Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dan

Alpha lipoic acid/home made cream

261 posts in this topic

I was just having breakfast and caught a PBS thing on skin care. This guy Dr. Perricone (who I have no idea how credible he is) made a passing mention of double blind placebo studies showing a 60-80% reduction in scarring (and he mentioned acne scarring in particular) due to alpha lipoic acid. He then said something like, "everyone should be supplementing with alpha lipoic acid, anyone interested in their skin should be using it topically". Something like that. So I'm not sure if he was referring to reduction in scarring due to taking alpha lipoic acid internally or topically.

Thought you guys might want to know. I checked out pubmed.com but couldn't find the studies. Perhaps I was searching under the wrong keywords.

-Dan

I just dug this up about ALA. It's an antioxidant. No mention of how it would help skin directly. Maybe its something you use externally on scars?

Alpha Lipoic Acid [Nervous, Glandular] is often called the universal antioxidant. It is both fat- and water-soluble and can cross any membrane in the body. Consequently, Alpha Lipoic Acid can protect the integrity of the cell membrane as well as offset cell stress. Alpha Lipoic Acid also promotes mitochondrial activity to help keep your body and its tissues young. It also enhances the efforts of other antioxidants, helps support the body’s natural removal of toxins, and offsets oxidative stress. In addition to its antioxidant properties, Alpha Lipoic Acid directs calories away from fat production and toward energy production, supports blood sugar levels already within the normal range and enhances the nervous and cardiovascular systems.

Dr. Perricone has sold countless books and has been around for a while. I've used all the supplements he suggest and i can't complain. My skin is very nice. But I get occasional breakouts. Always have. My sister swears by all of the supps too...and she's talked to her doctor about them, he seems to agree they are helpful.

I've been taking ALA internally for 3 month now - has done nothing to my scars. I think Dr P means taking it as an external topical, since he sells creams with them in. They are extremely expensive though.

The difficulties of life are intended to make us better, not bitter.

EDIT: Maya is a former moderator but unfortunately no longer posts here.

I take flax seed oil which has this in it and it is good for the skin and healing, I think it has helped along with vitamin C and zinc. However, I did dole out the big bucks for the ALA cream at GNC, it is suppose to be just like the one in his wrinkle cure book and all it did was break me out. Maybe I should have just used it on the scars, but I can even get clogged pores in my scars. :D I also had a problem with emu oil and olive oil breaking me out. If you buy this stuff for a topical just be warned 8-[

Allison said: "I take flax seed oil which has this in it and it is good for the skin and healing, I think it has helped along with vitamin C and zinc. However, I did dole out the big bucks for the ALA cream at GNC,"

Question for Allison or anoyone else: Should Vit C & Zinc be used as a topical cream or taken as supplements?

Thanx!

Jen

No man is "above" me - ever. I am the one to be worshiped, admired, catered to and respected. All women should feel that way. And if you feel that low of yourself that you define yourself as a man's woman, then I feel sorry for you - NOT!

Hi! I take them as supplements, they are added to a b vitamin complex I take for stress, I think the zinc has helped alot since I had always taken vitamin C but when I added the zinc things seemed to heal faster! Vitamin C is in a lot of lotions and is good too!

Thanx Allision!

But wouldn't a multi-vitamin have all the minerals I need?

Jen

No man is "above" me - ever. I am the one to be worshiped, admired, catered to and respected. All women should feel that way. And if you feel that low of yourself that you define yourself as a man's woman, then I feel sorry for you - NOT!

Hi all. I have been following this board for a while now. After reading this post I thought I would become a member and share my own experience with Dr. Perricone's products. About a year and a half ago I decided to have the laser procedure to reduce some of my acne scarring. I was then advised to use a couple of these products. The two I had were the Alpha Lipoic Facial Firming Activator and an eyecream. The facial firmer did work to plump up the skin where my scars were located. This was only as long as I remained on the product. My problem was that it was just way to greasy. My face did start breaking out after using this. I even stopped and restarted to see if this was what the problem was. Sure enough as soon I started using again I started breaking out again. I had the same problem with the eye cream. I even broke out around the inside corners of my eyes (a place I had previously had no problems with). This is not to say that everyone will have the same experience I did. Just thought I would share. These products are not cheap and I thought everyone should know some of the risk before purchasing.

Tracy

Thanks for sharing Tracy. Those products are way overpriced! That's too bad they didn't work for you though.

Yes, thank you for letting us know. I was considering purchasing the ALA but now you've got me thinking twice about it.

~ Tamara

You cannot perceive beauty but with a serene mind.

- Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)

Visit My Claravis Journal

Saw the special with Dr. Perricone a while back and rushed out to buy the alpha lipoic acid supplement. Stopped using it for some reason but the other day I found a supplement claiming to help block the sun. This product was made by Bella vita and was at an outlet (dollar tree) for NO JOKE -- 1.00.

Looked this product up on the internet and it retails for 30.00.

Oh and the product contains ALPHA LIPOIC ACID. Cool. Cause the supplements arent cheap but not too bad at the drugstore. Well anyway, I bought 2 bottles of this stuff (1.00 per bottle), took it yesterday and today and today I'm noticing white dots on my skin. Possibly from sunscreen applied unevenly. hmm. But anyway this product contains green tea extract -250 mg, lipoic acid-- 50mg, lutein --3 mg, selenium 100mg(147%rda) Im thinking this product could have some benefits. Think i'll stock up as the bottles dont expire till 5/04. Anyone else know of this product.

"Bella Vita Rejuvenation Sun Shield"? PS -- this is a supplement (pill) not a creme.

"We are only as happy as we allow ourselves to be"

Some people have reported improvement with Dr. Perricones products, but usually in conjunction with other products/techniques, so its hard to tell how much is due to his stuff. He does have patents on a few of his products and supplements, so waiting for a cheaper generic version wont pay off. But, alpha lipoic acid seems to be gaining in popularity with some manufacturers, its not patentable, and you can find it in some products like "Jason" brand as well as "cammocare gold" series products (chamomile based stuff which in traditional medicine is often recommended both for skin and hair). And, his stuff is WAY expensive. I havent heard much from the ALA people lately, but in the previous incarnation of this board, there were some who raved about it, for a while.

I'm just taking it in the supplement form as I dont want to shell out 95$ or so for the perricone brand. I think it may be ok. Also read a post saying it broke someone out. The topical perricone brand may be geared toward "mature skin".

ALA in a tablet form is very expensive here. I managed to track down a 300mg/180 tabs for a reasonable price at some body building site. I guess as this stuff becomes more mainstream the prices will fall. I even noticed they sell Coenzyme Q-10 in supermarkets now, although it is pricey.

"As you think, so you are. As you imagine, so you become"

Actually, I can honestly say that the 5% ALA solution really is the best thing out there for red marks and superficial scars.

I don't buy it anymore because it's incredibly expensive, but the ALA is found (in clinical studies) to eat scar tissue. Now keep in mind i'm not not talking about keep scarring or whatever, but red marks and superficial scars ONLY.

The issue is that you have to buy the 5% solution. The cheaper brands don't have that kind of concentration of the acitve ALA. I've used Chamocare, Jason's, and Perricone, and Perricone is definately the best for the quickest results.

I had some that I didn't use for a while but have been using it on my recently needled areas to get rid of the red marks and whatnot quicker.

It probably can break you out too. I only spot treat my cheeks in places that were needled only, and not all over my face.

That's my buck fifty.

After many months of tirelessly researching manufacturers' product/ingredient lists, physician and nutrition sites, message boards and printed matter, I began concocting my own version of the very expensive Alpha Lipoic and DMAE cream (the 5% solution) - with GREAT SUCCESS.

The final version (which I've been using since January) has reduced, if not eliminated my excessive sebum production, drastically reduced the size of what once were gaping pores, greatly softened my ice pick and rolling scars, and the DMAE component has lifted my skin so much so that I look 5 - 10 years younger (no exaggeration)!

I have been told I am beautiful. The last time I heard that was when I was 12 years of age, prior to the acne onslaught.

I no longer carry around oil soppers and now apply my make-up once a day vs every hour! In addition, the ant-inflammatory action of this cream has virtually eliminated the red, splotchy look I suffered for decades. And all of this is so for so little cost..........

Before attempting to make your own, you may want to invest in a small pill-crusher or mortar and pestle. This helps to crush solid pills and even further breaks down the powder you will pour out of gelatin capsules.

Try to purchase the purest ingedients you can find (read the labels on the back of the supplement bottles) and the preference is always liquid or powder forms over solid tablets - altho ALL work when crushed.

THE RECIPE

Mix together contents of the following:

4 x 100 mg DMAE capsules

4 x 100 mg Alpha Lipoic Acid capsules

1 x 1000 mg Ester C capsule

4 x 400 I.U. Vitamin E capsules

3 tsp olive oil (or emu or jojoba)

2 tsp Cetaphil Cream for sensitive skin (or another neutral/inert cream)

This may need to be shaken each time before use (it will separate). I apply each evening before bed (it's too grainy to be worn during the day). It may leave a residue on the pillow case - which washes out.

Can also be applied over Retin-A - if you wish.

Since everyone's skin is different, you may want to tweak the cream vs oil concentrations - however absorption is critical, and I found better penetration with the higher oil content - WITHOUT ANY BREAKOUTS!

Good luck - I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised.

- Veronica

Hi Veronica - thanks for the recipe - definately worth a go!! I think I'll miss on the Vit C as I am using copper peptides but everything else looks great!!

The difficulties of life are intended to make us better, not bitter.

EDIT: Maya is a former moderator but unfortunately no longer posts here.

I had previously tried mixing the alpha lipoic capsules with a light lotion but just did not keep it up. I think I may try again since I have most of these ingredients already. Beats paying the $95 for the perricone serum!!

Thanks!

Are the vitamin e capsules you're using the liquid kind? I mixed some of my alpha lipoic capsules with a light q10 lotion i already had last night. Also dabbed a bit of vit e on a few lines and wow. This morning my face is not oily at all and looks a bit smoother. Having been using estee lauder perfectionist serum for almost a week now with no results yet. I will continue to use the alpha lipoic acid as I think this may really be good.

ALA, DMAE, C & E CREAM

The Vitamin E I use is liquid (gelcaps) altho a dry form could also be used if pulverized first.

And yes, for those Copper Peptide users, the cream should be made without the Ester-C component.

A final thought - the cream (which may be gritty - and that's OK) should be lightly massaged into face and neck to help with absorption.

- Veronica

If I use skinbio.com CP Serum can I use your formula with or without Vitamin C - Ester?

Why can't I mix topical copper peptides with Vitamin C?

Is it ok to take internal vitamin C while on CP?

Thanks in Advance.

drvpaul your post got me to thinking...... :-k

I know that ALA applied topically works FANTASTIC on red marks and fades them very quickly, faster than anything I've tried. The Perricone ALA at 5% really is a good product but very expensive.

So when I read about your post, I got to thinking about the oral ALA I take. I order it from Epic4Health online and that is where I get my fish oil also. I find their products to be far more superior and cheaper than most anything you can get in the store. They even got some kind of HUGE endorsement from some important agency on their CO-Q 10 supplement as it was clinically tested and found to be far superior to any other on the market. So I decided to see if I could rub the ALA in my skin, so I busted open the capsule and rubbed it on my face.

So I wanted to post the link here and let you guys know that you can get ALA in liquid form (it's combined with vitamin e also) and that might make it easy on you. You get 90 capsules for 15 bucks; like I said, this company has very good products. Their odorless, tasteless, fish oil is the best I've ever tried.

http://www.epic4health.com/lipalac.html

Denise: Thanks for the link..... please let us know how the ALA gelcaps work when broken open and rubbed into the scars.... If the effect is similar to the Perricone serum that would be great....

I used to use the Skin Eternal ALA serum which is an imitation of the Perricone formula, and I don't know what percentage of the ALA it contained.... probably 2% and not the 5%.... I did notice though, an improvement in my skin tone and texture... and I was using the product with lactic peels at the time. When I ran out, I replaced the ALA serum with the copper peptide serum, and have been on the peptides ever since and have now started using the SUPER CP serum.

I have been taking alpha lipoic acid for a couple of years now and have found that when I take it with certain foods, I don't break out as much since it helps so much with blood sugar levels. It only kept me clear in conjunction with other supplements... and now I am on spiro also and getting great results on that so far.

Thanks so much for reminding me of this stuff. I have to get some new vit-e capsules today as I'm all out. I use them under my eyes every night.

I used my alpha-q10 lotion under my normal moisturizer today then put makeup over it and skin seems to look pretty good. I will continue using the alpha lipoic as I think it will help some with overall skin appearance. I also take a supplement containing it as well.