Photo

I am cured. It was the diet after all.

paleo

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
64 replies to this topic

#41 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 24 April 2004 - 09:00 AM

^Umm...I don't think he's coming back. His last post was Dec 11, 2003. wink.gif
Life is but a breath. Here is my story...

#42 Exocet

Exocet

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 May 2004 - 05:28 AM

Well, I'd like to know as well, could some people who are, or have been on a diet like this, make a list of what their typical day looked like, eating wise? So what 'd you take for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and maybe in betweed? I mean; I can't imagine replacing a lunch by just eating some nuts right? Or mayby I'm just not creative enough...

#43 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 28 May 2004 - 10:20 AM

Easy.....eat healthy!!! Avoid all the bad stuff. But in any case, if your liver is too congested, then eating healthy may not help as quickly as you may think.
Life is but a breath. Here is my story...

#44 Locnar

Locnar

Locnar

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 May 2004 - 01:30 PM

No Stones? and you've never flushed them out? How do you do it? Maybe your "meridians" are just in better alignment. How did you get them aligned?

lol.gif :blink: razz.gif
Locnar

Reviled but not restrained.

#45 flim flam

flim flam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 May 2004 - 04:07 PM

Lol....Locnar and BenKweller, you guys remind me of people in the middle ages who kept insisting the Earth was flat, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.
The sad thing is you might have cured your acne by now and wouldn't be here anymore if you'd open your minds the tiniest bit rather than regurgitating what you've been told by the medical establishment.

#46 Locnar

Locnar

Locnar

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 28 May 2004 - 10:16 PM

Overwhelming Evidence. Now if you could just produce any evidence whatsoever. That would be nice.
Locnar

#47 flim flam

flim flam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 May 2004 - 01:53 PM

QUOTE(Locnar @ May 28 2004, 10:03 PM)
Overwhelming Evidence. Now if you could just produce any evidence whatsoever. That would be nice.

You don't have to look very hard on the internet to find enormous amounts of anecdotal evidence of the diet/acne link.

Just out of curiosity, what do you think causes acne? Do you think it just randomly appears on people's faces?

If there's anything specific you want to know about how acne is related to diet, the liver and general health I'd be happy to explain it to you.

#48 Sam The Man

Sam The Man

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 May 2004 - 02:29 PM

QUOTE(flim flam @ May 31 2004, 10:40 PM)
If there's anything specific you want to know about how acne is related to diet, the liver and general health I'd be happy to explain it to you.

Ok. Let's take my mother for example. She had a bad case of acne when she was younger that left her with scars. The acne disappeared when she was about 25 or so. What happened? Did her diet chance? No, that i know. Did her liver suddenly start to work properly? Did the stones in her liver melt away?

I'm 28 and suffer from acne. Is there something wrong with my liver or diet? If there is something wrong with my liver or it is full of stones and doesn't work properly, why isn't there an increase in my liver enzymes levels?

I'm trying to understand this, so please do explain.
Who wants to be normal? Who wants normal results? We want to be exceptional. Exceptions confirm what is not normal

#49 cashewboy

cashewboy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 May 2004 - 05:40 PM

for the dieters who don't have it completely cured

2 reasons IMO
1) You aren't cutting out a few things that have hidden carbs
like soysauce?

2) Exercise , you need to exercise to clear away the last 10% of acne.

#50 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 May 2004 - 06:52 PM

LOL, Cashewboy, you are so correct!

Getting 8 hours of sleep or regular sleep helps along with Exercising. The two things I dont do very well. I strive to get more sleep than I do bother to workout. Hmm, I definately need to come up with a regimen this summer then. Besides, it's just healthier for our bodies overall =)
These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):
* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)
* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002
* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)
* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):
* 1/18/08 Ultimate Colon Cleanse (30 day program)

Research:
* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).
* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

#51 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 May 2004 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE(Sam The Man @ May 31 2004, 02:16 PM)

Ok. Let's take my mother for example. She had a bad case of acne when she was younger that left her with scars. The acne disappeared when she was about 25 or so. What happened? Did her diet chance? No, that i know. Did her liver suddenly start to work properly? Did the stones in her liver melt away?

I'm 28 and suffer from acne. Is there something wrong with my liver or diet? If there is something wrong with my liver or it is full of stones and doesn't work properly, why isn't there an increase in my liver enzymes levels?

Sam,
I don't know if I can answer all those questions, but a diet change alone doesn't work for everyone. Of the people on these boards that I've met and/or worked with there was 1% or 2% that dietary changes didn't apply. Of course, usually they were limiting their diets too much or they didn't bother to eliminate other foods, but for them it was enough proof that diet didn't work.

I can't be certain, but each generation's health problems seem to worsen. So if your mom was 25 when she cleared, maybe you will be 30 when you do. I highly doubt she did anything to dramatically alter or improve her health, but I am curious as to whether she now has other health problems. Is she overwieght, diabetic, have high cholesterol, etc? Was she taking BC at that time?

As for your liver, yes you can determine if certain enzymes are elevated or too low based on a liver panel. However, since the are many enzymes that the liver regulates, a liver panel alone could never tell you which enzyme specifically you may be deficient in. In order to do that, you would need a battery of tests, which is why I always encourage long time sufferers, and early sufferers, to visit an endocrinologist.

Hope that helped some =)
These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):
* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)
* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)
* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:
* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).
* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

#52 Locnar

Locnar

Locnar

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 May 2004 - 10:54 PM

QUOTE(flim flam @ May 31 2004, 12:40 PM)
QUOTE(Locnar @ May 28 2004, 10:03 PM)

You don't have to look very hard on the internet to find enormous amounts of anecdotal evidence of the diet/acne link.

Just out of curiosity, what do you think causes acne? Do you think it just randomly appears on people's faces?

Anecotal evidence is nice, but it doesn't prove anything. There is no strong evidence linking diet and acne. There's some, but nothing concrete. So far nothing but ancedotes. Anecdotes frequently don't hold up under controlled studies, because when you account for all the variables, there's no effect left.

Acne is a disease. I can't tell you the causes, treatments, etc, because I'm not a doctor.

What qualifies you to tell me about diet, acne, and the liver? Are you a doctor? Biologist? Have you done any research? Can you site any? Are you just going to tell me the same old anecdotes and send me to curezone?
Locnar

#53 flim flam

flim flam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 June 2004 - 02:30 AM

QUOTE(Sam The Man @ May 31 2004, 02:16 PM)

Chances are her acne disappeared because her hormones stabilised, since acne is ultimately hormonal.

There isn't necessarily something 'wrong' with your liver - it just may not be working at an optimum level. A congested liver doesn't cause acne as such, but it can be a major factor.

#54 flim flam

flim flam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 June 2004 - 02:56 AM

Anecotal evidence is nice, but it doesn't prove anything. There is no strong evidence linking diet and acne. There's some, but nothing concrete. So far nothing but ancedotes. Anecdotes frequently don't hold up under controlled studies, because when you account for all the variables, there's no effect left.
There has never been a properly controlled study on diet and acne, since it's not really in anyone's interest to fund one.

Acne is a disease. I can't tell you the causes
Okay, I'll tell you. Acne is caused by overproduction of sebum in the skin, which is caused by heightened levels of dihydrotestosterone (DHT) interacting with the sebaceous glands. The difference, in simple terms, between people who get acne and people who don't is that people who do have higher levels of DHT.

The reason acne and diet are linked for many people is that ingesting (say) glucose results in a blood sugar spike, which results in a higher level of insulin production, which (simply speaking) results in a testosterone increase, which results in heightened DHT.

I understand your scepticism, I really do, but people don't just make this stuff up. What I've just said has been backed up by a lot of testimonials of people who have discovered a direct link between their acne and diet/general health (not to mention the fact that acne has been shown not to exist in areas of non-western diet). Until someone does a properly-controlled study that's the best we can do - it's up to you whether you believe it or not.

#55 Sam The Man

Sam The Man

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 June 2004 - 08:52 AM

QUOTE(flim flam @ Jun 1 2004, 11:43 AM)
The difference, in simple terms, between people who get acne and people who don't is that people who do have higher levels of DHT.

I understand what you are saying. But it can't be just the excess sebum production stimulated by heightened levels of DHT. I know people who use exogenic testosterone to build muscle mass, so their local DHT levels will rise too, right? And these guys use pretty high amounts of stuff. Some get acne, but some don't. So there is something wrong with the removal of the dead cells within the glands, so that the sebum gets trapped. If the sebum gets out, it doesn't really matter how much of it produced. Or am I totally wrong?

A lot of other things affect testosterone levels besides diet. Exercise for example. Exercise, especially resistance training raises your testosterone levels. If you are abdominally obese, losing weight will increase your testosterone levels. So when you stop weight training and get really fat, your testosterone levels will plummet. :blink:

I have never heard that insulin spike will raise testosterone levels. Can you explain that a little more?

Speaking of anecdotal evidence. I've been in a ketogenic diet for a few times. For 2 months at a time. Basically no carbs and no insulin spikes, other than the ones that protein causes and I didn't notice any change in my skin condition. That's why I have such a hard time believing that diet is a such a major factor in acne.
Who wants to be normal? Who wants normal results? We want to be exceptional. Exceptions confirm what is not normal

#56 Locnar

Locnar

Locnar

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 June 2004 - 10:44 AM

Flim Flam: I'm getting really tired of you saying that no studies have been done concerning diet and acne. The last time you posted that, I pulled up several studies after only minutes of research. That statement fits into your theory of the evil pharmacutical/doctor conspiracy, but it's a plain lie. Studies are done about diet and health ALL THE TIME. For example the recent finding on Lycopene and prostate health. Stop spreading this lie.
Locnar

#57 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 June 2004 - 01:12 PM

Here (note the dates on those studies): [my comments]

"Diet and Nutrition in Acne Treatment
As stated earlier, Western medicine no longer considers acne to be a food-related condition, and physicians seldom ask patients to change their diets as a means of treating acne. However, some alternative therapists do make changes in the patient's diet as part of treatment. Experts from both schools of thought concede that chocolate, fats, and other foods do not cause acne, but they are unsure if these foods aggravate the condition.

Subjects receiving a high-protein diet (44% protein, 35% carbohydrate, and 21% fat) showed a substantially less 5-alpha-reduction of testosterone [DHT]and an enhanced cytochrome P-450 hydroxylation of estradiol [liver enzyme, (bad) estrogen elimination], both therapeutic goals. A high-carbohydrate diet (10% protein, 70% carbohydrate, and 20% fat) had the opposite effect (Kappas et al. 1983).

Foods high in iodine should be eliminated, and milk consumption (due to high hormone content[IGF-1]) should be limited. Trans-fatty acids and high-fat foods should also be eliminated [IGF-1]. Meats and poultry that originated from hormone-supplemented [GH, IGF-1] animals should be avoided at all costs.

Concerning diet in the treatment of acne, it is best to avoid or even eliminate all refined or concentrated carbohydrates and limit high-fat and high-carbohydrate foods. Focus your attention on avoiding foods that contain trans-fatty acids and iodine [only aggrevates in LARGE amounts].

The Role of Sugar in Acne

Many years ago, one researcher, in discussing the role of glucose tolerance in acne, actually coined the term skin diabetes to describe acne ( Cohen et al. 1959). One study comparing the results of oral glucose tolerance tests in acne patients showed no differences from controls. However, in another study, repetitive skin biopsies revealed that the skin glucose tolerance of acne patients was significantly impaired ( Abdel et al. 1977).

Although the role of sugar in acne is debatable, avoiding foods and snacks with high sugar levels may be helpful in controlling acne conditions for some persons, but even more important are the overall benefits to general health of avoiding sugar. Considering the known dangers of sugar intake (increased risk of obesity, Type II diabetes, etc.) high-glycemic index carbohydrates should also be strictly avoided by persons with acne. Refer to the Obesity protocol for information about the glycemic index and glycemic load [not always the best protocol].

Note: Chromium is related to blood sugar. Therefore, the more sugar [and high fructose corn syrup] we consume, the more chromium we need. Most people consume far too much sugar, providing an environment for a deficiency of chromium. Interestingly, researchers have found that people with unstable blood sugar levels also have a high incidence of severe acne. Chromium supplements [polynicotinate or nicotinate] have been demonstrated to boost the ability of the body to utilize glucose. High-chromium yeast is also known to improve glucose tolerance and enhance insulin sensitivity (McCarthy 1984) (refer to the section on chromium below for more about the role of chromium supplementation in acne)."

http://lef.org%20%20acne/

"Hyperinsulinemia associated with insulin resistance has been causally linked to all features of the syndrome, such as hyperandrogenism, reproductive disorders, acne, hirsutism and metabolic disturbances. "
http://www.ncbi.nlm....t_uids=14973410

"BACKGROUND: In westernized societies, acne vulgaris is a nearly universal skin disease afflicting 79% to 95% of the adolescent population. In men and women older than 25 years, 40% to 54% have some degree of facial acne, and clinical facial acne persists into middle age in 12% of women and 3% of men. Epidemiological evidence suggests that acne incidence rates are considerably lower in nonwesternized societies. Herein we report the prevalence of acne in 2 nonwesternized populations: the Kitavan Islanders of Papua New Guinea and the Ache hunter-gatherers of Paraguay. Additionally, we analyze how elements in nonwesternized environments may influence the development of acne. OBSERVATIONS: Of 1200 Kitavan subjects examined (including 300 aged 15-25 years), no case of acne (grade 1 with multiple comedones or grades 2-4) was observed. Of 115 Ache subjects examined (including 15 aged 15-25 years) over 843 days, no case of active acne (grades 1-4) was observed. CONCLUSIONS: The astonishing difference in acne incidence rates between nonwesternized and fully modernized societies cannot be solely attributed to genetic differences among populations but likely results from differing environmental factors. Identification of these factors may be useful in the treatment of acne in Western populations."
http://www.ncbi.nlm....t_uids=12472346

Here's the ENTIRE 18 Page article: http://www.thepaleod.....ses Final.pdf

It was a very eye opening article for me, and encouraged me to see connections beyond the words Diet & Acne and to start looking at the science of what it is in our diets that would contribute to, as well as how it is that Acne can be formed to begin with. This is why I love this study because this gets across the point that many many of us have been trying to tell others. Genes alone doesn't equal acne, but environment alone doesn't either. It's a combination of Gene-Environment interactions that will determine what kinds of symptoms you end up with. If you alter your environment, you can also alter the way certain genes are expressed. This is what happens everytime we change skin care products, change detergeants, change our diets, or when we take a supplement, or we take a prescription drug, or air pollution, stress etc

Outside of the above, there hasn't been a specific clincally controlled study between dietary factors & acne. There are the highly faulty chocolate studies, but otherwise, what we hear about are the Case Studies, Surveys, & Observations done on other countries. Those are great, but doctors and science won't back this until we put all of these individual pieces of the puzzle (soo many pieces) together and do several (due to several factors) real experimental studies that are specifically looking for acne. When we do, 100% is not likely, but I doubt we'd get only 50% success. Even on these boards, of those that have tried (multiple) diets before hitting the jackpot, we have a much higher success rate, than not.

Bodybuilders understand this process, so why don't others? http://www.thinkmusc...don/diet-01.htm

So yes it does depend on a persons sensitivity level to the amount of hormones they produce. 90% of acne sufferers are only sensitive to DHT in the sebacious glands, while producing normal amount of hormones in the blood. There's other pathways of producing DHT or an Inflammatory Response, without spiking insulin. Until you've gone through the entire lists of foods (that you eat) you can't be certain that there isn't a dietary trigger for you. That doesn't mean a supplement or prescription wouldn't help or eliminate your acne though...but not everyone is that lucky.

Of course, in the end it does depend on how effecient your liver is at breaking down and eliminating these (excess) hormones from your body. If you are not eating healthy foods (plenty of vegetables, fiber) that promotes liver health and are eating foods that inhibits your livers functioning (some of those above), then acne, or some other symptom of this problem, will result. Again, it comes down to your own gene-environment interactions...

I, by far am not perfect at eating right, but I'm getting there

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

#58 Sam The Man

Sam The Man

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 June 2004 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE(SweetJade1980 @ Jun 1 2004, 09:59 PM)
Subjects receiving a high-protein diet (44% protein, 35% carbohydrate, and 21% fat) showed a substantially less 5-alpha-reduction of testosterone [DHT]and an enhanced cytochrome P-450 hydroxylation of estradiol [liver enzyme, (bad) estrogen elimination], both therapeutic goals. A high-carbohydrate diet (10% protein, 70% carbohydrate, and 20% fat) had the opposite effect (Kappas et al. 1983).

I couldn't find a full text of that study, but it doesn't say anything about the carbohydrates. What kind of carbs were they eating? Very few people eat 70 % of their energy from carbs, in here anyway. Basically we eat meals that have carbs, protein and fat, so the glycemic index doesn't really tell you much at all.

I'm not saying that increased testosterone levels don't cause the worsening of acne. I've seen it happen a lot of times when injecting large amounts of exogenic testosterone. But there are other factors too. I for example have never been totally clear while using Accutane. Sure my face is dry as Sahara and the sebaceous glands are shrunk, but my face is not clear. The pores get plugged even without excess of sebum.

Testosterone levels fluctuate for many reasons, not just because of the diet. Many people say that stress causes them to break out. Stress lowers testosterone levels. As I said resistance training increases testosterone levels. Falling in love lowers testosterone levels in men. wub.gif

A question to the people whose acne has disappered after changing their diet. How bad was your acne and how persistant?

#59 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 June 2004 - 05:17 PM

Sam,

Here's the original study to that article.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....8&dopt=Abstract

I do not push for the elimination of all carbohydrates. I abosolutely believe that there are good and bad carbs. Within those that have been touted as Good carbs (because of their fiber), some of them actually induce a greater Insulin Resistant Response, despite being low on the glycemic index. That's why I don't even bother with the Glycemic Index or Load, because it's not always an accurate indicator of how foods will affect your hormone levels.

Physical stress can reduce Insulin Resistance, thus lower testosterone levels, but if you carb load with that, it does the opposite. For those that live constantly in a state of stress, to the point that their adrenal glands are overactive, that can cause an imbalance and produce excess testosterone (hyperadrenalism, hypercortisolism).

On another recent diet thread, I mentioned how bad and persistant my acne was. At the age of 17 and 20, my Free Testosterone levels were 450% higher than the "high norm" for a female. Sadly enough, my Free T levels were about what the average man would produce. I also have abnormally high DHEA levels for females and males! I am so fortunate that acne & mild hirsutism was pretty much the bulk of how my genes chose to express this.

I have low-normal estrogen levels and estrogen is important in helping to bind Free Testosterone. Both Free Testosterone and DHEA androgens can be converted into DHT, which is suspect for most acne sufferers. Medications barely dented my DHEA levels, but they did affect my Free T. BC decreased that 50% and the addition of Spiro reduced it another 30%, but I still produced more than a female should... and it showed. So that was a total of 80% (or 360% if comparing female levels) decrease which was only about as clear as I would get during the summer, otherwise I was around 60% - 75% clear the rest of the year.

I've been dealing with my hormonal imbalance and acne for 16 years now. Females are supposed to produce more Estrogen than Testosterone, but I still have a Higher Testosterone to Estrogen ratio. Of course, this is somewhat thanks to my parents. I've got overwieght and some obestity on my moms side (her bad acne disappeared) and Diabetes Type II (Insulin Resistance is the precursor) on my fathers side. So dietary changes (w/o meds) and the results that I've had, do make sense for me. Unfortunately it only solved half of my hormonal problems (incl. ceasation of menstrual pain), the other half requires some form of a DHT Inhibitor or Blocker to alleviate hair loss and mild hirsutism.

So that's me, 99% clear and still researching ;-)

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

#60 katie_s

katie_s

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 June 2004 - 06:14 PM

Avoid starches, but I can guarantee you that your energy levels will eventually flag. Not worth it.

Not true at all. If you had NO carbs that would be the case, but fruit and veg are full of carbs.

I experienced a surprising boost in energy when I eliminated sugars and grains. I can actually leap out of bed awak in the morning- that's definitely a new thing for me.