Photo

I am cured. It was the diet after all.

paleo

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
64 replies to this topic

#21 ritzvin

ritzvin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 June 2003 - 06:13 PM

Avoid starches, but I can guarantee you that your energy levels will eventually flag. Not worth it.

I agree. Drastically altering your diet in the hopes of getting rid of acne is totally not worth it.

If you read my post "To those also suffering from anxiety, depression, fatigue"; you'll find out that I had felt the same way. Then I learned that all my other problems were caused by the sugars and starches (that I AM addicted to). Of course, I've had all the classic symptoms of hypoglycemia for the last 15 years without knowing the cause, feeling like I'm losing my mind this whole time, only to learn that this is almost common today and is caused by my body's reaction to being flooded with sugars and starches. But I do agree - had I not learned that, I wouldn't have been willing to make the attempt to cut starches out of my diet (oh how I love white bread, especially when it has that ever so slightly sweet flavor) (I don't consider my relatively mild acne worth it).

#22 Mitternacht

Mitternacht

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 June 2003 - 08:32 PM

Like someone said, (I can't remember if it was this thread or another one), cutting out sugars/starches would be a huge diet change for me. I'd be willing to try if it was better for me and helped acne, but I don't know. I'm perfectly healthy otherwise, aside from the acne.

#23 Guest_romafan53_*

Guest_romafan53_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 18 June 2003 - 11:33 AM

So..whole wheat and oat meal are ok or no no's??

#24 sixofnine

sixofnine

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 June 2003 - 06:04 PM

USER, how much fruit do you eat? You say that have tried diet change and it didn't work for you. Too much fruit can aggravate symptoms associated with candida. One of candidas symptoms is acne. People that have used prolonged antiobiotics in the past are susceptible to it. I notice when I stay away from fruit, sweet fruit, my skin looks better. I do eat fruit, but only berries and things that are less sugary. Just a thought.

#25 Etnu

Etnu

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 June 2003 - 05:16 AM

something I need to point out here:

blahblah, that's completely and wholly wrong. If you never ate a carbohydrate, you would die. Everything has at least some amount of carboyhydrates, therefore the only way to not eat them would be to not eat. and you would die.

The reason why refined carbs cause problems is because they've only existed for about a hundred years or so, give or take, and only in the amounts we eat them in now for the last 20 or 30. Evolution takes thousands upon thousands of years to adapt to a significant dietary change...our bodies simply aren't prepared for it.
>_<

#26 blahblahblah

blahblahblah

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 June 2003 - 10:04 AM

well no shit sherlock, i was just making a point. there is no such thing as an essential carbohydrate.

if you want to play with technicalities, i can run through your entire uneducated post and pick out many things you've stated about food and point out the false information, but only false based on technicality.

don't be stupid.

#27 tableforone

tableforone

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 June 2003 - 10:12 AM

so let me ask you people on this diet.. are you enjoying your diverse diet of nuts, lettuce and olive oil? i'll be damned if i have to eat that for the rest of my life.

oh, and i give you three factors that are probably key to the "islanders" good skin mentioned in this paper. one is that these people probably spend a minimum of 6-8 hours a day in the sun. try that and watch how much your skin clears up. if you get copious amounts of daily sun your skin will be dramatically clearer. second, their diets consist of mostly fish and plant products. fish provide important omega-3 fatty acids, as well as tons of vitamin A. vitamin A is known for its positive effects on skin (what do you think accutane is modeled after? .. and why does it work so well?) third, these guys drink water. they're not guzzling down 12 packs of mickey dew and dr. pepper every day.

in my opinion, it is not the elimination of foods, it is the ADDITION of foods that is far more important. how many people have a diet rich in fish, fresh fruits and vegetables? hardly any. their idea of fresh food is subway. try scrapping your diet of double quarter pounders and biggie fries and try some salmon, fruits and vegetables and see how you do.

oh, and do you not think these island arseholes don't eat bread? c'mon.

#28 blahblahblah

blahblahblah

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 June 2003 - 01:47 PM

i don't do these acne diet things at all, i'm just chipping in

my diet consists of lean meats, supplemented essential fatty acids as well as other good fats (think flax oil, fish oil, nuts, natural peanut butter, olive oil), vegtables, a slight amount of fruit (due to the fact that copius amounts of fruit have absolutely 0 benefits, and can actually have adverse effects), and my only carb source is whole, unprocessed oatmeal

why? because i eat for fuel not taste. as cliche as that sounds, thats how it is for me. and because i'm not a typical american - i train, and i'm a marine. i can't do what other people do and stuff myself full of refined, or even low gi carbs. it just doesn't work for someone who's goals are to have an efficient body.

in my opinion, if doing something as simple as cutting bread out from your diet is so unbelievably hard then you are a very weak person. i'll never understand it, but whatever.

i am not a supporter of acne diets because in reality they leave you lacking a lot of nutrients. it's stupid. eat clean, it isn't hard.

#29 sixofnine

sixofnine

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 June 2003 - 05:19 PM

I pretty much eat the same as blahblah and I don't see why it's really hard. It's just a whole food diet. I do it for health reasons, but if acne goes away forever in the process. hell yeah!

#30 njacobs

njacobs

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 June 2003 - 10:48 PM

oh, and i give you three factors that are probably key to the "islanders" good skin mentioned in this paper. one is that these people probably spend a minimum of 6-8 hours a day in the sun. try that and watch how much your skin clears up. if you get copious amounts of daily sun your skin will be dramatically clearer. second, their diets consist of mostly fish and plant products. fish provide important omega-3 fatty acids, as well as tons of vitamin A. vitamin A is known for its positive effects on skin (what do you think accutane is modeled after? .. and why does it work so well?) third, these guys drink water. they're not guzzling down 12 packs of mickey dew and dr. pepper every day.

...and the study does not take into account these people's genetic predisposition to even get acne. Perhaps they are not predisposed to getting acne at all.

#31 Etnu

Etnu

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 June 2003 - 03:18 AM

I think it's funny that people who have never even tried it are so dead-set against it.

Try it. It works. Just eliminate the refined carbs. You don't have to eat only nuts, lettuce, and olive oil. You just have to stop eating the pretzels and candy bars.

I couldn't care less if you *don't* want to try it. If your skin is fine without it - GREAT! If you're suffering from acne, though, I honestly don't see what you have to lose by going a few weeks without a sandwich.

..and the study does not take into account these people's genetic predisposition to even get acne. Perhaps they are not predisposed to getting acne at all.

Absolutely....WRONG! The studies all discuss this. They also point out the simple fact that there are at least 2 major cases of environments where there was no Acne, and it began appearing after the introduction of a western diet. The first case was the Inuits in Alaska, and the second was the Hawaiian islanders. Both populations had clear skin until they began eating western diets around the time that they became US states.

Did you actually even look at the studies being referenced here, or are you just making things up?

Again - try it. Or don't. It's not like it will cost you anything but a little bit of extra time to not eat the extra crap. Nobody is trying to sell you anything, nobody would have anythign to gain from this.

"Acne" diets (meaning most of the ones that you pay some ridiculous fee for) are stupid. Yes, they might work a bit, but they usually have you cut out things that are totally unecessary. I'd never advocate one of those. I'm just suggesting that you stop eating refined breads and sugars for a couple of weeks.
>_<

#32 user

user

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 June 2003 - 04:43 AM

The diet I do is SCD (www.scdiet.org). I do it to help with my IBS, rather than to improve acne, that was just going to be a good side effect. I am always trying our new topical treatments for acne / acne scarring, especially since finding this forum. It's so hard to tell, if your doing a million things and half of them are new, what is causing your acne.

The only thing I know definately makes me breakout is peanut butter / peanuts.

I do eat a lot of fruit (to whoever asked) but mostly bananas (overipe ones, with no green on them, as much more of the sugar has been "digested" in the ripening process).

I found other effects like more energy, less body fat, better sleep etc. etc. a lot more helpful than the actual improvements in acne with the diet (there are too many other factors affecting acne and I just get so tired of always wondering why my skin is worse one day than the next, its probably stressing about it that bloody causes it all anyways, hehe).

The only reason I can stick to the diet (fruit, vegetables - not potatoes -, honey, olive oil, eggs, SCD yogurt - homemade yogurt to ensure lactose is not present -) is because
a) it's for "medical reasons" which just somehow makes it easier to stick to.
B) I'm really skinny now and I fit into my favourite pair of trousers that I bought when I was 16, haha.

note I used to literally ONLY eat pasta, noodles, pop corn and bread before going on this diet, so this was a COMPLETE turn around for me, and it hasn't been easy.. watching people stuffing there faces with pasta and sanwiches and ice cream and chocolates :D

#33 :)

:)

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 June 2003 - 04:36 PM

Diet does play a large part if not most. It is always better to have less Acne, agree? If it reduces acne after a few months..........you may eventually have less and less for years to come if you continue with good diet.

#34 :)

:)

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 June 2003 - 04:39 PM

Diet does play a large part if not most. It is always better to have less Acne, agree? If it reduces acne after a few months..........you may eventually have less and less for years to come if you continue with good diet.

#35 entic

entic

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 June 2003 - 10:25 PM

i eat no refined carbs and get plenty of omega 3s, etc etc. my diet is on point. i still get acne. its different for everyone. i have no real triggers... its just always there. not severe, but i scar badly.

#36 Feiph

Feiph

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 28 June 2003 - 12:56 PM

I'm asian... so I eat white rice with almost every meal.. grrr.

#37 entic

entic

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 June 2003 - 02:27 PM

feiph-i'm sure you can get your family to switch to brown if you go on about the health benefits

#38 sally

sally

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 June 2003 - 06:22 AM

feiph-i'm sure you can get your family to switch to brown if you go on about the health benefits

I am Asian too. Lunch and dinner, I eat white rice, my parents eat white rice, my grandparents eat white rice, and their forefathers ate white rice.

So when I bring this up to my mum, she thinks I am mad.

It is going to be expensive and time-consuming to make the change. I still want to though.

#39 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 April 2004 - 01:58 AM

*bump*

Interesting...
Life is but a breath. Here is my story...

#40 KT

KT

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 April 2004 - 08:25 AM

Rbtp - I'm very intrigued by this.... Would you mind giving a specific list of what you ate in the way of carbohydrates? Also, how long did it take before you noticed a result? I'd love to try this diet, but am worried about alcohol - I think it would mean giving up beer, wouldn't it?! What do you drink in the way of alcohol?

Thanks