even alternating weekly with the CP Serum.

The smell was pleasant and I didn't get the tingling sensation that the brochure said I might.....all in all...enjoyable product. Thanks again.

I'm going to stop using the super CP serum for a while and add some Vit C to my face cream instead. I think the sacyclic (spelling?) acid in the super CP is having some bad effects on me and to date doesn't have seem to have raisd any scars, but sometimes irritates and make them a little redder???

Question is - Dr Perricone advocates ascorbyl palmitate/Vit C-ester ... but can I use ascorbic power/normal vit C instead??????

MAYA,

I'm not too certain about the Vitamin C question, but I do thing that too much salicylic acid in ANYTHING has always been really harsh on my skin, similar to the harshness/effects of glycolic in products--makes my skin look leathery, old, etc....) so I think it would be a good thing to stay off the Super CP for awhile and FEED your skin more with Vit C to help soothe it. You're still gonna do the Mandelic, right, but once per day?

Hey Tracy!

I think I am going to really cut down on my skin care and do this:

Morning:

vinegar

Manuka antiseptic gel

Mineral makeup

Evening:

Mandelic 10% serum

ala home made cream with Vit C.

Once every 7-10 days, lactic peel.

I really like the sound of the ala/Qo-q10 cream in this site: http://www.epic4health.com/skincare.html which is where I am currently buying my ala and qo-q10 supplements - maybe I could use that as a day time moisteriser, the ingredients look pretty good. In fact, I think I will just go ahead and buy it since I want to order more ALA capsules from them.

About the sacyclic acid in the super CP - when I think about it now, maybe it's been this that's prolonged the red marks for me? I seem to have had better results from just the standard CP, so I will go without any CP for a month and see what difference that makes.

I seem to have had better results from just the standard CP

Hey Tracy

Since my skin suddenly plumped up again in the last day, I now realise how important it is to moisterise, especially now that I have the heating on the winter months are on their way.

So this is the day cream I have ordered off the above link - the ingredients are:

Q-Gel® (CoQ10) Ubiquinol - hydrosoluble A cutaneous energizer and antioxidant. Derma Q-Gel® is the ONLY cream that provides Ubiquinol -- the active (reduced) form of Coenzyme Q10. It is a powerful antioxidant and works with Vitamin E, Vitamin C and alpha Lipoic Acid to fight free radicals. CoQ10 is a natural vitamin-like substance found in every living cell. It provides the spark necessary to produce energy in the cells.

Vitamin E Anti-aging. Soothes sun damaged skin. Promotes suppleness. Protects against UVA and UVB radiation from the sun. Antioxidant. Prevents lipid peroxidation.

Vitamin C Anti-aging. Antioxidant. Aids in the production of collagen.

Vitamin A (Retinyl Palmitate) Anti-aging. Helps prevent premature wrinkles. Antioxidant. Vitamin A helps to clear the skin by speeding up cell turnover. It is also a natural healing agent.

Alpha-Lipoic Acid (Thioctic Acid) A natural coenzyme. A powerful antioxidant. Recycles Vitamins C and E.

Vitamin K1 Essential vitamin. Helps fade away spider veins, age spots, body lines, blotchy skin, and facial discoloration.

Vitamin D Involved in the differentation of skin cells.

Biotin It is necessary for normal metabolic processes in the skin.

Panthenol It is a precursor of vitamin B5, which is an essential coenzyme involved in cellular metabolism.

Grape Seed Extract (Proanthocyanidins), Antioxidant.

Green Tea Extract (Catechins and Polyphenols), Antioxidant.

Chamomile Extract Soothing properties.

GLA (2 Active Ingredients) GLA (Borage Oil) and GLA (Evening Primrose Oil). Gamma linolenic Acid found in oil of Evening Primrose, Black Currant seeds, and oil of Borage. Helps soften the skin while preventing excess drying.

Aloe Vera Gel A natural skin emollient. Squalane A naural skin emollient. Kikui Nut Oil A natural skin emollient. Jojoba Oil A natural skin emollient. Sweet Almond Oil A natural skin emollient. Wheat Germ Oil A natural skin emollient. Avocado Oil A natural skin emollient

------------

This should be pretty good as a day cream and not as greasy as th home made stuff. Admittedly, it doesn't have the DMAE, but I will have that in the cream at night and in the fish I am eating.

Maya, I think the Vit C ester/palmitate might be more stable for topical use. It was a over a year ago when I read his book so I can't remember, but he did have a good reason for it. Also the Jan Marini range uses it and he was a consultant to them.

I bought some Viridian Apha Lipoic DMAE complex from a mail order place called Rosemary's. It was very cheap and consists of ALA 175mg, ascorbyl palmitate 150mg, DMAE 75mg and Viridian bilberry extract, alafalf, spirulina blend 50mg (whatever all that is).

Thanks Lola.

I haven't been able to source the Vit C ester anywhere on UK sites or at my good health store - I think I might order some from a US site and add that to my night cream.

It really annoys me that the good stuff isn't always available in the UK, and when it is, it's pricey!! I often find, even with shipping costs, it's still cheaper to buy from the US.

Maya,

That cream you ordered sounds like it has some really good ingredients for the skin.

I agree with you on the moisturizing thing....I mean, what's the sense for us to exfoliate, exfoliate, exfoliate, if don't moisturize and treat the exposed skin gently!! I also agree that there is such a thing as too much exfoliation, not enough healing/recuperating time between the exfoliating.

Remember the mantra.....less is more...less is more....less is more! (he he)

I bought some Viridian Apha Lipoic DMAE complex from a mail order place called Rosemary's.  It was very cheap and consists of ALA 175mg, ascorbyl palmitate 150mg, DMAE 75mg and Viridian bilberry extract, alafalf, spirulina blend 50mg (whatever all that is).

Remember the mantra.....less is more...less is more....less is more!  (he he)

^^^ Im glad i bought the right form of Vitamin E.. But i have a question, if i remember correctly one of the added ingridients in my vitamin E was Niacin.. Maybe the niacin is from the gelcap? but is that bad for the skin?

Maya, I don’t know what those last three herbs are. I bought this because it was the only DMAE I could find in the UK and thought I’d give it a try since it was so reasonably priced. I bought a bottle of Perricone’s 5% ALA last year (not the 1% version he sells on his site). Unfortunately, it also contained 5% AHA which my sensitive skin cannot tolerate. I used the bottle on my neck and I can tell you it’s great stuff (reflected by its price and what customs & excise charged me for importing it!)

The capsules contain powder and I use a mortar & pestle to make it finer before mixing with emu, jojoba and Vit E oils. It is slightly gritty, I guess like a fine scrub (general purpose stuff!). Anyway, I use it on alternate nights with Super CP serum/Emu on the other nights, 10% mandelic acid in the mornings and my skin has improved tremendously. (Also lactic acid once a week and Jan Marini papaya enzyme mask once a week). I just wish I could get rid of the indented scars!